• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
sup.........
Margaret Morrison lounge, starting now, smashing. The lounge is around the bottom of the stairs that lead up to my apartment building for those who know where that is. We plan on being there most of the day.

Rob: Just go to Margaret Morrison St Pittsburgh PA, 15213. Look for parking (if you can't find it, the parking garage is free on weekends) and then just go across the street from the food trucks and you should see the place where were playing.

pockyD

Smash Legend
who is electric boogaloo and why is that not you in the finals

and secondly, i can't believe it's actually you that's using "fawken"... you really are a sheep with your vocabulary :(

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
who is electric boogaloo and why is that not you in the finals

and secondly, i can't believe it's actually you that's using "fawken"... you really are a sheep with your vocabulary :(
Zig Zag and 4%, they're in game 5 grand finals.

I'm not a sheep with my vocabulary, I'm way worse. Every sentence out of my mouth is a big jumble of stupid phrases I've thought were funny in the past.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Is there a results thread? There wasn't one this afternoon, and the internet is really slow right now, so I don't feel like looking.

EDIT: nvm, found it

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lies!

its just differ, melee and brawl are both aweomse IMO lol

i gotta come to pittsburg sometime and smash with u guys. iv heard good things

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
lies!

its just differ, melee and brawl are both aweomse IMO lol

i gotta come to pittsburg sometime and smash with u guys. iv heard good things
all the differences in brawl have vastly simplified the game and taken away all the aspects that make me love melee. Combos and Edge Guarding have been almost completely nullified as factors in the game, and the removal of dash dancing has made spacing much much simpler. In short, everything that made melee an innovative and great fighting game has been maliciously removed from Brawl. While I can agree that this doesn't necessarily mean that Brawl is terrible, it means that the game has to show me a hell of a lot more than it would have if they had just kept l-canceling, non-auto sweetspots, and dash dancing. And thus far, I haven't seen anything to make me get over what they did to destroy the game dynamic of melee... [/TUNES THREAD POST]

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
what would've been the point of releasing the exact same game -_-
lol, classic Pocky post, I love it. Anyway, that's not what I'm saying and you know it. I'm merely saying that rather than taking melee as a shell and improving on it, they deliberately took out everything (and I mean everything) that the competitive melee scene is based on. For example, Melee took 64 as a shell and improved on it. They realized that l-canceling is what made aerial combos possible, so they kept it in, and then improved where there were flaws in the game. In brawl, they tore down the whole foundation of smash and gave us something new. It's a ballsy move and it may pay off if there's some hidden genius in Brawl, but as a melee fan, I'm constantly upset that the framework behind the best competitive fighting game ever was disregarded when they were making a sequel.

pockyD

Smash Legend
because the vast majority of nintendo's profits don't come from the competitive gamer - they come from the casual player who smashes in his college dorm or plays with his high school friends when they happen to already be over - this product is geared to sell towards them, not you -_-

it sucks but their reasoning is pretty sound

on another note who's going to play online with me on sunday

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
because the vast majority of nintendo's profits don't come from the competitive gamer - they come from the casual player who smashes in his college dorm or plays with his high school friends when they happen to already be over - this product is geared to sell towards them, not you -_-

it sucks but their reasoning is pretty sound

on another note who's going to play online with me on sunday
that reasoning is fine, but melee was the only reason Gamecube sold at all between 2004-present, and it sure as hell wasn't just the competitive gamers that were buying it. Casual players still loved melee, gearing the game towards competitive players wouldn't reduce sales to the casual gamers, simply due to the nature of smash (it's a game based about your favorite characters from other games beating the crap out of each other, who wouldn't want to buy it?). I mean, I'm not in sales, so I might have the wrong perception of this, but it just seems like the game sells itself regardless of whether it has tournament depth or not. I don't honestly think there would be anyone out there who would be like, "OMG, they kept wavedashing in!? wtf, I'm not buying this piece of ****!!"

EDIT: If I weren't on spring break, I'd smash with you online on Sunday, but I will be away from Wii until the 16th/17th.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i know that on a purely "fun" level, i'd rather have brawl with all the newness than melee + new chars/stages

sure, it won't affect sales of this generation, but if people see that brawl and melee are basically the same thing, it could drastically affect how the NEXT game in the series does (yeah 6 years away, but when you run a company you should definitely be thinking about these things)

wavedashing didn't make sense to begin with - i don't actually know what happens with an airdodge-into-ground in brawl (i still haven't played it :( ) but if you should have just locked into airdodge animation while hugging the ground to begin with

i have very very mixed feelings about giving up l-canceling - imo it does actually add depth but at the expense of slowing the game down drastically

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
what would've been the point of releasing the exact same game -_-
i wont participte in the same convo that we've read a million times up here but i'll say this:

madden
street figther 3 series( secondimpact/third stike)
tekken series
virtual fighter
soul calibur
devil may cry series
the capcom vs series(marvel, xmen vs street fighter)
Guilty Gear

the latter have ALL been millions of dollars of success in the years and they released sequels etc that have been almost identical. The "if its not broken dont fix it" attitude worked quite well for these developers. note that majority of them are fighting games 3d and 2d

*tries rly hard to not post more stuff and engage arugement*

pockyD

Smash Legend
i actually have a very hard time believing that any of those (except for madden) were successes among casual gamers on anywhere near the same scale as smash

what I do remember is (from the last time i played 2d fighters regularly lol... I'M OLD)

SF2 - everyone had it
Super SF2 - fewer people had it
Super SF2 turbo - slightly more than super sf2 but still nowhere near the original sf2 (60 bucks is a loooot to blow when you don't have any income)

Mortal Kombat - everyone had it
MK2 - actually a lot of people had this too - I liked it a lot ;)
MK3 - not very many people had it
MK4 - how many people even know this existed

Edit:
my point is that it seems that you're looking at this from the POV of a gamer - I'd actually guess that the majority of "casual smashers" you know are actually gamers too that just happened not to choose smash as a primary game, but you probably forget about the MANY other demographics that ssbm touches because you don't come into contact with them in any regularity

Top Bottom