• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Duck Hunt Dog Thread

Fawriel

Smash Master
~~~~~Edit Isn't Working, Sorry for Double Post~~~~~

I bet that if he got in the game and ended up being top tier, all you complainers and Negative Nancies would main him. >_>
This is actually my greatest fear concerning joke characters.
Imagine Tingle gets in.
Tingle ends up top-tier by, I dunno, combining Peach's and Jigglypuff's strengths with Samus'.
Result: Thousands of Tingle combo videos and thousands of people unable to stop talking about how Tingle is actually the most awesome in cool and a totally unique character and stuff.

I'm scared.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
No. Plz no Laughing Dog. There are so many other deserving characters that could fill that spot.

I guess if all deserving characters make it, THEN and ONLY then could he join the Brawl cast.

Otherwise....just.......NO.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I'm still amazed by how offended people get when they hear ideas they don't like. It gives me such hope for the future of humanity.

Anyways, Duck Hunt Dog FTW!!! And for the people who want him as a sandbag, or a stage hazard, whatever! I'd be happy with his inclusion for the game period. It means either Sakurai and I are on they same frequency, or he's checked this thread XD.

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
i like the ideas of the throwing clay discs and ducks, and even holding on to ducks

i think it would be hilarious if he shot a gun lol

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Hunter.

Great idea here, that dog is just perfect for SSB. All in all, the whole game is still a Nintendo history thing. Even with Snake added, he himself calls it "that Nintendo thing" and there is just nothing more Nintendo then the original console, the zapper and duck hunt. :) I think Hunter would be a great name for the dog. Also, as to his moveset:

Smash B; Barking: the dog chases his enemies away like the birds in DH. Sorta like Mewtwo does only with the enemy making a more upward motion.

Neutral B; Zapper: the dog takes out his Zapper and shoots thrice. Works just like Falco his gun.

Up B; Flight of the Duck: as many others suggested.

Down B; Clay Disk: The Dog goes behind the grass from DH for half a second to pick up a Clay Disk. Works just like Peach her turnips except that the clay ones do 1% more damage but break apart on impact. There should be a small change that you get a duck instead of a Clay Disk which would work more like a Mister Saturn, but flying and would have to be "re-grabbed" with Z. Also as a joke, he'd pick a turnip out of the grass once in a while.

He would normally stand on two legs facing towards the player. With a low walking speed and still on 2 legs, but now towards his enemies, but when running drop down to all four and be much faster, a whole lot like bowser has now.

His first jump shouldn't be all too high as it's made from two legs, but his second should compensate as he makes his double jump with four legs.

His neutral A should just be an attack with his paw. In this attack his "fingers" should be faced upwards and his "handpalm" towards the oponent. He would be standing upright and repeat the same attack on every A hit, just not as fast as the continued attacks from Fox/Sheik/C.F. etc.

His down A should be somewhat similar but now with the back of his paw facing toward the screen and the dog on four legs again.

His up A should be an very minor jump (more just to animate the motion, no actual gameplay advantage) and then biting his oponent.

His forward A should be a small charge from the standing (upright) position and then just bashing his head into an oponent, landing on all fours but obviously standing up again after.

His aerials should all be spikes (joking here).

To his Final Smash, I like the ideas so far, with the "duck hunt player" should madly because of the laughter. It's obviously something we've all done o so many times before and really gives that retro feeling. What I would like to see slightly different, is that when the dog starts glowing from the Smash Ball, he starts appearing and disappearing everywhere on the screen really fast, laughing all the time. So basically, the player is shooting everywhere to hit him but in the dog his mad rage he is just way too fast.

Anyway Hunter FTW!

Fyacin_the_Deadeyed

Smash Cadet
Man, Laughing dog would be the best classic character ever. I would love to see him as a character, but I guess if he just laughs at you on a duck hunt stage, that would be pretty sweet.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Great idea here, that dog is just perfect for SSB. All in all, the whole game is still a Nintendo history thing. Even with Snake added, he himself calls it "that Nintendo thing" and there is just nothing more Nintendo then the original console, the zapper and duck hunt. :) I think Hunter would be a great name for the dog. Also, as to his moveset:

Smash B; Barking: the dog chases his enemies away like the birds in DH. Sorta like Mewtwo does only with the enemy making a more upward motion.

Neutral B; Zapper: the dog takes out his Zapper and shoots thrice. Works just like Falco his gun.

Up B; Flight of the Duck: as many others suggested.

Down B; Clay Disk: The Dog goes behind the grass from DH for half a second to pick up a Clay Disk. Works just like Peach her turnips except that the clay ones do 1% more damage but break apart on impact. There should be a small change that you get a duck instead of a Clay Disk which would work more like a Mister Saturn, but flying and would have to be "re-grabbed" with Z. Also as a joke, he'd pick a turnip out of the grass once in a while.

He would normally stand on two legs facing towards the player. With a low walking speed and still on 2 legs, but now towards his enemies, but when running drop down to all four and be much faster, a whole lot like bowser has now.

His first jump shouldn't be all too high as it's made from two legs, but his second should compensate as he makes his double jump with four legs.

His neutral A should just be an attack with his paw. In this attack his "fingers" should be faced upwards and his "handpalm" towards the oponent. He would be standing upright and repeat the same attack on every A hit, just not as fast as the continued attacks from Fox/Sheik/C.F. etc.

His down A should be somewhat similar but now with the back of his paw facing toward the screen and the dog on four legs again.

His up A should be an very minor jump (more just to animate the motion, no actual gameplay advantage) and then biting his oponent.

His forward A should be a small charge from the standing (upright) position and then just bashing his head into an oponent, landing on all fours but obviously standing up again after.

His aerials should all be spikes (joking here).

To his Final Smash, I like the ideas so far, with the "duck hunt player" should madly because of the laughter. It's obviously something we've all done o so many times before and really gives that retro feeling. What I would like to see slightly different, is that when the dog starts glowing from the Smash Ball, he starts appearing and disappearing everywhere on the screen really fast, laughing all the time. So basically, the player is shooting everywhere to hit him but in the dog his mad rage he is just way too fast.

Anyway Hunter FTW!
That's a beast of a moveset. Nice work.

I'm still a little mad Duck Hunt Dog didn't make it in Wii Play.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog as the Goldeen of the Assist Tropheys? Hmmmmm.

I could see it. It'd be funny. You summon an assist and its....Duck Hunt Dog...and he's laughing at you....crap....

Yeah, I can definatly see it. I'd MUCH rather him be a stage hazard or even better, a playable, but like I said before, I'd be happy with his inclusion in the game period, no matter what he is.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Awww, you had the exact same idea I did! Too slow again!

But wait! There is one crucial difference in our ideas...

He'll be an AT you can actually KO.
Muhahahaha!

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
HECK YES!!!!!!!!! At first I thought ROB would the perfect kind of Game and Watch type of WTF/retro character,but the Laughing Dog definitely is. Knowing that the dog would in SSBB would let me die with a smile on my face.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
That'd be pretty cool to have him as block the whole screen but alas,we have nintendog for that.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
After seeing the ATs, I think Laughing Dog is THE perfect choice. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a playable character, but I think that he would be best implemented as an AT.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I forsee him as the goldeen of AT, except he really rubs it into your face with all that laughing.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
After seeing the ATs, I think Laughing Dog is THE perfect choice. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a playable character, but I think that he would be best implemented as an AT.

Yeah,probably being the Goldeen of Ats like what the guy above me said. Although hes a PC,or is on the battlefield in anyway Brawl would instantly be the greatest game of all time in my eyes.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
HECK YES!!!!!!!!! At first I thought ROB would the perfect kind of Game and Watch type of WTF/retro character,but the Laughing Dog definitely is. Knowing that the dog would in SSBB would let me die with a smile on my face.
heres to a miserable death...

laughing dog as small background cameo for the win....

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
And they Don't appeal to MODERN gamers

But they are supposed to look like humans as well LD is supposed to look like a Dog

Gorilla's are similar to humans and Mario and Peach are special though because they have story and personality.

Didn't stop Pikachu or Kirby,why LD?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Poor, poor xianfeng...maybe one day he'll learn to actually debate well.

I really do love the mixed reactions to the idea of DHD. People seem to get REALLY testy when it comes to his inclusion. I'm tempted to go and count how many times he comes up in the "worst character suggestion you've ever seen" thread. But I'm too lazy.

Really, its hilarious to see how worked up some people, like xianfeng, for instance, over if a VIDEO GAME character MIGHT get into a video game or not. If you read the whole thread, a number of people act as though they will ACTUALLY die if he made it into the game as a PC.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Poor, poor xianfeng...maybe one day he'll learn to actually debate well.
You should read his anti-U.S. rants. Hilarious stuff.

Now with Allied Trophies, I'm 99% confident DHD WILL be in the game in some shape or form, but I'm still hoping for a playable character.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The Duck Hunt dog would be the perfect nostalgia character. Characters like Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Balloon Fighter, Pit, Mach Rider, ect... are great, but they only appeal to select groups of people. Not everyone remembers those characters.

Literally everybody who was old enough to play video games in the 80s remembers Duck Hunt and that stupid dog that laughs at you. I like the idea of him being the Goldeen of ATs(especially since it was my idea to begin with), but I like the idea of him being a PC a lot more.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I just thought of the best final smash ever. The dog tars and feathers his opponents so that they look like ducks. Then a target appears over them and they get shot.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Oh if he got on...oh...the revenge would be sweet. For all those times he giggled at me. Put him on Level 1 and let the fun begin.

l!l

Smash Rookie
lol he would be great as an AT. All he would do would be laugh and go away :chuckle:

Kind of like Goldeen in Melee. Completley useless. :chuckle:

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I would think he could have been an AT that would act like the Nintendogs..

But still an AT, not a playable in my opinion.

-Onyx

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yes, I think everyone is set on the idea that the Dog would make a great AT.

Being a playable character would just seem like a waste of a character slot now, the way I see it.

Top Bottom