• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
as far as i'm aware, hdtv lag occurs because the resolution that the cube runs on and the resolution that the hdtv runs on don't match, so it takes time to convert frames into the tv's specifications.

as of now, there aren't really any perfect or cost effective solutions to this, i hear progressive scan helps a lot, but it isn't a standard feature for most hdtvs/lcds.

reserving morewood for smashfests is easier than kevin suggests. last year, **** chang essentially just sat in there as soon as his classes finished around 2pm. people don't come in until 6 or later to actually use the TV. But by then enough ppl should be in the TV lounge to discourage any other groups from using it.

Most freshmen don't use the TV lounge early in the year because they don't know about it, the TV lounge is located in D tower, where the freshmen are mostly located in a seperate complex at opposite end of the building.

its not technically fullproof, but if the situation arises that we would need to get formal reservations for a room i'd be willing to do that.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
If it matters I think we should stay at Duquesne because well...I'm going there this year.

If it helps I plan on bringing a non-lag tv for my dorm room so I can play smash in there whenever, so there is always the option of me bringing said tv to taki's "new game room" bringing the tv total to a whooping 3.

Pittsburgh sucks.

A-Laon

Smash Master
This sig is the product of a long rant on the way to Ohio regarding Ash's stubborn Pikachu refusing to evolve to fight Lt. Surge's Raichu. We thought we'd set things straight.

<3 Raichu

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
A-laon, i'm getting my team ready for friday, bring your DS, or if anyone else wants to, for that matter.
How did you manage to do all this so quickly taki I really must know because now I am considering putting a team together...eventually.

takieddine

Smash Master
I played the crap out of the game...>_<...getting a baton pass modest yawning espeon...

My team currently is (I got skarm, starmie, and rhyhorn ready, i'm working on espeon, and blissey.) I havnt decided items yet

Blissey-Serene grace-Leftovers
Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Thunder wave
Ice beam

Espeon-Synchronize-modest
Yawn
Psychic
Baton-pass
Grass knot

Starmie-Natural Cure-modest
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice beam
Rapid spin

Skarmory-impish-Sturdy( i wanded keen eye, but i got lazy)
Spikes
Roar
Steel wing
Drill peck

Rhyperior-adamant-rock head
Brick Break
Earthquake
Megahorn
Rock wrecker

Dusknoir
Mean look
Toxic
Pain split
Night Shade

Thanks to all the breeding i had to do, I now have a level 81 ditto....yeah, ouch...

A-Laon

Smash Master
Serene Grace on Blissey? Big no-no.

Also, I'm really not too sure how effective Wave/Beam Blissey is without Toss.

Steel Wing on Skarmory? Wtf?

Purpose of Baton Pass on Espeon with no stat boosting moves?

Also, I'm not real familiar with Dusknoir -- is Night Shade really his best offensive ghost option?

takieddine

Smash Master
Blissey's serene grace + Ice beam, its good ****.
why would I need nat cure if i have aromatherapy?

Skarm is probably getting roost instead of steelwing, but i thought i'd want it instead of roost because i had nothing else good against ice. Ice kinda kicks my team's *** ATM..

i was split on getting grass knot for countering things like (t-tar and milotic) or calm mind for good use of the b-pass.

as for dusknoir, he doesnt have many offensive options for attack, good ghost moves use special attack , he doesnt have much of that.

what i'll change is espeon:
shadow ball
grass knot
psychic
yawn
I was planning a special sweeper anyways...

and roost on skarmory

if blissey learns grass knot, i'm replacing t-wave with that, i cant breed toss on it in d/p...

also alan, magnezone ***** the **** out of your team...except garachomp...

TSK

Smash Apprentice
I will be at duq on friday, probably between 3-330, looks like quite a few people might show... we need more TVs :(

Taki you should of told me you wanted an impish skarmory, I could have easily bred you one with drill peck, roost, whirlwind and pursuit lol.

Also why 2 special walls and no physical sweeper? :\

My shiny team only has 2 members ready, but maybe I'll try and work on it some more for friday.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Let's say I afflict your Blissey with a status condition. Natural Cure allows you to switch into a counter pokemon AND cure that condition in one turn. Relying on aromatherapy to cure yourself is giving me free hits / switches. Getting the reliable healing of Natural Cure is typically a better choice than banking on Serene Grace working out for you.

And yeah, as I've said, my team is nowhere even close to final. I haven't worked on it at all. But anyway, you saying Magnezone has something over Rhyperior? Sure, magnet rise removes my earthquake, but the turn they take to rise gives me a free sub, and then comes the punch.

takieddine

Smash Master
not against a gyroball Magnezone son!

anywho, yeah i see your point about blissey, i guess its not too late (since i havnt bred for it yet).

I was thinking an espeon combo of calm mind b-pass into blissey w/ ice beam?

Rhyperior can get hit and hit harder, so i dont need speed....

dusknoir is an overall wall(405 def and spec def maxed out), skarmory is a wall, blissey is a special wall

the roles are
blissey special wall(duh)
skarmory(spiker/wall/ it can attack too thats why i wanted steelwing/drillpeck)
rhyperior main attacker/wall
espeon special sweeper (somewhat of a special sponge)
starmie(special sweeper/rapid spinner)
dusknoir(annoyer tank)

sweeping is somewhat over-rated, especially if you're against a gay jolteon with t-wave.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
@ least its not as bad as WoW talk. Now thats horrible.........

Controller mod paint options

black front white bottom(white buttons)
white front black bottom (blk buttons)
orange front(not GCN orange but like lighter) white bottom(white buttons)
white front orange bottom(not GCN orange but like lighter) (orange buttons)

i wanna do a spilt color thingy and I want either black or white in @ least half of the controller.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
@ least its not as bad as WoW talk. Now thats horrible.........

Controller mod paint options

black front white bottom(white buttons)
white front black bottom (blk buttons)
orange front(not GCN orange but like lighter) white bottom(white buttons)
white front orange bottom(not GCN orange but like lighter) (orange buttons)

i wanna do a spilt color thingy and I want either black or white in @ least half of the controller.
Just be warned, painting your controller can make it feel mad weird, and dont paint the control stick/C-stick with the plastic paint cause that stuff rubs right off.... .__. I still dont know how to get it to stick... Primer wore off to.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Just be warned, painting your controller can make it feel mad weird, and dont paint the control stick/C-stick with the plastic paint cause that stuff rubs right off.... .__. I still dont know how to get it to stick... Primer wore off to.

nah im leaving all of the grey buttons(+ control stick) untouched(jump etc.) because i dont wanna mess up functionality. Im using sandpaper to get the paint off and I heard that primer isnt specificly needed but that a clear coat is for protection and long lasting strength is.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
nah im leaving all of the grey buttons(+ control stick) untouched(jump etc.) because i dont wanna mess up functionality. Im using sandpaper to get the paint off and I heard that primer isnt specificly needed but that a clear coat is for protection and long lasting strength is.
If your just painting the body, then all you really need is give it a light sanding, one coat of paint, very fine sanding, another coat, and your golden. Just dont touch it for like 2 days.

TSK

Smash Apprentice
As I said, I should be there around 3:00-3:30 with my cube again...

sadly my shiny team is only like 2/3 done and I can't decide what the last pokes should be :(

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
I'mma critique this real hard and break it down nice and soft for ya.

My team currently is (I got skarm, starmie, and rhyhorn ready, i'm working on espeon, and blissey.) I havnt decided items yet

Blissey-Serene grace-Leftovers
Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Thunder wave
Ice beam

Drop Ice Beam and put in Seismic Toss or else Blissey is garbage. If you really want Ice Beam that bad (I've had some success surprising Tyranitars and Salamences on the switch in with that, b/c they usually are used to counter Blissey if a team lost it's Blissey counter) then drop T-Wave. I have not idea what the new metagame is so I would go with T-Wave because it stops sweepers and thats what the metagame is looking to be. And also like Alan said Natural Cure is too good on Blissey. For one you can't Aromatherapy out of Sleep, and two Aromatherapy out of Paralysis isn't always a sure thing. Granted Serene Grace is pretty good on Blissey with Ice Beam and Thunder (Not T-wave), but Natural Cure is so much better.

Espeon-Synchronize-modest
Yawn
Psychic
Baton-pass
Grass knot

Change it to a special sweeper set or drop it all together. I would lean towards dropping it because you have Starmie as a sweeper which I love and you need something like CBGross, CBMence, DDTar, or Heracross (I suggest CBGross).

Starmie-Natural Cure-modest
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice beam
Rapid spin

My favorite set for Starmie...I think I suggested it to you...

Skarmory-impish-Sturdy( i wanded keen eye, but i got lazy)
Spikes
Roar
Steel wing
Drill peck

Roost. Screw Steel wing no one plays mono-ice types.

Rhyperior-adamant-rock head
Brick Break
Earthquake
Megahorn
Rock wrecker

I'm more in favor of the SubPuncher set because I just don't feel like Rhyperior can be a physical sweeper without BP Speed support. I'm not sure what Rock Wrecker is but there is no way in hell it can be better than Stone Edge in this set, if you stick with it. I'd try this set-up:

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute / Megahorn / Avalanche
- Substitute / Megahorn / Avalanche
Item Attached: Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Its probably alot like what you have just a few tweeks. Mostly the fact that he is using his enormous HP to take the first hit (because he is going to have to) and hopefully drop em with a super effective. Solid Rock also helps a ton with his multiple special weaknesses, which are his downfall for sure. I'm not sure why you had Rock Head on him in the first place seeing as you don't have a recoil move in the set :p.

Dusknoir
Mean look
Toxic
Pain split
Night Shade

I've heard big things about Dusknoir being a decent physical attacker and nice all around wall, 135 (I think) base stat in both Ds, but I don't know much about him beyond that so I can't give much advice. You already have the two best walls from each spectrum on your team so I think he is a bit redundant. I'd consider a BPer like Umbreon or Ninjask. Or maybe keep the Espeon and drop him for CBGross. I'd run this moveset but there are like a million to choose from:
Dusknoir@Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 SDef
-Ice punch
-Will-o-wisp
-Pain split/Mean Look
-Thunderpunch/Shadow punch

Use his base 100 Atk to abuse the fact that he can learn all the elemental punches, and the fact he can sponge any type of hits like crazy.

There you go have fun. These are the changes I would make if it were my team.

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
*trying to ignore post about pokemon*

i'm considering actively finding more smashers from school this year. its kind of wierd though, newer smashers are kind of in a weird spot because brawls comng out soon. =/

and i changed my sig, not that the last one wasn't gansta enough, i just felt inspired for a change of things. still none of that animated gif shiet.

takieddine

Smash Master
I'm changing the espeon to a bpasser:

psychic
calm mind(works well with an ice beam blissey no?)
bpass
grass knot/shadow ball

I was gonna go with ninjask, but imo he is lost space on a team, i wanted a bpass espeon that can act as a sweeper too.

I have no fast poke's because relying on speed sucks, walls are where it's at.

as for blissey (****it...i can only have aromatherapy on it(egg problem)
bold/leftovers/nat cure
aromatherapy
soft boiled
u sure i can breed toss on it?
and ice beam.

I forgot my DS today, so no getting pwned...

Top Bottom