• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official OMG Tonight Prediction Thread

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
When he said "Can he surpass Ness?" is a clear indication that Ness is gone. Let's forget that fact that we heard rumors of Lucas replacing Ness, but also that the statement alone means "Does this new fighter have what it takes to be as good as Ness?"

He wouldn't say that if Ness was still in the game. I'm sorry, but that's clearly what I got out of it. I can't see those two being different enough to be both playable.
I actually thought otherwise from this quote.

Can he surpass Ness? Ie, if they are both in the game, can he live up to Ness? Subspace Emissary storyine. Lucas and Ness fight it off in SE mode.

Complete Lucas's SE to unlock Ness!

ReXXXSoprano

Smash Cadet
Lucas....blech.

Yeah, same here. But if he is the new PSI Wonder Kid, then I have no choice but to accept him as one of my mains and move on past the hurt I now feel. Hopefully they will make Ness an alternate costume and maybe I'll forgive. MAYBE! Like I said before, welcome to the family, Lucas. Prepare for the hate you must now deal with. Ness fans unite, I guess!!!

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I actually thought otherwise from this quote.

Can he surpass Ness? Ie, if they are both in the game, can he live up to Ness? Subspace Emissary storyine. Lucas and Ness fight it off in SE mode.

Complete Lucas's SE to unlock Ness!
But think of it this way, do you really think Sakurai would out of the blue just confirm another character just so easily? I don't. He freely used the name "Ness" because he's no longer in the picture. I'm sorry, I may be too overconfident, but he wouldn't just throw that out in the open.

Blackadder

Smash Master
But think of it this way, do you really think Sakurai would out of the blue just confirm another character just so easily? I don't. He freely used the name "Ness" because he's no longer in the picture. I'm sorry, I may be too overconfident, but he wouldn't just throw that out in the open.
Hmmm.
I dunno, I think it hints that the two will be in the game, in a way.
Sort of in a "OoOooO, Ness has competition this time!" kinda way. I mean, he was in both 64 and Melee versions. I'm sure he'll return, myself.

But we shall all see soon enough, I guess. ;)

JPW

Smash Ace
I doubt Ness still has a chance. Unless we see a Ness update in the same week. If Ness were to be in I would of updated Ness first before Lucas.

I don't know much about Earth or Mother series or whatever it's called, I just followed the flavour and selected Lucas like everyone else.

Of course there is a chance this franchise has stepped up and has got 2 reps now. It's been in ever since the beginning.

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
True. But, I'm sure Sakurai thinks we all assume the original roster will come back and is just teasing us.

Who knows until it's confirmed ;)

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
nyeck....... this update was ok but I expected a little better than Lucas, by the way did anyone else notice how this was the first new challenger update that came right on time?

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
...but he wouldn't just throw that out in the open.
Unless he purposely did it to put the hearts of Ness fans at ease.

Really, this is just like Ike. When Ike was revealed, everyone assumed he was taking Marth and Roy's moveset. A week later we got the Special Moves update that cleared it up, that he was an all-new character.

Lets hope that being a first of the month update isn't the only thing Ike and Lucas have in common.

Unless of course you hate Ness I guess.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I didn't mean out of the blue in that sense. This update was for Lucas, and it seems odd or "out of the blue" that he would just throw in Ness' name so leisurely. That's like confirming another character in a precious character update, in which we have so little of.

Let's face some hard cold facts. Didn't Sakurai say that not all characters would return? So far, we haven't had any indication yet that any are missing, but I think this is the first sign. No Ness.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Sakurai mentioning Ness doesn't prove anything. He's not THAT predictable >_>. Who knows what might happen. The Mother series is very popular in Japan, so they could have both. The only problem I see is SE because Lucas lives 100 years after Ness beats Giygas...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I didn't mean out of the blue in that sense. This update was for Lucas, and it seems odd or "out of the blue" that he would just throw in Ness' name so leisurely. That's like confirming another character in a precious character update, in which we have so little of.

Let's face some hard cold facts. Didn't Sakurai say that not all characters would return? So far, we haven't had any indication yet that any are missing, but I think this is the first sign. No Ness.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
You should know by now that plotlines have no meaning in games like this, or they didn't before.

Come on, Mario fighting Dr. Mario? Link fighting YOUNG LINK?! What?! That makes no sense! I don't think that will stop Ness from being in Brawl, if he IS in Brawl, that is.

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
Peach was shown in the vid...then a week or so later she was introduced...hmmm

Also in the Yoshi's Story Ending music update, Sakurai mentioned Yoshi's cry at the end and how it was a tease to us....:

Is it really fair to play Yoshi’s voice at that moment?

It’s enough to make a guy cry at the end.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
You should know by now that plotlines have no meaning in games like this, or they didn't before.

Come on, Mario fighting Dr. Mario? Link fighting YOUNG LINK?! What?! That makes no sense! I don't think that will stop Ness from being in Brawl, if he IS in Brawl, that is.
I don't think I think enough to think about it.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
You made your point there, but introducing a character through a screen and simple text are two completely different things, and I still think the way he worded his update was that Ness is no longer.

I'm done arguing, because there is no guessing what Sakurai will do. He's very unpredictable.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
You made your point there, but introducing a character through a screen and simple text are two completely different things, and I still think the way he worded his update was that Ness is no longer.

I'm done arguing, because there is no guessing what Sakurai will do. He's very unpredictable.
I agree, Sakurai is a big question mark.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I just saw something...

What's that... hexagon beneath Lucas that MetaKnight seems to be partially covering up?

PK Freeze anyone? (PSI Freeze whatever)

Nightlea

Smash Cadet
I come out of the shadows of lurking to make my first post, and I can't even begin to express how happy I am! Been a long while since we got the Frankling Badge and I'd been hoping for something Mother related all along.

Oh well, as for the "can he surpass even Ness?" thing, I for one really hope he means Ness is out, if only because Claus has great chances then Brawl would then focus a lot more on Mother 3. Let's face it: the series needs a fresh restart, a new focus. :p

This is coming from someone who loves Ness and the Mother series in general (SSB64 and Melee are what introduced me to it, actually).

At any rate, I LOVED this update. It sure will teach something to the people who called Lucas a "nobody" or the like...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I come out of the shadows of lurking to make my first post, and I can't even begin to express how happy I am! Been a long while since we got the Frankling Badge and I'd been hoping for something Mother related all along.

Oh well, as for the "can he surpass even Ness?" thing, I for one really hope he means Ness is out, if only because Claus has great chances then Brawl would then focus a lot more on Mother 3. Let's face it: the series needs a fresh restart, a new focus. :p

This is coming from someone who loves Ness and the Mother series in general (SSB64 and Melee are what introduced me to it, actually).

At any rate, I LOVED this update. It sure will teach something to the people who called Lucas a "nobody" or the like...
I completely agree with you. Glad to see a true Mother fan on the board.

Blackadder

Smash Master
lol, I thought the same thing. This thread has made me combust multiple times.

Tuesday - whatever you guys want it to be;)
Heh, I thought no one had noticed my totally witty and carefully timed comment.
Anyways, this has set us up for a good tommorow.
After today, no one should really care, as long as we GET an update!

Sinn

Smash Lord
Sakurai: Alright, men. And woman. I see the need for yet another mind blowing Monday newcomer post that will send the internets into chaos and turmoil. What will accomplish this best?

Developer: I say! It should be Lucas! Then everyone will be left twisting in the wind on whether we brought Ness back or not!

Sakurai: That's some good thinking, woman. You will be the only one who gets fed from now on.

Developer: Yatta!

I'm not gonna argue the point either way at this point since there seem to be a lot of people on both sides of the fence. But what I WILL say is that the best indication we'll have to if he really is replacing Ness is to see what they have for his moveset. If the specials that are updated are nothing like what Ness's used to be, I'll assume that Ness is still in. I don't see the use of replacing a character with one who has a completely different moveset.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
You know what would make me really happy? If Sakurai decided that this week was a week to only have character updates... yeah... not gonna happen.

I really only need a few more characters and Brawl will be the most Awetastic game ever.

Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario/Blaziken
Wolf O'Donnell
Krystal
Falco Lombardi
Ganondorf
Midna (With or without Wolf Link)
WW Link

If I got those, I'd be very happy.

craiigg

Smash Lord
^ yes sirr, or another crappy item .____.

although i'd love some more wifi info or maybe lucas' special moves XDXD

Blackadder

Smash Master
Oh gosh... that means we might get a Mother3 stage... and I dunno anything about the game. Goodbye nostalgia.
I'd love for nostalgia, but I do like a dose of new things to.
We can still expect a "Classic" Mother stage, I'm sure.

I really do hope it's a stage tonight. We are due for one, I think.
I've been guessing that for ages.
It'll NEVER happen I tells ya! Never! :bowser:

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Lol, look at page 269 and 270. :laugh:

8:00 am, I post up picture of Lucas with "OMFG!!!!!!" underneath it.

8:03 am, people see the Lucas update and realise that I wasn't having them on. :laugh:

ExtremeBrawler

Smash Cadet
I knew that Lucas would enjoy Brawl,'cause he had to be a playabel character in SSBM yet,but Mother 3 was delayed:so,Ness was kept.
You can find this news on Wikipedia.com. However,it's very exciting knowing that a new character has been confirmed,and that this month could give us so many news about other veterans and newcomer as in August,when they revealed Ike (on 1st August:STRANGE...:grin:), Pokemon Trainer (the most unexpected of all times,and this is sure...:laugh:),Peach and Diddy Kong,and two of three newcomers were some of the most expected ones (and I'm not talking about the discover of the new Adventure Mode,The Subspace Emissary...).
So,is it possible that this month Sakurai can reveal... him?SONIC?!?!?!:confused:
Only the time can tell us the truth...
Finally,for tomorrow...

Stadium Update

Mother Arena

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I thought you were lying. lol.
BTW, where are you from, dude? You're lucky enough to wake up to the updates... I gotta stay up till two. lol.
Where am I from? My Location might give that away I think. :p

And yes, the Dojo updates just when I wake up (8 am), so my wait doesn't feel as long as yours I presume, due to the fact I'm sleeping for most of it.

But, the first thing I saw about this update was:

So that's why I knew 3 minutes before anyone else. :laugh:

EDIT:

But, strangely I seemed to be the only one watching the Japanese site, there's usually quite a bunch of people that do. :ohwell:

blayde_axel

Smash Master
That's what I figured. lol. After you posted it, I went to the japanese page, and I was like OMFG!
Sit, sakurai, sit. Good dog. lol.
But, seriously, great update for what seems to be a great week. Hope the hype lives.

Oh yeah, when was the last time someone actually put their real location there? lol.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
1 for 1 with the character prediction xD

I'm going to say tomorrow is Lucas' moveset or an extension of the subspace game mode.

Florida

イーグランツ
Phew, finally a new character profile!

Hesitate from updating lame bits of info (we're long due for a How to Play update), throw in an item or two, and this will end up to be a very decent bundle of updates this week!

Oh, and watch Captain Falcon being granted his own profile on Thursday ^^"

Top Bottom