• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Kevin sure does love to blame people's inactivity on League instead of a relatively dormant Smash scene and steadily growing disinterest. :]

Also: It's going well, thanks for asking! My AD characters are coming along nicely and I'm feeling progressively more comfy in different roles. Being decent enough to have fun playing with all the League homies is pretty cool.

BEHR

Smash Hero
i dont think theres disintrest. o 3o

mike <3

johnny zguuuhhh

cam *** u

*****bye*****byenigabye*****bye*****byenigabyebiggabye*****bye*****bye*****bye*****bye*****bye**********bye

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I have no idea how many tourneys there have been this period LMAO

probly 2 NCSUs and that ECU, am I correct?

if so we updatin this weekend I have some time

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
man everybody bout to be off the rankings. this is gonna look funny.

edit: if we actually seed solely off of these rankings....well it probably won't change much. similar matchups will probably happen, but they'd just happen due to opposite seeding lmao.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol might give it til the Charlotte tourney/last NCSU actually just so we can have a last hurrah before winter break sets in.

Yeah let's do that it's better that way.

Also vote for Melee GUYS

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
So question about the PR's- why not do it as a ranking ladder where you can challenge up and move up spots on the ladder by beating the people higher ranked than you? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me like everyone in state would see each other often enough to play those fairly frequently.... idk the idea of ranking ladders to rank players is just interesting to me. Thoughts?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
The main problem is that the people in our state who are or probably should be ranked top 10 hardly ever go to any of the same tournaments or go to tournaments at all.

But yeah, what Lucas said too. You would think tournaments might weigh more to players because of what it takes to get into the situations where those matches happen (like having to go through a loser's bracket). But I also can see why people might value money matches higher in their minds because things like pride and direct response to incensitive (there is literally money on top of the tv).

But whatever, I can't even believe my page for this on SWF hasn't changed in weeks. EDIT: 10/19 wowwww

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
In the current system, tourney matches do weigh more, but money matches are still strongly considered when evaluating placement on the PR. It can totally make or break you in a few spots, given how tough some of these placements are to figure out.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Yeah, basically, even from before I kinda stopped going to as much stuff the problem that has ALWAYS plagued our rankings was just insufficient data, especially once you get to the 6-10 spots. I used to spend a lot of time nagging people to come to stuff so that we'd not have that problem and it might raise attendance for 1 or 2 tournaments but then went back to the same way as before. Just became more effort than it was worth.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
takes the effort of everyone to stay motivated. the more people give up the less motivation there is.

I think we could be a huge melee state at any time, we had like 50 or something entrants of NC-only people at an NCSU WTF

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
People aren't hungry enough here. The mindset is respectable here to an extent. The whole brotherhood this and bro love just wanna have a good time thing is cool but no one really cares about being better than the other. Until that happens then its probably not gonna be able to be a huge melee state consistently.

$mike

Smash Ace
People aren't hungry enough here. The mindset is respectable here to an extent. The whole brotherhood this and bro love just wanna have a good time thing is cool but no one really cares about being better than the other. Until that happens then its probably not gonna be able to be a huge melee state consistently.
Well, I hate everyone in the state. This is why I'm good.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
LOL the BIGGEST issue isnt that we dont care its because the way we seed is so flawed and the talent gap between players is just TOO wide

Seeding in general is stupid but whatever.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
how is seeding flawed? and what do you recommend we do about a talent gap? amateur bracket?

why is seeding in general stupid? isn't it designed to give everyone a reasonable shot at figuring out their skill level in a relatively efficient tournament format?

$mike

Smash Ace
LOL the BIGGEST issue isnt that we dont care its because the way we seed is so flawed and the talent gap between players is just TOO wide

Seeding in general is stupid but whatever.
The biggest issue is people honestly believing the ideas presented in this post.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i think we do have a couple of fairly wide skill gaps, but i don't see what's wrong with our seeding. i think the fact that we have those skill gaps is pretty irrelevant.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The reason people have a beef with seeding is because you are setting up the best players to win, FORCING a huge upset to have anything other than the "expected" happen. If you randomize the bracket, EVERYBODY has the same chance of playing the tough players, not just the scrubs of each round (1 and 2 will play the easiest people in the round, assuming no upsets, in a seeded bracket)

I know in FL locals people didn't want me to seed becuase it was setting up me vs seibrik GF every time, but then when I stopped the brackets would help the worse players get farther just like I would set me/Seibrik/MVD/Riddle to do.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
The reason people have a beef with seeding is because you are setting up the best players to win, FORCING a huge upset to have anything other than the "expected" happen. If you randomize the bracket, EVERYBODY has the same chance of playing the tough players, not just the scrubs of each round (1 and 2 will play the easiest people in the round, assuming no upsets, in a seeded bracket)

I know in FL locals people didn't want me to seed becuase it was setting up me vs seibrik GF every time, but then when I stopped the brackets would help the worse players get farther just like I would set me/Seibrik/MVD/Riddle to do.
oh my god eric this this this this this

@ Mike Scratch

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so you want the results to make it so that worse players get farther?

o....k.

i didn't know people liked the idea of having an easy side of the bracket and a hard side of the bracket potentially, but as long as things go in your favor, who cares right?

i just think it sucks when people lose first round and they get something like twitch first round losers because we randomed the bracket and he got l0zr first round or something dumb, but whatever.

Top Bottom