• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alabama Brawl Power Rankings UPDATED December 19, 2009

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Commentary was amazing hype.

I look forward to the next batch.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
We don't need to update this after every tournament. That's silly.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
We do have a defunct smasher on the list now, though. I'm pretty sure that one of them honorable mentions can/will/would hop up onto the list with fervor and vigor.

I have updated my list at more frequent intervals than the majority of the panel, at any rate. The new list will just put Reflex in his own tier to indicate clearly that the rest of the people are just fighting over tablescraps.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Meh, maybe one or two more tournies before updates?

I agree that this is too early. Its not fair to people that miss a single tourny if we continually update.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Everyone on the list except Reflex and Cam (who has quit smash) was at this last tourney.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Everyone on the list except Reflex and Cam (who has quit smash) was at this last tourney.
Mahg, Nu, Shaslam, all of whom are capable of getting at least 10 on the list, were not present. It wouldn't be fair if me or scourge got 10th because we were at a single tourny that they were not at.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
And the argument for many to keep scourge off the last tier list was that it would be unfair because he had only played in one tourney and thus hadn't "proven himself" or shown "consistency." Catch 22 or whatever.

Basically, yeah, it's unfair to some if you update your list after a tourney some people couldn't get to...but that's only if you take a narrow view and/or use a tourney that had an absurdly low turnout (i.e. huntsville Play N Trade).

You can either update your contribution to the panel after some arbitrary amount of tourney time has been passed or you can update it as new insights come your way. There were some questions that were unanswered when the last list went up. Some of them have been answered after this tourney, sufficiently enough that I feel that it warrants action.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
And the argument for many to keep scourge off the last tier list was that it would be unfair because he had only played in one tourney and thus hadn't "proven himself" or shown "consistency." Catch 22 or whatever.

Basically, yeah, it's unfair to some if you update your list after a tourney some people couldn't get to...but that's only if you take a narrow view and/or use a tourney that had an absurdly low turnout (i.e. huntsville Play N Trade).

You can either update your contribution to the panel after some arbitrary amount of tourney time has been passed or you can update it as new insights come your way. There were some questions that were unanswered when the last list went up. Some of them have been answered after this tourney, sufficiently enough that I feel that it warrants action.
By all means, take me off this list and put someone else like Scourge on. He has proven himself now, and I quit competitive brawl when college started. It felt like the right time because I was about to leave for Auburn and because I had achieved my goal of getting on the PR. I honestly think Scourge or Cheap should be #10 now.

There are a bunch of great players in this state that deserve some recognition. Some of them can't attend tournaments or don't perform well under pressure. Still, I think the tournament scene has completely changed from the way it was a few months ago. We have rising stars like Scourge, Slam, Nu, and Ingulit. Cheap isn't even a rising star. He's been around for awhile and has always performed fairly well at tournaments. As far as consistency goes, he's very good.

Anyways, I guess my point is that this list should be rethought. #1-#9 should not automatically be considered "safe" from being booted. I mean, look at the TCS VI results and tell me that looks like the norm for us. George and Moogle got 13th and Will got 5th. DanGR got 3rd and Scourge was 7th. Munkus was 4th! T1J apparently didn't even make it out of pools. No one should feel comfortable in their current placement on the PR after this last tournament. Moogle, George, and even Will could be knocked down while Munkus and DanGR should go up. This tournament should be a shocker to everybody.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I don't consider anyone on the list to be 'safe,' as it were. But it's not like there has been a consistent showing by people outside that list. Keep in mind that half of the top 6 placers were from out of town.

People questioned whether Scourge deserved a spot on the list. I think he proved he does. People questioned whether I deserved a spot on the list. I think that I do. But just because there were a few upsets in one tourney does not mean that the entire list should go into an upheaval, though. I fought George tooth and nail and came out on top. This was the first match we had in the loser's bracket too! It could have just as easily ended up with Munkus at 13th and George at 3rd.

Keep in mind that a placement in one tourney does not mean that a person should rocket up or plummet down on the list, there is a reason why most people only ever move one or two spots on the list at a time. You gotta earn them spots, son.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
No, this tournament proves a few things though that were called "flukes" before. One of them is that DanGR places better than George. Another is that Janitor could be in jeopardy of being kicked off the list. He performed poorly at Vulcan Gamebox V and apparently also at TCS VI. Lastly, Scourge proved that he is as good as he looked in TCS V.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I'll continue this conversation when I am not groggy as hell from antihistamines.

nice1

Smash Lord
just updated this a month ago jeez give it some time. we need more tournies also cuz one or two tourneys don't mean jack

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
All other Alabama tournies have been canceled.

That was the last one.

We're all out of tournies.

Time to start on the Minesweeper power rankings.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Serin maybe holding another Montgomery tournament sometime that more ppl need to come to. My brother mentioned holding a tournament where we live in Phenix City, AL, but he is to bago to look for a venue, so i may have to take the venue search into my own hands. I don't want to hear any lame **** like Phenix City is too Far either. I drove over 3 hours for TCS XD

bago~ lazy in spanish for you dumb *****z :p

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
No, this tournament proves a few things though that were called "flukes" before. One of them is that DanGR places better than George. Another is that Janitor could be in jeopardy of being kicked off the list. He performed poorly at Vulcan Gamebox V and apparently also at TCS VI. Lastly, Scourge proved that he is as good as he looked in TCS V.
Well... I heard that Janitor withdrew in order to correct a problem with the brackets. I don't really call that playing poorly. And George looked pretty much dead the whole time. He apparently had to stay up working the night before from 10pm - 8am. I wouldn't say he was at his best, and that you cannot dismiss him so easily. DanGR was indeed playing very well though.
You shouldn't be making all this conjecture since you weren't there, and you haven't even seen the brackets. Placing =/= definitive skill level. I mainly went to this tournament to watch matches, I don't really play Brawl that much, but even I can see you're going a bit overboard on the significance of the results.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You shouldn't be making all this conjecture since you weren't there, and you haven't even seen the brackets.
This^^^^^

Also, I thought the PR was based on tournament performance, and not skill. If the latter is the case, then I think the whole PR should be drastically changed. I know of several changes I'd make.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
It's the ability to perform in a tourney setting.

i.e. skill under pressure, not choking, etc.

EDIT: I also agree with DanGR and anomaly about the conjecture. T1 did indeed step aside because there was a problem with the brackets that could be fixed if there was one less person in the brackets. He volunteered to give up his spot.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Well... I heard that Janitor withdrew in order to correct a problem with the brackets. I don't really call that playing poorly. And George looked pretty much dead the whole time. He apparently had to stay up working the night before from 10pm - 8am. I wouldn't say he was at his best, and that you cannot dismiss him so easily. DanGR was indeed playing very well though.
You shouldn't be making all this conjecture since you weren't there, and you haven't even seen the brackets. Placing =/= definitive skill level. I mainly went to this tournament to watch matches, I don't really play Brawl that much, but even I can see you're going a bit overboard on the significance of the results.
Hence the "apparently" in my post. When I look at a tournament he hosted, I find it hard to believe that he didn't compete in singles. If he did indeed step out, then I take it back. Someone post the brackets.

I do feel bad for people if certain conditions keep them from playing at their best, but the only definitive way to prove how good you are is to do well in tournaments despite the circumstances. I do think DanGR has consistently placed better than George. Consistency is important because it shows that you didn't just get lucky or unlucky at one tournament.

I have a pretty good idea of who beat who from what DanGR and Winnar told me, so I'm not just making random conjectures.

Also, I'm just trying to open people's eyes to the fact that our list may not necessarily reflect what happens in our tournament scenes, mainly because several players have drastically increased in skill level. We had people who were supposed to be the best in the state placing 13th, while less recognized players placed much higher. The same thing happened at TCS V, which should show that it's not a mere fluke.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
bago~ lazy in spanish for you dumb *****z :p
We're American. Speak in American for us. >:[

That aside, I have a venue in mind. It would cost $100, but it's spacious, and 20 people with a $5 venue fee would cover it. No problems whatsoever.

You should try talking to me about something other than ****ing Buffalo Headbutt sometime. :p

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
<.<

If it was based on skill I'd be on there. My lack of tourney time keeps me from being top 10 and you all know it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah I gave up my spot to make up for a mistake i made doing singles brackets. I definitely made it out of pools lul.
i'm going back to handwritten brackets, tio is a pain in the ***.

and lol @ thinking that george getting last place means that he's all of sudden less good at the game.
a guy who consistently gets top 3 randomly getting last obviously means something weird happened.

what happened was he lost to rayku and became frustrated because A. rayku plays lucario, who I think you can't fight without getting annoyed. and B. george thought he should have won. at that point, george stopped caring, and he went metaknight (not his main) against munkus and lost.

munkus held his own for definitely and i'm not taking anything from him... but this is why I think we need to strongly consider the specific situations behind each placement. he fought an apathetic george, and he also beat elev8's zero suit samus (again, not his main, and not even his second best either), and in that match elev8 pretty much had him beat anyway, the shock of munkus surving a zss forward b while he was in the magnifying glass off the side of the screen obviously through elev8 off his game. again, not taking anything from munkus, it takes skill to come back from a 2 stock deficit regardless. not to mention he beat rayku, which besides the fact that it's MK vs Lucario was a legit win over a good player

i have nothing to say about DanGR, he played well and has a good metaknight. he deserved 3rd.

but i dont think george really cares what we do with his spot on the list, and I kind of don't either.

Cheap is definitely top ten, and i dont know what to think about Scourge. he beat nice1 which is pretty significant, but that's the only well known "good" player that he beat at this tournament. big lou says that scourge gave him some close matches, which is also interesting.

i dont think scourge has proven that he's top ten yet, but i dont think we have enough proof to really know what the real top ten is.

but there is definitely more skill blooming in AL. players like scourge and JMIX and Ingulit are turning heads.

Top Bottom