• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for coming to the event guys!

Here are the results:
1: BenStiller******69 ($101.50)
2: Laudandus ($29.00)
3: SilentSwag ($14.50)
4: Nakamaru
5: Vudujin
5: Green Ranger
7: Rest
7: Dark Wing Duck
9: Da Shuffla
9: Ting
9: JabGrab
9: Igor
13: Evan
13: KaramjaRum
13: Nipslap
13: Savage
17: RoodyPoo
17: Gene
17: Laine
17: Pepe
17: Zach
17: I'll be back
17: Jbro
17: POWS
25: Boof
25: 8==D
25: FairBair
25: VI
25: Dawnstar42

BTW: Nakamaru, you left your power strip here and Silent Swag found $5 on the floor which was not part of the pot money, so someone claim that.

I'm thinking of making these monthlies or bimonthlies or something, with either no entry fee and no pot or a lower entry fee (like $1-2) and a smaller pot, because **** Taki he shouldn't get that much money.

Vyke

Smash Champion
I don't LIVE in Butler, damn it, and I followed because I thought "Hey, maybe Swanny's GPS had some super quick shortcut!" but no

It just wanted us to get murdered in that dirt-road dead end with a single lamp post and shady looking buildings.

jbro

Smash Ace
i wanna commentate full time. would people let me do this at their tourneys?
i feel like i would need to do it by myself or have a partner that knows what they're talking about.
saturday most of the time i did it alone and it was cool but with not many people in the chat room it got a little boring.
commentating with aaron was awesome. commentating with jacob was cool except he was clearly exhausted (not hating, i was hallucinating by grand finals).
the dude that i was commentating with for the last half hour was really cool and pretty funny for the most part but was a brawl player so didn't know anything and was just talking about random **** while i was trying to talk about the last (and most important) few matches.
i dunno. but i thought it was fun as all hell and i wanna do it all the time.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Alan, would you be interested in helping with a feature length independent film that documents a moment of your life consisting entirely of an inner monologue with you in your room?

jbro

Smash Ace
Alan, would you be interested in helping with a feature length independent film that documents a moment of your life consisting entirely of an inner monologue with you in your room?
how the conversation the other night got to this was mind-blowing
but also pure unadulterated genius

A-Laon

Smash Master
Oh Jacob, you always know just how to appeal to my blatant narcissism. <3

I'LL HAVE TO CHECK MY SCHEDULE.

...........lol...........

Vyke

Smash Champion
i wanna commentate full time. would people let me do this at their tourneys?
i feel like i would need to do it by myself or have a partner that knows what they're talking about.
saturday most of the time i did it alone and it was cool but with not many people in the chat room it got a little boring.
commentating with aaron was awesome. commentating with jacob was cool except he was clearly exhausted (not hating, i was hallucinating by grand finals).
the dude that i was commentating with for the last half hour was really cool and pretty funny for the most part but was a brawl player so didn't know anything and was just talking about random **** while i was trying to talk about the last (and most important) few matches.
i dunno. but i thought it was fun as all hell and i wanna do it all the time.
I feel casting is best done between two people that have a lot of synergy in common. Bouncing things back and forth and catching things that the other person may have not, not to mention both need knowledge of the finer points of the game (such as how one player DI'd and why they did in a certain combo, etc.)

Shaking off jitters and being able to talk in front of a mic is something a lot of people sort of struggle on. Tripping on words and relaxing are a big part of it, getting over these also helps keeps things smooth and relaxed, not to mention less awkward comments and more actual funny dialogue that doesn't rely on mindless hype or being bias towards either player. Some people just aren't built for casting... such as having what people think is an unattractive voice.

I really like casting. I'd really love to do it as a job. Hell, I'd travel to tournaments just to commentate on them... but my knowledge of melee isn't up to snuff for it.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Go for it jbro. If you want to try it we can bring a mic or something to weeklies and you can commentate our little mock tournaments for experience. IMO listen to a lot of wife's commentary. He is without a doubt the best smash commentator. He knows how to add hype without going over the top, and also how to inform with viewers without sounding boring.

One tip i can say is that if you mess up and say something wrong. Just roll with it. Like if it is ganon vs sheik and you say ganon's name while talking about sheik. Just keep going as if you handn't said anything wrong. It'll either be funny or people will correct it themselves. It also can add for a lot of banter if you have a co-caster to work with.

Another person (people) to look at if you're serious about it is Taste-tosis. They commentate Starcraft GSL matches. They are (IMO) the best video game commentators ever. You can learn a lot from just watching their videos even if you know jack squat about starcraft.

jbro

Smash Ace
I feel casting is best done between two people that have a lot of synergy in common. Bouncing things back and forth and catching things that the other person may have not, not to mention both need knowledge of the finer points of the game (such as how one player DI'd and why they did in a certain combo, etc.)
Agreed. Carroll showed interest in being a partner. Also did some work with Vudu and Lake on Saturday, both were fun.

Shaking off jitters and being able to talk in front of a mic is something a lot of people sort of struggle on. Tripping on words and relaxing are a big part of it, getting over these also helps keeps things smooth and relaxed, not to mention less awkward comments and more actual funny dialogue that doesn't rely on mindless hype or being bias towards either player. Some people just aren't built for casting... such as having what people think is an unattractive voice.
I don't have a problem with this. It doesn't make much sense, because I used to have crippling social anxiety. I still have issues with talking in front of people. For some reason, though, talking into a microphone at a computer screen doesn't give me a problem. I would imagine this comes from online gaming, I do it every day. As for an unattractive voice, I do mumble sometimes when I'm just talking to friends, but I think I keep it at bay when I know people are specifically trying to understand what's happening. I've heard casters with annoying voices. I don't think I'm like that, but to each their own opinion.

Go for it jbro. If you want to try it we can bring a mic or something to weeklies and you can commentate our little mock tournaments for experience. IMO listen to a lot of wife's commentary. He is without a doubt the best smash commentator. He knows how to add hype without going over the top, and also how to inform with viewers without sounding boring.
I would be down to do this.

One tip i can say is that if you mess up and say something wrong. Just roll with it. Like if it is ganon vs sheik and you say ganon's name while talking about sheik. Just keep going as if you handn't said anything wrong. It'll either be funny or people will correct it themselves. It also can add for a lot of banter if you have a co-caster to work with.
There was a few times where this had to happen on Saturday, but I just went with it. The only things I had to fix and apologize for was when I told everyone and casted a match like it was a tournament match, only to find out it was a friendly (which I can't really even take blame for because no one was telling me anything).

takieddine

Smash Master
I think we're over-thinking smash commentary...all you have to do, is literally scream profanities into the mic and sound like you're constipated and having an orgasm at the same time.

Top Bottom