• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE OFFICIAL Kennesaw, GA (and surrounding areas) Thread

GA Peach

Smash Lord
@nicaboy - thanks, even though not too many people entered cvs2. i had pretty close matches with people who beat me.

@rayku - in order to play something besides crappy Brawl, you MAY actually have to try to go out and find the other communities...

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
I suppose the reason I could enjoy Brawl is because it gave me a chance to beat people I never thought possible like, for example, Marty! But..I dont think it counted because he hated the game at the time and was just playing for "fun", even though he definitely wasnt having fun. I miss melee now though.

By the way Marty I heard some sort of video game arcade type-thing was coming up in that shopping center on Jiles road, right after you cross over 41 from Pine Mountain. I havent had a chance to check it out yet, have you heard anything about it?

Edit: So who was rooting for the Steelers?

Rayku

Smash Lord
Heh. And that's the reason that people hate Brawl: Because people that shouldn't beat them, do.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Heh. And that's the reason that people hate Brawl: Because people that shouldn't beat them, do.
Or you know... it's a different game. Being good at melee != automatically being good at brawl. If you assume you're going to be good at brawl because you were good at melee... well... that's a little flawed.

Just saying.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Or you know... it's a different game. Being good at melee != automatically being good at brawl. If you assume you're going to be good at brawl because you were good at melee... well... that's a little flawed.

Just saying.
For the most part. If your good at melee, your probably going to get good at brawl really quickly.
Actually.
For someone who just picked up brawl and was not serious about melee, the experienced player learns 20x as fast as the non-experienced player.
Thats FACT.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
For the most part. If your good at melee, your probably going to get good at brawl really quickly.
Actually.
For someone who just picked up brawl and was not serious about melee, the experienced player learns 20x as fast as the non-experienced player.
Thats FACT.
You can replace Melee with just about any fighting game and a person smart enough/interested enough to learn simple principles of DI...

I'm just saying that melee skill and brawl skill are mostly uncorrelated. All the "hardcore" bits of knowledge in melee don't come in to play as much. Knowing when Fox's upsmash kills Mewtwo? Worthless. But knowing general things that everyone whose played a fighting game would know - (spacing, pattern-noticing, etc) are the most important things.

I never played Melee competitively (I played with friends, sometimes with tourney rules, and knew some ATs, just sandboxed around though) but I've played a few different fighting games on a competitive level... and I don't think being really good at wavedashing, l-cancelling, or teching would improve my brawl game any :)

GA Peach

Smash Lord
@ZOM~B - you DO know that Brawl has been proven to grant some advantages to the losing player, right? such as making the winning player trip more, etc. Lucario also gets a boost if he is down in stocks, from what I have been told. Go competitive game...also, being similar games, being good at melee DOES correlate with brawl. think about it. who are the best players in the nation right now? surprise...people who are melee veterans.

fyi, starting tomorrow, i am training seriously in brawl. in 2 months, you're ALL dead. that is all.

@Dsamoan - nah, i haven't heard about it. i hope it's good and not some hole in the wall, though. keep me posted on what you hear about it, ok? or maybe we can just go check it out sometime. let me know when and if you want to.

@Rayku - that's EXACTLY why that game sucks so badly; the game stops you from punishing people who make ******** ****-ups.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
@ZOM~B - you DO know that Brawl has been proven to grant some advantages to the losing player, right? such as making the winning player trip more, etc. Lucario also gets a boost if he is down in stocks, from what I have been told. Go competitive game...also, being similar games, being good at melee DOES correlate with brawl. think about it. who are the best players in the nation right now? surprise...people who are melee veterans.
Lucario gets a boost at high%'s and gets a boost/deficiency if he is behind or ahead on stocks.

And I've not heard about the winning player tripping more. I don't see how this addresses me though? And it could well be that the kind of people who would be interested in playing another smash game are the same as those who were interested in playing a previous smash game? And I'm not saying being good at one will not make you good at the other... just that it makes you good because of general things like spacing and predictions.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'll call you up probably this friday or saturday and we can go there if your not too busy. I hope its not a bust like that small arcade we went to last time, but even so at least this one wont be an hour and a half away.

Hey ZOM~B, you should send me your friend code, I'm curious to see how you play.

And Mike, whos that in your avatar? He looks too familiar.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Looks like whats his face from Valkyria Chronicles... I suck at names. The Lancer dude. And I'll play with you Moan. You up for some now maybe? I have to get the FC since I'd be using my roommates wii.

Laijin

Smash Hero
You can replace Melee with just about any fighting game and a person smart enough/interested enough to learn simple principles of DI...

I'm just saying that melee skill and brawl skill are mostly uncorrelated. All the "hardcore" bits of knowledge in melee don't come in to play as much. Knowing when Fox's upsmash kills Mewtwo? Worthless. But knowing general things that everyone whose played a fighting game would know - (spacing, pattern-noticing, etc) are the most important things.

I never played Melee competitively (I played with friends, sometimes with tourney rules, and knew some ATs, just sandboxed around though) but I've played a few different fighting games on a competitive level... and I don't think being really good at wavedashing, l-cancelling, or teching would improve my brawl game any :)
I'm pretty sure melee mind games do in fact apply to brawl. And where do you learn these mind games? They certainly don't appear over night or from playing other games seriously.
For example. I play brawl once every 3-4 months whenever there is a local tournament at school. I only play at these tournaments and not in between(School keeps me busy), but I do play melee in the mean time. Meanwhile, there are several really good brawl players at my school who plays extremely seriously and has been trying to learn this game since it came out last year. They are very hard core players and they play this game religiously almost every night(no lie..they are always trying to invite me over).

Why is it that I, who I absolutely no practice with this game, can go to a tournament at school with a bunch of people(and that group of people who play religiously every night), and not lose one game to anyone there but rather instead end up 2 or 3 stocking everyone I play at these tournaments?

Seriously? Really? No really. These guys are good. They know what combos into what, they play really fast, etc etc. They know what their doing. I on the other hand just play the game like melee. Yes. Its not cool at all. What kind of badly made fighting game actually rewards you for not playing it?
When I did'nt play Melee for a long time(8 montsh) and went to a tournament, I could'nt do anything. Or even when I tried playing Marty and Mike last month in Guilty Gear after not playing for a long time, I could'nt even run forward when I wanted to. Everything just ****s up.

I'm done ranting. You don't have to practice brawl to be good at brawl.
Thats my argument.

Well. Ok. Maybe practicing will give you an edge over everyone else. But you don't have to practice and train as much in comparison to other games.
So in other words, I can continue playing melee, watch a couple of brawl vids and be like "oh cool. so that works but this does'nt etc etc" then be tournament ready.

Edit: I also know this has nothing to with our original argument. But look at what Marty said. Melee vets are all the best brawl players too. I'm sure all the new brawl players did'nt play any less or even played than them since the melee vets played melee too. So why are they the lead players? HMMM?

Edit 2: Is Street Fighter HD Remix like SF2 Championship edition or SF2 Turbo? I play Championship edition A LOT :\

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Lol. I'm just saying that in general a lot of fighting game "skills" transfer over, not just melee. Some specific knowledge is helpful, but otherwise they're pretty different. Why do you think Justin Wong is so **** beast at everything? :p

Laijin

Smash Hero
Lol. I'm just saying that in general a lot of fighting game "skills" transfer over, not just melee. Some specific knowledge is helpful, but otherwise they're pretty different. Why do you think Justin Wong is so **** beast at everything? :p
Cause his life is devoted to fighting games and thats all he ever plays or does?
Melee is so different. A pro melee player can not get into the 2D fighting realm so easily because its completely different. Vice versa. A pro at 2D fighting games can not get into Melee so easily. Its just so much different that you can't even compare them

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Cause his life is devoted to fighting games and thats all he ever plays or does?
Melee is so different. A pro melee player can not get into the 2D fighting realm so easily because its completely different. Vice versa. A pro at 2D fighting games can not get into Melee so easily. Its just so much different that you can't even compare them
Well yes. And I think that's why people aren't so fond of brawl. Brawl is not necessarily "so different" I mean it's definitely different from 2d fighters, but it doesn't have the tech skill barrier that melee had. If you had good tech skill and no thought in your gameplay you could destroy someone without tech skill even if they thought out all their moves.

Now don't get me wrong, in high levels of play to be a good player you had to think it through too. If both players had the tech skill mastered then it became a non-issue, and the game came down to playing smart, thinking fast, and all those things encompassed in "mind games."

However, brawl doesn't have the same "Tech skill barrier"

Some people like this, some people don't.

I personally like it. I think it's more personal, not having to worry about tech skill and just thinking about your moves and your opponent's. Like I said though, melee is probably just as personal once you learn the tech skill. Low "tech skill barrier" promotes a large community though, and limits the amount of elitism (though smash community in general is pretty cool, so this doesn't exactly apply.)

Anyway my point is that there isn't any "mindless" play anymore. Even against scrubs if you're not all there you can lose. I mean some people like being able to get better just by practicing on their own... but in brawl there's little to improve in practice mode just by practicing button inputs, so you can't really get better by yourself. You just have to play other people.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
I guess no one really wants to respond to you since you basically said tech skill is more important than mindgames,,,which is wrong...But hey, if thats what happened to you in your experience with melee I guess we cant change that.

So, has anyone been holding major smashfests in GA lately, or have you all just been going to tournaments?

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
That's not what I meant... I just meant that in some cases if the tech skill gap was big enough mind games didn't matter.

I didn't really ever feel compelled to overcome that tech skill barrier. I'm sure once you do there's plenty of mind games. That's all. :) They're both good games, but they're different enough that obviously different people are enjoying different ones. That's my opinion anyway.

Laijin

Smash Hero
That's not what I meant... I just meant that in some cases if the tech skill gap was big enough mind games didn't matter.

I didn't really ever feel compelled to overcome that tech skill barrier. I'm sure once you do there's plenty of mind games. That's all. :) They're both good games, but they're different enough that obviously different people are enjoying different ones. That's my opinion anyway.
Look at Drephen. Thats the most un-techiest Sheik player i've ever seen. all that man does is down smash, grab and f-tilt. Pure mind games.
You don't need tech to win, it just helps with execution and well..everything really. lol.

One of the things which people say melee is better than brawl is the fact that you actually have to practice and spend time with melee. You don't have to practice or play brawl to be good at brawl.
Thats like..joining a sports team but being awesome at it without barely ever playing or practicing it. Does that make sense? Of course not. Therefore, brawl does not make any sense.

I think I just won the argument.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
Guess thats a wrap.

So I went to check out the arcade to see if it was worth checking out(funny, I know) and it seems like a pretty nice place. I dont really know many other arcades to compare it to, but It has at least 20 computers, all with any game you could ever imagine, about 8 TV's all hooked up to a 360, a PS3 because no one plays that really, and two Wii's. They also have a room solely dedicated to Rock Band/Guitar hero etc (I liked that room). I asked about tournaments and they said that they take suggestions from their customers, then theyll advertise it in the store for you, and if they can get at least 10 people to sign up theyll hold it. (And they have both smash bros) As far as costs are concerned, Its free for your first hour of playing there, then its either 5 dollars an hour, or on the weekends you can pay 25 dollars to play from opening to closing(which is 10-11 I think) We can ask about more specific tournament costs next time I guess. their website is www.thegaminghub.net, and their address is 1750 Jiles Road Ste 109 Kennesaw 30152

So yeah, definitely worth checking out more.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
know elliot plays brawl for just the 3 days leading up to a tournament and places top 10

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Lol that's the point I was trying to make. Some people want to have something to practice... some people don't. I have better things to do with my time than practice melee... like... uh... play brawl... and uh... argue on the internet. I mean, he's obviously winning for a reason, it's not like he wins because he doesn't play, or he wins because he's a worse player, he wins because he's good at the game. Besides brawl seems to be attracting a lot of people who haven't played fighting games before. (I imagine melee was similar to this when they first came out). A lot of players are still learning how to deal with playing a human vs. playing a computer... it's a long step to make, but everone who plays fighting games competitively eventually has to make that jump. Especially if you play bad matchups, since statistically you shouldn't be able to win.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
That being said, I'm not trying to say that practicing melee isn't worth the time or anything... as long as you have fun with it and enjoy it everything's worth the time. I mean I waste as much time as anyone else :p

Anyway I'm just trying to get both games "Accepted" if you're having fun, and enjoying it, then play it! If you don't enjoy brawl... then don't play it. Just no johns about "losing to someone you shouldn't" Unless you say "Dang, I just lost brawl to someone I shouldn't lose to in melee!" That's significantly more accurate....

GA Peach

Smash Lord
...i can beat elliot's snake with peach. just saying, your point is thrown out of the window. i was the one that sent him to the loser's bracket. i'm telling you, ZOM~B, just come play some Brawl and get *****. you'll see why this game sucks balls.

btw, unlike other fighting games, smash, particularly brawl, has unwinnable matchups at top level. talk about awesome...

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
...i can beat elliot's snake with peach. just saying, your point is thrown out of the window. i was the one that sent him to the loser's bracket. i'm telling you, ZOM~B, just come play some Brawl and get *****. you'll see why this game sucks balls.

btw, unlike other fighting games, smash, particularly brawl, has unwinnable matchups at top level. talk about awesome...
Dude I'm up for some brawl anytime... I don't see how that invalidates my point though. And I could play melee and get *****.... does that game suck balls too? And ugh... unwinnable matchups are better than triangle jumping. Just saying. I hate triangle jumping.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Dude I'm up for some brawl anytime... I don't see how that invalidates my point though. And I could play melee and get *****.... does that game suck balls too? And ugh... unwinnable matchups are better than triangle jumping. Just saying. I hate triangle jumping.
Triangle jumping is easy with practice.
Just like everything in life generally should be with practice.
Things are much much better appreciated and more respected if it requires practice to get better at it.
Brawl requires almost no practice to get better at it, which is, like I said before why it is not respected as a competitive game so much as melee is.

With that being said, and with you agreeing with me. Your point is absolutely thrown out the window and your actually making this argument worst for yourself.

Unwinnable match ups are worst than triangle jumping? Really? Seriously?
Thats awesome.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord

and then you placed top 10 right

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Such a scrub. Such a scrub.

Id rather get CG'Ed to death at any percent than fight someone with a small technical ability that allows them to move in a way Id have to think. Great logic here buddy.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I just mean that unwinnable matchups can be avoided. Triangle jumping is practically the only viable tactics... it's just boring.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Eh, I just mean that unwinnable matchups can be avoided. Triangle jumping is practically the only viable tactics... it's just boring.
Oh cool. You don't want to take like 2 hours out of your time to learn something really useful? Besides. Triangle Jumping is not even all that important. I rarely use it. I rarely ever see it being used.
Edit: Mind games > Tech skill.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
unwinnable matchups are just that...unwinnable. i mean, if 2 players are of similar skill level in Brawl, Ganondorf will never beat Falco at high level. same with Ike vs Falco. in melee, M2 could never beat Marth, Roy could never beat Ice Climbers, and Koopa could never beat Sheik. in the comparison of the 2 smash games, in melee, even if the characters were in an unwinnable or statistically low chance matchup, the characters themselves had more offensive options to overcome the matchups. in brawl, offense, save MK, was so heavily weakened that if a character you were extremely weak against decided to play defensively, you were looking at a fight you could not ever win. in brawl, even if you catch up to your opponent to punish them, at most you can get a hit or 2 in, then they can tap R and avoid a good percentage of the followup options you could ever come up with. in some characters' cases, it shuts them down period.

to explain the other posts i made, i mentioned the stuff about the losing player advantage because you stated people were losing because Brawl was a different game...just about every mindgame that exists in Melee can be applied to Brawl. the difference is that the defensive buffs allow players to make mistakes, and the system direction covers them a lot more than in Melee. it allows them to powershield without having a good sense of timing. it allows them to recover to the ledge without having to put a whole lot of thought into their approach. it makes the game easier for them so that they can feel they are good without actually having to be, which is what the creator wanted; a "feel-good", non-competitive game.

on another note, to address you other point, if you lose in Melee, you can lose with feeling like you actually got outplayed, which is an ok feeling. in brawl, you can lose because of random system direction (i.e. tripping). i am living proof. i lost money at a waba tournament to reflex because of tripping. luis is a very smart player, and i love him to death, but he messed up badly, and when i went in to punish him, i tripped, and he fsmashed me. i would have had no problem losing if he had just outplayed me there, but he didn't. in normal fighting games, and in Melee, the point he messed up at is the point i had the match won. so, brawl is a bad game because it is designed to try and eliminate skill differences more than any fighting game ever made. getting owned in a game doesn't make it bad. how the loss is acquired can make it bad, though.

also, more so than almost any other fighting game, Brawl is about what character you use. Melee was, but not nearly to the same degree. for example, so this will address Tong also(lol, you ****ing jerk), Elliot used Snake while I used Peach. taking nothing away from Elliot, and he's a solid player in his own right, when I played him, I outplayed him by a great deal. yet, since he was playing Snake, and i literally did trip into a few utilts and ftilts, it made the match very close. i think even he would attest to this as well.

i guess all of this is leading up to this; i really don't see how you can enjoy something where anyone can pick it up and compete. working to achieve something is what makes it satisfying, and what usually makes it involving intellectually. elliot and i both can not even play the game and go place well in tournaments. now, why is that? were we both just inherently born with Smash talent? ...probably not. it's because Brawl is inherently an easy game with nothing to offer outside of the fact that it is relatively new and Zero Suit Samus. that's why i'm gonna practice matchups for a couple of months, **** people, and just show them how awful the game. hopefully everyone will then switch to something worth while like HD Remix or SF4 or something like that. maybe even melee, i guess...

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to legitimatize brawl as a fighting game... honestly both melee and brawl are ENOUGH different from 2d fighting games that it sets them apart. Whether they're better or worse for competition is a different argument...

Me, personally, I love KOF2k2 to death. And I know of one other person who plays it... and we can only ever play it over MAME. But anyway, regardless of whether Brawl is a competitive game... it's been chosen by more people and so if you want lots of competition you have to play it. And if you lose 2 matches by luck... well I guess you ought to hope it doesn't happen again...

But mainly what I'm trying to say:

If you play a game. And you lose. No johns. I lose at melee because I'm worse than most people at melee. Plain and simple. :)

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and I enjoy things where anyone can pick up and compete because it means I can play with my friends... in general I can't see myself losing a bo3 set to someone who is "Worse" than me unless I trip 4-5 times in the most inopportune moments... (And you could always... not dash)

Top Bottom