• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Don't have a vid, but at a smashfest recently we played Dk team vs DK team. I was the only one that had any real idea how to play DK. It was confusing and epic. Way better than our Pichu+Roy team dittos.
We also played a few more serious matches and when I teamed with someone they said that they had to go Ganon for the team. Why Ganon? Who is DK's best teammate?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I imagine DK + Ganon could be really scary to. Cargo U Air combos into his F Air... Very destructive.

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DK works well with Peach and Jiggs. A good player with most any other character will also work, I've had good success with Fox as well as Falcon.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Was that list a combo or a series of greater thans?
A punch to rollout combo would be so dirty, so uncontrollably wild.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nedech: How do you approach the Sheik match-up? It's pretty different in PAL so I was curious what insight you might have, since Sheik's aspects other than grab are explored more deeply by PAL Sheik mains than most NTSC mains (top level ones aren't ******** but I don't have as much experience against them).

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
How practical is powershielding vs falco? I know it's basically impossible unless you're turned around but has any DK been able to use it effectively? Falco and Sheik (especially needle spamming) are the only two matchups that I feel really hopeless in.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How practical is powershielding vs falco? I know it's basically impossible unless you're turned around but has any DK been able to use it effectively? Falco and Sheik (especially needle spamming) are the only two matchups that I feel really hopeless in.
I can't powershield for shizzwizz. I usually do a full hop, rising n air, which SOMETIMES baits falco to jump at you, and I fast fall a b air or u air really quickly afterward. One of my mindgames against falcos. Works sometimes. And if you're quick enough, you can usually get a grab after the b air. If you go with the u air, you can just juggle after if they're at higher damage. If they're at low damage, or 0, they'll just fall to the floor. This NEVER gets teched because it's too hard. So I just jab reset them if they're at 0 damage when i hit them. Then I get the grab and they go on a rollercoaster ride.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Toadster asked a very practical question about powershielding. But when I think powershield, and (I think) when people talk about it, they only are thinking about lazers. This past weekend DoH suggested trying to ps things like Falco dairs... is this a real option for DK? if so then that could be pretty huge and (with enough practice obviously) would make the matchup much less awful.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Powershelding attacks is just as difficult. The difference bewteen trying to powershield a laser from afar and missing it is you take 3 damage. If you miss the powershield on a Falco's incoming d-air, you eat a huge combo. Although you are going to eat huge combos anyway, so why not go for it?

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
If you're in a position where it's powershield or anything else, and you can't get away, I guess you do have nothing to lose. Shield and get hit, dodge and get hit, try to run and get hit, jump and get hit, roll and get hit... options are not DK's strong suit.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
real talk though, it depends a lot on MU. brinstar is good against like spacies/sheik/marth but not so hot against jiggs, mute city is surprisingly decent in some MUs, same for rainbow cruise. i might do some testing and report back.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Rainbow Cruise is a good one for characters not named Fox or Falco. I actually forgot about Mute City it's been so long since that was legal, it's like a pseudo FD so it's can be an alternate space animal counterpick.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Oh my worrdd it's BEN GRIMMMMMMMM!

GG's in friendlies, pools and bracket man. Had fun playing you at Zenith! Let's do it again sometime
Yo definitely, but maybe we can cut it down to once in the touney. Playing in both pools and bracket seemed a little excessive lol. Also just shout out to all u Pittsburghgiens u all seemed like really chill guys

:phone:

Top Bottom