• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Uh, vesper, can you figure out all the recent members that have joined? I'm kinda lost.

Heh. One of my friends just suggested a final smash for Duster. Ultra Limp Attack.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Uh, vesper, can you figure out all the recent members that have joined? I'm kinda lost.

Heh. One of my friends just suggested a final smash for Duster. Ultra Limp Attack.
Hey...Wasn't i suppose to be moved up to Pig Mask like Ves said for gardening supporters and making the thread :chuckle: ? Anyhow Duster or Kumatora would be cool if claus didn't make it in , But that's a HUGE If on the table :laugh:.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey...Wasn't i suppose to be moved up to Pig Mask like Ves said for gardening supporters and making the thread :chuckle: ? Anyhow Duster or Kumatora would be cool if claus didn't make it in , But that's a HUGE If on the table :laugh:.
While I'd be estatic, that Duster and Kumatora, especially her, made it in, I can think of only a few arguments as to how Claus couldn't make it in, but these can easily be countered.

1. He's dead.
2. He may be subject to being a vital flashback for Lucas in the SSE.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm going to get it after Christmas or Brawl. Just in case Lucas and co. can pull off a Fire Emblem.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
For IGN users aware of the "Pros and Cons" done per day, it looks like Claus' turn is tomorrow.

(I'll explain briefly)
You give up to 5 pros and up to 5 cons to the day's character. At the end, pros are substracted from cons, and a score is given. The character is then positioned in the leaderboard.

I know Claus has the Japan-only, Spoiler and silly "Ness replacement" arguments comming his way, so if any of you are at IGN, or wouldn't mind creating an account just for this, go to the Smash boards tomorrow.

(If for some reason Claus isn't the one with the most nominations, then I'm sorry and it'll probably be the day after tomorrow)

vesperview

Smash Hero
For IGN users aware of the "Pros and Cons" done per day, it looks like Claus' turn is tomorrow.

(I'll explain briefly)
You give up to 5 pros and up to 5 cons to the day's character. At the end, pros are substracted from cons, and a score is given. The character is then positioned in the leaderboard.

I know Claus has the Japan-only, Spoiler and silly "Ness replacement" arguments comming his way, so if any of you are at IGN, or wouldn't mind creating an account just for this, go to the Smash boards tomorrow.

(If for some reason Claus isn't the one with the most nominations, then I'm sorry and it'll probably be the day after tomorrow)
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm too lazy to sign up on IGN just for that.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
While I'd be estatic, that Duster and Kumatora, especially her, made it in, I can think of only a few arguments as to how Claus couldn't make it in, but these can easily be countered.

1. He's dead.
2. He may be subject to being a vital flashback for Lucas in the SSE.
1.Explain gray fox ? This is not a valid arguement and
THE WORLD REVIVES AT THE END LULZ
2.Vital flashback ? SSE Is not a cannon game...<__<.
That wasn't really arguement's , It's obvious at this point that claus will most likely get in and all the other's are CUTZ LOL :p.(Most likely... :X.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
1.Explain gray fox ? This is not a valid arguement and
THE WORLD REVIVES AT THE END LULZ
2.Vital flashback ? SSE Is not a cannon game...<__<.
That wasn't really arguement's , It's obvious at this point that claus will most likely get in and all the other's are CUTZ LOL :p.(Most likely... :X.)
Isn't Grey Fox a cyborg? Also, doesn't Claus still die? If I recall, the world itself is purified of technology and that's it. No one is revived.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Isn't Grey Fox a cyborg? Also, doesn't Claus still die? If I recall, the world itself is purified of technology and that's it. No one is revived.
Can't remember...Anyhow doesen't the world revive and claus come back to life ? I Should also add that they all do and live a pokey-free life if i can remember correctlY ? :p.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can't remember...Anyhow doesen't the world revive and claus come back to life ? I Should also add that they all do and live a pokey-free life if i can remember correctlY ? :p.
If Claus was brought back to life, most people would know about it and there'd be less of an emotional climax at Claus' death. Also, I only know that all technology and Pokey are eliminated. Everyone else survives and goes on to recreate their world. I don't recall Claus ever being in the post-ending dialouge like Duster, Wes, Kumatora, and Flint.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
If Claus was brought back to life, most people would know about it and there'd be less of an emotional climax at Claus' death. Also, I only know that all technology and Pokey are eliminated. Everyone else survives and goes on to recreate their world. I don't recall Claus ever being in the post-ending dialouge like Duster, Wes, Kumatora, and Flint.
Incredibley safe capsule finished off pokey , And if they planned on making mother 4 (Doubt so but keep listening.) Or so then why would they show claus at the end ? Wouldn't they WANT To keep the suspense ? All i remember is that "Everyone lives a carefree life besides pokey forever" Or something like that..And even if he did die it still doesen't matter , The only arguement against him is the "MOTHER WONT GET 2 REPS LULZ" Which is quite stupid :ohwell:...
:p , This is fun <_<.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

(I'll explain briefly)

*sigh*

Claus fell behind on nominations and today was Skull Kid. What I'll do is that I'll just come and say it whenever it happens. (It lasts the entire day.)

Deception

Smash Ace
Hmm, Claus seems interesting, and I never even cared about Mother characters until I read this thread. Now I want him in Brawl and Mother 3 to come to America.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie
Why are we talking like this?

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie I like pie
Why are we talking like this?
Because, they don't want to spoil information about Claus or Mother 3, just incase people are going to play it.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Do you guys think Claus should be unlockable or not? and if so, how should he be unlocked?
STARTING ROSTER MATERIAL LULZ.

Kidding;) likely to be an unlockable (Since 2 Mother reps on the starting roster..Meh.) Probably an event match or something easy like most of the characters in melee :p.(Pretty much all.) Probably that O;.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Just a few more mins and Nsider 2 will open. <_< Anyways, I'm happy with the update because of Dark Link, Dark Fox, Dark Zelda, and Fallen Angel Pit, I hope that Claus has a dark alt to him. Heh. ^_^

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Do you guys think Claus should be unlockable or not? and if so, how should he be unlocked?
Hell yeah. He should be unlocked by beating Lucas' SE stage in 5 minutes, beating Claus in 30 seconds, and beating Porky (CONFIRMED!) in 1 minute.

I would crap myself, burst into tears, and hug my tv while laughing maniacally if I beat his stage and Claus' silohuette appeared along with the words "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!"

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Hell yeah. He should be unlocked by beating Lucas' SE stage in 5 minutes, beating Claus in 30 seconds, and beating Porky (CONFIRMED!) in 1 minute.

I would crap myself, burst into tears, and hug my tv while laughing maniacally if I beat his stage and Claus' silohuette appeared along with the words "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!"
Hm, I probably just missed it in normal conversation, but where did they confirm porky? Is he a SE boss? Do they have any pictures up?

Again, sorry if it's already came up and I missed it. :p

Card

Smash Lord
I've got a question for the Claus Supporters Community.

Now before I say it, since it'll probably strike a nerve in you all, I'm just going to say that I am as much of a Claus Supporter as the rest of you. I actually really want Claus in SSBB, (as well as Ness to get the boot) so the MOTHER series can finally get the representation and support it rightfully deserves. I for one am a huge MOTHER fan, MOTHER 2 is probably my favorite SNES game of all time, and I imported MOTHER 3 on the day it released. Unfortunately though, I have not played through MOTHER 3, since I feel that without being able to read japanese, you miss out on all of Mr. Itoi's pure design genius. So I decided to wait for a translated version to be released.

Now that that has been said and done, on to my trivial question;

How would you feel if Claus was an Alternate Costume for Lucas? (Similar to how Daisy is an Alternate Costume for Peach)

Now I underline the word feel, because I don't want to hear "That's a stupid idea, it'll never happen" and things like that. I want to know how you would feel if it were to happen. Would you be angered? content? satisfied? saddened?

I quickly made a mock-up of what I mean, and I'm sure this has been brought up elsewhere in this thread.

Obviously this isn't the in-game model, and I'm sure someone else has done a recolor of Lucas' concept art. But the fact of the matter remains that Claus being an alternate costume for Lucas is entirely a possibility. They do resemble each other (being twins and all)... and well Realistically speaking... if Sakurai could make Daisy into Peach, I'm sure he could make Claus into Lucas. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened, and Claus or the Masked Boy were no where to be found.

Now... personally I think I would feel somewhat sad at first, but I would quickly be satisfied with it. It would be the kind of costume that truly only MOTHER fans could appreciate. To all the players who have no idea who Lucas and Claus are (and it's a huge percentage of players), they'll see the costume as just a an orange-haired Lucas. But to all the MOTHER fans, we'll see it as a tribute to Lucas' brother and most trusted friend.

How about you guys?

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Well, for one I could see them giving him a Claus alt color even if the Masked Man were in the game. In fact, I'd almost 100% expect it, just because it is so easy. I mean, Mario has both a luigi and and a wario alt color scheme.

It'd work for the same reason the wario alt works: it represents a version of the character that otherwise would remain unrepresented. I don't see it like daisy at all in that the masked man is absolutely nothing like Lucas, and it's his most significant and memorable form. Whereas Daisy is generally just... well, daisy.

But if he were just an alt and nothing more... I'd be a little disappointed. Especially if that meant Mother only got one rep yet again. But I guess it's better that nothing.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Hm, I probably just missed it in normal conversation, but where did they confirm porky? Is he a SE boss? Do they have any pictures up?

Again, sorry if it's already came up and I missed it. :p
I've got a question for the Claus Supporters Community.

Now before I say it, since it'll probably strike a nerve in you all, I'm just going to say that I am as much of a Claus Supporter as the rest of you. I actually really want Claus in SSBB, (as well as Ness to get the boot) so the MOTHER series can finally get the representation and support it rightfully deserves. I for one am a huge MOTHER fan, MOTHER 2 is probably my favorite SNES game of all time, and I imported MOTHER 3 on the day it released. Unfortunately though, I have not played through MOTHER 3, since I feel that without being able to read japanese, you miss out on all of Mr. Itoi's pure design genius. So I decided to wait for a translated version to be released.
Have you ever heard of a translation guide?

I'e told people this so many times. It doesn't matter if you know Japanese. There are pictures of items, each battle menu option has an icon so it's obvious what it is, and you only miss out on SOME jokes, because a lot of them are visual. You can understand nearly all of the story just by watching cutscenes. One example of a joke are banana peels. In one part,
there's a *******a who tortures a monkey nmed Salsa, and he slips on a banana peel and falls off a tower, which I loved. Unfortunately, he comes back later, hornier (literally) than ever :(
That's a much darker example, but there are a lot of jokes that are simple, clean, and funny.

Card

Smash Lord
Have you ever heard of a translation guide?

I've told people this so many times. It doesn't matter if you know Japanese. There are pictures of items, each battle menu option has an icon so it's obvious what it is, and you only miss out on SOME jokes, because a lot of them are visual. You can understand nearly all of the story just by watching cutscenes. One example of a joke are banana peels. In one part,
there's a *******a who tortures a monkey nmed Salsa, and he slips on a banana peel and falls off a tower, which I loved. Unfortunately, he comes back later, hornier (literally) than ever :(
That's a much darker example, but there are a lot of jokes that are simple, clean, and funny.
Yes I have heard of the Translation Guide, and I actually used it to progress through the first three chapters, but then decided to stop.

Basically what ends up happening with those guides is they say "Go talk to this person, he'll tell you this, then go to do that". But what I end up missing out on is all the NPC's I can talk to, all the signs I can read, all the little tiny querks that Itoi intends for the player to experience.

There was one translation guide that I used which translated a few of the NPC's dialogue in the first chapter, but then got lazy afterwards and stopped.
For example, there was...
an area right at the beginning of the game... You had the choice to go two seperate ways. If you chose the wrong way, a message would appear saying something along the lines of "There is an ant at your feet. It looks like you might step on it, so please turn back".
To me... that is just such a tiny subtle hint at the pure genius of Itoi's mind. I feel that I miss out on so much if I can't play the game while being able to read and comprehend everything. It just seems very superficial to me when its all in Japanese.

Even another example, here are some screenshots found on Translation websites, just showing the whimsical humor of Itoi that I would most certainly miss out on with a Translation Guide.
(Note: Below are screenshots of some Mother 3 areas... don't click if you don't want to see)
http://mother3.fobby.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/screeny8.png
http://mother3.fobby.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/script01.png
http://mother3.fobby.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/script18.png

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Yea Claus is like a an opposite Lucas, Lucas is quite and gentle while Claus is Active and Tough. Or something like that. While the Maskedman had no pity nor did he care whether or not it was his brother Lucas, in fact he didn't care.
Masked Man for the Win!

Top Bottom