• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
I just played some basic brawl matches where someone playing as wario had the smash ball power up the entire time...wth? How? He was, how do you say, unstoppable/very irritating. Some people.......

silverlining

Smash Rookie
I can't even figure out how you play with Kirby anymore.Sometimes you will be in my face all the time and sometimes you'll wait for me at the other side of the stage. It was really confusing and I had to keep changing my playstyle because of it. Which is good I guess? Idk anymore. I feel stupid trying to give you kirby advice when I couldn't win the ditto half of the time.

Ike too OP, but I think you figured out how to stop him near the end.
I get juggled too much with bowser which is why I don't like using him often.
Your Zelda is LK happy, I can't even land that many in training.

Fun games regardless.
Lol! Really? I guess it's my passive playstyle trying to conquer my attempt at careful aggression, aka not being a freaking cpu charging with a headbutt. I think playing against that + BB made me wait more, but now I always remember you telling me not to be a duck so I guess I end up tottering between them subconsiously. xD If it's working then cool I guess? I would also say you won about 4/6 of the time, so yes, you won over half. :p
Ike and Ness deadly op. Goddamn.
I did feel kind of bad fighting poor old boozer but he did trump me a few times. xD

But okay. You didn't show me yer zelder so I can't comment, but I distinctly remember telling you before, go to the online waiting room and Lk the beanbag. Then once you are adept at kicking the bag, you should start landing more and more Lks on characters. Also practice her in basic brawl if you can. Especially try Lking and stuff there. :p if you still want me to learn you some Zelda someday, let me know when and we can just take a while to ditto or whatever. ^^ I'd totally have to make you a huge write up though.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Ggs! That was fun! Those bananas are really something. I have no idea how to manage them other than just slipping through them all :)
Yeah those were great games! Your Link definitely got better, maybe the best one Ive seen here since BrosUnited hung around here

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Sorry for taking so long, I'll be on in a bit. I'll host. c:
Hey, great games! They were lots of fun~
You really surprised me with your reaction time, lol. xD So many epic things happened.
Anyway, I'm trying to pick up Marth as a second main, since he looks so pretty in Smash 4. xP But really, though, I like how he feels. So, any tips? The lag was really messing me up, so I couldn't input much in those last games and expect things to work.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good games Ami. You're extremely freaking good for your age, mate. Holy crap. Only thing I could suggest for your Lucario is sidestepping less often, it got really predictable and I punished it to the best of my ability. And I'd suggest rolling instead of dropping your shield a bit more often. I've become accustomed to how long players hold their shield, and I capitalize on it a lot. I suck incredibly with Lucario, as you saw, so I don't know what much else to recommend concerning him.

I had to go because my friends just showed up. What did you mean when you changed your tag to "Help?"

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Good games Ami. You're extremely freaking good for your age, mate. Holy crap. Only thing I could suggest for your Lucario is sidestepping less often, it got really predictable and I punished it to the best of my ability. And I'd suggest rolling instead of dropping your shield a bit more often. I've become accustomed to how long players hold their shield, and I capitalize on it a lot. I suck incredibly with Lucario, as you saw, so I don't know what much else to recommend concerning him.

I had to go because my friends just showed up. What did you mean when you changed your tag to "Help?"
Oh, well, thanks, I haven't heard that one before. xD And thanks for the advice! I meant to hold my shield longer in a lot of cases, but, you know, lag. But I've never known one thing: What's the difference between sidestepping and rolling?
I wanted advice on Marth when I changed my tag. xP

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
But I've never known one thing: What's the difference between sidestepping and rolling?
I wanted advice on Marth when I changed my tag. xP
Sidestep/spotdodging is where you dodge down onstage. Roll dodging is where you dodge laterally onstage.

Oh. I'd have to play your Marth some more to give sufficiently detailed advice. It seemed pretty aggressive, as you neglected to really space your attacks or give yourself time to hit-confirm (especially with his side B).

Anyone want to play a guy with a currently impaired sense of time?

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
The Nu Smashboards Arena: Trippin' on Brawl Mechanics.

Well, on a somewhat related note, does anyone want to Brawl?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Good games dude! Wow, you use a lot of characters and they're all too good >.<
Well I actually main Peach, but I don't like dittos so that's why I didn't use her much against you because I didn't know when you were going to pick her too lol.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139

Talk about a superbowl, eh?

We can keep playing if you want. c=
All right, I'll try more Marth this time. Keep in mind that I'm just starting to play him. xP

Last edited:

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I've got 30 min before dinner. Anyone wanna brawl?

Edit: gotta get din din :/ See ya later tonight :)

Last edited:

Soulxblade

Smash Rookie
Looking to play some brawl. Anyone up for it? Reply to me.

Edit: BBL in 30 minutes.

2nd Edit: Looks like I won't be able to play tonight. Sorry.

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139

Talk about a superbowl, eh?

We can keep playing if you want. c=
Well, now I'm pretty tired of Brawling. xD The lag was messing up just about everything I was doing in those matches midway. Humiliation was also at a maximum due to excessive amounts of being beaten up by Ganondorf.
Something I'm not sure of, but it seems like when I try to SH Fair, Marth gets all wavy and jumps weird. xP I can't quite explain it, but could it perhaps be because of me using the C-Stick immediately after I SH?
Also, I know that I kept rolling toward you when I was on the ground. My biggest bad habit. :0

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Something I'm not sure of, but it seems like when I try to SH Fair, Marth gets all wavy and jumps weird. xP I can't quite explain it, but could it perhaps be because of me using the C-Stick immediately after I SH?
The jump > ghost forward DI? I get that when I try to play Marth sometimes, other characters too, to a lesser degree. Just something to do with the c-stick mechanic, I suppose. Pressing forward on the c-stick inputs a + forward as quickly as possible. When you jump, there is a small bit of delay between your character being on the ground and being in the air. If you input c-stick forward "too early", you'll get the "forward" response without the "a" because you can't attack during those few frames that you're propelling yourself from the ground. If you're lucky, you get a buffered forward aerial. If not, you get a short-hop forward with no aerial unless you input one again. At least, that's what I'm figuring. I haven't done much of a fair share of research when it comes to this game.

Anywho, good games.

With regards to the Marth: The bad dodging habit may have just been "bad" for Lucario, but it's even more terrible when it comes to Marth. That habit makes a big difference in your opponent's ability to stage control; whether or not your defensive tactics are guessable. You use too much F-smash, and you always finished your side-B even if I clearly have a shield up to counterattack once you finish. Look out for shields when it comes to using side-B, and if you see one go up, either stop the chain and try something else or use the last few hits of the chain slowly, to capitalize with a shield poke or punish them for dropping their shield/sidestepping. The former would be best, usually, since side-B is really punishable if you whiff the last hit (unless the last hit is the multi-stab, which is arguably your best option for finishing if you see your opponent shielding the move). Space all of your aerials better, don't ever f-air rush unless you have momentum going and the opponent is in the air. If they're on the ground, you're gonna get punished provided they shield it, which is almost instinctual with Marth flying at you with repeated f-airs. USE YOUR TILTS MORE. All I saw you use of your tilts is d-tilt, which is okay, but you could be so much more dangerous if you used your other tilts and jab (the latter to a lesser extent). Oh, and use n-air more than you do when you're onstage. Pretty much all of Marth's aerials are fair game for most situations save for d-air. B-air is kinda laggy on cooldown and landing lag, so with that in mind, use it more tentatively than the other aerials.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
The jump > ghost forward DI? I get that when I try to play Marth sometimes, other characters too, to a lesser degree. Just something to do with the c-stick mechanic, I suppose. Pressing forward on the c-stick inputs a + forward as quickly as possible. When you jump, there is a small bit of delay between your character being on the ground and being in the air. If you input c-stick forward "too early", you'll get the "forward" response without the "a" because you can't attack during those few frames that you're propelling yourself from the ground. If you're lucky, you get a buffered forward aerial. If not, you get a short-hop forward with no aerial unless you input one again. At least, that's what I'm figuring. I haven't done much of a fair share of research when it comes to this game.

Anywho, good games.

With regards to the Marth: The bad dodging habit may have just been "bad" for Lucario, but it's even more terrible when it comes to Marth. That habit makes a big difference in your opponent's ability to stage control; whether or not your defensive tactics are guessable. You use too much F-smash, and you always finished your side-B even if I clearly have a shield up to counterattack once you finish. Look out for shields when it comes to using side-B, and if you see one go up, either stop the chain and try something else or use the last few hits of the chain slowly, to capitalize with a shield poke or punish them for dropping their shield/sidestepping. The former would be best, usually, since side-B is really punishable if you whiff the last hit (unless the last hit is the multi-stab, which is arguably your best option for finishing if you see your opponent shielding the move). Space all of your aerials better, don't ever f-air rush unless you have momentum going and the opponent is in the air. If they're on the ground, you're gonna get punished provided they shield it, which is almost instinctual with Marth flying at you with repeated f-airs. USE YOUR TILTS MORE. All I saw you use of your tilts is d-tilt, which is okay, but you could be so much more dangerous if you used your other tilts and jab (the latter to a lesser extent). Oh, and use n-air more than you do when you're onstage. Pretty much all of Marth's aerials are fair game for most situations save for d-air. B-air is kinda laggy on cooldown and landing lag, so with that in mind, use it more tentatively than the other aerials.
Wow, thanks! Probably the most helpful advice I've ever received. xD I suppose, of course, it's because I'm new to Marth.
Then, mind if I ask another question? You said not to Fair rush unless you have momentum. In that case, how would you approach as Marth in the first place?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You said not to Fair rush unless you have momentum. In that case, how would you approach as Marth in the first place?
You don't have to rush the opponent to make an approach. You can use f-air retreats while retreating less and less distance; that is an example of approaching without rushing. Rushing characters with Marth's aerials is pretty much the only way many of them will be able to get in and do considerable damage against you without having to approach themselves. Your Marth could and should play more patiently when it comes to most of the cast. Let the enemy mess themselves up trying to play their defensive and counter-aggressive against your spacing, and learn better recognition of character options (this could take a while) in order to bait and punish them accordingly. You'll realize exactly what the opponent can do and land the first hit of your momentous chain of attacks, or take a stock.

Moreover, if you're going to try rushing at all, don't just use f-air. In my opinion, mixes of f-air, n-air, d-tilt, and (to a lesser extent) jab, are more than enough to keep your enemy at bay while you continue poking at them.

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
You don't have to rush the opponent to make an approach. You can use f-air retreats while retreating less and less distance; that is an example of approaching without rushing. Rushing characters with Marth's aerials is pretty much the only way many of them will be able to get in and do considerable damage against you without having to approach themselves. Your Marth could and should play more patiently when it comes to most of the cast. Let the enemy mess themselves up trying to play their defensive and counter-aggressive against your spacing, and learn better recognition of character options (this could take a while) in order to bait and punish them accordingly. You'll realize exactly what the opponent can do and land the first hit of your momentous chain of attacks, or take a stock.

Moreover, if you're going to try rushing at all, don't just use f-air. In my opinion, mixes of f-air, n-air, d-tilt, and (to a lesser extent) jab, are more than enough to keep your enemy at bay while you continue poking for an onslaught.
Ah, okay, thanks~
I suppose I always just had problems with approaching in the first place. I never seem to be able to be patient enough. So, with this in mind, I'll attempt to simply space correctly in a manner of a defensive approach (A term that sounds strange to my tongue). xP Thanks again!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I can play, gaborap. Mind if we play a few Link dittos to start? I don't get to ever play that match-up and I feel like it'd be fun to give it a few rounds against someone who has also mained Link in their career.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Ah, okay, thanks~
I suppose I always just had problems with approaching in the first place. I never seem to be able to be patient enough. So, with this in mind, I'll attempt to simply space correctly in a manner of a defensive approach (A term that sounds strange to my tongue). xP Thanks again!
Wow I didn't notice you were back Ami, we should brawl again sometime.

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
I can play, gaborap. Mind if we play a few Link dittos to start? I don't get to ever play that match-up and I feel like it'd be fun to give it a few rounds against someone who has also mained Link in their career.
Sure that sounds like fun. Man, you've got some endurance today huh? Okay, logging on :D

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
Ggs man. Awesome link; you the man when we ditto. Actually, you were the man through all the games. The games I won were luck :) And that ice climber win; how embarrassing. You three stocked me with one ice climber! I learned quite a bit fighting you. I have to rest now, I'm spent, lol. C ya soon :) thanks for the games!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good games Gabe. The dittos were really fun, haha. It was heartwarming to see you starting to use more z-air during our dittos. c:

Try to use fewer smashes, more z-air, and learn how to jab cancel. It'll really help you with getting grabs and psyching out your opponent to land kill moves. You also use your get-up attack too much when it comes to recovering from the ledge. Got reaaaaally predictable and I was able to bait it to continue most of my strings. Also, work on that dodging habit. I was able to capitalize significantly on that too.

Top Bottom