• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
So how are the rankings going to be divided up this time we have both MK banned and MK Legal tourneys this season.

It would be pretty funny to see a bunch of MKs at the top of this seasons pr gio rabbi jon and boxxy need to make up half the list

Roller

Smash Legend
Any tourney using a ruleset we deem to be competitive will be counted. So mk legal events will count towards the PR.

On a related note. I'm not sure if we officially announced it here, however Apex will officially be added to this coming season as was originally planned. It will NOT retroactively affect last season. In addition, pools matches will be taken as bracket matches, as they were effectively double (or in some cases single) elimination, and the competition and incentive to perform was at a higher level than most brackets.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
So does that mean pools will count when considering rankings this season? That would give less reason to sandbag in pools.

:phone:

What's The Point

Smash Master
Pools have technically always counted. It's just that no one ever keeps records of pools so they were always disregarded. Going by selective memory on pools doesn't cut it.

Roller

Smash Legend
It means what I said. They counted for APEX. Myself, Tech, Tutu, and WTP all discussed that, I thought you were aware. Sorry. =/

As far as pools at locals/regionals go. They count like they always have. I do take them into account. However I count Bracket wins/losses significantly more. Especially if someone was using a secondary/tertiary character for pools.

As far as I'm concerned we can each choose as individuals how much weight we (panel members) decide to put on pools. So long as it is not more weight than we put on bracket matches. If you choose not to count them for much of anything, alright. If you choose to use them for "tiebreakers"/to split close decisions (I guess I subscribe to this), alright. If you want to count them as players wins/losses, just with a little less focus on them than bracket matches, alright.

Panel members are expected to be capable of independent thought, and if one of us feels pools should be weighted more/less (within the stipulations we set forth, i.e. can't count for more than bracket), then that person has the right to take that into account with their vote. Just keep in mind that others may not share your views and will use their own judgement on how much they believe pools should count with their vote(s).

Roller

Smash Legend
Yes, the problem is most of the TOs do not post all the pools images in the OP. I used to, but quite frankly it is just adding more busy work; for information that most people don't care to even look at. Plus most of our higher level players sandbag quite a bit in pools anyway.

*cough*wtp*cough*

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Lol dang, no :yoshi2: in pools this time around :troll:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this season pans out. I never really paid much attention to pools; no more sandbagging.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
DRDN if thats the case, I will be ****ing up everyone's results then lololololol

And yes SCOTU I agree, I should probably just copy/paste the pools if I end up not saving pool images.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure by that Dan means that AiB shows the pools of uploaded tournament results.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure by that Dan means that AiB shows the pools of uploaded tournament results.
Yeah, this. It's pretty effortless to upload results to AIB. It then hosts all the brackets, pools, events, and everything.

Thats what i was thinking as well. But i think I'm the only one who actively uses AiB
Hell, even I actively use AiB. Also, even if people don't actively use it, doesn't mean that it's not a good place to host tournement results. It's pretty easy to throw up a normal thread and just link to the AiB page. That's like saying, "I think I'm the only one that uses Megaupload", even though its one of the most convenient ways of freely and quickly getting a 2GB file from one person to several others (and you needed to do exactly this)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
how do pools records not get kept? Shouldn't that just be in the same tio file as the bracket?
At some tourneys I often just look at pool sheets and write down a list of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th seed results, then manually create the bracket. Especially if the tourney is running behind and I don't feel like dealing with tio's poorly designed "Edit Pool Assignments" feature.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Basically, I like to make pools in a Google Doc where I can see everything and balance out skill levels and such. The page where you edit pools in tio (with the two adjacent listboxes and arrows in between) is extremely tedious and annoying, and they still haven't fixed it in tiopro.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Let's get greedy and change the whole procedure for how we make PR

Change it to how much $ someone makes
There's more point to payouts
MMs count and their worth is equal to how much weight they hold
Doubles counts for half but still counts it kills me you guys disregard how well someone works with others as being a skill

LOE1 for PR

SCOTU

Smash Hero
IMO doubles is a completely different ranking than singles. Some people are madly better at doubles than singles and vice versa.

zyth

Smash Lord
I want to try doing somethin along side the Brawl PR rankings similar to the Official SWF Brawl rankings(http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262480) for MI only. we could have this so every one could see how they stand in comparison to other ppl in the state, and it would help ease the minds of ppl who dont completely agree with the MI PR panelists(Zinoto ranking debate). Honestly I feel this would be a much easier way to rank everyone than just by votes. it doesnt have to be the official rankings, but I'm just gonna put it out there anyway.

:olimar: :roymelee:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Yeah, this. It's pretty effortless to upload results to AIB. It then hosts all the brackets, pools, events, and everything.

Hell, even I actively use AiB. Also, even if people don't actively use it, doesn't mean that it's not a good place to host tournement results. It's pretty easy to throw up a normal thread and just link to the AiB page. That's like saying, "I think I'm the only one that uses Megaupload", even though its one of the most convenient ways of freely and quickly getting a 2GB file from one person to several others (and you needed to do exactly this)
I think the govt. doesn't like AiB.

Roller

Smash Legend
I want to try doing somethin along side the Brawl PR rankings similar to the Official SWF Brawl rankings(http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262480) for MI only. we could have this so every one could see how they stand in comparison to other ppl in the state, and it would help ease the minds of ppl who dont completely agree with the MI PR panelists(Zinoto ranking debate). Honestly I feel this would be a much easier way to rank everyone than just by votes. it doesnt have to be the official rankings, but I'm just gonna put it out there anyway.

:olimar: :roymelee:
What debate was there with Zinoto? He's placed in the top 4 of every tourney he's entered, including a tourney win and wins against Lain, Anther, Myself, and Mikey...

Also, Texas does something like that and it is stupid. It promotes inactivity. Like half of their "top tier" is inactive players, simply because they got a ****-ton of points back in the day, then never went to more tourneys to lose any.

And the money thing would be amusing, but it has several severe problems, like that it effectively gives DRDN and THuGz complete control over the PR. They can pick who they want to MM for $100 each tourney and artificially blow that player's winnings through the roof.

zyth

Smash Lord
What debate was there with Zinoto? He's placed in the top 4 of every tourney he's entered, including a tourney win and wins against Lain, Anther, Myself, and Mikey...

Also, Texas does something like that and it is stupid. It promotes inactivity. Like half of their "top tier" is inactive players, simply because they got a ****-ton of points back in the day, then never went to more tourneys to lose any.

And the money thing would be amusing, but it has several severe problems, like that it effectively gives DRDN and THuGz complete control over the PR. They can pick who they want to MM for $100 each tourney and artificially blow that player's winnings through the roof.
some ppl(not namin who) were talkin about how they placed higher than him at seperate tournies, but not as much as him but arent PRed at all thats all.

with the points thing, im gonna start it with PS2 bein the first one, so no one has any points atm, and since its so early ppl will be able to pass up inactives if they just place high at one tourny and ditch the rest. plus this wont be official unless the current PR panel decides to take this idea on as the official one, so if u try and base ur PR status off what I'll post, then everyone else will probly just laugh at u :p.

I'm not too sure wat ur talkin about with the MM thing, but I only plan on basing the points off tournies any way

Roller

Smash Legend
some ppl(not namin who) were talkin about how they placed higher than him at seperate tournies, but not as much as him but arent PRed at all thats all.

with the points thing, im gonna start it with PS2 bein the first one, so no one has any points atm, and since its so early ppl will be able to pass up inactives if they just place high at one tourny and ditch the rest. plus this wont be official unless the current PR panel decides to take this idea on as the official one, so if u try and base ur PR status off what I'll post, then everyone else will probly just laugh at u :p.

I'm not too sure wat ur talkin about with the MM thing, but I only plan on basing the points off tournies any way
I was referring to DRDN's post with the MMs.

Also, the only MI players to ever outplace Zinoto are as follows
Lain, Sparta Kick, Mikey, Tutu
Lain and Sparta are both above him on the PR, so there isn't a debate there.
Mikeys ONLY notable wins this season are vs Tutu and Zinoto. To compare Zinoto to Mikey: Zinoto has beaten Mikey, and Lain, and Anther, (among others, but that is enough to put him above Mikey, as their wins over eachother cancel out, and then Zinoto's wins and placements are more impressive.
Tutu's impressive wins this season include (I think) Zinoto, and myself (who he also lost to at the same tourney). Again, Lain+Anther as wins alone is better than Zinoto+me. (especially if you are questioning Zinoto's credentials in the first place.)

How can you POSSIBLY justify putting ANYONE who is not already above Zinoto, before him?

There is no debate. Anyone who thinks Zinoto should be anything less than 3rd wrong, and has no justification for their claim.
When ankoku was using the point system I went from non pr to 3rd spot after one tourney

L
One of many reasons this method of ranking doesn't work.

zyth

Smash Lord
I was referring to DRDN's post with the MMs.

Also, the only MI players to ever outplace Zinoto are as follows
Lain, Sparta Kick, Mikey, Tutu
Lain and Sparta are both above him on the PR, so there isn't a debate there.
Mikeys ONLY notable wins this season are vs Tutu and Zinoto. To compare Zinoto to Mikey: Zinoto has beaten Mikey, and Lain, and Anther, (among others, but that is enough to put him above Mikey, as their wins over eachother cancel out, and then Zinoto's wins and placements are more impressive.
Tutu's impressive wins this season include (I think) Zinoto, and myself (who he also lost to at the same tourney). Again, Lain+Anther as wins alone is better than Zinoto+me. (especially if you are questioning Zinoto's credentials in the first place.)

How can you POSSIBLY justify putting ANYONE who is not already above Zinoto, before him?

There is no debate. Anyone who thinks Zinoto should be anything less than 3rd wrong, and has no justification for their claim.

One of many reasons this method of ranking doesn't work.
lol calm down roller, i was just sayin wat i heard. dont shoot the messenger. :yeahboi:

but like i said before, this is gonna be startin at PS2 and it doesnt have to be official, i just wanted to try this and see how it turns out for us

zyth

Smash Lord
How exactly do you intend to distribute points?
Im gonna distribute the points based completely off how far you got in a tourny as per the way it shows on the SWF rankings, I dont know how Ankoku did his, but the way SWF has it set up, theres quite a difference of points by just going up or down one placement. it wont be possible for someone who goes to all the tournies, but always places low to get too many points(LOE1 for example). and if you just go to one tourny and get first, then not go to any others, there is also a depreciation system set in so that u lose points everyday I believe(if not, every missed tourny.) that way even if you get a lot of points one tourny, ur points are syeadily goin down, so to keep them up you have to continuously go to tournies and get points.

Zyth is this going to be a project of your own?
yea it shouldnt be too hard to manage the points of our state

Top Bottom