• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's growing popular. He's starting to shine, having canon appearances in major video games and he's continuing to do so. Brawl could be a huge step up for Jr. and with the hint towards Mario Sunshine his chances have grown. I'd love to see Jr. in a fighting game.
So people want him...because he's popular?

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Because Bowser Jr. is awesome. I am deeply upset with some people in here who are arguing against Bowser Jr. and know almost nothing about him. they know who they are.

by all means do I like Geno over Bowser Jr. but come on, let's not be so bias as to come up with faulty reasoning about other characters. yes this is a Geno thread but that doesn't mean we have to make every other Mario character look like they have no chance or look like they're bad just because we say so.

personally, I'd love Bowser Jr. to get in. he's a whiny little brat and I like the thought of having a "quick Bowser" in. Shadow Mario is also very awesome and I can see him getting a different moveset involving the paintbrush as a weapon of some sort. I actually enjoyed looking at him in Sunshine.

either way, Bowser Jr.'s been in just as many Mario party games as Diddy has and has been apart of most of the newer platforming Mario games now. he may not be requested (which is the only thing going against him because if he was, I swear he would have been confirmed by now), but there's a pretty good chance Sakurai's going to add him anyhow.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because Bowser Jr. is awesome. I am deeply upset with some people in here who are arguing against Bowser Jr. and know almost nothing about him. they know who they are.

by all means do I like Geno over Bowser Jr. but come on, let's not be so bias as to come up with faulty reasoning about other characters. yes this is a Geno thread but that doesn't mean we have to make every other Mario character look like they have no chance or look like they're bad just because we say so.

personally, I'd love Bowser Jr. to get in. he's a whiny little brat and I like the thought of having a "quick Bowser" in. Shadow Mario is also very awesome and I can see him getting a different moveset involving the paintbrush as a weapon of some sort. I actually enjoyed looking at him in Sunshine.

either way, Bowser Jr.'s been in just as many Mario party games as Diddy has and has been apart of most of the newer platforming Mario games now. he may not be requested (which is the only thing going against him because if he was, I swear he would have been confirmed by now), but there's a pretty good chance Sakurai's going to add him anyhow.

I want to know why people like Bowser Jr other than he is popular and reoccurring...

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys look, suddenly 15 people want Master Chief in brawl, some
of those people have 4000 posts and are therefore popular, lets follow
in there footsteps and hop on the ****ing bandwagon...

By your logic, every character that has a fanbase should be in brawl -_-

@ Enigma: I don't want Geno because he's popular, I want him in
because he's my favourite character in my 2nd favourite game...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master

This and the fact that he would make the perfect fit in Brawl, in our minds

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Same reason with us Geno fans but I dont like Jr.
I don't support Geno because he's popular...When I first supported Geno, he didn't have many fans and I assumed he was just a long shot character

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr. is a koopaling rep. that's why. not to mention he's probably my first choice in many of the Mario party/sports titles. favorite in Double Dash as well.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I don't support Geno because he's popular...When I first supported Geno, he didn't have many fans and I assumed he was just a long shot character
yeah I liked Geno because he was different, I thought he was an underdog so to say, but I like the fact that he's been in one game. It makes it special

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I'm just saying that I like the thought of him being a quick version of Bowser. as much as I enjoy using him in side titles, why can't I enjoy using him in a fighting game if he has the potential? he's not just a Waluigi or Daisy as they don't even come close to appearing in ANY major Mario game.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hey guys look, suddenly 15 people want Master Chief in brawl, some
of those people have 4000 posts and are therefore popular, lets follow
in there footsteps and hop on the ****ing bandwagon...

By your logic, every character that has a fanbase should be in brawl -_-

@ Enigma: I don't want Geno because he's popular, I want him in
because he's my favourite character in my 2nd favourite game...
I love Geno as well I dont do it cause hes popular I do it cause hes a part of my past that helped me to love gaming.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm just saying that I like the thought of him being a quick version of Bowser. as much as I enjoy using him in side titles, why can't I enjoy using him in a fighting game if he has the potential? he's not just a Waluigi or Daisy as they don't even come close to appearing in ANY major Mario game.
Daisy was in the game, in which sequel spawned the Wario franchise

Enigma14

Smash Champion
There's already a Jr. thread IIRC made by gimpyfish. This is the Geno thread lets just try to stay on topic now.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Enigma, is there ne thing that can be done for the Geno site?
Well it depends on which one you're talking about

Because Genosall and Looooni both made 1. You're goint to have to contact one of them for that but both haven't been online in a while, well Sall cause his laptop crashed.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I know this is a Geno thread but still. we have to be at least respectful to other characters to some degree in which we don't flame them for no/stupid reasons.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I know this is a Geno thread but still. we have to be at least respectful to other characters to some degree in which we don't flame them for no/stupid reasons.
Thats your opinion before today the only character i ever bashed is Waluigi. Also if it were fair like what you said there would be no haters.

However since there needs to be some maturity...

Anyways Tbone its good you want to help on the site, but you have to contact one of the 2 members.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I can understand flaming someone who just comes in and gives stupid reasons why Geno won't be in or gives off a stupid reasing for hating him and they're just trolling.

but we have to put the people who actually make logical reasonings about Geno higher than them. I'm sure if we had logical reasoning for why <x> can't get in, we wouldn't want to be flamed just because of something we thought using the left side of our brain.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I can understand flaming someone who just comes in and gives stupid reasons why Geno won't be in or gives off a stupid reasing for hating him and they're just trolling.

but we have to put the people who actually make logical reasonings about Geno higher than them. I'm sure if we had logical reasoning for why <x> can't get in, we wouldn't want to be flamed just because of something we thought using the left side of our brain.
Fine. Yes Sir. I will only argue when I know what Im talking about.

But i just want to know something, how can Shadow Mario be different from Mario?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Melee poll was much more simplistic then the Brawl poll. For the Melee poll, all you did was write the character's name.

I guess moar text=moar passion.

Uh, considering how most of entries that asked for characters simply just stated the characters' and brief explanations of them, yes. In other words, most of the suggestions were like "I want ____" "Have you ever heard of ____, he/she/it is from ____." There are two other examples of passionate fans I can think of like the guy that told Sakurai that he'd go into a rage if King Dedede make it and the guy who went on and on about how beautiful Krystal was.

Who plenty of other people voted for. What? Are you trying to tell me that Geno stole votes from the likes of King Dedede, Ridley, Krystal, and Diddy Kong? That's kind of petty...

The fact Geno did steal votes from the likes of Dedede, Ridley, Krystal and Kong certainly is very petty. Goomba did the same thing. I believe Mallow did as well. Heck any character that popped up on the poll stole a vote from one of the big dogs.

And? I'm glad your overall view of Nintendo is so shallow to where you believe the only people that should get into Brawl are the people who ended up with a ton of votes. Oh, don't worry about it though, I'm sure characters like Waluigi and Naruto would make excellent additions... (I'm assuming that's why Sakurai explained in his journal that the game wouldn't have manga or anime characters because they were probably flooded with those kinds of suggestions.)

And yet for 8 of the 10 franchise categories in the final Melee poll results, Sakurai included the most popular character in the game... He makes his own decisions but it's more then obvious that he's definately looking out for the fans.

How would he be looking out for the fans if he chose a relatively obscure character like Geno to be in Brawl? Mind you, those suggestions do not represent the actual poll results.

Once again, the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch say "Hi." Still, you assume too much and act like Sakurai's only going to add the characters that everyone's heard about. If that were Lucas wouldn't be in because the game hasn't hit North America yet, Pit definately wouldn't be since his last game was 1991 on the GB (and it was only released in North America), and Ike wouldn't be because Fire Emblem is no where as popular as the like of Pokemon or Mario. So, by going by your logic, Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario are the only franchises that really deserve reps and those reps can only be characters "everyone's" familar with. :dizzy:

... Paper Mario wasn't even mentioned in Sakurai's Journal... want to see what Mario characters were though?

[Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)
Petey Piranha (Super Mario Sunshine - 2002)
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars- 1996)

Hey! Look at this! Besides Geno and Mallow, all the others have made it in some form and they were only mentioned once apiece. Should I bring up again how Geno was mentioned five times? Nah, I'll spare you this time...

Should I mention how Toad already made an appearance in melee? Koopa Troopas lined the mushroom kingdom segement in adventure mode and are the enemies that would make most sense in mushroom kingdom. Hammer Bros. weren't allowed in pokeballs, so it would make sense to add them in with the new AT item. Petey was a boss in 4 major games console and handheld, made an apperance in Double Dash, was in a multitude of sports games, and looks to be a boss in Mario Galaxy as well. How is he a surprise? I'd be more shocked if he didn't pop up.

Why is it a shock? Because Petey became a boss and the Hammer Bros became an AT and, according to you, there is no evidence that Sakurai's Journal shows what characters he was interested in adding. Maybe I should bring up this entry:

# Entry 166 Golden Sun characters (didn't specify) and/or Advance Wars infantrymen.

The Advance Wars infantrymen? That seems kind of random doesn't it? There's no way they could ever make it into the... oh, wait... but they did as an AT.

If you're going to pull the "Oh, but Sonic wasn't either" card, Sakurai did mention him in an interview in September of 2006.

Characters Sakurai has mentioned in interviews:

1. Lip (Panel de Pon)
2. Lolo (Adventures of Lolo/ Kirby franchise)
3. Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
4. the Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
5. Sonic
6. Little Mac (Punch Out franchise)
7. Lucas (Mother 3)
8. Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu)

You're forgetting one thing, Sonic was still the most demanded character for Brawl, an edge Geno didn't have in this character race.

You're like a broken record... Yes, popularity plays a role but it doesn't outshadow overall significance, uniquess, and what Sakurai is interested in. I've already specified why Geno was important to his respective game and how SMRPG was important to the Mario franchise. In terms of significance, he's pretty much the same as Shiek (one game, basically drives the plot of the game, is more connected to the plot then even the hero is) except Geno was actually playable. And if you're going to argue that Shiek=Zelda you have to be aware that they represent two different personna despite being the same person.

Also, Paper Mario is just that, Mario in Paper form. Googaflaf! How exciting! Paperfy everything that's in the other Mario games and you have the Paper Mario franchise. The Mushroom Kingdom vs the Paper Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser vs Paper Bowser. Peach vs Paper Peach. Do you see what I'm getting at? You could argue that some of the locales and characters are different but, heck, the locales and characters chance from Mario game to Mario game so that arguements moot.

Well you're half right, but if you had bothered to play the Paper Mario games, you'd know Paper Mario's scope of abilities extends a little farther than Mario's do and Paper Mario's world is just a tad different from Mario's world from the items they use to the way they fight.

Actually, I've played all three games... My, your ability to constantly assume things is amazing. You should run for Congress... Anyways, yes, yes, we know Paper Mario can turn into an airplane, sailboat, and roll up into a tube but does that change that he's still Mario? Just a tad different? Yeah because it's a mix of 3D and 2D and the art style is different. You might as well be comparing SMB with SM64... The items they use? Many of them actually came from SMRPG like the honey syrup and the items change from game to game for most Mario titles so that arguement's moot. The way they fight? One partner instead of two and some different abilities but, and I'm getting REALLY sick of saying this, things change from game to game. Also, if you want to stress how unique the one partner thing is, the Mario and Luigi's did a lot better with it especially with the Bros attacks.

In Superstar and Partners in Time, a lot of Mario's techniques center around teamwork with Luigi. Paper Mario has a multitude of badges Which actually first appeared in SMRPG and star power abilities *pinches eyebrows together* Which I'm so sure he could use all of them in his basic repetoire of attacks in Brawl...that make him a stand-alone RPG Mario unlike Mario from the non-paper handheld RPG games. If you want to bring up Mario from the original SMRPG game, then hes not too far off from his current self in Brawl barring the hyperexaggerated jumping abilities and fireball techniques which means hes still worlds away from being different from Paper Mario.

You basically just admitted that there really aren't that many true differences between Mario and Paper Mario and that the Mario of the RPGs is already represented... :laugh:

Here's an even better question, why does the same person need to represent the same franchise twice? Spare me with how Paper Mario is radically different because he can roll up into a tube and has a hammer (which first came from SMRPG, by the way and so did many other concepts that appear in all the other Mario RPGs). At least when it comes to Link and Young Link, Young Link now is the main icon of all the handheld Zelda games, has a very different repitoire of items like the mole claws and deku leaf, and occupies different times/settings in the Zelda franchise and isn't just Link in another form. So you say Paper Mario should represent the Mario RPGs. Let's see... There are basically two true Paper Mario RPGs and there is SMRPG and both the Mario and Luigi games. Geno appeared in SMRPG and Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga. With that being said, he's appeared in 2 of the 3 Mario RPG series. So what do we have here? Geno actually incompasses more of Mario's RPGs then Paper Mario does. Ain't that a shocker...

The pinnacle of ignorance has to be when someone confuses Young Link with WW Link. First off the two aren't even in the same Zelda storyline.

Except for the fact that there really wasn't an Adult Link until OoT so who's the ignorant one now?

Young Link is essentially Link in another form. He showed up in OOT and then got his own game in Majora's Mask. WW Link is a completely different monster altogether that got 2 of his own games.

Four actually: both Four Swords games, the Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass. Like I said, cell shaded Young Link has basically taken the personna of the original Young Link and become the main Link of the handheld titles.

I also do not agree with how you haphazardly lump Young Link into the WW universe whilst separating Paper Mario from the Mario RPG universe.

Haphazardly? Uh, WW proves that the cell shaded Young Link is different from the Adult Link from OoT because the hero of OoT is the Hero of Time and a living legend in CSYL's era. Paper Mario, on the other hand, is not a different person from regular Mario because they occupy the same setting except that its in Paper form.

Paper Mario was originally supposed to be called Mario RPG 2. Issues with Square caused the title to become Paper Mario. If the developers fail to see what separates Paper Mario from the Mario RPG series then what on Earth are you doing saying that sort of stuff?

Is there any proof that there is a direct correlation between SMRPG and Paper Mario storywise and how SMRPG somehow led to Paper Mario? No but there is definately one between Ocarina of Time and the Wind Waker.

In essence, we already have the main character of the Mario RPGs represented, Mario himself, so why in God's name do we need him AGAIN in paper form? It basically becomes an arguement between having a unique character added to the roster or a simple rehash of one that's already made it. Also, I'm sure all the people who grinded their teeth when Dr. Mario hit the stage would looooooooooove to see Paper Mario in action...

Yes, I'm sure those same people would have never fathomed the possibility that Dr. Mario would be one of several clone characters.

In Brawl? There's a decent amount of evidence that shows that Dr. Mario's move effects like power, directional influence, etc have been integrated into Mario's.

It doesn't help when your moveset mirriors normal Mario. Thats something I can't say Paper Mario will end up doing.

Did I not mention Paper Mario's abilities? You're still dancing around the issue at how Paper Mario is still Mario of the other RPGs and thus already represented.

Well, hope that answers some of your concerns.
Right back at ya.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
nooo. that's not what I'm saying. it doesn't take knowledge to not flame someone who uses decent/logical reasoning and then flame someone who flames Geno just to do it and WON'T listen to reason.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
nooo. that's not what I'm saying. it doesn't take knowledge to not flame someone who uses decent/logical reasoning and then flame someone who flames Geno just to do it and WON'T listen to reason.
Im not being sarcastic or anything I mean it, Ill not post the next time an arguemnt comes up and I know nothing about the character/topic.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
But i just want to know something, how can Shadow Mario be different from Mario?
Simple. Whether you like it or not, appearance doesn't always mean they are the same as someone else and 1 thing, even if it does happen to be a paintbrush, makes a big difference on what the character is. It's like asking how is Sonic different from Shadow, or how Mario is different from Luigi. Different colors, different moves and special abilities, 2 different people.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm reposting this because Krystal ever so conveinently overlooked it:

Originally Posted by ~Krystal~

By the way. 290 people is a very small sample size. You normally want to have a poll go to at least 5,000 before it approaches anything resembling credibility and that wasn't an actual poll anyway. Know why? The voters had no control over whos suggestions were posted and whos were not. In actual polls, every last voter is accounted for and not just a few. If you are going to actually consider Sakurai's list of mentions a poll, then its a very skewed one.

You think the offical Brawl poll only had 290 entries into it? The Brawl poll was open to THE WORLD (despite it being in Japanese; hey, I voted for Geno and Megaman so...) and probably had close to 10 thousand submissions. I'm guessing you missed out on the Brawl poll when it was going on because Sakurai posted the ten entries that he and his staff found the most interesting at the end of each day for 29 days. If we were to split 10,000 into 30, we would get about 333 entries a day and Sakurai and his staff only chose 10 each day to showcase on Toukeden on the offical Dojo site. Step back for a moment and think about that... 10 out of 333... That's pretty significant isn't it? Now out of those 10,000, Sakurai choose 5 of those that involved Geno. 5/10,000 is about .00005%. Starting to see the big picture now? Keep in mind that he had more mentions then heavy hitters like Krystal, Ridley, Diddy Kong, Megaman, Ike, etc and tied with King Dedede, one of Sakurai's own creations. Now, with Geno being as miseribly unpopular as you say he is, what are the chances that he would have appeared in 5 of 290 entries out of 10,000 entries in a poll that had more then 200 characters suggested in it unless Sakurai had a true interest in the character? I rest my case...

TBone06

Smash Ace
FatManOnIce is the Jesus of Geno fans o_o
Fatmanonice was the god of the Nintendo Forums, I remember when I first learned about Brawl, and started going on my forums I read about the Geno thread on Nintendo, and it made me remember about Geno and Super Mario RPG. Geno has to make it into the brawl

TBone06

Smash Ace
wow is it just me or is this one of the most popular character thread, and one of the fastest growing threads?

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
Its grown by like 100 pages in a couple days. I was busy with work and school so I didnt report as much but yeah its gotten quite big. Im actually very impressed.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Alright. I have got a quick question for everyone. If Geno is accepted into Brawl, then do you believe that this could help other Square-Enix characters enter into the game? I know that Geno isn't technically third party, but do you believe that this would help others?

Basically, I am wanting to know whether or not Crono could benefit from this. I would really like to see the Chrono Trigger character enter into the Brawl. Especially, if Geno and Crono are both into the game.

Top Bottom