• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

xyt

Smash Lord
so many fests.. hehe
i don't remember who you are damon ? @_@).. have we played
i know you were at mowfest and recorded a bunch of vids.
i cant remember a face though..

Damon180

Smash Ace
guy with the backwards hat on and glasses. i think your sheik fought my link and chain threw me to oblivion, i still won though ;). i'll be helping to run elkomo's event and mow's next one. i'll also be throwing my own in october. hope to see you pittsburg fellas at one of those :).

xyt

Smash Lord
guy with the backwards hat on and glasses. i think your sheik fought my link and chain threw me to oblivion, i still won though ;). i'll be helping to run elkomo's event and mow's next one. i'll also be throwing my own in october. hope to see you pittsburg fellas at one of those :).
ok.. my memory is failing me.. i do remember chaining a link.. but that was cape..
and i won that one.. @_@)... pretty close considering all the gayness i put into that match..
but that's besides the point.. we'll have to face off again ;)

xyt

Smash Lord
i had a sudden urge to watch ssbm vids on youtube of low tier characters..
can you guys throw me some names of who to look for?
ness? pichu? dk? roy? etc. etc.
i heard gimpyfish n taj are good for bowser n mewtwo..
all the tourny fights are top tier.. so.. yea..
throw me some suggestions guys!

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
xyt:

Roy-Neo

DK-Bum

Ness-Just type in "Its a trap" and watch that 1 million times

Pichu-No clue...

pockyD

Smash Legend
azen for pretty much everybody. also...

luigi - ka-master
pikachu - chudat, -chad-
gnw - dire, plus chudat has 1 or 2 up
kirby - krazykirbykid

ness - simna
pichu - chudat
roy - neo, masashi
DK - bum, captain jack, mikemonkey

pockyD

Smash Legend
Link - GERM, Aniki
Young Link - Caveman, Chudat
Yoshi - Fumi, svampen
Zelda - UMBREONMOW (he has like 1 vid out -_- otherwise he'd be on for a lot of these too), Ryoko
Bowser - Gimpyfish, Arash
Mewtwo - Taj (duh)

most char specific boards have video threads where they link relevant videos of all the big names that play those characters; i'd recommend you check them out

xyt

Smash Lord
Link - GERM, Aniki
Young Link - Caveman, Chudat
Yoshi - Fumi, svampen
Zelda - UMBREONMOW (he has like 1 vid out -_- otherwise he'd be on for a lot of these too), Ryoko
Bowser - Gimpyfish, Arash
Mewtwo - Taj (duh)

most char specific boards have video threads where they link relevant videos of all the big names that play those characters; i'd recommend you check them out
ah ic : D i knew there besides young link @_@)...
but yea i'll have those a look : D~

A-Laon

Smash Master
Check out Anther for Pika, Drephen for Luigi, and Sethlon for Roy as well.

Btw, Rob:

If you don't drive us all to the upcoming Escape tourney on the 18th, your ranking is being revoked for inactivity and your Young Link is getting time out and a spanking.

xyt

Smash Lord
all i know about euro smash is that .. marth's spike is a meteor..
anything else i should know? ... and just for the fun of asking..
why so many changes???

pockyD

Smash Legend
yoshi is mad heavy

back half of falco's dair is weird

sheik's dthrow and uair got nerfed

those are the important ones (along with marth dair -> meteor)

also no EXTENDERRR

A-Laon

Smash Master
why so many changes???
According to the European smashers I've heard discuss these changes, it was mainly done in an attempt to balance out the high tier characters with those below. Unfortunately, the lack of spiking in the latter half of Falco's dair is very easily compensated for (if ever even necessary to) and Peach didn't get any real downgrades, hence instead of creating a balance, everybody just plays Falco and Peach.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i find it interesting that sheik is even more highly rated in PAL (where she tops the tier list) than in NTSC, especially since sheik supposedly received the most nerfing

xyt

Smash Lord
what is nerfing??? what is PAL??? what is NTSC???
and by yoshi getting heavier do you mean he became a fast faller?
if it's just to downgrade high tier characters..
why was yoshi moded? and not other chain grabbable characters? (y.link, link, pikachu etc.)

so.. nintendo decided to just release one version of the game in the states and japan and after trial
decided release a more "BALANCED" version in europe?

YES!! more answers--> more questions!! DISCUSSION!!! KACHA!!

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
yoshi got heavier, which does not mean he falls any faster, but means he gets far less knockback when hit horizontally.

in general, the rule is that each character has 2 properties, fast fall and weight, which work somewhat independently from each other:

1. the heavier you are, the less you will be knockbacked horizontally, and thus harder to be knocked off the stage horizontally
2. the faster you fall, the less vertical knockback you receive, and the harder it will be to knock you off the top of the stage, i.e. star finish you

yoshi can not be chain grabbed by sheik, but i don't think that was specifically a boost to yoshi, but a nerf to sheik. so i believe that sheik cannot chain grab other characters as well.

xyt

Smash Lord
yoshi got heavier, which does not mean he falls any faster, but means he gets far less knockback when hit horizontally.

in general, the rule is that each character has 2 properties, fast fall and weight, which work somewhat independently from each other:

1. the heavier you are, the less you will be knockbacked horizontally, and thus harder to be knocked off the stage horizontally
2. the faster you fall, the less vertical knockback you receive, and the harder it will be to knock you off the top of the stage, i.e. star finish you

yoshi can not be chain grabbed by sheik, but i don't think that was specifically a boost to yoshi, but a nerf to sheik. so i believe that sheik cannot chain grab other characters as well.
Now that's just absolutely gay.

pockyD

Smash Legend
weight also affects vertical knockback

sheik's dthrow was changed to allow significantly more horizontal DI; i don't believe she can chainthrow anyone in PAL. in fact, she can barely combo out of it

Nakamaru

Smash Master
As glad as i am to hear Sheik getting nerfed thats really effing gay.

Me and alan are off to cape fest today, so we'll post crap on sunday/monday as to how it went.

takieddine

Smash Master
I guess no one wants to play, oh well.

As for a new topic of discussion, our first returning weekly, where do we want to hold it.

Swift and I have discussed how the lag problem can be fixed in the Nitespot.

Who is planning to/wants to purchase component cables to fix the lag?

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I'm going to have one when I get back, so thats one HDTV without lag. I also belive that the Wii wires are compadible with e gamecube as well so you might as well buy them for the Wii that u have/gonna buy right?

step up

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
yeah, but its a bit tougher from over there, me and justin know this from experience. >_>

edit: Ive been looking up on he interent about the HD component cables and appartently the wii ones arent backwards compadible wit the gamecube as I thought(unless someone tells me diff). In this case i'd suggset hat everyone with a Wii get the Wii cables, because 1: the gamecube ones are expensive and rare 2: wii = gamecube killer so no use buying GC for cheap anyways. Now I probly wont have any, unless i get a Wii b4 i get back >_>

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
I already have wii component cables.
so, when I first got my wii, I tried playing it on my plasma TV with the composite cables that came with the wii, and I experienced terrible lag.
more recently, I tried to see if the component cables helped out the lag on my plasma TV, but my control variable, the laggy composite cables, didn't lag at all. so I couldn't see if it was the cables that were helping the lag.
Therefore I have to assume that the aspect ratio between those 2 sessions had changed and that the aspect ratio that the TV is set to is the deciding factor when it comes to lag.

Also, Wii cables are NOT compatible with the GCN because the cable will not fit in the GCN.

if you guys REALLY want to try out the component cables, I'll bring mine, but I doubt its going to solve this issue completely. at the very least we can play in 480p instead of 480i, which is nice.

also, you should make sure that the TV's that are there have component input. idk if you've already checked them out, but I haven't seen the TV's that are there.

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Ive done the same experiment as D!ck and still had lag problems. Whens the official weekly? Not tomorrow, but next Friday I hope, because I move in the 24th, and I'd like to smash with you guys 2 more times before I leave. Also, what time tomorrow? I don't think I'll bring that TV, because it will just be me and shawn coming, if at all.

Damon180

Smash Ace
im still willing to play, but i wont be available till like 7pm :).
gimme directions and a number in the next 20 mins and ill go.

Top Bottom