• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
"It hasn't done succesfully worldwide"
We'd basically be putting in 3 Japan-only characters from one game in the series already replacing a veteran, 2 Might not be a stretch but THREE???? And Kumatora = Duster in Role-wise practically, So no, It could...

And no i haven't.

Keyword:A While ago.
I Thought of it before that.
:p.
So who would be good NPC'S?

Go get phantom hourglass ouendnubdanation :p.
Seriously it's awsome.

1.No, He said he was happy to add Zss due to that, It doesen't mean everyone else confirmed.
2.True but 3 Newcomers for it already replacing a veteran (EVEN IF Lucas is similar to ness.) Is already a huge stretch.
Okay Third, but if she does make it, you're going to put her on your character roster in Nsider 2 and make a huge paragraph saying how wrong you were. :chuckle: Anyways, what should we discuss about Claus?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Okay Third, but if she does make it, you're going to put her on your character roster in Nsider 2 and make a huge paragraph saying how wrong you were. :chuckle: Anyways, what should we discuss about Claus?
Of course i will, But she's almost impossible (Either that or very unlikely.)

Hmmm i'm not sure, Claus has REALLY Become a huge fad on Nsider2 With rosters, I Mean i see him on a lot of them for that matter...Ever since this thread has upgraded haven't see seen Claus on many rosters? Also his kirby hat that hextupleyoodot made is awsome and full of win so it DOES Show that he was known a bit at Nsider (Remember Fierce Diety Link and Skull kid the fads?) So....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey, hey, don't get arrogant. We should accept the possibility that she won't be playable. However, others should do this as well, no matter how high the chances are for the character they want(ie Krystal, Ridley).

I say we discuss his role in the SSE. Assuming that Claus will have the Masked Boy attire, I'm going to assume Lucas meets him later on in the storyline.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Really, 2 Japan-only's for a series is already stretching it enough, Let's get it INTERNATIONALLY Succesful first before we start putting in moar of lucas's friends....:laugh:
Just wanted to remind you that Fire Emblem had two representatives in Melee and that hadn't had a single release outside of Japan, unlike Mother Which did have Earthbound. Still I know what you mean, but somehow I think that since this is a character that will have no trouble getting in (unlike the way Geno may) and that Sakarai was involved with Mother 3 I believe and finally that Earthbound got two whole stages to itself in Melee, there's still quite a chance that he may get in. I sure hope so.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Hey, hey, don't get arrogant. We should accept the possibility that she won't be playable. However, others should do this as well, no matter how high the chances are for the character they want(ie Krystal, Ridley).

I say we discuss his role in the SSE. Assuming that Claus will have the Masked Boy attire, I'm going to assume Lucas meets him later on in the storyline.
Actually i was discussing earlier about who Lucas is teamed up with, Judging by what we have gotten for the SSE So far then i guess it's not to far-fecthed to say that they see each other then something else happens, Really i don't know, I'm thinking that Claus could team up with Meta-knight and Lucas could team up with Kirby to fight against each other and then some crazy stuff?...

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Of course i will, But she's almost impossible (Either that or very unlikely.)

Hmmm i'm not sure, Claus has REALLY Become a huge fad on Nsider2 With rosters, I Mean i see him on a lot of them for that matter...Ever since this thread has upgraded haven't see seen Claus on many rosters? Also his kirby hat that hextupleyoodot made is awsome and full of win so it DOES Show that he was known a bit at Nsider (Remember Fierce Diety Link and Skull kid the fads?) So....
Well, you're too blame for the Claus fad. :chuckle: but at Nsider, barely anyone knew who he was.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Just wanted to remind you that Fire Emblem had two representatives in Melee and that hadn't had a single release outside of Japan, unlike Mother Which did have Earthbound. Still I know what you mean, but somehow I think that since this is a character that will have no trouble getting in (unlike the way Geno may) and that Sakarai was involved with Mother 3 I believe and finally that Earthbound got two whole stages to itself in Melee, there's still quite a chance that he may get in. I sure hope so.
I'm saying that kumatora has little to no chance (3 Reps internationally? GAH!.) And also Fire Emblem was quite a bit more popular then Mother and it was suppose to have sigurd in Smash 64 (And Marth could have been another thought up idea.) So...

really Claus still has freakishly high chances however.(Well good ones to say the least.)

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Actually i was discussing earlier about who Lucas is teamed up with, Judging by what we have gotten for the SSE So far then i guess it's not to far-fecthed to say that they see each other then something else happens, Really i don't know, I'm thinking that Claus could team up with Meta-knight and Lucas could team up with Kirby to fight against each other and then some crazy stuff?...
Would be cool, but so far it doesn't seem like many, nay, any characters have faced others from thier series, Diddy and Fox vs Rayquaza, Kirby vs Petey, so he may be involved with someone completely different to Lucas, at the start at least.

ps. I've never used 'nay' in my life before.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, you're too blame for the Claus fad. :chuckle: but at Nsider, barely anyone knew who he was.
I R GEWD FAD-STARTER.

And actually he was a bit well-known...I'm just saying that he was on hex's kirby hats before the likes of isaac krystal and sukapon (LOL.) So he has so have SOME Popularity? And to be before Lucas on that list? Priceless, And also this backs up my proof about Paper Mario and Geno being a lot more popular then Bowser JR At old nsider (I Remember a lot of rosters with doc taken off and Paper Mario and Geno added.) Since Paper Mario was like the 11th Hat done on there, Hex is amazing however...

Oh paper mario and geno were huge fads at old nsider if i can remember right.

And yeah, I'm the one to blame for the fad there.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Would be cool, but so far it doesn't seem like many, nay, any characters have faced others from thier series, Diddy and Fox vs Rayquaza, Kirby vs Petey, so he may be involved with someone completely different to Lucas, at the start at least.

ps. I've never used 'nay' in my life before.
Paper Mario? Isaac? Animal crosser? Sukapon? Ganondorf? Just some random ideas i have...

Editz:Double posted.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
I R GEWD FAD-STARTER.

And actually he was a bit well-known...I'm just saying that he was on hex's kirby hats before the likes of isaac krystal and sukapon (LOL.) So he has so have SOME Popularity? And to be before Lucas on that list? Priceless, And also this backs up my proof about Paper Mario and Geno being a lot more popular then Bowser JR At old nsider (I Remember a lot of rosters with doc taken off and Paper Mario and Geno added.) Since Paper Mario was like the 11th Hat done on there, Hex is amazing however...

Oh paper mario and geno were huge fads at old nsider if i can remember right.

And yeah, I'm the one to blame for the fad there.
I think Algus had him in his list of newcomers.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm saying that kumatora has little to no chance (3 Reps internationally? GAH!.) And also Fire Emblem was quite a bit more popular then Mother and it was suppose to have sigurd in Smash 64 (And Marth could have been another thought up idea.) So...

really Claus still has freakishly high chances however.(Well good ones to say the least.)
I'm just wondering, but wasn't MOTHER more popular than Fire Emblem? After all, didn't MOTHER 1+2 have some event in honor of its release?

Come to think of it, there was a share of support on the old NSider.Although, the fans got together and he's become more popular.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I think Algus had him in his list of newcomers.
Claus? I'm not sure...I Know he had Paper Mario and Geno.

BTW Here's hex's thread for anyone who wants to visit his awsomeness (Those kirby hats = Win.) :http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25313&hl=

And the order of all of them (Discluding remakes.) JUST TO PROVE THAT CLAUS HAD SOME POPULARITY AT OLD NSIDER, And seriously you can ask ryudo, Ryudo, The hex thread was popular at old nsider right? People would spam it up when they got a new hat, Anyhow...I Took trailer hats off also, Well then:
1.Sonic
2.Geno
3.Fierce diety link
4.Paper Mario < I WIN! Cutest hat goes to him.
5.Meowth
6.Midna
7.Ray01
8.Lucario
9.Olimar
10.Skull kid
11.Dedede
12.Bomberman
13.Nights
14.Vaati
15.Klonoa
16.Bowser JR
17.Diddy Kong
18.Rayman
19.Megaman w/e helper.
20.Andy
21.Ridley
22.Tom Nook
23.Tails
24.Claus ~ Mother 3 (:D.)

:p.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm just wondering, but wasn't MOTHER more popular than Fire Emblem? After all, didn't MOTHER 1+2 have some event in honor of its release?

Come to think of it, there was a share of support on the old NSider.Although, the fans got together and he's become more popular.
Yeah, An old arguement i use to see is "Lucas might not make it in so..." And with Ness practically out of here then...

Oh and Mother did have one i think but FE Still turns out more popular (7 Games under its belt to 3.) But Mother's are hyped, All i'm saying is that another rep could be easily ignored for Mother, But it probably won't, :p.

GAH! Double post again, >_>.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh and Mother did have one i think but FE Still turns out more popular (7 Games under its belt to 3.) But Mother's are hyped, All i'm saying is that another rep could be easily ignored for Mother, But it probably won't, :p.

GAH! Double post again, >_>.
I wouldn't say Fire Emblem is more popular because there are ten games while MOTHER has three. I mean, consider that MOTHER 3 was demanded for a long time before it came out. Also, there's a bright side to having three instead of ten. Each game is more special individually.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I wouldn't say Fire Emblem is more popular because there are ten games while MOTHER has three. I mean, consider that MOTHER 3 was demanded for a long time before it came out. Also, there's a bright side to having three instead of ten. Each game is more special individually.
If your talking about now? Uhhh...FE Has 10 Games under its belt with half of them released worldwide, Mother only has cult-cut popularity.

All i'm stating is that sakurai could easily ignore a 2nd represenitive despite what we say, It's not likely but you never know....
I have no munnys :(
Go get munnys, Naow.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
If your talking about now? Uhhh...FE Has 10 Games under its belt with half of them released worldwide, Mother only has cult-cut popularity.
In the states, that may be true (though I wouldn't exactly doubt the size of the fanbase that starmen.net represents).

But in Japan, Mother is BIG. Serious business and all that jazz. Even Sakurai seemingly has a love for things Mother-related, especially when it comes to the 3rd game.

Obviously, I would think that the most appropriate thing to showcase that love, as well as cater to the Japanese and hardcore faithful who also share that love, would be to put in Claus-Masked Boy in the game, so that Mother 3 could have two representatives from a popular game.

All i'm stating is that sakurai could easily ignore a 2nd represenitive despite what we say, It's not likely but you never know....
Anything's likely. But this is the kind of thing that basically boils down to "reading between the lines", "seeing the trend" and all that.

Personally, I'm hoping that there's plenty of Mother 3 love in here. It may be the only way that NoA will finally get fire up their *****, and translate the game for release over here, in some shape or form.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In the states, that may be true (though I wouldn't exactly doubt the size of the fanbase that starmen.net represents).

But in Japan, Mother is BIG. Serious business and all that jazz. Even Sakurai seemingly has a love for things Mother-related, especially when it comes to the 3rd game.

Obviously, I would think that the most appropriate thing to showcase that love, as well as cater to the Japanese and hardcore faithful who also share that love, would be to put in Claus-Masked Boy in the game, so that Mother 3 could have two representatives from a popular series.
fixed

nyoro~n

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

Obviously, I would think that the most appropriate thing to showcase that love, as well as cater to the Japanese and hardcore faithful who also share that love, would be to put in Claus-Masked Boy in the game, so that Mother 3 could have two representatives from a popular game.

Anything's likely. But this is the kind of thing that basically boils down to "reading between the lines", "seeing the trend" and all that.

Personally, I'm hoping that there's plenty of Mother 3 love in here. It may be the only way that NoA will finally get fire up their *****, and translate the game for release over here, in some shape or form.
I'm just saying that sakurai COULD Easily ignore it (Seriously, We could have said that diddy was a shoo-in back in the time of melee and look what happened thar <_<?.)

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I was happy with what I wrote originally. :chuckle: After all, Lucas and Claus only pertain to one game, not to the entire series that represents Mother.

And of course, there's nothing that states that Sakurai couldn't have put another Mother representative entirely...but I'm not going into that matter again.

thethirdkoopa said:
I'm just saying that sakurai COULD Easily ignore it (Seriously, We could have said that diddy was a shoo-in back in the time of melee and look what happened thar <_<?.)
Well, that was a different time and era.

Melee was the victim of a rushed development cycle, and then made worse by the time Sakurai decided to up and leave within the game's last year before release.

It's highly probable that, if Sakurai had stayed on til the end, the game roster, as well as the game itself, probably would have been much more polished than what we got by the end.

Diddy wasn't the only one who was highly requested to appear in the first Smash sequel. For instance, Dedede and MK were both up there on the list, but circumstances being as they were put a stop to that.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Well, that was a different time and era.

Melee was the victim of a rushed development cycle, and then made worse by the time Sakurai decided to up and leave within the game's last year before release.

It's highly probable that, if Sakurai had stayed on til the end, the game roster, as well as the game itself, probably would have been much more polished than what we got by the end.

Diddy wasn't the only one who was highly requested to appear in the first Smash sequel. For instance, Dedede and MK were both up there on the list, but circumstances being as they were put a stop to that.
I'm going to agree wholeheartedly. This game has had longer to develop than any game I can think of(except Duke Nukem forever, of course), and I'm positive Sakurai has looked at every possible candidate.

If a character does not make it into this game, it will be -only- because Sakurai and the team thought that he would not fit, could not find a good moveset, or (unlikely) is being saved for a future installment. It hurts me to say it, but if Claus, Ridley, Olimar, Isaac, and all other 1st and 2nd party characters are not in, it's because Sakurai wanted it that way, not because there wasn't enough time, because I'm sure all of these and more were considered.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
balance is also an issue....its hard to keep a really big roster balanced...

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
disc space is also an issue....
Only but so much. For 3D games especially, it's rather easy to craft a singular character model, and alter it as you wish to make it do the actions you want, all while only taking up relatively little space on the disc. If this was a 2D, sprite-based game, then yeah, this would definitely be an issue.

Honestly, the things that probably stand to take up the most real estate on the DVD, would be the cutscenes crafted for SSE mode. But depending on how much they use CG renders and/or in-game models, this may also be not much of an issue.

This is also true, and probably the more valid of your two arguments. And while we certainly do have some examples of where such a thing can fall flat on its face (MvC2), there's also instances where we can see where it can more or less "work just fine" (King of Fighters 98).

On a brighter note, I would think that Sakurai has certainly had a good deal of time to work on this game. At the least, 3 years up to now (if not ideally more). I'd like to think that's certainly enough time to try and craft a good game engine, good-sized roster, as well as take painstaking details to try and balance it all out as humanly possible.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Does anyone have Mother 3 maps? I can only find the Tatsumari Village, Alec's House and New Pork City, I need the Thunder Tower and Tatsumari but in the later stages of the game, when it's not "country" looking, if anyone has them, I would be really thankful.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Urgh...

Look again, My point was that Mother is very small to the grand scheme of nintendo and sakurai could easily put "DENY!!!!!" On a second represenitive (Note F-zero.) And so on to many more of them, With a character yet to be revealed we COULD Have the full starting line-up (And maybe some more.) Leavaing 15 Spots open for around 35-40 Characters, The competition really comes down to what happens then, But we'll have to wait and see..

However of course i know that Mother has a huge chance at a Second represenitive.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
when I mentioned disc space I also took into account SSE....but yea I dont think EVERY character that could make and isnt in Brawl Sakurai couldnt work with cuz I have a list of 105+ characters that I can easily make movesets for....

well....w/e

when Claus double jumps...should his be like Ness' or just be a generic double jump?

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Again, a valid point, but I'm positive Sakurai has taken this into account.

Of course, I don't play competitively, so it's no concern of mine how balanced the roster is at the metagame(I only noticed obviously overpowered characters like Sheik and unuseable ones like Mewtwo before coming here), but I can see how that would be a concern for some of the people here. Like I said, I'm sure he's taken care of this anyway.

Even so, I don't think the roster size should suffer purely because of balancing issues. Sure, putting in 60+ characters is just plain fan service and it'll probably end up being crap, but I can see him managing 35-45 characters, especially when Items and Stages are taken into account, and especially Stage Builder.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have Mother 3 maps? I can only find the Tatsumari Village, Alec's House and New Pork City, I need the Thunder Tower and Tatsumari but in the later stages of the game, when it's not "country" looking, if anyone has them, I would be really thankful.
Have you checked starmen.net they have almost everything.

and an unrelated question but where would I go to add my main smashers? You have Ness and Lucas how do I put mine?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
As for jumping. A possible new way of recovering? His second jump could be a booster from the bat wings, but they can be held to recover fast at the rate of when Claus left after first being beat by Lucas and co. He could become a bit, lame. But, it's an idea.
Interesting...so, a second jump that rockets you straight up like an Up B? Hm. Would his Up Special thus grant him horizontal recovery to compensate?

And speaking of Claus's wings, should Claus be able to glide or not? I think it only makes sense for him to be able to, but I haven't made it that far in MOTHER 3 yet (still on Ch. 4 lolz).

vesperview

Smash Hero
Have you checked starmen.net they have almost everything.

and an unrelated question but where would I go to add my main smashers? You have Ness and Lucas how do I put mine?
I did check on Starmen.net but they haven't finished their site walkthrough so they don't have any maps and as for the mains, you just have to write them after your location so they go in the next line, something like that.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Interesting...so, a second jump that rockets you straight up like an Up B? Hm. Would his Up Special thus grant him horizontal recovery to compensate?

And speaking of Claus's wings, should Claus be able to glide or not? I think it only makes sense for him to be able to, but I haven't made it that far in MOTHER 3 yet (still on Ch. 4 lolz).
Aren't his wings mechanical and like a jet pack?

Top Bottom