• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

kaid

Smash Master
Didn't see these the first time... thought the entire post was a rant against Tiamat.

McFox said:
1) Sakurai does not pick characters simply to advertise. Sigurd was picked for Melee earlier, but due to time constraints, he was cut. Then, near the end of development and with the addition of the clones, Nintendo recommended Roy to advertise their new game. He is the only character like this, and he was a clone.
I would submit that third party characters would follow different rules. After all, if th e third party character is advertising, the 3rd party has more reason to offer him. This applys expecially to Square, who has bad history with Nintendo.

McFox said:
2) Sakurai has a history of picking random, obscure characters for the roster. Characters that have a cult-like following with many people, but aren't necessarily recognized by all gamers. Characters like these include Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, Marth, Mewtwo, and Ness.
Point taken.

McFox said:
3) Sakurai has been known to pick characters whose resume only includes a single game. He's even picked characters that were never playable at all. Case-in-point: Sheik AND Ocarina of Time's Ganondorf. Others characters who were only in one game include the Ice Climbers, Roy, Ness, and Dr. Mario.
Shiek did not enter on her own merits. She was simply half of the unique, OoT based moveset they gave to Zelda, who has Nintendo's 3 most popular seres NAMED after her.
Gannon, again, was the reccuring villian of LoZ, and was going to be based off OoT's Gannondorf, but was cut and then reinserted as a clone. The villians were added to make epic clashes possible.

Ice Climbers were to rep an era(or so I've heard), Roy was advertising, Marth was in the first FE ever, and Doc was a last minute mario edit to fill the last slot. Ness, I don't know enough about. Ask me again when I've played the VC version.

McFox said:
4) Sakurai is also known for listening to fans' requests. That's the entire reason the poll was created. I doubt he would have made the poll for Japanese gamers if he was just going to just whimsically toss all of the suggestions aside. Because the poll was created at all, we can assume that he at least plans to considers fans' requests. Next, we can see that, of all of the characters on the list, Geno was almost definitely one of the most recommended, considering his huge popularity and probable even higher popularity in Japan, where RPGs rule.:
Point taken, which is why I always express the second 3rd party character slot in the form of a competition. Geno has cult popularity going for him, whereas Megaman has pure name reconition, and Sora has the advantage of kicking Sony in the balls, AND is popular outside Nintendo.

icymatt

Smash Lord
kaid said:
I would submit that third party characters would follow different rules. After all, if the third party character is advertising, the 3rd party has more reason to offer him. This applys expecially to Square, who has bad history with Nintendo.
But, in the end, it's the developers decision who goes in. If a third party offers a specific character, Sakurai and Co. can say "That's nice, but we had someone else in mind..."

kaid

Smash Master
True, but unless a character is payed off, it's not going to be allowed in Brawl.
Kojima and Yuji Naka (sp?) seem wiling to let their characters go simply for bragging rights (Yuji Naka, based off statements predating Snake's apperence) but I doubt Square would be so generous.

kaid

Smash Master
The only question is, is it in Sakura's budget? They bled Nintendo a fortune to make the first Crystal chronicals, after all...

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
There are so many variables for 3rd party characters(especially with Geno), such as relations, if he counted as a 3rd party character, and of course, money.

I'm sure Nintendo would be willing to pay, Sonic would probably cost a lot more than Geno. They could also use him for Mario RPGs,Mario Party(shudder), Mario Tennis, etc.

kaid

Smash Master
...sounds like you're starting to talk about buying the entire character, not just the right to use him in 1 game.

If that was the case, yes, Sonic would cost more than Geno, but for just 1 game, with Sonic and Mario... Yuji Naka has been on the record in favor of that for years.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
McFox said:
Tiamat and kaid, stop spamming this topic. I'll respond to anything you have to say when you go back and respond to some good points that I made earlier that were ignored. You know, the ones you ignored because you were on a "different discussion" now? Apparently, that discussion doesn't actually include anything worth reading ("Look, they stopped posting!"), but whatever.

As I said earlier, if you don't have anything to say, then don't say it.
*raises hand*
I was in this topic for a couple pages then it just well.. what you said :\

GenG

Smash Lord
Do you think that Nintendo actually PAID Konami for putting Snake in Brawl?

My, I doubt it. I'm not saying the gave him for free, but was Kojima the one who contacted Sakurai first (since Melee), or even they gave him for free at all. Kojima simply wanted to see his character in Smash, maybe because he wants to play with him as a fan of the series.
The same could happen with many thid party developers.

Sonic almost made it to Melee, as Naka said in a interview with EDGE. In this situation, it's more like a mutual agreement from both parts, maybe a bit of licensing fees, but no OMG BUNCH OF $$$$.

And, almost every character appearing in Brawl will get an instant status of popularity and fans raging for their games. That's like advertising works. Nintendo should be asking money for putting third party characters in their game, the game will be as popular and anticipated wether Snake were in or not. Third party characters are only the cherry in the top of the cake.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I seriously doubt Konami and Sonic Team wouldn't get paid to let their characters be added in Brawl. Sure, the creators may be friends, but letting huge characters like that in doesn't come cheap.

kaid

Smash Master
GenG said:
And, almost every character appearing in Brawl will get an instant status of popularity and fans raging for their games. That's like advertising works. Nintendo should be asking money for putting third party characters in their game, the game will be as popular and anticipated wether Snake were in or not. Third party characters are only the cherry in the top of the cake.
agreed and quoted for truth.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Oh, forgot about Birdo and Toad :p Is Toadette on the list too, by any chance? That would rock.

On topic:

Both Miyamoto AND Naka remarked they wanted to see Mario and Sonic appear together. Naka made the comment about Melee, and Miyamoto made the comment about Double Dash (http://planetgamecube.com/previewArt.cfm?artid=3572 , scroll to the bottom). The thing is, Naka doesn't belong to Sonic Team anymore. Will that affect the chances?

As for "buying characters," what they do is get the rights, sorta like if McDonalds makes a line of toys for, say, Transformers. They buy the licensed rights to Transformers, and under the mother company's jurisdiction can use them for their own reasons, giving a particular cut of the profit in exchange for the license. So this breaks down to, basically, more 3rd party characters = less profit for Nintendo. To add insult to injury, if they were to include the likes of Sora or Crash or somebody like that, it would be free advertising for Sony, who receives these characters but does have to pay any royalties as they're only making the console, not the games. Nintendo could potentially lose consumers to that. The pluses are, of course, that you can pull in more potential players out of curiosity or interest in the guest character, as well as expand your own product line to include other properties and selling points.

So it's a gamble who and how many, you see.

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
i think your over thinking the repercusions of including 3rd party characters... the point is, with Geno in the game, he would bring so much more to the game. Geno is in my opinion the best 3rd party choice for Brawl. Huge fanbase, almost everyone who knows of him likes him, and would have a unique moveset. he is perfect for brawl. not to mention he would be representing one of the greatest games on the SNES, one of the best Mario games ever, and one of the most fun RPGs to date.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Who said Sonic AND Geno couldn't both be in Brawl? There's going to be 1-2 more 3rd party characters Sakurai said.

kaid

Smash Master
Geno has a small, loyal fanbase, Megaman has massive name reconition, and Simon reps Castlevania, which is just as well known (and less beaten-to-death) but he himself has less reconization.

It's a toss-up, IMO.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
[/IMG]

.....no thanks.

As for Geno and Megaman competing to be included, I agree that it's a toss-up.

GenG

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
Who said Sonic AND Geno couldn't both be in Brawl? There's going to be 1-2 more 3rd party characters Sakurai said.
He said: "I don't know how many third party character to to put. 1-2 more perhaps?".

So there is room for more third party characters if it's needed, maybe up to 5.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I highly doubt that there will be 5 3rd party characters. Most likely him saying "1-2 more perhaps?" is a clue that there will be 1-2, not 5.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I think there may end up being like 3 at most, but most likely 2 more after Snake. That being said, there are obvious ones that should be put in before most others and unfortunately, as much as I love Geno, there are most popular franchises that will end up being represented in the game before Geno. But he would be a great character and who knows, maybe he'll end up in, I hope so. But I wouldn't mind it if it ended up being Sonice, Megaman, Ryu Hayabusa, Simon Belmont, etc. over Geno.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Marshigio said:
[/IMG]

.....no thanks.
Well try one of these on for size.
Trevor Belmont.
Soma Cruz
Richter Belmont

Considering Simon's Quest is the largest Blemish on the Castlevania series, and it's shameful existence should be denied, Simon only stars in two games, the second of which is just an updated version of the first.

And since there have long been talks about a Castlevania Anthology, the inclusion of Richter, [who has the widest range of moves that would fit perfectly into Smash] could represent a future release of the REAL Rondo of Blood. Hopefully.

And umm...Sorry to smudge up the Geno thread....Uh...Geno should count as First party. <.< >.>
Yeah I've got nothin'

xianfeng

Smash Hero
TDub301 said:
Ya, I think there may end up being like 3 at most, but most likely 2 more after Snake. That being said, there are obvious ones that should be put in before most others and unfortunately, as much as I love Geno, there are most popular franchises that will end up being represented in the game before Geno. But he would be a great character and who knows, maybe he'll end up in, I hope so. But I wouldn't mind it if it ended up being Sonice, Megaman, Ryu Hayabusa, Simon Belmont, etc. over Geno.
Geno has a better chance than Ryu and Simon

kaid

Smash Master
The best 3rd party list would probably be Sonic, Snake, Geno, and Megaman. While this is 1 more than Sakura implied, he wasn't speaking in very precise numbers.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Yeah, to him, 1 or 2 more is just his plan. But he did say maybe, insureing that he could change his mind. Kaids list is correct. Although, sometimes Bomberman and Geno seem to be fighting for third place (not counting Snake), I haven't seen Bomberman mentioned in awhile, so I guess Geno won 3rd place. So, basically Kaids list is correct as far as most hopeful goes for pretty much everyone.

EDIT: 40 pages for Geno ^^

Meyeselph

Smash Apprentice
Out of all the third party character ideas I've seen I support Geno the most. (not counting the fact that I kind of root for any female anyone can come up with because smash needs more girl characters)

In my opinion the fact that Geno has only starred in one game and that game is a very popular game on a nintendo console means that his inclusion makes a bit more sense then snake ( I still support his inclusion because Kojima just had to have him in a smash brothers because he's a fan of nintendo and this series) since all of snakes most popular games come out on sony systems first and most of them don't touch a nintendo system at all. Square enix may deny alot of third party love to nintendo these days but Geno has never been used in a non nintendo game so he's effectively a part of nintendo's history even though he isn't in a technically first party nintendo game.

PS. as a side note I think mega man shouldn't be in smash brothers because of the same reason as snake. Most of mega man's games these days are sony exclusive. He may have a long history with nintendo's 8 bit days and a couple of 16 bit games but putting him in brawl would give sony some extra thunder if mega man games are going to be coming out for the ps3. Just be content that he is an uber character in the marvel vs capcom games.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Meyeselph said:
Out of all the third party character ideas I've seen I support Geno the most. (not counting the fact that I kind of root for any female anyone can come up with because smash needs more girl characters).

IS GENO REALLY A GIRL?

Not that anythings wrong with that if he/she is.

Anyway, I think both Geno and Mallow should BOTH be in, because they are both unique and rock in Maio RPG.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Well to be exact, Geno's a star of unknon gender, but from RPG it would be assumed it's a guy. The doll also looks more like a Ken than Barbie.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Yea he's like those toys you saw as a kid that fire **** at you and chop and stuff, only his attacks can actually **** you up. I mean, one little hit knocked Mario unconsious.

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
(I wish I had a Geno action figure)

Yeah, Geno's the real deal-what originally being a star and all. So he's really not a doll/action figure, but a star using the doll/action figure's body.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
It all doesn't matter what he/she/it is, all that matters is that he/she/it Kicks A** and should be in brawl. Along with Mallow

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Geno is cooler than Mallow, but that's no reason not to have Mallow in Brawl. I can see Mallow's Super Smash Attack be Star Rain :estatic:

ColonelAlloy

Smash Rookie
If Geno was in SSBB, I could die happy (assuming I got to play SSBB first).

He was by far the coolest character in SMRPG (and Jinx gets a close second), and he has nothing but benefits to bring to round out Nintendo's roster.

A) He'll add another good long-distance player to the roster.
B) He uses guns but he's a good guy, so Nintendo hopefully won't be worried that they have a game where an electric mouse can be machinegunned by a wooden doll.
C) Blue capes rock.

Plus, one of his specials can be like Peach's smash forward. With all the variability in weaponry Geno had in SMRPG, why just showcase one?

My imagined special moveset:

B: Geno Beam. It's as simple as holding B and then letting go. If you release B just as the beam reaches full charge, it does more damage (just like in the game).

Forward B: Gun Moves. I don't know yet if it would be better to cycle them, or do them randomly, but here they are:
--Unarmed: Geno's arm flies off and smacks the enemy, exploding on impact. Moderate damage.
--Finger Shot: Geno's fingertips unleash machinegun fire. Small damage, but more hits.
--Elbow Cannon: Slower fire, but more damage.
--Star Shot: This one would have to be rarer (maybe it activates under certain conditions?), as star shot does an insane amount of damage. Or maybe it could just be moderate damage, but knock the enemy back?

Up B: Geno Whirl. Hurls a disc of energy. Once the disc of energy is released, it can be slightly steered with the analog stick. Right as it's passing through an opponent, pressing B again will do more damage (but sadly, not the 9999 it does in the game. That would be a bit broken).

Down B: Geno Flash. Would work like Pikachu's Thunder, with the slight exception of there's more bolts. Oh, and they hit randomly across the stage. Very useful in cramped 4 player matches =D.

The Brawl Move would be Geno turning himself into a cannon and unleashing his starry wrath on the screen.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom