• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan traveling to Genesis thread

rofa

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, so I guess I'm heading this operation since it is my home state and all.

As of now, here are the flights that we are planning to take:

Jul 9, 2009
Northwest Airlines - FLIGHT 347
Depart: 7:25 pm
Arrive: 9:32 pm
Duration: 5 hr 7 min
From Detroit, MI (DTW) to San Francisco, CA (SFO)

Jul 13, 2009
Northwest Airlines - Flight 222 **NOTE THE NEW FLIGHT #**
Depart: 8:20 am
Arrive: 3:50 pm
Duration: 4 hr 30 min
From San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Detroit, MI (DTW)

Instructions for booking your flight:

1. Go to www.nwa.com
2. Type in Detroit and San Francisco in the two boxes
3. Change the dates to 7/9/09 and 7/13/09
4. Find Flight 347 and click Choose this departure
5. Find Flight 222 and click Choose this return ***EDIT: The flight # has been fixed***
6. Proceed to the next page, if you have a World Perks # and have flown with NWA before, enter that information here. Otherwise, click to continue as Guest.
7. Enter payment info
8. Get ready for GENESIS

And yea, I realize that we don't get back until Monday afternoon. However, this was by far the most cost effective for the amount of travel time (both of these are direct flights). And also, this ensures that we will see the end of the tournament, even if something "COT4esque" ends up happening. :)

Housing and transportation

So it looks like they are encouraging everyone to get hotel rooms. We could do that, or we can stay with some friends of mine in either San Francisco or Santa Cruz, both are within about 1 - 1.5 hours of the venue, and both are willing to host us for a few nights. Let's start discussing the options for housing now and make a decision soon because if we choose to book a hotel room, we should do that in the near future.

The hotels are much closer to the venue, but are pretty pricey. Comfort Suites or the Hampton Inn will both run about $100 dollars a night, and I'm not sure how many of us can stay there.

As for transportation, I'm trying to get my friend to let us borrow his van for the weekend. If he lets us (which I believe he will) then we will have a sweet 7 seater Honda mini van for all our traveling needs.

Anyone from around the midwest is welcome to join us!!!! Drive to Michigan and meet up with us or just fly to the detroit airport on the 9th.

That's about it, let's get pumped!

Rofe Rofe

------------------

List of people who have bought their tickets/Seat on Flight 347/Seat on Flight 222
1. Rofa/38-A/36-A

Vayseth

Smash Master
Such a good idea. I knew I could count on you =) I'm in. I prefer the cheaper methods (aka, free housing) if at all possible. The times are also totally cool with me. No one should have a problem, seeing as this is in the summer and I'm pretty sure most leases for the U of M students will not even be up yet.

King~

Smash Champion
um id like to join you gentlemen

can anyone house me that wendsday night and maybe that day of return(gotta check out my ride situation)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I need to run this by my parents to see if its cool with them before I can do it. Also, I have an aunt that lives in San Francisco who will coincidentally be visiting Michigan during Genesis. I might be able to talk her into letting us stay at her place if my Uncle stays in Cali.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
um id like to join you gentlemen

can anyone house me that wendsday night and maybe that day of return(gotta check out my ride situation)
yeah dude, for sure. you can definitely stay at my place, and im sure panda would be cool with that as well. get yo *** to michigan, we'll take good care of ya

I need to run this by my parents to see if its cool with them before I can do it. Also, I have an aunt that lives in San Francisco who will coincidentally be visiting Michigan during Genesis. I might be able to talk her into letting us stay at her place if my Uncle stays in Cali.
do it do it do it. don't delay, ask today! let's get this ball rollin'

judge!

Smash Ace
rofa if u dont mind i travel with u since i have no ****ing idea what to do in a airport =P lol

rofa

Smash Journeyman
"i'd love to have judge with me in an airport!!!"

-lain

judge!

Smash Ace
srsly i would just sit lost and confused like a 5 year old looking for there mom lol

judge!

Smash Ace
well ino i can pay for 1 night in a hotel. we can probebly squeeze like 5-7 people in 1 room depending on if people wanna share beds///sleep on floor etc. i mean if 8 of us went in on one room it wouldent be to bad.....idk

Dopey

Smash Lord
free relative's house you have to be careful in <<<< sweet *** hotel room u can do whatever the **** u want in

=p jus speakin from experience

im down to go to this ****, i hate ****ing michigan LOL im probly gonna try n fly SW airlines since they cheaper ^^ but ill check it out.

but if i go to this i wanna stay like a week or something, i need a g**** vacation mang, i wanna hit up the beaches and malls n ****, imma try to see if nars gonna be back there by then, or maybe stay at someones place i kno out there for a couple days before the rest of people start comin out.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Guys. As soon as some more MI lines stuff up and is confirmed for going, I'd love to go down with you guys. I figure I'll drive down and meet you guys then we can fly out.

My move got postponed till after Genesis. Blood Hawk in the house. ;)

rofa

Smash Journeyman
lol bowyer u got me all excited. **** you. and im purchasing my ticket in a sec here. . .

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Kyle got the flight number for the return wrong in the original post, but he just corrected it right now at my place. He found out after he booked his ticket.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, notice the FLIGHT INFO has been changed. For some reason I had the totally wrong return flight number. The correct flight number for the return trip is 222!!!! book yo tickets

King~

Smash Champion
yo how much are your round trip tickets?

cause i can get up there but i think i have to fly back to cleveland

the cheapest i found is i fly back on 222 then wait 4 HOURS!!!! to fly back to cleveland(which only takes an hour) and thats like $380.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I doubt the hotel would let 6 people stay in one room let alone 8, just sayin.
You don't tell 'em. And you're quiet. You're only in there to sleep anyway. And if they ask, you say they're from other places and were just playing games together.

How do you think Anime Cons work? XD

Sago

Smash Lord
if just hunger ang i end up going then we want to meet up with MI prolly in CA airport seeing as how we'll fly the same days. Not sure yet :(but Michigan is cool so why wouldn't i want to hang with them in Cali

okiyama

Smash Ace
yo how much are your round trip tickets?

cause i can get up there but i think i have to fly back to cleveland

the cheapest i found is i fly back on 222 then wait 4 HOURS!!!! to fly back to cleveland(which only takes an hour) and thats like $380.
4 hours isn't bad. Most flight have a wait of at least 1 for domestic and 2-3 for international. Just saying.

I would totally go, but I'm not even 16 yet and I don't have 600 dollars.

Edit: also, for 600 bucks I would just go to Geneva and hang with my friend over there... again.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Bumping to see who all is actually going. I want to book my tickets soon but if not a lot of MI people are going, I could just as easily fly out of Indianapolis. Keep me posted guys. :3

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Ok, I'm booking my tickets like next few days. I'd like to work out details with someone on how we'll be going. Should I just like ride up to AA and go with whoever is going, or what?

Let's do this thing.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Because Panda is stupid and posted travel info in the wrong thread, reposting this.

So, I have an awesome plan. I wanna fly down to Cali for Genesis, then right after Genesis take a plane to Vegas and spend a week on the strip. Then after that we can attend EVO and head back home when its over. Right now I'm looking for people who are 21+ (or have/can get a good fake ID) who wanna do this with me. It'll be pretty **** fun.
Do they have to be 21 or fake it? As long as there is a 21 year old (You), shouldn't all hotel issues be settled?

Also, to go along with that, all the rooms EVO had for their hotel (Rio) discount are gone. Gold Coast has EVO rates and is only 1/3rd mile away.

So, for various costs.

Genesis only:
Round trip from Detroit to San Fransico, $400. Single room for 2 at Ramada Inn for Th-M, $240. Total $640, $240 divided by number of people in room.

Genesis and EVO:
Single trip from Detroit to San Fransico, $600 (What is with this cost?). Single room for 2 at Ramada Inn for Th-M, $240. Plane from San Fransico to Las Vegas, $80. Single room for 2 at Golden Coast for M-M, $290 ($700 for EVO hotel). Flight from Las Vegas to Detroit, $120. Total, $1330, $530 divided by number of people in room.

So the EVO thing is about double the cost. Note that I just used NWA basic searching for plane trips. Those costs can probably be lowers, though only that first one would really matter.

I just did a quick search, and it's just from Detroit to San Fransico is expensive. If we flew to Las Vegas, it's around $130, then $80 to San Fransico.

lain

Smash Master
Wait, if we flew to Vegas it'd only cost $130?! Holy ****.

Also, I need to get a fake id somehow.

Also also, don't count hotel costs, Rofa has family and friends in San Fran.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Because Panda is stupid and posted the travel info in the wrong thread, reposting this:

EDIT: A quick search on Travelocity for the cheapest flights available places the entire 3 flights at $432 total with tax. That means if 3 people stay in Vegas for 1 week, the total will amount to ~$532 for flights and housing in Vegas. Thats a pretty reasonable price.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Note that the flight costs is roughly the same as the round trip from Detroit to San Fransico. So unless you are obscenely tight on money, or can't take the week off, I'd stay for EVO/Vegas. Most of the money will be spent on food and gambling.

Also, people should figure out what they are doing right now. Planes are getting filled in NWA, and I assume it's roughly the same for other airlines.

King~

Smash Champion
speakin of gettin things together how much would it run(Cost) me to get one of you gentlemen to come get me and bring me up to MI that wendsday(i think it is)

also pandas right you cant enjoy vegas if your unders 21 ive been twice and basically just sat in hotel arcades and pools(granted some of said pools are amazing)

also if we had a car out there why not just idk road trip to vegas?(i mean if its a rental of course, drving to vegas then back to cali would be ruff and probly cost more in the end)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So....

Any chance anyone from MI wants to split a room 4 ways at the Ramada (2 queen sized beds, just two blocks from venue). Its $62 a night, staying Thursday night - Sunday morning, so 4 nights 4 ways = just $62 a person.

Top Bottom