• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Okay, here's why I'm unsure of Geno's chances for Brawl:
First off, we know that one of the "rules" for third party character additions is that the third party must approach Nintendo to get their character in, not the other way around. Nintendo didn't approach SEGA about Sonic (like it or not the most requested third party character), so they won't approach Square about Geno. Since Geno is a third party character owned by Square, this means (obviously) that Square must contact Nintendo about getting him in Brawl.

And that's where I see Geno's chances come up short. Square is just not friendly to their older character creations. Just look at their record: not only has square never re-used any of the classic Chrono Trigger characters, they've prevented several remakes of the game. Squares chief franchise (Final Fantasy) is a series where characters never repeat. They still haven't remade FF7, despite a large group of irrational fans who've demanded it. The ONLY major Square character to ever truly get a sequel is Sora of Kingdom Hearts fame. Everyone else gets a cameo appearance if they're LUCKY. Bottom line, Square creates characters, secures their rights, and then never does anything else with them. It's just what Square does.

And here we're expecting Square to approach Nintendo, a company they are NOT particularly friendly with, to pitch the idea of GENO, a relatively obscure character who would do more to promote Nintendo than Square if he gets in? That falls just short of madness.

Now, I know Geno has a large cult following, and that's his biggest strength. But even considering this, it still seems unlikely to me that Square would choose to dig up this older character. It seems more likely that Sora would be Square's choice, considering he's not only popular but also one of the rare Square characters that Square seems to care about. I'm not advocating Sora here, I'm just trying to think the way Square would.
And why would Square give the rights of Geno to Nintendo? Just because Squares not useing him? That seems kinda iffy. I mean, Nintendo held on to Pit for TWENTY YEARS before bringing him back for Brawl. It seems like Square wouldn't give up any of their characters for similar reasons.
Sorry, but I just can't see Geno happening. It's not that I don't like that character, it's just that I don't have enough faith in Square to see it happening.
You have just improved my argument by bringing up points I have forgotten. There was NEVER a time when they said that the company that the 3rd party character is from has to contact Nintendo, IN FACT, Nintendo HAS contacted Sega about Sonic (unconfirmed but they are talking which is confirmed).

My thoughts were that Nintendo would want to buy the rights to SMRPG themselves. Though Square never makes remakes, guess what game is confirmed for the VC? SMRPG.

Finally, Pit in Brawl was Sakurai's doing which means that Geno in Brawl can be his doing likewise. The fact that Pit is back in Brawl means that we may see new Kid Icarus games in the near future which profits Nintendo. Bringing Geno back can do the same with the SMRPG franchise.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Also, Nintendo made sure that they had the rights to Waluigi and Diddy beforehand by telling the companies that all original material will be copyright of Nintendo so they have always owned Waluigi..
Actually, Nintendo didn't make sure they had the rights to Diddy beforehand. I remember reading during the break-up from several publications that they actually almost had to go to court with Rare over even the Donkey Kong characters who weren't named Donkey Kong (however, they settled out of court with Nintendo getting all of them, of course)

As I've stated, it was only after that incident that Nintendo started making sure they owned the characters (which is likely why they held onto Waluigi and Golden Sun and whatever else beforehand, so that incident would never happen again).

El HP

Smash Ace
We have seen third party's like Namco using link in soulcalibur II, pac-man appearing in mario kart grand prix, developing Star Fox Assault. Capcom developing some zelda games and Sega who developed F-Zero GX even EA using Mario, Luigi, Peach and Little Mac in their sports games making easier for Nintendo to use any of their characters some of the most recognized in videogaming lowering Geno chances even more.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
You have just improved my argument by bringing up points I have forgotten. There was NEVER a time when they said that the company that the 3rd party character is from has to contact Nintendo, IN FACT, Nintendo HAS contacted Sega about Sonic (unconfirmed but they are talking which is confirmed).

My thoughts were that Nintendo would want to buy the rights to SMRPG themselves. Though Square never makes remakes, guess what game is confirmed for the VC? SMRPG.

Finally, Pit in Brawl was Sakurai's doing which means that Geno in Brawl can be his doing likewise. The fact that Pit is back in Brawl means that we may see new Kid Icarus games in the near future which profits Nintendo. Bringing Geno back can do the same with the SMRPG franchise.
When asked about Sonic being in Brawl, Sakurai (or maybe this was Miyamoto, I forget who exactly) responded that they knew that Sonic was the most requested third Party character for Brawl, but that SEGA hadn't contacted them about it, so nothing had been done. Since that time, SEGA and Nintendo have gotten together, as you said, but it was SEGA, not Nintendo, who had to make the first move.

And the problem with your argument is that you're assuming Nintendo cares about SMRPG as anything other than a single popular game. Nintendo has already made TWO Mario RPG series of their own, the Mario and Luigi series for the GBA and recently the DS, and the Paper Mario series for the consols. And the thing is, Nintendo doesn't have to buy the rights for these series, they already own them.
So why would Nintendo buy SMRPG, since they already have two Mario RPG franchises of their own to use? Just because it'll be on the virtual consol? Gunstar Heroes is on the virtual consol, and Nintendo doesn't want the rights to that. Just because Mario makes an appearance is not reason enough to purchase a series.

And yes, Pit in Brawl was Sakurai's doing. But the difference is that Sakurai had access to all the Nintendo characters (and thus Pit), whereas he DOES NOT have access to third party characters. He can't do the same thing he did with Snake, since he isn't friends with the creator of Geno. And I doubt Sakurai would want to take time away from development so he can haggle over character rights with Square for Geno.

T-major

Smash Champion
Squares chief franchise (Final Fantasy) is a series where characters never repeat. They still haven't remade FF7, despite a large group of irrational fans who've demanded it. The ONLY major Square character to ever truly get a sequel is Sora of Kingdom Hearts fame. Everyone else gets a cameo appearance if they're LUCKY. Bottom line, Square creates characters, secures their rights, and then never does anything else with them. It's just what Square does.

Square enix games that have had sequels, or games using past characters:
Final fantasy X - Final fantasy X-2
Final fantasy 7 - Final fantasy 7: Derge of Cerberus (also had a movie [advent childern], but I don't know if that counts)
Kingdom Hearts - Kingdom hearts 2
theres probably more, but this is all I know of.

Final Fantasy game remakes:
final fantasy III
final fantasy IV
final fantasy V
final fantasy VI
and many, many more

bottom line is, Square does reuse characters. the only reason they don't use Geno is because he was a character present only in the Mario universe (the Mushroom Kingdom), and it would make no sense if Square put Geno in one of there games that isn't related to Mario in any way.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
the only reason they don't use Geno is because he was a character present only in the Mario universe (the Mushroom Kingdom), and it would make no sense if Square put Geno in one of there games that isn't related to Mario in any way.
Square didn't have Geno in their Mario Hoops game that they made or their Itagaki Street (the Mario Party-ish game with both Square and Mario characters) that they made, either. Hell, they didn't have ANY Super Mario RPG references at ALL in either of those games. Which goes to show how much of a crap Square gives about that game (and thus how much having Geno in Brawl would 'mend' their relationship with Nintendo).

T-major

Smash Champion
Square didn't have Geno in their Mario Hoops game that they made or their Itagaki Street (the Mario Party-ish game with both Square and Mario characters) that they made, either. Hell, they didn't have ANY Super Mario RPG references at ALL in either of those games. Which goes to show how much of a crap Square gives about that game (and thus how much having Geno in Brawl would 'mend' their relationship with Nintendo).
thats because they wanted to represent their other games. Geno's pretty much labled as a Mario character, so using him to represent Square is silly.

also, that post made you sound like a complete dingus.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
thats because they wanted to represent their other games.
Your source? Because Square wouldn't mind using a character labelled as a Mario character in a game called MARIO Hoops, or a game that already has other Mario characters in it like Itagaki Street if they actually gave a **** about that character. It wasn't like Final Fantasy characters were the only secret characters in Mario Hoops. Several Mario characters were hidden in that game, too (none of whom were Geno or anyone else SMRPG related)

Geno's pretty much labled as a Mario character, so using him to represent Square is silly.
Which is precisely why Geno will never get into Brawl as a Squaresoft representative.

also, that post made you sound like a complete dingus.
No, it only sounds like a complete dingus to irrational fanboys who won't listen to reason.

GenG

Smash Lord
Which is precisely why Geno will never get into Brawl as a Squaresoft representative.
Is a fact that Geno isn't the perfect Squaresoft representative, because Geno isn't a logo character like Mario or Sonic. It isn't even a character bound to Squaresoft.

And I know what you will say now is that Squaresoft will push its own representative characters, like Moggle or Cactuar (there isn't any non-mascot character in Square to compare with Geno in popularity, other than FF from VII to XII).

And Sakurai will most likely ask for characters that people requested. Slimes or Moggles won't sell a game, they aren't that powerful as mascots. But Geno will likely do in a Nintendo friendly game.

All Geno debates come to this point sooner or later. Everything is about Squaresoft lending the character to Sakurai or not.

T-major

Smash Champion
No, it only sounds like a complete dingus to irrational fanboys who won't listen to reason.
who's a fanboy? listen, I havn't even gotten far enough in SMRPG to meet Geno. hell, I don't even really like the game that much so far. I support Geno because he would have cool moves, because thats all I know about him. I'm not even close to being a "fan boy", I just not a dingus like you.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Did I post here, yet?

If not, allow me to state my opinion.

Geno would be an awesome addition, seeing as he's a Mario character, so if he somehow did get in...

You know, they said they only have room for 1-2 more 3rd party characters in Brawl.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Did I post here, yet?

If not, allow me to state my opinion.

Geno would be an awesome addition, seeing as he's a Mario character, so if he somehow did get in...

You know, they said they only have room for 1-2 more 3rd party characters in Brawl.
Yes he belongs to square, but either:

1) Sakurai manages to get full rites of geno, thus he would become nintendo property
or
2) sakurai will, knowing geno is from the mario universe, allow 4 3rd party characters, seeing how geno shouldnt be considered and thus not tak eone of the 2 remaining 3rd party spots...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yes he belongs to square, but either:

1) Sakurai manages to get full rites of geno, thus he would become nintendo property
or
2) sakurai will, knowing geno is from the mario universe, allow 4 4rd party characters, seeing how geno shouldnt be considered and thus not tak eone of the 2 remaining 3rd party spots...
Those are interesting ways of looking at it.

I hope the first one comes true!

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Heres an idead for a move since the charecters are supposed to play like their games
Side B
Geno shoots off one of his fist it flys out damaging anyone it pierces through but doesnts stop or slow. As it returns to Geno, stricking Side B at the excat timing will cause Geno to slam his other fist into the returning one creating a big boom, causes like 25 damage, this would be great to see as a finisher in a combo.

Stryks

Smash Hero
dude the guy was playable in smrpg, is INCREDIBLY popular even with 2 appearances, and has a good chance, thats is if everything goes well...

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Geno is definintly going to be in it. He is super popular, and his moveset would be sweet, i made one on my previous account very early in this thread. He also looks bad ***. He's gonna be in it or bad things will happen...REALLY bad things.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Heh heh, I knew you would Stryks!:laugh:

Okay, okay, I need to play catch up. What games did Geno make cameo appearances in? I'm missed that part.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Plenty others made it into mellee with minimal aprences or just really werent better than Geno and other fine choices. Like ICs, Doc, Pichu. hell, Roy never made it to the West Coast

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
How could anyone say no to Geno?!?

he's so awesome, it's ok haters, you will understand if he's in when brawl comes out. you will understand.

I was Geno for halloween once

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have some potentially exciting news. Square and Nintendo have teamed up once again.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/itastds/

It's called "Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest x Super Mario Bros." Its a Crossover game for Mario Brothers and (of all things) Dragon Quest. Itadaki Street is one of those ubiquitous games that have never made an appearance in the USA. It's a Board game similar to Monopoly, and has been the stage of a crossover game several times (Including Final Fantasy x Dragonquest).

While the game sounds like an unholy union of Mr. Pennybags and Mario Party, this seems to suggest that Nintendo is getting increasingly buddy-buddy with Square-enix, which bodes well for Geno or Mallow in Smash Bros.

Heres the wiki for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street_DS
And heres the wiki for IS in general:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I personally dont like geno, his character design is horrible and so is the premise behind him.
I agree with the comment above, butreality is Geno has more than decent chances of being in brawl :mad: oh well if he is he'll be my official punching bag

Kirye

Smash Ace
How is his character design horrible? Geno was the best looking guy in SMRPG!

As to all the Geno haters, why hate on him? NA I can understand considering he has the intellect of a dead squirrel, but come on. Besides being completely original, having enough skills and tricks from a SINGLE game to suit his needs in Brawl and then some, what can you hate about him? Because he looks like a doll? Does that mean you want Ness out too? He doesn't look very sensatiable.

All in all, Geno would be an awesome addition to Brawl.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I have some potentially exciting news. Square and Nintendo have teamed up once again.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/itastds/

It's called "Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest x Super Mario Bros." Its a Crossover game for Mario Brothers and (of all things) Dragon Quest. Itadaki Street is one of those ubiquitous games that have never made an appearance in the USA. It's a Board game similar to Monopoly, and has been the stage of a crossover game several times (Including Final Fantasy x Dragonquest).

While the game sounds like an unholy union of Mr. Pennybags and Mario Party, this seems to suggest that Nintendo is getting increasingly buddy-buddy with Square-enix, which bodes well for Geno or Mallow in Smash Bros.

Heres the wiki for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street_DS
And heres the wiki for IS in general:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street
I don't think this proves anything, but still...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
And yet another well explained post from brawlmatt...
...You know what? I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

Also:
**** you.

Right, so Geno, again, I'm at a loss for a decent moveset. I did create one moveset for him, but it sucked.

El HP

Smash Ace
Geno doesn't even appear in Mario Hoops a game developed by square and the same case applies to Itadaki Street face it geno it's dead a cameo won't make him appear in brawl.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Geno doesn't even appear in Mario Hoops a game developed by square and the same case applies to Itadaki Street face it geno it's dead a cameo won't make him appear in brawl.
Oh yeah, Mario Hoops! I was so expecting Geno to appearin in that game! But I suppose Black Mage makes up for it, at least for me.

Actually, some people I know think that having FF characters, and even Geno, be in that game would demean them.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Geno is far from dead, yes even I was expecting him in mario hoops, yet he didnt appear, still that doesnt mean anything, since geno is from the mario universe, using him in other games would not work, thus he has not appeared in a long time, but if sakurai/nintendo can convince square and thus geno would become nintendo property, I would bet we will c much more of geno, and not just in brawl...

El HP

Smash Ace
Geno is far from dead, yes even I was expecting him in mario hoops, yet he didnt appear, still that doesnt mean anything, since geno is from the mario universe, using him in other games would not work, thus he has not appeared in a long time, but if sakurai/nintendo can convince square and thus geno would become nintendo property, I would bet we will c much more of geno, and not just in brawl...
If square or nintendo were interested in Geno he could have easily appeared as a representative of square or mario universe so there's no excuse.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Nintendo cant use geno cause hes 3rd party, and square wont use him cause hes from the mairo universe, I hardly believe we'll one day c cloud vs geno...

The fact is, knowing nintendo now how popular geno is, they may try to obtain ful lrites to geno...

Top Bottom