• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Megaman in SSBB" Topic!

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
I wish. but people who think they're all smart will still try and force "ZOMG MEGAMAN DECONFIRMED" down our necks. Its a bit of a pain really.
People who think they're smart, eh?

*Opens someone's through and yells in it*

Mega Man has no chance of being in Brawl! Accept it!

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Of course Geno is a true Third-Party, he is owned by another company.

The fact that he was in a Mario game doesn't change the fact that another company owns the rights to him, and Nintendo would have to license the IP from Square Enix in order for him to be in Brawl..and what would that make him? That would make him Third-Party

Regardless if Isaac is second or first party, that doesn't change that Geno had more mentions than Megaman for a Third-Party character addition, DeDeDe having one more than him (gasp, is DeDeDe in the game? Why, yes he is), and with Ike having the same number of mentions as him (gasp again, Ike is in the game!)

The fact that Inafune said that Megaman is not in Brawl as far as he is aware should be reason enough for you to realize that the 3rd party character that got more mentions than him is the one Sakurai chose to put in the game; Geno.
man, you're right. I mean, it's obvious that megaman and geno are owned by the same company, so it's impossible for them to both get in!

.....oh, wait......

but 3rd party or not, geno wouldn't count as a complete 3rd party. All they would need is square's okay, and put him in the game; just look at mario and luigi: superstar saga.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Here's something crazy, I heard Nintendo partially owns the rights of Geno.
But they always have to credit Square when he's in one of their games.
Huh...

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
man, you're right. I mean, it's obvious that megaman and geno are owned by the same company, so it's impossible for them to both get in!
That's simply going by "One or two besides Snake", assuming that Sakurai is keeping with that benchmark

but 3rd party or not, geno wouldn't count as a complete 3rd party. All they would need is square's okay, and put him in the game; just look at mario and luigi: superstar saga.
Nintendo had to specifically credit Square Enix on both the Box, Manual, and In-Game credits specifically stating the Geno was a licensed property of Square Enix, just so that Geno could appear in the game.

That process is called licensing the character.

As in, that's what any company has to do in order for an outside property to be in the game. If that were Megaman in the Superstar Saga slot machine, Nintendo would have to go through the exact same process

So no, there is no "halfway" between Nintendo and Square Enix that would make Geno not count as a Third-Party character, in order for the IP to be in Smash Bros. Nintendo would have to license to rights from Square Enix just as they would have to do for any other company, which is evident by the means they had to go through in order for Geno to appear for 5 minutes in Superstar Saga

------

Also, I checked the third party list I mentioned before and you were right, I just remembered the list incorrectly, Isaac wasn't on it. So, I admit I was wrong on that front:

Third Party Suggestions from Sakurai's journal

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Power Pro-Kun (Konami) (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '94 - 1994)
Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)
Geno (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Mallow (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Sora (Disney/Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 2004)
Magnus Gallant (Quest/Nintendo) (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - 2000)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
Thomas the Kung-Fu Master (Irem) (Spartan X [Kung-Fu in the U.S.] - 1985)

MSS

Smash Cadet
People who think they're smart, eh?

*Opens someone's through and yells in it*

Mega Man has no chance of being in Brawl! Accept it!
I'm going to laugh when everyone starts unlocking Megaman. Inafune was obviously dodging the question , he did not say no Megaman is not in the game, but he obviously didn't say yes..because no one would ever say yes to such a question..that's common sense and I don't even know why anyone would ask him such a thing.

Megaman right now still has a better chance of being playable in Brawl than Ness does.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to laugh when everyone starts unlocking Megaman. Inafune was obviously dodging the question , he did not say no Megaman is not in the game, but he obviously didn't say yes..because no one would ever say yes to such a question..that's common sense and I don't even know why anyone would ask him such a thing.
How is "I have not been contacted for Megaman to be in Brawl" dodging the question? That is outright saying that "As far as I know, Megaman is not in the game, Nintendo have never attempted to get my permission to use his character"

Dodging the question is "We'll see", or "I can't comment", or "That's not up to me to say", or "Check with me in the few months", the above is not dodging the question, it's saying: he's not in the game as far as I know

correction:
"1 or 2 (besides snake) maybe?"

paying attention ftw!
"at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"

Paying attention for the win, indeed.

Blue X

Smash Cadet
Regardless if Isaac is second or first party, that doesn't change that Geno had more mentions than Megaman for a Third-Party character addition, DeDeDe having one more than him (gasp, is DeDeDe in the game? Why, yes he is), with Ike and Diddy Kong having the same number of mentions as him (gasp again, Ike and Diddy are both in the game!)

The fact that Inafune said that Megaman is not in Brawl as far as he is aware should be reason enough for you to realize that the 3rd party character that got more mentions than him is the one Sakurai chose to put in the game; Geno.
Want to know who else got the SAME amount of votes as Megaman but still got in? Lucas. I believe it's been stated multiple times that Inafune does not nearly have as much input as he used to in the Megaman series and he has dodged the question about him being in Brawl several times. But this isn't about whether or not Geno is more deserving than Megaman. I won't even GET into that debate. The truth is we still don't know how many third party characters will get into Brawl IN THE END.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
What about returning Characters? We need to at least see someone else from the Starfox arena in: Falco returning or Krystal.

Ganondorf might have a chance. He'd be so cool TP style. I think those have a better chance of getting in IMO.

Cless

Smash Champion
Day 3 of arguing. *sigh*

No one in the thread (well, at least I'm not) believes that the interview means absolutely nothing, but I think that we in this thread have provided sufficient evidence that the interview doesn't mean an outright deconfirmation. Inafune didn't even create the Mega Man series. He just did the character designs for all the characters. I wish people would read the thread. Inafune doesn't know everything that happens with Mega Man. We've provided evidence of this. He doesn't even have much to do with Mega Man anymore.

What about returning Characters? We need to at least see someone else from the Starfox arena in: Falco returning or Krystal.

Ganondorf might have a chance. He'd be so cool TP style. I think those have a better chance of getting in IMO.
They're first party. They get priority of course.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

Megaman right now still has a better chance of being playable in Brawl than Ness does.
If he wanted to doge the quesion, he would have dodged it. He wouldn't have deconfirmed him clearly , if he was just trying to avoida direct answer.

Ness has no chance also, considering Sakurai said he's not in and Lucas has the same moves. I thought the last of the Ness hopefulls finally saw the light after the SSE movie?

Cless

Smash Champion
If he wanted to doge the quesion, he would have dodged it. He wouldn't have deconfirmed him clearly , if he was just trying to avoida direct answer.

Ness has no chance also, considering Sakurai said he's not in and Lucas has the same moves. I thought the last of the Ness hopefulls finally saw the light after the SSE movie?
We've also shown that Inafune isn't the end all, be all to Mega Man related knowledge.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yea, but if Mega Man was already being included, why would he act as if he wasn't and ask Nintendo to put him in like that?
Because Capcom signed a confidentiality agreement with Nintendo as part of the contract and he is part of Capcom? He likes to **** around with people? He honestly doesn't know? There's tons of possibilities.

edit - I hate photobucket. What the hell happened to my sig?

binki4

Smash Apprentice
i am not in the mood that much of not having megaman in brawl because that keiji inafune said but i excited as a classic megaman fan but somebody from nintendo of japan need a call to inafune RIGHT NOW FOR THIS.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Chi, you still can't prove anything until Brawl comes out.
Maybe Mega Man is still gonna be/is in Brawl? Maybe Ness too? It's not out of the question to have a few clones..

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Chi, you still can't prove anything until Brawl comes out.
Maybe Mega Man is still gonna be/is in Brawl? Maybe Ness too? It's not out of the question to have a few clones..
Sakurai said no clones! Jesus Christ, NOTHING matters to you people, as long as it disagrees with whatever you want.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sakurai said no clones! Jesus Christ, NOTHING matters to you people, as long as it disagrees with whatever you want.
You people? Yeah, that'll help your argument :p
And where specifically did Sakurai say "NO CLONES! :mad:"?
I don't care if I disagree with it, I'm just saying what you say isn't definitive.....
You bring Jesus into this for no reason..

Cless

Smash Champion
Chi, come on now, I've been accepting of deconfirmations in the past, but this is something I am very willing to argue about. I don't think the points I and the others in this thread have made are invalid. This is way too ambiguous and open ended right now. Especially since the general conception is that Inafune has everything to do with Mega Man, which he doesn't. If it was any Nintendo rep saying this, you'd have no argument from me, but a character designer that doesn't have much, if anything at all, to do with the Mega Man franchise anymore?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
How is "I have not been contacted for Megaman to be in Brawl" dodging the question? That is outright saying that "As far as I know, Megaman is not in the game, Nintendo have never attempted to get my permission to use his character"

Dodging the question is "We'll see", or "I can't comment", or "That's not up to me to say", or "Check with me in the few months", the above is not dodging the question, it's saying: he's not in the game as far as I know.
funny thing is that, capcom reps said "No comment" when asked about megaman's inclusion many times. Such as when kenji (or someone) said "no comment" when a rep from rockman perfect memories asked about it. So it's funny how people are taking this ONE answer, even though it doesn't balance out all of the megaman-favorable answers, and taking it as "ZOMG MEGAMAN DECONFIRMED." only goes to show that people are blinded by thier (anti?) fanboyism.

"at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"

Paying attention for the win, indeed.
what was the point of that?

binki4, if Mega Man isn't in the game already, he's not going to be in the game.
while I do believe so, it is still a possibilty, since if kenji was actually being serious(doubtful, but lets just assume so for now) then he would know that there would still be time. He hasn't been in the industry for over 20 years for nothing.

see the top of this post.

If anything Inafune needed to keep his mouth shut about this.
hell yeah he did. I just want some peace for once without these people who think they're smart getting up in our faces.

Almaron

Smash Rookie
I probably sound like a broken record along side the huge number of people who've already stated these points, but, here we are yet again:
1. Nothing but Sakurai determines what is in and out of Brawl.
2 The podcast is INTERPRETABLE evidence. Arguing about it one way or the other has clearly gotten us nowhere.
3. Mr. Inafune, as I stated in some number of pages back, is not the sole creator of MegaMan, nor is he the owner of the licensing rights.
4. He did in fact say, "No Comment" when addressed at the anniversary event. This is, again, interpretable evidence.
5. We, as an online community, do know that developers can lie. (notice I made no remark about Inafune lying/covering up)

I intended this post to be objectional, from the stand point of someone who has no bias. Naturally this is impossible for me because I have been and always will be a MegaMan fan.

Lastly, I'd like to address those who believe it is their duty to "beat some sense into us". I see no reason why we cannot "delude ourselves", as you put it. As a matter of fact, I would imagine that letting us believe MegaMan is in and then come Jan. 24th find he's not, would be all the sweeter victory for you. So, I simply ASK that you cease to bring this point up.
I never thought I'd have to quote myself, but I'm too lazy to type this all out again. These are all the same points that we keep going over and over and over and over again. Chi, you can argue until your fingers bleed from typing, and the MegaMan fans will not conceed. Same goes for us MegaMan supporters. We can reason, go crazy, and argue until we need IV's inserted into our swollen fingers, but someone who interprets the Podcast as a true "deconfirmation" will stick by it.

Finally, Chi, Mr. Sakurai made a comment that any clones moving up from melee would get a new moveset. He has made no mention of clones being removed. If you show me a link where he stated "No Clones" in black and white, I'll recede this comment.
Are the chances of their being clones in the game low? Yes. Is it possible, if not probable, that you may be right? Yes.
As a MegaMan supporter, I cannot deconfirm him. As a realist, however, I cannot deny the idea that there's at least a 50% chance that he is, indeed, out.

Cless

Smash Champion
The only way Mega Man would be added to the game if they don't already have him and are waiting for permission is if he were either a clone/mix of characters, or if they delayed the game again. I can't see them making everything up for Mega Man if they didn't have permission in the first place. It's a massive waste of resources.

Worst comes to worst, if Mega Man is indeed not in the game, we'll cry a little bit, say "oh well", and go on. But everyone will be like "Hah, told you so" except less polite and more internet type.

Almaron, either the podcast doesn't mean anything or it's an outright deconfirmation, so I guess you're right: 50/50.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
The only way Mega Man would be added to the game if they don't already have him and are waiting for permission is if he were either a clone/mix of characters, or if they delayed the game again. I can't see them making everything up for Mega Man if they didn't have permission in the first place. It's a massive waste of resources.

Worst comes to worst, if Mega Man is indeed not in the game, we'll cry a little bit, say "oh well", and go on. But everyone will be like "Hah, told you so" except less polite and more internet type.
once again, I DO believe megaman is in or not in, if anything, but we can't entirely deny the fact that they could add some last minute content. brawl isn't being rushed like melee is, and there are rumors of SSBB being delayed to march.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Remember how Snake wasn't in Melee because they were already too far in development by the time Kojima asked? Well it looks like that's the same situation with Megaman now. Megaman was never a "shoe-in" character like Sonic was. He was long shot from the very beginning. His chances were never any higher than Bomberman's, or Pac-Man's, or Tails', or about half a dozen other 3rd party characters that I could name.

And now, unless it turns out that the reason the game was delayed was so they could add Megaman, then I'd say that Megaman has no chance at all. Deal with it.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yet again, someone who just comes in and posts and doesn't read the thread.

Another thing, I never said Mega Man was a shoe-in, but he has way more history with Nintendo than Pac-Man and Bomberman. Mega Man was essentially a Nintendo character before the whole Sony-Nintendo fiasco.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Remember how Snake wasn't in Melee because they were already too far in development by the time Kojima asked? Well it looks like that's the same situation with Megaman now. Megaman was never a "shoe-in" character like Sonic was. He was long shot from the very beginning. His chances were never any higher than Bomberman's, or Pac-Man's, or Tails', or about half a dozen other 3rd party characters that I could name.
like I said before, melee was rushed and was under a very tight development schedule, and also had a much smaller team, so they didn't have enough time to add new characters. But that's not the point. The point is...well....every other point I've been making in this thread. go read the rest of it, before just going in a blindly posting.

Another thing, I never said Mega Man was a shoe-in, but he has way more history with Nintendo than Pac-Man and Bomberman. Mega Man was essentially a Nintendo character before the whole Sony-Nintendo fiasco.
not to mention, megaman is a much more popular, and highly demanded character. just look at some japanese smash forums. he's really the 2nd most popular 3rd party, making megaman a step above the rest.
heck, he's more of a nintendo character than most 1st party characters on the roster right now. matter of fact, megaman (the classic version) has only had 2 games that are not on nintendo systems (not counting rereleases or appearances on systems that aren't competing anymore, like the SEGA mega drive)

not to mention Capcom loves crossovers, proven by:

SF vs Xmen
SF vs Marvel
Marvel vs Capcom
MVC2
SNK vs Capcom
snk vs capcom chaos
NamcoXcapcom...

Cless

Smash Champion
like I said before, melee was rushed and was under a very tight development schedule, and also had a much smaller team, so they didn't have enough time to add new characters. But that's not the point. The point is...well....every other point I've been making in this thread. go read the rest of it, before just going in a blindly posting.

not to mention, megaman is a much more popular, and highly demanded character. just look at some japanese smash forums. he's really the 2nd most popular 3rd party, making megaman a step above the rest.
heck, he's more of a nintendo character than most 1st party characters on the roster right now. matter of fact, megaman (the classic version) has only had 2 games that are not on nintendo systems (not counting rereleases or appearances on systems that aren't competing anymore, like the SEGA mega drive)

not to mention Capcom loves crossovers, proven by:

SF vs Xmen
SF vs Marvel
Marvel vs Capcom
MVC2
SNK vs Capcom
snk vs capcom chaos
NamcoXcapcom...
What's the other game besides Mega Man 8?

Yeah, Capcom is always up for a crossover. Capcom vs SNK is fighting game history. SvC Chaos was crap, but a lot of those games were obligatory because of a contract. Namco X Capcom didn't do nearly as well as expected, and Capcom lost the Marvel license to EA apparently. Brawl is their last hope lol.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
What's the other game besides Mega Man 8?

Yeah, Capcom is always up for a crossover. Capcom vs SNK is fighting game history. SvC Chaos was crap, but a lot of those games were obligatory because of a contract. Namco X Capcom didn't do nearly as well as expected, and Capcom lost the Marvel license to EA apparently. Brawl is their last hope lol.
Mega Man and Bass.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Things do look bad for the Blue Bomber.

But you can't help but think....

I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai would of jumped at the chance to get Mega Man into Brawl and that talks about it would of been finalized. So either Inafune has bad memory, is out of the loop, is covering up, or infact Capcom was never notified which is highly doubtful (But not impossible).

Also people need to realize that Inafune is not Capcom so any calls could of gone over his head. Then again it's plausable to consider that Inafune would at least be in the know.

So as it stands things look very bad and Inafune really needs to clear matters up concering the issue.

Cless

Smash Champion
Battle and Chase doesn't sound too bad. I may go find an X Collection now, but the other one sounds kinda eh.

Things do look bad for the Blue Bomber.

But you can't help but think....

I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai would of jumped at the chance to get Mega Man into Brawl and that talks about it would of been finalized. So either Inafune has bad memory, is out of the loop, is covering up, or infact Capcom was never notified which is highly doubtful (But not impossible).

Also people need to realize that Inafune is not Capcom so any calls could of gone over his head. Then again it's plausable to consider that Inafune would at least be in the know.

So as it stands things look very bad and Inafune really needs to clear matters up concering the issue.
Yeah, even when Inafune was heavily involved with all things Mega Man, Capcom could still do what they wanted with the character.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
I would just love for Inafune or someone at Capcom to explain things so we have a better understanding.

I can accept Mega Man not being in but the way things are going with this whole things seems way too inconsistant.

Must be the denial talking....

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
There's also that "Rockman Strategy" game for the PC that was made by a Chinese company, but was still licensed by Capcom. It's really rare, I know of only 3 people in the English-speaking fanbase that possess that game, and the company behind it has since went belly-up.

But any way, tirkaro is really correct with his assessment. Hell, the Japanese care more about Rockman than they do Snake, and especially, Sonic. Those two guys predominantly find their fans amongst the west, but Rockman has always been big in Japan and has a respectable presence worldwide. You might even say that the main reason that Capcom hasn't gone out of business (especially during their rough times back around the turn of the century), was primarily due to Rockman games, especially the highly profitable EXE games on the GBA.

So, I would think that if Sakurai didn't open up the lines of communication months ago, certainly Capcom would themselves, whether or not Inafune was part of the equation or not. There's too much profit to be had for Capcom to just say "no" to free advertising, and only doing more to cater to their homegrown fans, who would like nothing more than to see at least ONE version of the blue bomber in a game like Brawl/X.

Personally, I'm hoping for either the OG or EXE, if it's not such a thing that one could be a costume change for the other. After all, if Network Transmission for the GC is any indicator, EXE is also able to do things like Slide and other classic Rockman conventions. And that's all I could really ask for...

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
No .exe, only classic for Brawl. .exe can stay in Blade Warriors.
I'd prefer it that way too, but let's face it, .EXE would do more to appeal to a significantly wider audience than the Classic model, because a whole generation of Rockman fans got to know of the franchise through growing up with the GBA games. So, I'm just being realistic, in spite of what I really want, and that's for the blue-eyed guy who started this whole mess to have his first new appearance, since the likes of Cannon Spike and Marvel vs. Capcom years ago.

In any case...how about we at least agree that either is definitely preferable to the Ryuusei/Star Force model, at least? :chuckle:

Top Bottom