• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can, in the least draw...

But right now I am in the middle of an art "Fight Club" thing...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The Toukeden or, what I call it, Sakurai's journal featured the 290 entries into the offical Brawl poll that interested/amused Sakurai and his staff the most. Even if Geno did poorly, the fact that Sakurai posted more entries mentioning him then any other character except King Dedede speaks volumes about his overall interest in him. Also, the poll was done when the game was only 7 months in development and considering how it's now been 25, I consider that "the early stages of the development process."

Also, how do you know he did poorly? Nintendo has yet to release the results of the offical Brawl poll. I believe you are talking about the offical Melee poll results where he was suggested 5 times overall. Does this look familar by any chance?

The 2001 Offical Melee poll results:

Mario Bros Category:
1. Bowser (169)
2. Peach (66)
3. Wario (65)
4. Toad (27)
5. Koopa Troopa (9)
6. Kamek (8)
7. Goomba (7)
8. Mallow (5)
9. Geno (5)
10. Baby Mario (3)
This is the overall batch & not one including just Mario Bros. characters. (In which case, Geno still got beat out by a Goomba)

(1) Koopa [Super Mario series]: 169 (Bowser)
(2) Princess Peach [Super Mario series]: 66
(3) Wario [Super Mario series]: 65
(4) Great King Dedede [Kirby of the Stars series]: 46
(5) Ganon(dorf) [Legend of Zelda]: 36
(6) James Bond [GoldenEye 007]: 35
(6) Mewtwo [Pocket Monsters]: 35
(8) Banjo & Kazooie [Banjo & Kazooie's Big Adventure]: 33 ([Banjo-Kazooie])
(9) Kinopio [Super Mario series]: 27 (Toad)
(10) Mew [Pocket Monsters]: 24

The full poll results. Geno doesn't crack the top ten. I wouldn't try looking at the bottom half either. He doesn't crack top 20.

This is why Geno did poorly in the melee polls. As for the Brawl polls, I'll say he did poorly there as well. 6 years difference between the melee polls and the brawl polls you say? Thats not a good sign. If people never appreciated Geno back when the first SMRPG was still somewhere in people's heads, then what makes you think they will give a **** several RPG's later, with only one of those featuring Geno as a cameo? The writings on the wall. Whether or not you choose to look at it is up to you.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is the overall batch & not one including just Mario Bros. characters. (In which case, Geno still got beat out by a Goomba)

The full poll results. Geno doesn't crack the top ten. I wouldn't try looking at the bottom half either. He doesn't crack top 20.

This is why Geno did poorly in the melee polls. As for the Brawl polls, I'll say he did poorly there as well. 6 years difference between the melee polls and the brawl polls you say? Thats not a good sign. If people never appreciated Geno back when the first SMRPG was still somewhere in people's heads, then what makes you think they will give a **** several RPG's later, with only one of those featuring Geno as a cameo? The writings on the wall. Whether or not you choose to look at it is up to you.
Geno did poorly on the polls because Bowser deserved it more...

Hell, I would have voted for Bowser back then, except instead I voted for Bomberman...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are those entries (replies about characters) saved anywhere? I'd like to know what he said about ridley/geno/captain olimar/banjo kazooie (if they were mentioned)
That's the thing, Sakurai didn't say anything about any characters except Toad (when he was actually making fun of the person who suggested him) and Megaman (when he responded to the person who suggested him by explaining what the "rules" of third party characters would be.) The mentions were done by various people who submitted entries into the offical Brawl poll that was held from the first week of May 06 to the second week of June 06.

I only saved the entries that mentioned Geno and I'll post them again for your benefit and briefly summarize what they say. (These were translated using babelfish so you can read them in their original context)

No.14 Nickname & HiGe The reflection contribution theme * concerning the character Most first the hammer っ it is with マリオシリーズ the thing. In case by your, that was スーパーマリオ RPG. Seeing CM, very borrowing to the friend of that time with interest...... certain, you have forgotten to return it seems the way that way...... Well it sets aside trivial thing, by your very you like that game. Even among them, the doll and the Gee no where game original character soul resides. In juvenile mind, it stayed in him with the reflection very. Because sale at that time it was the elementary school student, freely there was a time when you play. Because of that, being also it clears to be quick extremely, simply just a little lonesome separation where but......, it is not never sad meaning in the ending, waited. If the next work was, being to think, that certainly and it can meet to the Gee no, it does, but because... it is quick, time to pass already it became good age, (laughing certainly did not have this questionnaire, you did not remember either the thing of the Gee no, probably will be. While answering to the questionnaire, when perhaps it does and it can meet, that... just just you expecting a little, whether it is it is not, it increases,

This guy reflects on his childhood and says that SMRPG was and still is his favorite game even after 10 years. His favorite character was Geno and he was really sad when he didn't appear in Paper Mario. He then basically says, and I love the guy for saying it, "Since you're such a great guy (referring to Sakurai), Geno's probably already in Brawl and you're just not telling us."

No. 86 Nickname & beginning The reflection contribution theme * concerning the character Beginning! The っ which is the スマブラ new work it is and has been excited! ! The reflection to キャラ, with with the notion that where you say... from game and マリオ RPG which I love the Gee no...! ! Lines turning and skill and setting of Gee no. It is the chair coming which very is. First play time immature kindergarten child (!) Was, but now already it is the high school student. 10 years or more it passed to be even to, it is favorite the game which occasionally you have played. The む oak does, without understanding well, doing in feeling, hurting, but now you do with it is different at all, it is, don't you think?. Also from charm of the Gee no reached the point where it is understood... it is very delightful, is, * the no no to tell the truth it is the doll and/or, to tell the truth is the messenger of the star when, "the hay! "It is word っ ちゃ う cuteness, (laughing) and... little bit kana forcing ED. That, blue mantle again! Production, please persevere ^ ^ the っ which has been enjoyed!

This guy also refers to his childhood. SMRPG was also his favorite game and he comments, "much like an oak tree, my love for the game has grown with each passing year." He also mentions that Geno was his favorite character and says several reasons why. He then finishes by telling Sakurai and his team to keep up the good work.

No. 247 Nickname & sea cucumber Contribution theme & depending etc. You ask already truly. This thinking was designated as 10 letter compositions. "The request Gee no putting out! " Then favorite the beverage you write. Favorite beverage: アンバサ

This one's funny. This guy asks for Geno to be put in Brawl and then asks Sakurai what his favorite drink is. :laugh:

No. 268 Nickname & マユミ The reflection contribution theme * concerning the character Today, beginning? This page you were already agitated instantaneously is discovered! ! No せ I do 1st being to love in the game which previous スマデラ did until now. That everyday did that. You think that both キャラ, stage, the movie and music it is splendid it is possible and is. Because スマデラ the friend who does was not around me, the younger brothers and sisters you do, or did increased with 1 person and, but you did not grow tired at all. The consideration which can be played pleasantly even with 1 person, is quantity in this game, ill-smelling it is being to be. I grow tired the game doing, mostly, immediately, it is. So as for this you do not grow tired at all. Being to think, that such game it makes rather it is difficult, it does, but Sakurai made that...! It is the fearful person in good sense, (laughing) キャラ is the 1st reflection in the ice climber. The ice climber being it has been popular being to have known, it does, but... never it is lovely so...! ! When ポポナナ パンッ has touched at the time of victory, it is dense lovely something! ! When and it tries using, it is strong something! ! ! When 1 person it is done, there is a weak point that the weak body, aerial side movement is slow, but the stop っ ちゃ feeling where that intense スマッシュ skill is decided it was good! ! Because, I アイクラ was subject. That it probably will win the fox of the younger brother with アイクラ, being desperate, コンボ skill inspects the bosom oak to be... almost it could not win after all, but (laughing) even then it is to abandon with it has persevered? アイクラ to pull me to here, because they are the sources whom it makes be packed, and that the form, voice would like to hear lovely even with スマブラ X, is. Efficiency of the previous ポポナナ individual completely was the same, but each one also っ て the fact that efficiency is different delicately is funny so? How thinking, it increases. The あ, by the way new キャラ desires the Gee no and the participation of マロ. Already, also 10 years pass, but CM or not yet even cannot forget the story or music. Because 2 are people and character and skill unique, when it can participate, you think that it can enjoy rather. The long sentence impoliteness it does. Then paying attention to the body...

Oh God, this guy is long winded... A vast majority of his submission talks about why he loves the Ice Climbers and why they should come back. After that, he suggests Geno AND Mallow for Brawl. He then says that even after 10 years, he still can't forget SMRPG's music or story. He then mentions how unique both characters are and basically says "People would really enjoy them if they were playable." He finishes by aplogising about his freakishly huge submission. :laugh:

No. 276 Nickname & マリオマスター Contribution theme * the music which is wanted inserting All everyone who has participated Sakurai, and to development. Very today. Will development how probably be? In we head, as for the music which is used in the game, as for those where it is necessary for the game it is the rice cake remaining overnight, but you think that they are one fine arts, it is! As for the game, スマブラ, the Nintendo Co. compilation into one book. In other words, there is no reason which even compilation into one book of the Nintendo Co. music can be said is? X of first generation, DX, and new work. By his is impressed hurting, it does with any スマブラ. Only main theme it can designate X yet as the ear, but it is this one tune, and others, you shivered, it is! Already, when development advances in earnest, you knew it is it is not, how it becomes, is. Well, rather thing please drive out with impression. By all means, all people, we request the kind of music which the impression tear it is possible! Privately it is BGM of the forest of ハナチャン "of マリオ RPG", if "carefulness it is in the mushroom of the forest," being to be delightful enormously, it does, but don't you think? but..., because that is the case that it is also the copyright of スクエニ, it is unreasonable; Well, if the Gee no participates, certainly! (Excessiveness The renewal here it devotes to one time closing and development so the shank. Everyone! The new world is enjoyed! Please persevere!

Yet another long winded guy. He goes on and on about how much potential Brawl's music has and how much he loves what he's already heard. The sheer variety of music coming from all of Nintendo's franchises leaves him practically speechless in awe. He then requests "Forest Maze" from SMRPG to be added as a music theme. He then talks about whether or not Square Enix would be willing to let Nintendo use it and this concerns him because he likes it so much. He then basically finishes by saying "it wouldn't make sense to just put it into the game so why not make Geno a playable character?"

Enigma14

Smash Champion
That's the thing, Sakurai didn't say anything about any characters except Toad (when he was actually making fun of the person who suggested him) and Megaman (when he responded to the person who suggested him by explaining what the "rules" of third party characters would be.) The mentions were done by various people who submitted entries into the offical Brawl poll that was held from the first week of May 06 to the second week of June 06.

I only saved the entries that mentioned Geno and I'll post them again for your benefit and briefly summarize what they say. (These were translated using babelfish so you can read them in their original context)

This guy reflects on his childhood and says that SMRPG was and still is his favorite game even after 10 years. His favorite character was Geno and he was really sad when he didn't appear in Paper Mario. He then basically says, and I love the guy for saying it, "Since you're such a great guy (referring to Sakurai), Geno's probably already in Brawl and you're just not telling us."

This guy also refers to his childhood. SMRPG was also his favorite game and he comments, "much like an oak tree, my love for the game has grown with each passing year." He also mentions that Geno was his favorite character and says several reasons why. He then finishes by telling Sakurai and his team to keep up the good work.

This one's funny. This guy asks for Geno to be put in Brawl and then asks Sakurai what his favorite drink is. :laugh:

Oh God, this guy is long winded... A vast majority of his submission talks about why he loves the Ice Climbers and why they should come back. After that, he suggests Geno AND Mallow for Brawl. He then says that even after 10 years, he still can't forget SMRPG's music or story. He then mentions how unique both characters are and basically says "People would really enjoy them if they were playable." He finishes by aplogising about his freakishly huge submission. :laugh:

Yet another long winded guy. He goes on and on about how much potential Brawl's music has and how much he loves what he's already heard. The sheer variety of music coming from all of Nintendo's franchises leaves him practically speechless in awe. He then requests "Forest Maze" from SMRPG to be added as a music theme. He then talks about whether or not Square Enix would be willing to let Nintendo use it and this concerns him because he likes it so much. He then basically finishes by saying "it wouldn't make sense to just put it into the game so why not make Geno a playable character?"
You're freaking amazing. :cool:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well very nice pic

Brawl is going to need more unique characters just like Geno and Ridley

Then it will be perfect

Shuma

Smash Hero
Hmmm still not happy with it... Geno and Ridley are omnipotent creatures aren't they? this pic doesn't make them justice.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well very nice pic

Brawl is going to need more unique characters just like Geno and Ridley

Then it will be perfect
Ridley's playstyle would be like nothing Smash has ever seen. I'm not big on him, but I sure wouldn't mind if he cracked the roster.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ridley's playstyle would be like nothing Smash has ever seen. I'm not big on him, but I sure wouldn't mind if he cracked the roster.
Nothing like Smash has ever seen = Epic win for Brawl

Shuma

Smash Hero
True, Ridley would be like nothing Smash has ever seen, wich is a good thing. Besides, having a Space Dragon in Brawl would be awesome, you cannot deny it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Looky here, only four out of those ten even became playable... I guess that debunks your theory of number of votes being the prime factor.

I'd like to introduce you to some people. Say hello to:

Young Link (8)
Zelda (8)
Sheik (8)
Metaknight (11)
Diddy Kong (15)

And here are the ultimate kickers:

Pit (5)
Popo and Nana (AKA the Ice Climbers) (4)

Huh... *swings arm around Krystal's shoulder* Now, under your logic, none of these characters should have become playable because they weren't in the top ten and those that weren't even in the top 20 were royally screwed and yet, Pit made it years later into Brawl with only 5 votes six years later and the Ice Climbers, who had less votes then Geno, made it into Melee. Case in point, your logic is miseribly flawed.

Please, spare us your arrogance... SMRPG is currently the most requested VC title in both North America and Japan and, if you look at the entries that talk about Geno, the people who mentioned him were very passionate about him and the only fans I saw with that kind of emotion other then them in Sakurai's journal were the people that suggested Claus. Also, if people didn't care about him, why did Nintendo even bother putting him in Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga? He's the only original SMRPG character to appear in another game. Should I also mention that Geno had nothing to do with the story and Square Enix wasn't involved in the game's development? That, my friend, is called fan service which, if you hadn't deducted it already, is what Smash Bros is all about.

I still don't get what your beef with Geno is... Would it really rip you apart at the seams if he made it into the game as a playable character? You didn't even bother responding to the huge rebuttal I made to one of your earlier comments so I want to know why. Krystal's chances aren't bothered by him. (Heck, she's already been semi-confirmed and like Sonic, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong, her chances were freakishly huge from the start considering she's the first major Nintendo female since Samus to play major roles and be playable in every single game that she's been in.) Luigi might as well be confirmed. There's strong evidence that Dr. Mario is getting the boot so that technically gives the Mario franchise a "free space." Fill that and you got 5 characters under the Mario icon. Add another and you only have one more from what was in Melee. ZOMG! Considering how the Mario franchise has over 100 games and is Nintendo's flagship franchise, 6 reps is far from unreasonable considering how, at this point, pokemon will probably have 5, the Legend of Zelda is guarenteed to have at least 4, and (from how things are going), this game will probably have at least 40 playable characters.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
True, Ridley would be like nothing Smash has ever seen, wich is a good thing. Besides, having a Space Dragon in Brawl would be awesome, you cannot deny it.
Of course a space dragon would be awesome. Metroid needs another rep anyway and I think Ridley is the strongest candidate.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Just that me and a couple of friends were talking about Ridley once and we thought he had a gun for a foot. And we thought of how Kirby would look like with a gun for a foot...with fangs...and wings...and scary eyes...and purple...

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Just that me and a couple of friends were talking about Ridley once and we thought he had a gun for a foot. And we thought of how Kirby would look like with a gun for a foot...with fangs...and wings...and scary eyes...and purple...
nope...Ridley never had a gun for a foot.

but, ironically on topic, Geno has a gun for each one of his fingers, and both arms...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Looky here, only four out of those ten even became playable... I guess that debunks your theory of number of votes being the prime factor.
Lol. 1st off, time constraints, 2ndly, look at whos playable in Brawl now. Wario & Dedede? Mew was pokeballed, Toad became a Peach move, Banjo & Kazooie was 2nd party and last I checked there were no 2nd party characters in melee which means Sakurai fancied 1st party stuff then. James Bond...well, I can't picture Pierce Brosnan in any smash game can you?

I'd like to introduce you to some people. Say hello to:
Young Link (8) <----A major part of the monumental OOT game. If hes not in the sky isn't blue.
Zelda (8)<---- Rode coattails of monumental OOT game.
Sheik (8)<---- See above.
Metaknight (11)<---- Major Kirby Villain. Why not?
Diddy Kong (15)<---- Had his own game & comes 2nd in popularity to DK? Say what?!

And here are the ultimate kickers:
Pit (5)<---- A king during his time.
Popo and Nana (AKA the Ice Climbers) (4)<----This one has me baffled, but they brought a fresh take on melee, so I can't really bash that one.

Huh... *swings arm around Krystal's shoulder* Now, under your logic, none of these characters should have become playable because they weren't in the top ten and those that weren't even in the top 20 were royally screwed and yet, Pit made it years later into Brawl with only 5 votes six years later and the Ice Climbers, who had less votes then Geno, made it into Melee. Case in point, your logic is miseribly flawed.
Popularity is only one piece of the puzzle and yes, popularity does factor in to Sakurai's decisions. Sonic proved that. People may not have been too high on Pit, but anyone who was around during the 80's will tell you he roxored the NES boxor.

Please, spare us your arrogance... SMRPG is currently the most requested VC title in both North America and Japan and, if you look at the entries that talk about Geno, the people who mentioned him were very passionate about him and the only fans I saw with that kind of emotion other then them in Sakurai's journal were the people that suggested Claus. Also, if people didn't care about him, why did Nintendo even bother putting him in Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga? He's the only original SMRPG character to appear in another game. Should I also mention that Geno had nothing to do with the story and Square Enix wasn't involved in the game's development? That, my friend, is called fan service which, if you hadn't deducted it already, is what Smash Bros is all about.

I think its safe to say that Geno isn't the only video game character with passionate fans. Case in point, the people who voted for Pit. :cool:

You'd have to really be enthralled with a character if his last appearance in a game was over a decade ago, yet you voted for him anyway over tons of other good characters.

By the way, Smash Bros is not all about fanservice. Game and Watch proved that along with the Ice Climbers. Please.

I still don't get what your beef with Geno is... Would it really rip you apart at the seams if he made it into the game as a playable character? You didn't even bother responding to the huge rebuttal I made to one of your earlier comments so I want to know why. Krystal's chances aren't bothered by him. (Heck, she's already been semi-confirmed and like Sonic, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong, her chances were freakishly huge from the start considering she's the first major Nintendo female since Samus to play major roles and be playable in every single game that she's been in.) Luigi might as well be confirmed. There's strong evidence that Dr. Mario is getting the boot so that technically gives the Mario franchise a "free space." Fill that and you got 5 characters under the Mario icon. Add another and you only have one more from what was in Melee. ZOMG! Considering how the Mario franchise has over 100 games and is Nintendo's flagship franchise, 6 reps is far from unreasonable considering how, at this point, pokemon will probably have 5, the Legend of Zelda is guarenteed to have at least 4, and (from how things are going), this game will probably have at least 40 playable characters.

Paper Mario. Geno takes up the SMRPG mantle, Paper Mario (way more deserving character) is less likely to show up. So yes, it would split me in two if Geno was confirmed. The guy doesn't deserve it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lol. 1st off, time constraints, 2ndly, look at whos playable in Brawl now. Wario & Dedede? Mew was pokeballed, Toad became a Peach move, Banjo & Kazooie was 2nd party and last I checked there were no 2nd party characters in melee which means Sakurai fancied 1st party stuff then. James Bond...well, I can't picture Pierce Brosnan in any smash game can you?

Young Link (8) <----A major part of the monumental OOT game. If hes not in the sky isn't blue.
Zelda (8)<---- Rode coattails of monumental OOT game.
Sheik (8)<---- See above.
Metaknight (11)<---- Major Kirby Villain. Why not?
Diddy Kong (15)<---- Had his own game & comes 2nd in popularity to DK? Say what?!

Pit (5)<---- A king during his time.
Popo and Nana (AKA the Ice Climbers) (4)<----This one has me baffled, but they brought a fresh take on melee, so I can't really bash that one.

Popularity is only one piece of the puzzle and yes, popularity does factor in to Sakurai's decisions. Sonic proved that. People may not have been too high on Pit, but anyone who was around during the 80's will tell you he roxored the NES boxor.

Mario is already in the game...why the hell would you want Paper Mario?

Shuma

Smash Hero
"Popularity is only one piece of the puzzle and yes, popularity does factor in to Sakurai's decisions."

Yeah... uuhh you do know Geno is tied with Ridley in popularity right? and that they where tied with Ike and Diddy, and the 4 of them had one less vote than Dedede? and uuuh that Geno has more votes than Krystal?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because Mario is not the same as Paper Mario. Thats why.
He are still only just Mario, no matter what his moves would be...

...I never got the reasoning behind wanting more than one version of the same character in the game

Shuma

Smash Hero
Paper Mario is an incredibly stupid idea for a character, "hey look another mario, awesome". No thanks. it's between Bowser Jr. and Geno both of them much more deserving that a paper alter ego of a character tha is already ingame.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
"Popularity is only one piece of the puzzle and yes, popularity does factor in to Sakurai's decisions."

Yeah... uuhh you do know Geno is tied with Ridley in popularity right? and that they where tied with Ike and Diddy, and the 4 of them had one less vote than Dedede? and uuuh that Geno has more votes than Krystal?
Umm, the Brawl poll results haven't been released yet. You're referring to the letters Sakurai found interesting and decided to post. How does that equate to popularity? If anything it equates to Sakurai interest.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Krystal define second party

OR rather let me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-party_developer

Funny Samus is a second party character and shes been in since the first one and you said...

"Lol. 1st off, time constraints, 2ndly, look at whos playable in Brawl now. Wario & Dedede? Mew was pokeballed, Toad became a Peach move, Banjo & Kazooie was 2nd party and last I checked there were no 2nd party characters in melee which means Sakurai fancied 1st party stuff then. "

"Umm, the Brawl poll results haven't been released yet. You're referring to the letters Sakurai found interesting and decided to post. How does that equate to popularity? If anything it equates to Sakurai interest."

funny because it was the fans interest in these characters not only his interest. Also there characters were mentioned by other people multiple times which is popularity. Im not much of a debater but thats what Sakurai's poll was about, the characters, their mentions, the people who wanted them in and it proves how popular among about 290 selected people wanted them in.

Shuma

Smash Hero
"You're referring to the letters Sakurai found interesting and decided to post. How does that equate to popularity? If anything it equates to Sakurai interest."

I'm speechless. If Sakurai is interesed in a character than that means that character has a BIG chance of making it in.

Top Bottom