• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'm waiting for Sakurai (or whoever does the updates) to slip up. Like, putting kerokerokola in a update or showing a trophy of say...mallow or frogfucius in the background when adventure mode is announced. he has to mess up eventually. >: ( I was skeptical of Sonic, but I believe in Geno, let's hope THIS time I'm right.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
I'm waiting for Sakurai (or whoever does the updates) to slip up. Like, putting kerokerokola in a update or showing a trophy of say...mallow or frogfucius in the background when adventure mode is announced. he has to mess up eventually. >: ( I was skeptical of Sonic, but I believe in Geno, let's hope THIS time I'm right.
that'd be interesting if he shows Mallow as an AT before he announces Geno. i wouldn't put it past him...

Snowy FTW.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
one could still say Sakurai only put KH because more gamers recognize it these days.
I'm with this theory. Sakurai's too clever to simply give away a possible Sora appearance like this.

Sora COULD happen, but I'd imagine there's a few too many legal hoops to jump through to get him. He's owned by two companies, both of them 3rd party. Plus he'd have to get in over Megaman, and that's terribly unlikely.

KiddyDong

Smash Cadet
The picture for geno in Superstar saga isnt showing up, does someone have another?

I've never played SMRPG, but if hes this popular, he must be decent, but megaman before him please.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
that'd be interesting if he shows Mallow as an AT before he announces Geno. i wouldn't put it past him...

Snowy FTW.
Star Rain seems like it would be graphically impressive, and HP Rain would be a life saver in tight situations.

As for Sora, Sakurai would have to deal with Disney for permission and rights to make his stage and go through Square again to develop his moves. That's a lot of effort for one character. Sora would have to have tons of fans that want him in Brawl, but there aren't many fans who really care if Sora were in it or not. So I'd think his chances are none to very slim.

I am a major KH fan, but I'm not really big on Sora for Brawl, though I do think he would be one hell of a character. He could have Reflectega as his down special that reflects everything, and side special to be Strike Raid, up special to be Air Dodge that can get sweet spots, and neutral special to be a homing projectile like Firaga. His character icon would be a Mickey Mouse insignia.

...As much as I love Kingdom Hearts, I'd want Geno over him any day.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
The picture for geno in Superstar saga isnt showing up, does someone have another?

I've never played SMRPG, but if hes this popular, he must be decent, but megaman before him please.
Once again i see a post like this and just /facepalm. Lets get this straight, Geno is not in competition with the likes of Megaman, Bomberman, Ridley, Krystal, and any other characters who will/might make it in. The only probable competition for Geno would be Bowser Jr., and even that isn't very likely. Remember, Geno is not considered 3rd party by Sakurai, and Geno ISN'T even 3rd party due to the "2 1/2" statement. So please stop saying things like "I'd rather see x than y in" when including Geno bceause they're not even comparable in a third party sense.

This is not 100% directly toward you man, I'm just saying this as a general statement to everyone =)

Edit: I'd like to see them all in by the way =P The more the merrier!

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
has anyone given thought to the idea of Geno having a different fanfare than the other Mario characters? it's definitely possible. Meta Knight and Kirby have different victory themes, and yet they share the same icon.

so in theory, Geno could have his own, too. i'm thinking the music that plays when you win a battle in SMRPG.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's a hot topic of discussion. I would love to see Rawest Forest type win theme for Geno. Considering I am going to main him and win all the time against my friends :p

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I've got a quick question. I asked it earlier, but no one really answered it. I believe it is more opinioned based, however. Anyway, here's the question.

I know that Geno is not third party, but Nintendo would still have to speak with Square(correct?). If Nintendo does make contact, and Geno is in Brawl, then would it benefit the likes of Crono(Chrono Trigger) or even Sora(Kingdom Hearts)? I was just wondering that if Geno could benefit my hero, Crono.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Wow. Just wow. I've heard everyone talking about this guy Geno, and I finally see him and I am very dissapointed. He looks like an emotionally disturbed Nutcracker. Why exactly does everyone want him in Brawl?

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
It's possible that it could benefit Crono or Sora if Nintendo did contact Square over Geno. I really don't see how it would harm them since Geno wouldn't count as a 3rd Party character, and it would get Square and Nintendo talking to each other.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Well, Geno really is third-party so Nintendo would have to talk to Square-Enix during which SE probably would offer a better character.
No, you are wrong.

Geno is co-owned by Nintendo and Square as seen by his Cameo in Mario and Luigi Superstar. Also, Sakurai included him in the First Party character list meaning he doesn't consider him to be a 3rd Party Character.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I've got a quick question. I asked it earlier, but no one really answered it. I believe it is more opinioned based, however. Anyway, here's the question.

I know that Geno is not third party, but Nintendo would still have to speak with Square(correct?). If Nintendo does make contact, and Geno is in Brawl, then would it benefit the likes of Crono (Chrono Trigger) or even Sora(Kingdom Hearts)? I was just wondering that if Geno could benefit my hero, Crono.
Yeah, it mainly is based on opinion. ;-;

My thoughts are that (if/when) Sakurai (went/goes) to Square to request Geno, that Square would probably more than inclined to throw in one of their own franchised characters since Geno wouldn't really be considered third party.

But as for Crono, it's a dead series as much as it rocked everyone's socks off so hard. I would think Square would contribute a fresh character that would draw an audience towards their franchise. A character that would boost sales or an iconic character, like a Black Mage and what not.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, it mainly is based on opinion. ;-;

My thoughts are that if/when (past tense) Sakurai goes to Square to request Geno, that Square would probably more than inclined to throw in one of their own franchised characters since Geno wouldn't really be considered third party.

But as for Crono, it's a dead series as much as it rocked everyone's socks off so hard. I would think Square would contribute a character that would draw an audience towards their franchise. A character that would boost sales or an iconic character, like a Black Mage and what not.
See, that is what I was thinking. More of a new character. But, Sakurai is a retro-loving gamer. Crono only appeared on the SNES(PSX but same game). Square also was going to redo Chrono Trigger(Chrono Ressurection) but cut the project. If Crono was in Brawl, then it could revive the character and the game's fans. Correct?

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Wow. Just wow. I've heard everyone talking about this guy Geno, and I finally see him and I am very dissapointed. He looks like an emotionally disturbed Nutcracker. Why exactly does everyone want him in Brawl?
Because.....

1. His official art really, really sucks and everyone agrees. His sprite is much better.

2. Every part of that "emotionally disturbed nutcracker"'s body is stuffed with all sorts of lasers and guns. Also, he has the ability to turn into a cannon and shoot small suns at people.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
how you geno fanatics react if monday the update is geno as an AT?
As I've already explained, Geno's chances of becoming an AT are extremelly small because we've already had 18 ATs revealed, 7 playable franchises that don't have an AT yet, there's obviously some playable franchises that haven't been revealed yet, and there are still plenty of small franchises that Nintendo hasn't tapped into yet. Realistically, there will probably be about 30 ATs and the Mario franchises already has two, the Hammer Bros and the 2D Lakitu. The trend also seems to be that no playable franchise has more then one 3D AT so, with that said, Geno's dodged a bullet in that regard and so have other characters like Ridley (because of the Metroid), Krystal (because of Andross), and Claus (because of Pokey).

In the end, we're left with this ultimateum: Geno will either be in the game as a playable character or he won't be in at all.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
See, that is what I was thinking. More of a new character. But, Sakurai is a retro-loving gamer. Crono only appeared on the SNES(PSX but same game). Square also was going to redo Chrono Trigger(Chrono Ressurection) but cut the project. If Crono was in Brawl, then it could revive the character and the game's fans. Correct?
He's basically in the same boat as Geno is, but Geno has a gigantic cult-like fanbase backing him. Many Geno fans are hoping that this means the return of Geno as a character in the Mario Series.

Having Crono come back in more games would be awesome though.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, but Sakurai would be reluctant to get anything from them unless he went to them and asked for a specific character. I had hope in Chrono Break, but Square cut the project as well. I am pretty sure we'll see a game like NiGHTS that has fans craving for a future installment and we'll probably get it way later on, like mid-life cycle on the PS3 or something, but I don't think Brawl would revive it just yet. Also, I think Sakurai would want a retro Nintendo character, I'm not too sure about third party's past phenomenas. So in a way, it's incorrect-- I totally am not meaning to put a rain on your parade or anything, besides, this is my opinion, and nothing more, and by what we've seen, anything can happen in this game. But I'm just basing most of my opinions on logic.

I think it's a matter of what both companies can make a big profit off of. Like having a fresh character that lure a larger audience to their games, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts.

...I'm totally not feeling Dragon Quest though. >:

Devastlian

Smash Lord
No, you are wrong.

Geno is co-owned by Nintendo and Square as seen by his Cameo in Mario and Luigi Superstar. Also, Sakurai included him in the First Party character list meaning he doesn't consider him to be a 3rd Party Character.
M&L doesn't say anything about any co-ownership; just that Geno was used by SE's permission. Nintendo says SE owns them as do the copyrights in SMRPG.

That "list" did have quite a few third-party characters on it.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
M&L doesn't say anything about any co-ownership; just that Geno was used by SE's permission.
Exactly.

Why would Nintendo go through the trouble of asking for permission to use Geno as a short cameo in a mini game? Do you think that they would pay for that kind of stuff?

All they did was put him in the game without asking SE. All they had to do at the end of the credits was put that he is owned by SE.

They could do that same thing for Brawl.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
just the response I'd expect from somebody who just simply looks at Geno and frowns.

that's the great part about some characters. =)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Exactly.

Why would Nintendo go through the trouble of asking for permission to use Geno as a short cameo in a mini game? Do you think that they would pay for that kind of stuff?

All they did was put him in the game without asking SE. All they had to do at the end of the credits was put that he is owned by SE.

They could do that same thing for Brawl.
No...it doesn't work like that.

I just checked and M&L just says that the rights to Geno are reserved by SE...just correcting my last post.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno choosing the doll as his form was suppose to act as a complete contradiction to his power and personality, and add a simplistic/ child-like element unseen in other heavenly beings of near omnipotent power....

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
No...it doesn't work like that.

I just checked and M&L just says that the rights to Geno are reserved by SE...just correcting my last post.
This is probably the best response I could give to that.

This is a 3rd party argument from Fatmanonice's "Geno: Star of Heaven thread":

"The legal situation surrounding Geno (and Vaati) is not the same as Sonic and Megaman. Yes, Geno is third party and owned by Square Enix but Nintendo really has more say in the character. Why? Because Geno was in a Mario game (a first party franchise owned by Nintendo) that makes him a Mario character. There's no getting around that. Because of this, Square Enix cannot legally use him outside of this context because (as the copyright says at the end of all Mario games) Nintendo owns all the scenarios that occur in the Mario games. Geno was part of the story in Super Mario RPG thus pulling him into the scenario AKA the story and plot points of the game. My point was proved both during the offical Melee and Brawl polls when Geno was, despite his legal situation, categorized as a Mario character and seperated from the other third party characters."

"Now that is cleared up, let me explain things further. Because Geno is a Mario character, Square Enix cannont legally refuse Nintendo the rights to him if they wish to use them nor use him outside the context of a Mario game unless Nintendo is involved with the project. In the end, Nintendo basically controls the situation surrounding him and that makes Geno pretty much worthless to Square Enix. For further proof of this, ask yourself this: Why was Geno in a Mario game that Square Enix played no part in developing? Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga was developed by Nintendo and Alpha Dream. It is even questionable whether or not Square Enix recieved some of the profits based on Geno's inclusion in the game."

"Now let's compare Geno with Sonic. Sonic makes millions of dollars for Sega every year and is their biggest icon. Geno is a character that was playable in one game that sold about 2 million copies worldwide more then a decade ago and has basically been sitting in a filing cabinet since 2003. See a difference? I certainly do."

"So there you have it. Geno's legal situation laid out in black and white. Yes, Nintendo will still have to get permission to use him and probably have to pay a minor fee (would you like to compare the "rental" cost of Sonic's or Megaman's copyrights to Geno's?) for him but, in the end, Geno is very, very different from other third party characters."

Super Mario Whirled

Smash Journeyman
Geno's legal situation is extremely confusing... I don't think anyone knows for sure whether Nintendo'll have to pay big bucks for him, a small amount, or even nothing at all...

For the AT comment: No. There's no way in hell Nintendo's going to waltz up to Square, ask for Geno, get the legal rights straightened out, [possibly] pay for him, and then stick him in a spot equivalent of a cameo. Not gonna happen.

I could only hope that Nintendo would buy him instead of borrow him though- then they could bring him back and give Square a good slap in the face by earning millions off him with a SMRPG sequel...

v Is the new sig's message clear enough, or is it a bit subtle? :laugh:

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
Geno's legal situation is extremely confusing... I don't think anyone knows for sure whether Nintendo'll have to pay big bucks for him, a small amount, or even nothing at all...

For the AT comment: No. There's no way in hell Nintendo's going to waltz up to Square, ask for Geno, get the legal rights straightened out, [possibly] pay for him, and then stick him in a spot equivalent of a cameo. Not gonna happen.

I could only hope that Nintendo would buy him instead of borrow him though- then they could bring him back and give Square a good slap in the face by earning millions off him with a SMRPG sequel...

v Is the new sig's message clear enough, or is it a bit subtle? :laugh:
^ I really hope so. I hope Nintendo buys Geno and then makes a true Super Mario Rpg sequel. And I love the signature.

By the way, so if/when Geno is confirmed, does this open up the possibilities of Geno being in future Mario/Nintendo games?

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Nice Sig SMW. I get it.

@Igloo

That is exactly what every true Geno fan is hoping for. The main reason I want him in Brawl is because I think this will open doors for him. Maybe even lead to the production of a brand new Super Mario RPG. That would be the greatest day in my gaming life.

Super Mario Whirled

Smash Journeyman
^ I really hope so. I hope Nintendo buys Geno and then makes a true Super Mario Rpg sequel. And I love the signature.

By the way, so if/when Geno is confirmed, does this open up the possibilities of Geno being in future Mario/Nintendo games?
Heh, thanks. I'm wanting a sequel more than I actually want Brawl, but I suppose Geno'll have to do something before Nintendo stops being idiots and buys him back. -__-

If Geno is confirmed (which he will be, mark my words), it would depend on whether Nintendo actually buys or just borrows him...

And even then they might have to buy Mallow back, too...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Back.

AS someone earlier posted its either hes in or hes not, which ive been posting for a while now...>.>

But yeah Cameo? No. Not like Ridley and Dedede in Melee.

Gotta love how the Ridley/Megaman/Geno fans are together now. =)

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
One could still say the cameo could mean Nintendo didn't care enough to put him in with the storyline.

Therefore, he won't get any higher than a cameo on Brawl.

but that's playing devil's advocate. just another possibility. clearly those games were directed by different people.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
One could still say the cameo could mean Nintendo didn't care enough to put him in with the storyline.

but that's playing devil's advocate. just another possibility. clearly those games were directed by different people.
No. Its either hes a PC or not in at all. I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt in. But if he were I would faint and scream and piss myself and etc...

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman

You have to take into account that the creator of Mario and Luigi Superstar didn't have a poll saying "Which Mario Character do you want to see make an appearance?" If Geno was high ranking on that poll like he was for the Brawl poll then he probably would of been something bigger then a cameo.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I'm just saying, though. he could be an AT since he has a small role in the other game. it's pretty clear giving him a small role in anything Nintendo related doesn't sound extremely hard. doesn't sound too crazy to me. just another double-edged sword. easy to get in, but was still given a small role anyway.

you also have to consider Gray Fox.

this is just brainstorming though. not like this should be looked into seriously but if it were to happen...

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. And judging by Sakurai's poll, and Geno being up there in the statistics and all, Nintendo now knows that Geno has a big fan base still after all these years With that, I hope Nintendo takes the hint to make a direct sequel to SMRPG, almost in a cross-over fashion like Kingdom Hearts in a co operational sense.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Maybe we will find out tonight, though it seems very unlikely that a character would be released on Monday. Too predictable. It would be too easy to get your hopes up and then crushed by Sakurai's torture.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but it is the 150th Update. We got Wi-Fi for 100th Update, and we haven't gotten a character for two weeks. We also need one more newcomer to fill that last spot to make a total of 12 Newcomers.

Top Bottom