• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Link Discussion Thread

Dynamism

Smash Lord
The bombs are freakin amazing. Link needs the bombs and they must be mastered to be the best of his potential. I don't think his speed should increase though. Speed may take away from the affectiveness of his range advantages and strength. Maybe a quicker bow would be cool though. Quick release would make him much better. Harder to predict. .

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
The bombs are freakin amazing. Link needs the bombs and they must be mastered to be the best of his potential. I don't think his speed should increase though. Speed may take away from the affectiveness of his range advantages and strength. Maybe a quicker bow would be cool though. Quick release would make him much better. Harder to predict. .
Well, only playing with range sucks when you play someone who's good enough with their shield. I think of range as almost being a distraction, something to keep your opponent off guard while Link rushes in for a barrage of strikes. I love playing up close and personal with Link, but his speed is so bad that I normally get punished for it.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Well, only playing with range sucks when you play someone who's good enough with their shield. I think of range as almost being a distraction, something to keep your opponent off guard while Link rushes in for a barrage of strikes. I love playing up close and personal with Link, but his speed is so bad that I normally get punished for it.
i'm just like that. i hate using long range attacks. with all my characters i'm in the battle doing a lot of damage, while at the same time getting my a** kicked. but he does have some good long range tactics, his bow and arrows especially

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I don't like the bow because it never seems to hit anyone, takes too long to charge, and doesn't do nearly enough damage. I LOVE the boomerang, but he lags when pulling it out, and his bombs are to die for. I still say his close range attacks though need some extra speed, so he can really tear into opponents.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
The bows are my least fave. The only time I use them is to trap people with 1 combo I like to do.
- Take out a bomb
- Throw boomerang hard up
- Jump high forward while charging bow and fire when appropriate
- Land and throw bomb
I hit the guy with at least one of the three, not very effective for the amount of time and timing it takes but it's garanteed damage.
Other than that I use bows for running away and shooting and it usually doesn't work well LOL

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Ike confirmed eh? I pray that Link isn't going to be sucky compared to him. I mean, he looks cool and all, but I'm sick of Nintendo putting one of their most popular characters behind everyone else...grrr....

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
I predict being able to use the clawshot twice after falling off a ledge, rather than adding another clawshot apart from the other one...although that would be pretty unfair because it would make Link's recovery ridiculously good....

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I hope they somehow add in Link's "Ball and Chain". That'd be so kickass.
Also for good looking alternate costumes and a better taunt than Melee Link.

And for Gale boomerang, like in the games, if the boomerang is used and makes contact with certain items, it should pick it up, and when/if it returns to Link, he should obtain the object.

Would be a good idea, but probably useless in tournament games.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Please Sakurai, DECREASE LINK'S ****ING LAG!!! I swear, I was playing with Link again (I've been messing around with Marth for a bit) and realized just HOW MUCH LAG Link has! It's insane! Give me a speed boost/decrease Link's horrendous lag! He could EASILY be top tier with the mindgame potential he has! It's just his speed that holds him back! :grrr:

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Please Sakurai, DECREASE LINK'S ****ING LAG!!! I swear, I was playing with Link again (I've been messing around with Marth for a bit) and realized just HOW MUCH LAG Link has! It's insane! Give me a speed boost/decrease Link's horrendous lag! He could EASILY be top tier with the mindgame potential he has! It's just his speed that holds him back! :grrr:
1.) If Ike replaces Marth, then Link's lag may not be as noticeable.... ><

2.) I would sign a petition for making Link have less lag, just sayin'

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Well from the screen shot, it looks as though Yoshi and Link have a similar beginning as Mario and Kirby....and the Halberd comes to them as well

tirkaro

Smash Champion
if they cant fix link's lag, they should at least give this link a much bigger strength increase. I mean, TP link was able to move full-charging animals, and was able to lift up a giant goron, WITHOUT any sissy power bracelets. thats some real manliness right there.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
if they cant fix link's lag, they should at least give this link a much bigger strength increase. I mean, TP link was able to move full-charging animals, and was able to lift up a giant goron, WITHOUT any sissy power bracelets. thats some real manliness right there.
XDXD True. Sumo Link ftw!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well, i'm partial to the gale boomerang, cause he seems to have the same moveset, and really his other attacks are the same, so just switch his regular boomerang with the gale version

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
one item from twilight princess? hm... tough one. either ball and chain, or bomb arrows.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Ideed that would be a nice addition. Better yet, you take out a bomb, and when you use an arrow, it's a bomb arrow. Then it would be BRILLIANT
True, then they couldn't be considered cheap since you'd have to think a few steps ahead before shooting one...

Bomb arrows would be great for edge guarding.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
cheap? who said cheap?
Yeah, and getting back...or is that what you meant?
I just thought that some people might consider an arrow that explodes on contact, cheap. But lets say that you've sent someone flying off the stage, and then you hit them with a bomb arrow, which explodes, sending them beyond return. Awesome to me, maybe cheap to some.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
How would bomb arrows be any more "cheap" then missiles? Missiles also explode on impact, but they are not affected by gravity unlike bombs and arrows. Also, if the speed of Samus' missile firing and Link's arrow firing returns from Melee, then Link is already a lot slower at firing arrows then Samus firing missiles. Further more, if you had to pull out a bomb then fire an arrow it would take quite a bit of time to use. Even further more, if they wanted too, they could make bomb arrows heavier like they did in Twilight Princess.

I'm failing to see how bomb arrows could in anyway be considered remotely cheap. I expect if they got in and you had to do all that work, they would do more damage then a missile, but that's about it.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Him and Yoshi have to free Mario because he's their only hope of defeating the POWER, but Mario's currently in the SUBSPACE fighting the evil POWER.
Replace "POWER" with "THE MAN" and it's hilarious (OMG big spider! on mah desk OMG) *squashed*

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or does this new Badge item seem like it's going to screw Link over more? ****, he better be freakin compensated in the sword department for this!!!

:demon:

Top Bottom