• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Hard not to. It's not fun losing to one of your main characters, especially when they're as good as you hope you could be, hah. Glad I could be your punching bag I guess.
I've seen the name around here before. Probably another person above my level.
Seems like no matter how long I play I'm just stuck at this point, not getting any better.
Link is my main actually... Ike Is my Second main or sub-main. I'll point out your mistakes. You need to read your foe better and always be as mobile as you can. Work on your RAR Back airs and front airs. Always remember if you do too much with Ike (like going for a dumb forward smash, and your foe starts to attack you, just sdi back and jab them (that's how I always get away from your hits and stuff). No other Ikes Sdi like me. I'll put money on it. Well, there is Dave... but that's it. Ryo is just really really good on reading his foes. Other than that he's a basic Ike with Basic tricks and sometimes he can do some nice strings when he has that motivation. Before you attack your foe, plan ahead and see what move will fit that situation. No matter how much down you are on damage, always keep your cool. You did a nice kill on me on my first stock, but, I still kept my cool and made a comeback plus the win. Remember to do that. I noticed you started to get flustered a lot... just relax and play your own game (but read your foe and you'll win with Ike each and every-time MKs included). Unless the connection is horrible... good luck!)

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Link is my main actually... Ike Is my Second main or sub-main. I'll point out your mistakes. You need to read your foe better and always be as mobile as you can. Work on your RAR Back airs and front airs. Always remember if you do too much with Ike (like going for a dumb forward smash, and your foe starts to attack you, just sdi back and jab them (that's how I always get away from your hits and stuff). No other Ikes Sdi like me. I'll put money on it. Well, there is Dave... but that's it. Ryo is just really really good on reading his foes. Other than that he's a basic Ike with Basic tricks and sometimes he can do some nice strings when he has that motivation. Before you attack your foe, plan ahead and see what move will fit that situation. No matter how much down you are on damage, always keep your cool. You did a nice kill on me on my first stock, but, I still kept my cool and made a comeback plus the win. Remember to do that. I noticed you started to get flustered a lot... just relax and play your own game (but read your foe and you'll win with Ike each and every-time MKs included). Unless the connection is horrible... good luck!)
No, I meant Ike is one of my main characters. Like, losing to someone that I use always feels bad, especially in dittos. A lot of those fsmashes were me trying to jump and fair, but wi-fi was disagreeing with me.
As for the advice, thank you. I'll try to SDI more... and work on my habit of going into 'YOLO Mode' every time I lose a stock. Reading is one of my biggest weaknesses though, and it's mainly why I can't get better. My reaction is too slow, and I'm bad at punishing stuff, but I never seem to get any better at it. I try and watch what my opponent is doing, but they almost never do what I think they're going to do, and when they do, I'll sometimes mess it up anyway.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
No, I meant Ike is one of my main characters. Like, losing to someone that I use always feels bad, especially in dittos. A lot of those fsmashes were me trying to jump and fair, but wi-fi was disagreeing with me.
As for the advice, thank you. I'll try to SDI more... and work on my habit of going into 'YOLO Mode' every time I lose a stock. Reading is one of my biggest weaknesses though, and it's mainly why I can't get better. My reaction is too slow, and I'm bad at punishing stuff, but I never seem to get any better at it. I try and watch what my opponent is doing, but they almost never do what I think they're going to do, and when they do, I'll sometimes mess it up anyway.
Wow... you could buffer a forward smash? That shows my slow your buffering really is. Here's what you need to do Mac. Go to training mode and practice your buffering with Ike for like Five minutes. Do this everyday, and your buffering will be flawless. You have to always think what your foe's best option will be, then once you read that, think of ways to really punish that read you got on your foe. Always keep practicing with reads. Never give up, just keep plying and marks my words you will understand how to read people. Sometimes always go for that hard read that will be awarding in the long run.Reads things or watch videos of other Ikes. I taught myself Ike, that's because I played Melee and stuff... you just need to get prime examples from other good Ike players. Ryo Rydle and Mr.Doom are your best bets. Blubo is another.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Wow... you could buffer a forward smash? That shows my slow your buffering really is. Here's what you need to do Mac. Go to training mode and practice your buffering with Ike for like Five minutes. Do this everyday, and your buffering will be flawless. You have to always think what your foe's best option will be, then once you read that, think of ways to really punish that read you got on your foe. Always keep practicing with reads. Never give up, just keep plying and marks my words you will understand how to read people. Sometimes always go for that hard read that will be awarding in the long run.Reads things or watch videos of other Ikes. I taught myself Ike, that's because I played Melee and stuff... you just need to get prime examples from other good Ike players. Ryo Rydle and Mr.Doom are your best bets. Blubo is another.
Buffer from what though? Shieldstun? Landing lag?
Eh, I'll try... It just feels like I'm forming bad habits whenever I'm constantly failing at reading my opponent.
I also have no Melee experience. Brawl was pretty much my starting point, and for the past two years or so I've been at the same level I'm at right now.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Buffer from what though? Shieldstun? Landing lag?
Eh, I'll try... It just feels like I'm forming bad habits whenever I'm constantly failing at reading my opponent.
I also have no Melee experience. Brawl was pretty much my starting point, and for the past two years or so I've been at the same level I'm at right now.
Just practice your buffering or warm up your fingers so you don't have that sort of trouble... You seem to not understand exactly what reading your foe means. You're MK and I'm Ike, okay?

I do a simple one two three jab combination, I know MK will react with a move because MKs die too early without Mks trading with the foe. Mostly all MKs Nado, so I will read It and counter it with a full hop Down Air which will stop MK completely. I do a jab couch jab this time, I know once I try to buffer a back air, my foe will shield, so I will jab the other direction to mind-game him and restart my jabs (then I know my foe will attack this time, so now I will do a full hop back air, just in-case my foe will shield or attack, I will be safe from a punish). with all the jab and jab resets plus the back air, I just put you to a 54% string... just from only reading your shield and jabbing to resets. I've done the same-thing to MKs as well. You'd be surprised on have easy reading your foe really is. I don't care if their top players, they still make simple basic mistakes like everyone else. So yes, work on your your foe and you see how I gave you examples, that's how you need to react to situations.

Edit: Scraket, would you like to brawl now?

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Just practice your buffering or warm up your fingers so you don't have that sort of trouble... You seem to not understand exactly what reading your foe means. You're MK and I'm Ike, okay?

I do a simple one two three jab combination, I know MK will react with a move because MKs die too early without Mks trading with the foe. Mostly all MKs Nado, so I will read It and counter it with a full hop Down Air which will stop MK completely. I do a jab couch jab this time, I know once I try to buffer a back air, my foe will shield, so I will jab the other direction to mind-game him and restart my jabs (then I know my foe will attack this time, so now I will do a full hop back air, just in-case my foe will shield or attack, I will be safe from a punish). with all the jab and jab resets plus the back air, I just put you to a 54% string... just from only reading your shield and jabbing to resets. I've done the same-thing to MKs as well. You'd be surprised on have easy reading your foe really is. I don't care if their top players, they still make simple basic mistakes like everyone else. So yes, work on your your foe and you see how I gave you examples, that's how you need to react to situations.

Edit: Scraket, would you like to brawl now?
Alright, I think I get what you mean then. Thanks for the tips, and sorry for pestering you. Hope to play you again sometime. Maybe you can help me with learning to read another time.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good games sir Scraket. Your Lucas is good at PK fire camping, but you're really really predictable when it comes to essentially everything else. Switch up your ledge recovery options more, as all I saw you do was jump the ledge or ledgehop. And they were empty ledghops. If you're going to use an aerial like f-air or d-air when you ledgehop, you're better off using it earlier on rather than later, since it gives you some unnecessary lag upon landing. You rolled or dodged after just about everything when it came to close-up encounters. I wasn't able to punish it as much as I should've, so I couldn't really convey a clear message that it's unsafe as all heck to have a habit like that. You could've easily done a retreating f-air or n-air in lieu of those rolls and spotdodges.

And I know I'm not the only one to say this, but I think it needs reiteration: Dial back on the use of up smash. In some instances, it seemed like the only criteria for you using up smash was that the opponent was above you. There are far better options for punishing enemies in just about every scenario you used up smash. If you're going to use it at all, you have to at least be more tactical about it. If someone sees you charging an up smash near the ledge, their first instinct isn't likely to be a generous one. Up smash is just a really hard punisher, and even that's debatable. Throwing it out and hoping it hits is negligent, and makes Lucas one of the most welcoming targets for scolding.

I only saw you use your pivot grab once in all of the games we played. There came many times where it would've been a good option and given you an advantage in terms of stage control. Utilize it more often. You use jabs okay, but you don't seem to consider anything when you use it besides the fact that I'm near enough. If you see a shield go up, that's a good sign that you shouldn't finish with jab 3, at least. Unless your enemy is near the ledge and you recognize the opportunity to make them slide off. Also, don't get comfortable using z-air recovery so regularly. Not to encourage using PKT2 to recover, but if your tether gets edgehogged, PKT2 is your only hope. Conserve your second jump more often, as it can really help you out in a fix when it comes to being offstage. I'd say try to recover a bit above stage level. Being below that while offstage as Lucas is almost always suicide if you're dealing with someone remotely decent at ledgeguarding.

Not sure what else to add, but I suppose that would be enough to digest. The Ness vs. Lucas games were more entertaining than I thought they'd be. I can't even into Ness for the life of me.

silverlining

Smash Rookie
Its fine, lol who needs sleep when you can play Smash :p
Great games! Your Peach is so fun, that tilty combo you always did was impressive. Hyp is right though, you do play quite aggressive. At least an aggesssive Peach is scary.
And sorry, but at the moment I just really dislike battlefield, the platforms drive me insane. When i want to go through them, I land on them, and then I start frantically ducking trying to drop down and nope. It's epecially nope with Peach, she's just so floaty. I guess I should practrice with it more.

D

Deleted member

Great games! Your Peach is so fun, that tilty combo you always did was impressive. Hyp is right though, you do play quite aggressive. At least an aggesssive Peach is scary.
And sorry, but at the moment I just really dislike battlefield, the platforms drive me insane. When i want to go through them, I land on them, and then I start frantically ducking trying to drop down and nope. It's epecially nope with Peach, she's just so floaty. I guess I should practrice with it more.
Good games Silver :) Great Toon Link, ZSS and Peach (those are the only characters I remember you playing as :p) and the agression problem....I know, im not exactly the most patient person ever, but I will try and work on it. And yes, Battlefield can get a little annoying with Peach's floatyness and the platforms :p We need to play again soon :)

silverlining

Smash Rookie
Good games Silver :) Great Toon Link, ZSS and Peach (those are the only characters I remember you playing as :p) and the agression problem....I know, im not exactly the most patient person ever, but I will try and work on it. And yes, Battlefield can get a little annoying with Peach's floatyness and the platforms :p We need to play again soon :)
So my others weren't memorale enough? Hmph.
.... jk. xD
I think it works with Peach actually! I would say to stay how you are, work on glide tossing and stuff though. I didn't punish it well but try to think of different combos other than turnip->fair, it's predictable since everyone does it. xD I'd suggest looking up some other of her ATs too. I dug out this video, no doubt it's probably in the Peach boards somewhere as a project, but - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBWef-vV8cY The text may be obnoxious, but I think it's a good video, I'd suggest you try learning a few. Even if you youtube/google it, you'll find a bunch more of good stuff you can try! I hope it can help.
We have to certainly do more peach/daisy matches soon! Until we play again then, my friend!

Anyone still lookng for brawl? :p

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Anyone up for some 2v2? I need two more people.:bluejump:

@XDanDan612 Okay i'll add you, When we start, be red team

ONE more person for dubzz!?

Last edited: