• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alabama Brawl Power Rankings UPDATED December 19, 2009

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's fair and fine. I'm only putting Reflex where he is because of the overwhelming evidence in his favor. You may very well be better than everyone on the list, but it won't show with me til I play ya.
So... you're basing the rankings off of how well they do against you? Could I use MK against you and beat you and then get ranked higher? :O

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
So... you're basing the rankings off of how well they do against you? Could I use MK against you and beat you and then get ranked higher? :O
I use a lot of factors, but this is one of them. I don't understand how this could be controversial. We're a small pool of players making judgments based on experience. There is no established history for us to draw on for comparisons, we are making it, essentially.

It helps to witness someone play so you can see the level of competition around and experience it firsthand. So you can play against that competition on the same day and under the same conditions as that player. Hell, in my reasoning for Janitor, I said that he's an exceptional player that doesn't meet his potential at tournies. Seeing the type of pressure that a player is under is key to making these judgments.

At any rate, I haven't seen Nice1 play at all. I've seen a couple of videos with Reflex, and I was impressed, but I wasn't totally blown away. And for all the hype I hear, he lost to Will in a tourney they both entered.

For the record, you DID use MK against me in some friendly and lose, if I am remembering that smashfest correctly :p And if a player is the best in the country with MK but uses jiggs exclusively, then I wouldn't rank them as the best player in the country ;O

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
will is probably of equal skill with reflex if you ignore the fact that will wins most tournaments with metaknight and reflex beats metaknights with captain falcon :-P

but seriously if they played 10 matches, it would probably 5-5 or close. and i think george could take some games from reflex as well.

not that i disagree with marty but i'm pretty sure he's never seen anyone else in bama play

i'll update the rankings later when i get home. I think munkus's new list will move me down :-(

Will_

Smash Journeyman
But if me and Reflex meet up in the bracket at gamebox VI NO ONE will be left standing after this Falcon vs. Ness set.

j00t

Smash Champion
But if me and Reflex meet up in the bracket at gamebox VI NO ONE will be left standing after this Falcon vs. Ness set.
Exactly. Ganondorf would of interrupted and destroyed everyone by then.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'm going to win vulcan gamebox guys. neither reflex or will plays anyone that diddy is scared of :-D

as long as i can avoid olimars and lucarios on the way ;)

wait **** i forgot about georges kirby. i'm gonna go metaknight **** it

dude who counters lucario?

j00t

Smash Champion
i'm going to win vulcan gamebox guys. neither reflex or will plays anyone that diddy is scared of :-D

Isn't Diddy scared of Ganondorf? >_>

I dunno, I'll probably just come and sandbag through pools to play moar Melee.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I think DK is a solid Luc counter, maybe somewhere around 60-40.

And George's Kirby isn't one that you can just CP MK and be done with. xD

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
i'll update the rankings later when i get home. I think munkus's new list will move me down :-(
Unfortunately, yes. I have a very limited experience against Maghotic and with how he plays, so I wasn't going to put him on my list at all. But I figured I had already crossed the boundries of unfamiliarity with Nice1 and Reflex that i should go ahead and put him in. Anyway, this is just the first instillation of the list, so it'll change with time.

My reasoning for Mag being there was entirely based on the vulcanbox tourney we were at. If memory serves, he knocked Moogle out of brackets and gave me a pretty good run for my money. His diddy was phenomenial.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
@Nice 1 - hell YEAH i'm gonna wolf kick *****s. it's ON!!!
@JWT - a wolf kick is pressing up+b with wolf as your character. it's the manliest attack in the game.
@munkus - since when have power rankings EVER been about how someone does against an individual player? last i checked, it's based mostly off of tournament results. even if you WERE going off of playing individual people, I have personally witnessed Luis beating some of the best in the nation. I don't think anyone short of him and a few other people in the south stand a chance against M2K, Cort, etc. in Brawl right now.

P.S. - Janitor, Lucario has a pretty tough time against Dedede. Edgeguard him like crazy and CGs...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use a lot of factors, but this is one of them. I don't understand how this could be controversial. We're a small pool of players making judgments based on experience. There is no established history for us to draw on for comparisons, we are making it, essentially.
I'd base it off of tournament performance as a whole. Individual matches shouldn't make a big difference. For example, I beat Moogle's fox in-tourney. I'd rank him above me though. He's a better player and I think he does better in tourneys.

For the record, you DID use MK against me in some friendly and lose, if I am remembering that smashfest correctly :p And if a player is the best in the country with MK but uses jiggs exclusively, then I wouldn't rank them as the best player in the country ;O
We need to play some serious tourney matches then. ;)

who else uses Olimar? :O

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I think DK is a solid Luc counter, maybe somewhere around 60-40.

And George's Kirby isn't one that you can just CP MK and be done with. xD
my metaknight is pretty bad anyway

george has put me in the losers bracket of almost every tournament i've been to lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'd base it off of tournament performance as a whole. Individual matches shouldn't make a big difference. For example, I beat Moogle's fox in-tourney. I'd rank him above me though. He's a better player and I think he does better in tourneys.

We need to play some serious tourney matches then. ;)

who else uses Olimar? :O

its not really tournament performance specifically because overall munkus has performed better in tournaments than george but 3 of the 4 lists have george above munkus. its all about how terrifying you are as a player imo

i suppose you're theonly olimar in AL, jmoan plays olimar but i heard he quit brawl.. but literally i lose to random scrub olimars because i cant ****ing see his pikmin coming, i'll be doing a move and then all of a sudden i have 60 extra percent, and then all of a suden i'm f-smashed or grabbed wtf

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
@munkus - since when have power rankings EVER been about how someone does against an individual player? last i checked, it's based mostly off of tournament results. even if you WERE going off of playing individual people, I have personally witnessed Luis beating some of the best in the nation. I don't think anyone short of him and a few other people in the south stand a chance against M2K, Cort, etc. in Brawl right now.

Since when did I say that was the sole factor behind my decision making process? You are making some presumptions about how I go about the business of making my list. Have you ever watched Will play? Played against him? Against anyone else on this list?

My God, how long have you been playing competitively? I don't even mean for money or in smash bros., I just mean competitively. It has been a long-standing rule in my life that one of the best ways to see how a person can perform is to bear witness to it firsthand, by competing AGAINST them. You can't appreciate who that person is unless you know how good they are, you can't know unless you play them. Hell, one of the best ways to peer into the soul of a person is how they handle themselves competitively: during a game, after a game, when they win, when they lose, when they win or lose a lot, you get the idea.

You can disagree with my opinion all you like.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
My older brother plays Meta Knight now, as well as the standard Dedede...and he's always dabbled in G&W.

Roxas Org XIII

Smash Apprentice
wow haven't played brawl in a while glad to see some people still play it. I would love to play alot of you guys again soon! espically you reflex!

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Since when did I say that was the sole factor behind my decision making process? You are making some presumptions about how I go about the business of making my list. Have you ever watched Will play? Played against him? Against anyone else on this list?

My God, how long have you been playing competitively? I don't even mean for money or in smash bros., I just mean competitively. It has been a long-standing rule in my life that one of the best ways to see how a person can perform is to bear witness to it firsthand, by competing AGAINST them. You can't appreciate who that person is unless you know how good they are, you can't know unless you play them. Hell, one of the best ways to peer into the soul of a person is how they handle themselves competitively: during a game, after a game, when they win, when they lose, when they win or lose a lot, you get the idea.

You can disagree with my opinion all you like.
...power rankings are supposed to be about strictly tournament results, not how they perform against you. i disagree with your "opinion" because YOUR individual style of the rankings is faulty in many ways. how someone plays against YOU individually should have nothing to do with a PR list. someone can perform very well in overall tournaments, but just be poor against an individual style. i think a good example is XIF and Chaddd. both very good players, XIF usually out-performs Chaddd in large, national tournies. but, XIF loses to Chaddd as an individual. in a national PR, the fact that he loses to one guy would have no bearing on his ranking as a player. but, you'll run it how you want, so I'm done trying to give constructive criticism. the PRs are supposed to be as non-biased as possible. and, for the record, i've been playing competitive games, video and athletic, ever since i was a VERY young child, and have gotten very far into quite a few communities, so i'm not just spouting nonsense, contrary to what you may or may not think. i have not played Will myself, and i have not seen him play, but that should have no bearing on anything.

you may or may not consider yourself so, but i KNOW i am not the epitome of Brawl, so seeing how Will could do against me would not make any difference as to how good he is. against the BEST players in the nation, Luis has proven himself, so based on RESULTS ALONE, that should clench it. not to try and take anything away from Will, and i'm sure he is a great player, and seemed to be a cool person when i met him, but he loses in terms of proving himself, which is what rankings are about. just because measuring someone against yourself to prove worth and skill has been a main point in YOUR life doesn't make it just or fair. also, your evaluation of one's soul has nothing to do with how good someone is at a game, either. Will could be a saint, and Luis could be a scumbag, and it wouldn't change how good they are. what kind of person they are should have no reflection on their PR.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
If it was based purely on tourney placement then the list would be purely mathematical and there would be no need for a panel.

nice1

Smash Lord
...power rankings are supposed to be about strictly tournament results, not how they perform against you. i disagree with your "opinion" because YOUR individual style of the rankings is faulty in many ways. how someone plays against YOU individually should have nothing to do with a PR list. someone can perform very well in overall tournaments, but just be poor against an individual style. i think a good example is XIF and Chaddd. both very good players, XIF usually out-performs Chaddd in large, national tournies. but, XIF loses to Chaddd as an individual. in a national PR, the fact that he loses to one guy would have no bearing on his ranking as a player. but, you'll run it how you want, so I'm done trying to give constructive criticism. the PRs are supposed to be as non-biased as possible. and, for the record, i've been playing competitive games, video and athletic, ever since i was a VERY young child, and have gotten very far into quite a few communities, so i'm not just spouting nonsense, contrary to what you may or may not think. i have not played Will myself, and i have not seen him play, but that should have no bearing on anything.

you may or may not consider yourself so, but i KNOW i am not the epitome of Brawl, so seeing how Will could do against me would not make any difference as to how good he is. against the BEST players in the nation, Luis has proven himself, so based on RESULTS ALONE, that should clench it. not to try and take anything away from Will, and i'm sure he is a great player, and seemed to be a cool person when i met him, but he loses in terms of proving himself, which is what rankings are about. just because measuring someone against yourself to prove worth and skill has been a main point in YOUR life doesn't make it just or fair. also, your evaluation of one's soul has nothing to do with how good someone is at a game, either. Will could be a saint, and Luis could be a scumbag, and it wouldn't change how good they are. what kind of person they are should have no reflection on their PR.
game set........

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I could also point out that Will beat Reflex at the last tourney they were at.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I could also point out that Will got 5th at Impact Clash, which is the most recent tournament with both of us involved.

Or that the tournament we played each other had about ten entrants.

Or that his placing at FAST1 was a negligible one.

(I say this in the nicest possible way; I'm not trying to take anything away from Will_.)

nice1

Smash Lord
what happen at impact clash 2? who placed higher. i got nothing against will but he does win majority of the AL tourneys but thats just AL flex been to tourneys out of ga and al and he places very well at them. it really doesn't have to do with who can beat who it's all about how well you place in tourneys. Yea will beat flex at a small tourney but at IC2 which was a big brawl tourney where will had to play a mix of Ga, FL, and AL players. although will did very well he just didn't place past reflex

Will_

Smash Journeyman
lol my placing at FAST1 sucked.

But Reflex deserves 1st, no dispute there. And I really think Reflex was just rusty at the Ensley tournament. He hadn't played Wario in like a month when he brought it out on me.

nice1

Smash Lord
lol my placing at FAST1 sucked.

But Reflex deserves 1st, no dispute there. And I really think Reflex was just rusty at the Ensley tournament. He hadn't played Wario in like a month when he brought it out on me.
hey will are you comming to final round

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if I can get a ride. I should probably start planning.

Top Bottom