• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I just got back from work and while I was there, I thought of something regarding Paper Mario. I know the arguement is over with but I think I came up with a rather interesting point: having Mario and Paper Mario playable would be like having Megaman and Megaman X playable. People argue that the few differences between Paper Mario and Mario are significant enough but are they really? Let's compare Megaman and Megaman X:

1. They both have different character designs.
2. Megaman can slide while X can dash.
3. X can power up his special attacks while Megaman can't.
4. X can upgrade his armor, Megaman can't really (unless you count the Rush suit from Megaman 6 and 7).
5. They both have different allies.

Now let's talk about what's the same:

1. They both attack in a similar fashion including the basic buster attack.
2. They both play the same roles in their respective titles (Megaman: defeat Wily's robots, X: defeat the Mavericks)
3. They're both set in similar settings. (X's series is about 100 years after Megaman's.)
4. They both had the same creator, Dr. Thomas Light.
5. They have many obvious similarities when it comes to their character design.

When you look at it this way, would you say that there are enough differences between Megaman and Megaman X to entitle them to both be playable in the same game? If not, why are Mario and Paper Mario any different? Heck, if you really want to expand this arguement, bring Megaman EXE into the comparison too. Megaman's games are basically platformers while EXE's are similar to RPGs. Hmmm, now why does that sound familar...

Granted, I really have nothing againist Paper Mario or Bowser Jr and I'd be fine if they joined Brawl's ranks but when people uplift the qualities that they have and downplay the ones that Geno has, that's when you know that someone's attaching too much bias to their statements. Still, if I had to guess, the Mario franchise will probably have 6 reps this time around, one newcomer and one person to replace Dr. Mario. Would it really kill people if it ended up being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Geno, and Bowser Jr/Paper Mario? I'd like to hope not but from the way people talk about the matter...

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
A third party Mario representative... never knew that could or would happen.

Stage for him would be the woods (forgotten that name) with that... awesome music... memorable and the must-do in soundtrack even if he is rejected in this game. Did Koji Kondo compose that music? Anyone have a clue at all?

I am supporting Geno the little possessed puppet. :D

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Rawest Forest?

I'd rather have this

Music - Rawest Forest
Like I need to explain this... maybe in a more... rock-ish version...

Stage - Star Road
A Long flat stage similar to eldin bridge in appearance, and has 1 hazard
being Exor falling from the sky, if you get hit, it's an instant kill...

Character - Geno
Duh...

Assist - Axem Rangers
The axem rangers appear and deliver pain to all who oppose you!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatty strikes again! ^o_o^

Geno NEEDS to be playable.
I can't argue with that. Geno's already overcome too many obstacles to just get left on the cutting room floor. He's been able to beat his own obscurity, the third party barrier basically no longer exists as I pointed out, it looks like he's survived the axe when it comes to being made into an AT*, SMRPG is in high demand around the world, Square Enix and Nintendo are on very good terms compared to the N64 and Gamecube era, and he has the eye of Sakurai and the developers. Seriously, is there really any reason for him NOT to be playable especially when there's a decent chance that the Mario franchise will get more then one new rep and how all of his competion has either fell through the floor or are currently standing with weak knees?

*I theorize that in order to avoid going overboard, Sakurai has created a standard where every playable franchise has only one 3D AT and maybe a 2D one. As we all know, the Mario franchise already has the Hammer Bros and the 2D Lakitu. You also have to consider that we already have pokeball pokemon too and how they probably won't be too many more then there was in Melee, which I believe was 30. So far, there have been 18 AT's verified: the Nintendog, the Hammer Bros, Samurai Goroh, Dr. Wright, Knuckle Joe, Devil, Andross, Lyn, Mr. Resetti, the Excite Biker, the 2D Lakitu, Little Mac, Gray Fox, a Metroid, Jill Dozer, Pokey, the Advance Wars Infantry Men, and the hero from Sin and Punishment (I forgot his name). Keep in mind that we still have 7 playable franchises (DK, Wario, Kid Icarus, Sonic, Yoshi, Ice Climber, and the Legend of Zelda) that haven't had at least one AT in their name yet, how not all the playable franchises obviously haven't been announced yet, and how there are still plenty of smaller franchises that Nintendo hasn't tapped into yet. With all of that said, Geno's out of the woods in that regard.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Seriously, is there really any reason for him NOT to be playable especially when there's a decent chance that the Mario franchise will get more then one new rep and how all of his competion has either fell through the floor or are currently standing with weak knees?
No, sir, there is not.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr. can still give us a run for our money, but I think Geno would be able to pull through simply because of the immense support he has backing him.

Sakurai doesn't let stuff like that go unnoticed.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Stage for him would be the woods (forgotten that name) with that... awesome music... memorable and the must-do in soundtrack even if he is rejected in this game. Did Koji Kondo compose that music? Anyone have a clue at all?
That would be Yoko Shimomura, who also did the Kingdom Hearts and Mario & Luigi games...among quite a few others.

Mega Conrad

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr. can still give us a run for our money, but I think Geno would be able to pull through simply because of the immense support he has backing him.

And also...with Bowser Jr. you can kind of use the whole Paper Mario/Mario argument against him to some extent...even though he's not Bowser, is he really THAT much different?

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Well... there is kind of a big difference between Bowser Jr. and Bowser. Bowser Jr. has also made an appearance in Super Mario Galaxy so that means that they already have an up to date design of him to work with.

You never really know what's going to happen when Sakurai is in charge. It's possible he would want Bowser Jr. in but time restraints would only allow him to add Geno, or vice versa.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I believe that Sakurai really wanted Geno in Brawl. If not, then he would not have mentioned our hero from Star Road. If Sakurai had that much intrest in Geno, then why wouldn't he allow him to be a PC in Brawl? I hope that he appears as a PC in Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That would be Yoko Shimomura, who also did the Kingdom Hearts and Mario & Luigi games...among quite a few others.
Yep. It should also be noted that out of the 3 Nintendo games that she composed for, Geno was in two of them, Forest Maze was the only Mario theme in Sakurai's journal requested by name, and how the composers who have worked on the various Brawl themes have stayed close to the Nintendo franchises/games they originally worked on. For example, Kazumi Totaka (who has done all the music for the Yoshi and Animal Crossing games) did the Yoshi Story Ending and Go Go K.K Rider, Minako Hamano (who helped with music in Super Metroid, Metroid Fuzion and Metroid: Zero Mission) did Ridley's theme, Koji Kondo (please tell me you know him...) did the OoT Medley, and Yuka Tsujiyoko (who's pretty much done the music for Fire Emblem since the first one) did the Fire Emblem theme

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Those composers names are listed for those songs because they're the ones that composed them. The "Arrangement Supervisors" are the ones who "did" the songs in SSBB.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
interestingly enough, we haven't heard anything from Kenji Yamamoto yet, and he is the main Metroid composer. i was suprised that he wasn't a part of Ridley's Theme.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Well... there is kind of a big difference between Bowser Jr. and Bowser. Bowser Jr. has also made an appearance in Super Mario Galaxy so that means that they already have an up to date design of him to work with.

You never really know what's going to happen when Sakurai is in charge. It's possible he would want Bowser Jr. in but time restraints would only allow him to add Geno, or vice versa.
time restraints!? no, sir....there are no time restraints for Brawl. Sakurai is very obviously taking as much time as he needs to finish the game the way he wants to.

and you never know, maybe Sakurai feels that Bowser Jr. is just far too lame to be playable in Brawl. let's hope.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Those composers names are listed for those songs because they're the ones that composed them. The "Arrangement Supervisors" are the ones who "did" the songs in SSBB.
I see... The forementioned composers are still involved with Brawl though which is not the case for all of them like the person who originally did Ashley's theme, the person who did the Star Fox Armada theme, and the person who did the Pokemon Stadium/Evolution theme.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Composers theory... here?
Why not? I personally believe that the composer list gives us a good idea of what first party and second party franchises to expect. (Sakurai comes right out and mentions composers directly linked to very probable franchises like Pikmin, Animal Crossing *before Smashville was even revealed* and Golden Sun.) I've also noticed how he kept works of some composers under his hat like how Yoko Shimomura has done the music for all the non-Paper Mario RPGs, how Tomoko Sasaki helped create the music for Sonic Adventure 2, and how Yuzo Koshiro helped create the music for the original Sonic the Hedgehog. It should also be noted that all of these connect to games created by third parties so that's why he probably didn't come out and say them. A little bit of research goes a long way, believe me.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Why not? I personally believe that the composer list gives us a good idea of what first party and second party franchises to expect. (Sakurai comes right out and mentions composers directly linked to very probable franchises like Pikmin, Animal Crossing *before Smashville was even revealed* and Golden Sun.) I've also noticed how he kept works of some composers under his hat like how Yoko Shimomura has done the music for all the non-Paper Mario RPGs, how Tomoko Sasaki helped create the music for Sonic Adventure 2, and how Yuzo Koshiro helped create the music for the original Sonic the Hedgehog. It should also be noted that all of these connect to games created by third parties so that's why he probably didn't come out and say them. A little bit of research goes a long way, believe me.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I could have sworn I posted that earlier, but this puts the icing on the cake.

Sakurai seemed to try to mislead fans based on the musicians page. It's more than a mere coincidence that those musicians that usually do pieces for third party companies get a character from that third party.

LCHSGoBigRed said:
I believe that Sakurai really wanted Geno in Brawl. If not, then he would not have mentioned our hero from Star Road. If Sakurai had that much intrest in Geno, then why wouldn't he allow him to be a PC in Brawl? I hope that he appears as a PC in Brawl.
I really doubt that with the effort he has to put into the game to get rights for Geno to make it in Brawl that he be just an Assist Trophy. Most defintely a playable character.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.

And the interest Sakurai himself has in Geno, which has yet to be shared by Bowser Jr.

Still, it's very likely both will make it.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
how you geno fanatics react if monday the update is geno as an AT?
It's called grammer, and please use it occasionally. Thank you.

As for Geno getting in as an AT...I hightly doubt that at all. I see it more like this; either Geno gets in as a PC, or doesn't get in at all. Think about it, if Sakurai is gonna invest time and money into getting Geno into Brawl, I highly doubt it will be just for the purpose of an AT.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
So far only characters with up to 3 votes have been AT'ified... Geno had 4/5...
I highly doubt Sakurai would make Geno an AT but if he did, I guess I'd
just sit back and take it LIKE A MANLY MAN! Sure it'd suck... but meh

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Yeah... by that theory Sora would be in brawl.
um...no. you missed the point here. the composer who did the music for Kingdom Hearts, Yoko Shimomura, is the composer who did the music for SMRPG. Fatmanonice is saying that Sakurai credited her to KH to lead you in the wrong direction, when in actuality she would be doing songs from SMRPG.

Top Bottom