• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official OMG Tonight Prediction Thread

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Well, Falcon still isn't in all the F-Zero...

...But most likely he will stay
Well, yeah, in the side-game set in the future, of course he wouldn't be present. But he's pretty much made himself the main icon of F-Zero. Unless that title belongs to Rick Wheeler, which I hope not, Rick originated in the anime and was sh-tty.
Bull****. Lucas is no more the main star of MOTHER than any individual Final Fantasy character is the main star of THAT franchise. Not even Cloud (though he sure comes pretty darn close).
Uh, yeah he is. Hate to break it to ya, but Lucas is just a newer version of the Mother main character concept. The concept is that the player is supposed to literally be "You" like in most RPGs. Lucas is the most recent one, like how Ness was the most recent one and he was chosen from Smash 64 at the time.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Uh, yeah he is. Hate to break it to ya, but Lucas is just a newer version of the Mother main character concept. The concept is that the player is supposed to literally be "You" like in most RPGs. Lucas is the most recent one, like how Ness was the most recent one and he was chosen from Smash 64 at the time.
Yeah, I've seen people use this logic to try to debate the player characters in Pokémon essentially being empty vessels to stick the player into, and I don't buy it there either. And yet it's still funny how they used the design for Red instead of any other trainer in a more current game for Brawl's Pokémon Trainer. By this logic, the main star of MOTHER isn't Ness OR Lucas, but Ninten.

Just to bring up the Link argument again (since I get the feeling it's coming)...there was a long period of time where many gamers believed that every Link in the series WAS the same Link. It wasn't until Wind Waker when people finally realized, "Oh, they're mentioning this other Link in the game...they must not be the same person after all." That said, it's far more reasonable to see Link as one constantly evolving character throughout his games (even if they are entirely separate entities) than it is to make the same connection in MOTHER.

I'd like to know how many of the people who see Lucas completely replacing Ness believe that Ike has completely replaced Marth. I'd be willing to bet that the number isn't nearly as high.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman

I'd like to know how many of the people who see Lucas completely replacing Ness believe that Ike has completely replaced Marth. I'd be willing to bet that the number isn't nearly as high.
I hope neither will happen and agree with you on the numbers. Far more people are Anti-Ness than Anti-Marth. To this day, nobody has given me a logical reason as to why.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've seen people use this logic to try to debate the player characters in Pokémon essentially being empty vessels to stick the player into, and I don't buy it there either. And yet it's still funny how they used the design for Red instead of any other trainer in a more current game for Brawl's Pokémon Trainer. By this logic, the main star of MOTHER isn't Ness OR Lucas, but Ninten.
Yes, but Red made a staple in his series as the first character.

Ness, not so much, he was just the dull and backstoryless character from Mother 2.

And you're right, the main character would be Ninten. But Sakurai decided, ever since Smash 64, to put in the most recent Mother character, which was Ness at the time. He could've easily done Ninten, but he didn't. If he did and Ninten was kept in the games, I could easily understand where people are coming from, considering Ninten is quite a staple to the series as the first Mother character.

However, that isn't the case. Sakurai will most likely be using the current Mother main character as the ONLY Mother main character in Brawl.
Just to bring up the Link argument again (since I get the feeling it's coming)...there was a long period of time where many gamers believed that every Link in the series WAS the same Link. It wasn't until Wind Waker when people finally realized, "Oh, they're mentioning this other Link in the game...they must not be the same person after all." That said, it's far more reasonable to see Link as one constantly evolving character throughout his games (even if they are entirely separate entities) than it is to make the same connection in MOTHER.
Same could be said about the Mother character, and yes, you could make the same connection either you like it or not. And believe it or not, but people have been knowing about multiple Links for years, so it wasn't anything new at all.

But yeah, pretty much, the Mother main character is constantly evolving throughout each game. Yes, it's the exact same thing as Link, either you like it or not.
Yeah, but Ness to Lucas is a reasonable change as Ness was originally meant to represent the current Mother main character. Marth to Ike? Not so much. Marth makes a huge staple in the series as the first lord ever, and his moveset is completely different from Ike's in their respective games. They're NOTHING alike. Ness and Lucas, however, are completely alike other than in design, name, and backstory. All Lucas beat Ness at, for the record.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I hope neither will happen and agree with you on the numbers. Far more people are Anti-Ness than Anti-Marth. To this day, nobody has given me a logical reason as to why.
If you're anti-any character (And often Pro-any character) you don't need reason! You just say that you want/don't want this character in Brawl, because, deep down, and you know it's true, it's because you simply don't like him. Maybe he's do fat, to funny lookin', or to popular. Either way, the only reason people tend to not/want any character is because they love/hate him to death.
(Sarcasim)

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
I get where you're coming from :p

Even if they do take Ness out (the first character I tried to main with, and stuck with for awhile) I won't be as disappointed as I would have been before. Since then I've picked up Marth and Luigi, and with brawl coming out it is giving me a lot of new characters to try (mainly, so far, Metaknight and Ike)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dont think they'll take ness out. he's a well recognised smasher now
Ness is better...But Lucas is already in...and we might as well have Claus...

...I dunno about Ness' chances

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Knowing Sakurai, we won't have confirmation on Ness's chances for a long while. He's probably tittering with glee at the speculation.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
I wish they could have both Ness and Lucas in. Seems it's a coin toss right now. About claus, he looks like a pretty **** cool character. I wouldn't mind him being thrown in there as well.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Yes, but Red made a staple in his series as the first character.

Ness, not so much, he was just the dull and backstoryless character from Mother 2.

And you're right, the main character would be Ninten. But Sakurai decided, ever since Smash 64, to put in the most recent Mother character, which was Ness at the time. He could've easily done Ninten, but he didn't. If he did and Ninten was kept in the games, I could easily understand where people are coming from, considering Ninten is quite a staple to the series as the first Mother character.

However, that isn't the case. Sakurai will most likely be using the current Mother main character as the ONLY Mother main character in Brawl.
Don't you think it might have been more likely that they included Ness in the first game because his game was released in the US? Since no characters in the original game were Japanese only characters, perhaps this was something that they specifically thought about when making it.

Same could be said about the Mother character, and yes, you could make the same connection either you like it or not. And believe it or not, but people have been knowing about multiple Links for years, so it wasn't anything new at all.

But yeah, pretty much, the Mother main character is constantly evolving throughout each game. Yes, it's the exact same thing as Link, either you like it or not.
I think the word you're looking for here is "agree" not "like". Your interpretation of the series is what it is, but that doesn't mean I see any particular reason to adopt it. I still consider Link as being far more similar to all of his other incarnations (of which there are many) than the similarities between the three main characters in MOTHER.

As a side note, I've always followed the multiple Link theory since Ocarina of Time came out, but there were still some people who needed Wind Waker clue them in.

Yeah, but Ness to Lucas is a reasonable change as Ness was originally meant to represent the current Mother main character. Marth to Ike? Not so much. Marth makes a huge staple in the series as the first lord ever, and his moveset is completely different from Ike's in their respective games. They're NOTHING alike. Ness and Lucas, however, are completely alike other than in design, name, and backstory. All Lucas beat Ness at, for the record.
I still think that movesets are a poor deciding factor. Remember AGAIN that Ness didn't have three fourths of the specials that he has in Melee when he was in EarthBound. Which interestingly enough...Lucas ALSO doesn't learn. Sakurai confuses the Hell out of me sometimes.

What's funny is that, regardless of the fact that I've played neither MOTHER or MOTHER 3, I would feel a lot better about the inclusion of Ninten over Ness as opposed to Lucas over Ness. From what I read of Ninten's back story, he's got a larger connection to the overall plot of the series than either Ness or Lucas do, which I find interesting. The only thing that looks to be a direct connection from the previous MOTHER games in MOTHER 3 that I've read of are
Pokey, Dr. Andonuts and Saturn Valley...two people and a location. Maybe the Franklin Badge, assuming each game uses the exact same one
. The whole plot with Giygas is over and done with in that game, isn't it?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Don't you think it might have been more likely that they included Ness in the first game because his game was released in the US? Since no characters in the original game were Japanese only characters, perhaps this was something that they specifically thought about when making it.
Sorry, bro, but Smash wasn't even going to be released in the US in the first placed, or wasn't planned to. So Sakurai probably didn't have plans for Smash to be something worldwide.
I think the word you're looking for here is "agree" not "like". Your interpretation of the series is what it is, but that doesn't mean I see any particular reason to adopt it. I still consider Link as being far more similar to all of his other incarnations (of which there are many) than the similarities between the three main characters in MOTHER.

As a side note, I've always followed the multiple Link theory since Ocarina of Time came out, but there were still some people who needed Wind Waker clue them in.
It isn't a matter of interpretation, however. Most RPGs do the exact same thing. It's an RPG cliche, a well-known one. It's well known that both LoZ AND Mother follow this cliche.
I still think that movesets are a poor deciding factor. Remember AGAIN that Ness didn't have three fourths of the specials that he has in Melee when he was in EarthBound. Which interestingly enough...Lucas ALSO doesn't learn. Sakurai confuses the Hell out of me sometimes.
So what moves would exactly Lucas steal that wouldn't be uber damage?
What's funny is that, regardless of the fact that I've played neither MOTHER or MOTHER 3, I would feel a lot better about the inclusion of Ninten over Ness as opposed to Lucas over Ness. From what I read of Ninten's back story, he's got a larger connection to the overall plot of the series than either Ness or Lucas do, which I find interesting. The only thing that looks to be a direct connection from the previous MOTHER games in MOTHER 3 that I've read of are
Pokey, Dr. Andonuts and Saturn Valley...two people and a location. Maybe the Franklin Badge, assuming each game uses the exact same one
. The whole plot with Giygas is over and done with in that game, isn't it?
Well, yeah, pretty much. Mother 3 is kind of its own story. You really have to play it yourself and hands on experience to feel the emotional vibe you get from every part in the game. Storywise, it has the be the best Mother game out there, along with the development of characters like Lucas and Claus. Second one would probably have to be the original, since Ninten DOES have some sort of connection that makes him needed to defeat Gigyas from invading the Earth. Mother 2...sorry, not so much. Ness was just kinda there and told to save the Earth all of a sudden without much backstory.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. Don't listen to rumours about what Sakurai is supposedly thinking. Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers destroyed those rumours.
I wasn't going based off of who they are, but the number of them. Three from mother series? I love that series, but is it popular enough to warrant 3 spots?

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
It's popular enough to warrant two spots, yeah. Lucas and Claus.
Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for all 3 of them, or at least Ninten in place of Ness to be in it (I'd rather keep Ness), but I figured a max of 2 Spots for Mother.

Great series, good characters, but perhaps not quite enough to give it a 3-spot :(

Blackadder

Smash Master
AT it is then.
Cute update, and not up to the calibur that Monday and Tuesday got, which is reasonable. Didn't expect much, didn't get much, but still happy.

G'night Smashers.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Looks like they killed 2 AT's in one go, huh? Unless they decide to use Lakitu again later.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
LAZY! Honestly, would it have been that hard to recreate a new Excitebike model? And Lakitu has been 3-D for a long time now, why revert?

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Hahahaha, and to think the Excite Biker was actually going to be a character for Melee.
Wonder who else that was supposed to be in melee will be dropped into trophies and AT's and what clones will get dropped/revised.

I look forward to those updates, and if they don't come, then i sure as hell look forward to the game.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Meh. These guys really detract from the look of the game for me (at least in the screens). G&W was at least well rendered. Oh well, it's certainly a look they were going for, and I'm sure loads of people will love the retro flair.

Top Bottom