• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ice Climbers' Video Thread

B0NK

Smash Lord
I picked up the Ice Climbers pretty recently. These vids are some friendlies matches..

Any critiques? Don't go to harsh, these games were for fun, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhoxCfP6FHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMwiE28pKrc
-You are playing very aggressive and unsafe but since your opponent doesn't know how to punish appropriately it didn't make much of a difference =/

-Practice the technical aspects of IC's more. Get the CG's down and also learn more effective desynchs such as dash dance desynching with ice blocks or blizzards instead of smashes. Also use start up desynch when you want to be desynched in the beginning of the match. It look to me that the MK player had no clue how to get past the blizzard wall.

-Don't f-air with popo during chaingrabs, it's doesn't really do anything for you and the start-up is comparable to smash attacks. So just smash if you are planning to attack with popo during the chaingrabs.

-Please get out of the habit of airdodging after hits, especially towards the opponent. Looking at your opponents habits (i.e. d-smash) jump would be the better choice and should have been used until he realized to chase you instead of just charging smashes.

-You don't have to side-b recover in order to synch popo and nana, especially when your opponent is there to punish it. Aerials can also synch popo and nana while offstage, with b-air and u-air being the optimal choices.

-Tell your opponent/friend that ledge hop is not always the best option when on the ledge. You effectively punished it every time, and could have been avoided. Tell him that he does have the choice between get-up attack, get-up, roll, and jump. The way you were pressuring the ledge he could have easily just get-up attacked. (This was just one of many habits that were bothering me).

DScaleb said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_WM9IXBfow
can i get some honest critiques please D:
-Before you got the lead, be careful of just running in with a shield when kirby is in the air with his back towards you. Kirby can poke your shield every time. Kirby was air-stalling and just waited for you to do something (grab, spotdodge, hold shield). Up-smash OoS is usually the best way to punish this type of defensive play.

-D-throw chain when you get the grab at low % to put damage on them and also to stall for nana's return.

-After the opponent SDed and you had the lead you played just like you should have. Wait for the opponent to approach and punish it. Kirby doesn't have much of an approach. You did a good job of punishing kirby's options and also realized that ice blocks stop the up-b spam. (Well it doesn't stop it...but your opponent was just spamming it instead of waiting for the ice blocks or your approach)

-Your opponent should have been able to DI those Up-smash finishers. Make sure to CG to a little higher % so that you get into the habit of it. (Like around 100% - 115% before the U-smash).

-That's pretty much it, after you gained the lead you played like you should and also caught on to your own approaching mistakes from the beginning of the match. Just watch the f-smashes from kirby, the only way you could have avoided the situation was to not let the opponent get so close inside.

Also @ both of you, try to get matches up of when your losing as well as winning because usually it's easier to find mistakes and habits when your behind.

B0NK

Smash Lord
alright, thanks. i'll upload one against a snake where i lost :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U9bnbm32c4
that's one where i lost, i messed up a lot from wifi, failed hobbles and all that, etc D:
Seems like it was the failed hobbles (due to wifi) that loss the match for you (snake is an even dumber match-up w/o CGs), but there are still some things that I saw:

-Don't spotdodge when close Snake, it's always better to just roll away. If snake hits your shield with a jab or f-tilt (first hit), there isn't much you can do unless you were in standing grab range. Unfortunately the jabs and f-tilt pushes you out of range unless you perfect shield it. If the snake knew how to wait for spotdodges he could have done much more to you (like wait for it then b-throw you for separation)

-Wait longer before attempting to u-smash ko snake. This could have been just you trying to put damage on him because of the problems you were having with CGs on wifi, but it still staled the u-smash. Wait 'til around 115%-120% before charging the u-smash.

-Look like you got inpatient towards the end. Don't lose your focus and still be mindful of all the hazards. Also at the percentage he was at b-air or u-air should have killed him. When snake was in the air at that percentage, you just stayed close to the ground, instead you should have been pressuring him and trying to kill with b-airs and u-airs. Snake's options in the air are quite limited, and at that percentage even if he pulled a nade to protect himself he would have died from the nade.

- Make use of your own f-tilts and d-tilts when snake is at that percentage, they are capable of koing and also putting snake in a bad spot offstage. They will be easier to land and less punishable then smashes for koing at that ridiculous percentage.

-Also the snake didn't seem to know the match-up and I believe offline where you could have CG him you would of had no problem. Just at the end of the match don't lose focus and still wait for him to approach you or throw out a dumb jab (he was using the third hit a lot >.<).

HyL!

Smash Lord
alright, thanks a lot D: i'm mainly just using them offline, for a few match ups, i can't stand them online, all the failed cgs :/

Smoom77

Smash Master
I can't watch the video but I find useful when Snake hits you with both ftilts, just jump and squall really quick. He may be faster than you and use utilt but you'll have to see.

Oh and I've been really busy past few weeks. I'll try to update it this week.

PCyph

Smash Apprentice

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Prawn, you can buffer the B-Throw F-Throw cg, that makes it imo so much easier to hit off. Just practice and see what works for you.

You tried to save nana sometimes when she didn't need saving. If nana is vertical enough, she can get back easily. Either way, if your opponent is at 90%+, you can finish them off without nana if you are clever enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Prawn

Smash Master
it is def a very tricky matchup and IMO one of the ones that is even or worse for ics

but very winnable, especially if you are using the Nana IB and then follow with popo(through whatever desync you want, i use shield drop).

you gotta predict a lot of what toon link is gonna do, which isnt too hard because he only has so many options at a given time. i also advise not screwing up the grab so much like i did :D

haha

Smoom77

Smash Master
Lolwut. I don't remember him recording these matches.

Anyways, I'm going to start taking down older videos. Right now, I'm only taking down 2008 videos, which was only a few of Lain's videos. Next, I'm taking out 2009 January to March.

Prawn

Smash Master
yeah i should be at APEX, depending on whether im still playing this game or not by then lol

Smoom77

Smash Master
>_> He put them up this morning. I haven't been on my computer today because of something called....school?Gtfo prawn.

Prawn

Smash Master

Prawn

Smash Master
this is the IC video thread not the IC main video thread

D:

i still love ics i just love mario d3 and emgay more

Top Bottom