• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
sheik
peach in mario party
meemee in super monkey ball
julia in tekken LEO IS NOT A GIRL WTFFFFF
chun in ssf4 (if i can ever get in some practice)
18 in dbz games
and
Valkyries in brood war - YAVHOR

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Mario(started with him in smash and moved to Falco....also play him in other games like MP)
Naruto
Goku
Fox(in starfox games)
Ryu
Kilik
Lloyd

uhhhh you guys get the point lol

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
In mortal kombat i played scrop/ sub zero

in sf i played ryu and balrog ( these are back when the games were on sega genesis btw, i havent played a 2d fighter until mvc3.)

in smash 64 i played cap falcon and fox

in melee i played fox/link/shiek/ and now jiggz

in brawl i play falco/ mk/diddy/ snake/ wario

so basically... the only pattern is that i cant just use ONE chararacter

that is why i have so much fun with marvel. It lets you pick 3 :)

THE SAME THREE THAT JWONG STOLE IF ANYONE REALIZED!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i saw a few matches of rockcrock simply imposing his will on his opponents sometimes. it's an interesting concept, to play ganon as aggressive as he does. it interests me. i've also decided not to play friendlies in order to win, or at least to not pick my opponents with the expectation of winning. I've done that for far too long, and haven't gotten nearly enough matches against players like yay, dop, dj's sheik, etc.

there are certain things that lead into grab that I didn't really realize did so until now, and certain levels of conditioning i hadn't really thought about or considered until this tournament. i've realized that i haven't been using quite the right hitbox for my uair edgeguarding, and if i get it out earlier, much more effective things can be happening off the edge for me. far too many people fall for late uairs, and not enough people fall for fulljump dairs. once i get my axes right for dthrow (almost half the time i try to dthrow initially, i get a side throw.), i feel like things will change. i'll probably start buffering with the c-stick.

i also learned that teams is pretty easy with a teammate you're comfortable with.

i also learned that pushing buttons isn't nearly as hard as it appears. there was a 2 hour time where my fox was doing some serious ****. foxy even said i was doing real fox stuff.

i can make ganon feel like falcon, as long as your DI is bad enough. uair chains across the stage are so cash.

and finally, i've learned that the ganon ditto is not hard. i think i can finally play ganon better than a general good player who happens to enjoy ganon dittos. (not necessarily you, kevin, but...ya kno)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Playing against good players teaches you many things as well. Like DI/teching things. You know, things I still kinda suck at. <.<
You also get to weed out which of your ideas you've been testing out as effective or not though(somewhat silly at times due to niche knowledge of good players lol).

I learned from my puff experience and general play lately to vocalize the general rule that, in smash, the expectation of a move is scarier than actually doing a move itself at times. I think Ganon benefits well from this rule, so I hope it helps. =)

Also lol Ganon dittos

teh teh boom uair uair edgeguard =D

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I actually somewhat sorta agree with Josh on the combo video thing.

Taj's video was good, but Dark's vid legitimately made me yell out "WHAT THE GAY" during some parts.

And I HATE Fox combo vids. That's saying something.

MacD

Banned via Administration
idk if i should respond to you guys or not but i guesssssss i will

obviously dark's combo vid is going to make you go WTF cause he's using a level of tech skill against real people you've never seen before, so obviously it's gonna be more innovative than a marth combo vid, i mean really, what do you expect

kinda like when armada came over here for the first time, new levels of peach and everyone was like WTF, and his combo vid would have been far more innovative than like a sheik one that just came out

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
His tech skill by itself makes people wtf lmao. He's much harder to keep up with for me than SW/Lovage.

Armada's combo video wasn't even that hyped btw. Man Peach suuuuuuuucks

obviously what do you expect

MacD

Banned via Administration
his combo vid wasn't hyped though, because everyone watch the vids and saw him at genesis, so the WTF was all in person throughout the whole tourney

and he never really had a super good/special combo vid made, just fan boys doing things, nothing that was meant to be super special

but yes peach sucks, idk how we get to 2nd at nationals or 1st in locals

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganondorf.

Glad you learned a lot chris, I don't feel like I learned that much lol, except rockcrock isn't to be taken lightly in dittos (not that I did this, but his speed did overwhelm me occasionally). I played some huge names at pound and no one ***** me like he did. That being said that whole set was filled with unfortunate exchange losses for me lol. Like my spacing was a 9/10 and his was 9.5 or 10 almost every time which gave him a lot of momentum. Gotta practice up!

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
obviously dark's combo vid is going to make you go WTF cause he's using a level of tech skill against real people you've never seen before, so obviously it's gonna be more innovative than a marth combo vid, i mean really, what do you expect
I mean exactly. Shadow Sword was really solid, really quality Marth combos but it wasn't anything I hadn't seen a lot before though the actual strings were very impressive.

Dark's video on the other hand is just...wtfffff at some many parts.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
okay well darks combo video was cool in the sense of "i can mash buttons super fast in the correct sequence resulting in something happening on the screen really fast"

oh okay well that basically makes you a competitive guitar hero player.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
No, it makes you a competitive Smash player.

Just because it's tech skill doesn't mean he's not still reading, reacting, predicting and executing, which is the same premise for being good at any other game. Someone being technical doesn't mean you should dismiss their playing as mindless. I promise, it's not. Just because you can't see it, don't understand it, can't do it, or all of the above is not grounds for hating on someone who is extremely talented.

Also, even though Guitar Hero is a trash rhythm game, I'm glad you brought it up. High end rhythm games require far more physical and mental endurance than Melee, probably because the two become connected. It's still hard as **** (IIDX/Pop'n/ITG/PIU anyone?) and unbelievably impressive, AND you can't practice as long before your body completely gives out.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's all opinion, but I don't think it's fair to trivialize what Dark does to support your preference lol.

If it were that easy to do then there wouldn't be 400million views on that vid lol.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
im not saying its easy. im not saying its trivial.
oh it's easy? that explains why 90% of smashers (or hell, just fox mains) can turn around waveshine a ganondorf midmatch, or shine bair consistently, or double shine consistently, or do extremely fast cross up shorthops to pivot jabs, or waveshine a spacie.

you're right, pressing buttons is extremely easy.

disregard this. misread dylan's post.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
okay well darks combo video was cool in the sense of "i can mash buttons super fast in the correct sequence resulting in something happening on the screen really fast"

oh okay well that basically makes you a competitive guitar hero player.
This is called "trivializing".

Not trying to bite your head off about this but your prejudice towards tech skill/technical players is absurd.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
To be fair, it didn't look like Taj recorded for his video(as in they probably had to find older YT clips whereas most people like TAI recorded specifically for their video....I say this because it looked like a birthday shoutout video to Taj so it would've been a surprise) so it's naturally going to look worse when put on display.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I just watched taj's video. there was some pretty creative stuff in there. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
LOL ocean did you read my post? I said it wasnt easy. Its just a diffrent skill set.

Though I do find it highly over praised in the community

for instance, just because a peach player plays peach or a puff player plays that character they are called gay or ******s or that there way of playing the game is wrong.

Is this not the same prejudace you speak of josh?

There is no part of me that wants to be as technical as dark, or sw, or anyone consider one of the most technical players, I would haver spend my time on more valuable parts of the game.

Im just saying Ive heard josh say some of the meanest **** ive ever heard in my life about peach players, and puff players.

Yet when i make a comment about a tech skill video in the negative sense half the state turns on me.

oh well, thats melee.

Top Bottom