• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
To be fair, it didn't look like Taj recorded for his video(as in they probably had to find older YT clips whereas most people like TAI recorded specifically for their video....I say this because it looked like a birthday shoutout video to Taj so it would've been a surprise) so it's naturally going to look worse when put on display.
This is a good point. It was amazingly good for a random Birthday present video. It was amazingly good period.

taj's video was ****. its not meant to compete with darks video. its like apples and oranges lmao.
Exactly so I have no idea why anyone started to?

LOL ocean did you read my post? I said it wasnt easy. Its just a diffrent skill set.

Though I do find it highly over praised in the community

for instance, just because a peach player plays peach or a puff player plays that character they are called gay or ******s or that there way of playing the game is wrong.

Is this not the same prejudace you speak of josh?

There is no part of me that wants to be as technical as dark, or sw, or anyone consider one of the most technical players, I would haver spend my time on more valuable parts of the game.

Im just saying Ive heard josh say some of the meanest **** ive ever heard in my life about peach players, and puff players.

Yet when i make a comment about a tech skill video in the negative sense half the state turns on me.

oh well, thats melee.
Dark demonstrates a lot more than random tech skill in that video. The different skill set argument doesn't really work because he's applying just about every skill demonstratable in a combo video and shows an immense knowledge of game mechanics and ways to exploit them.

Hyper technical Peach's are super fun to watch. Armada/Vanz have insane shield pressure/FC games. Xif, Dop, The General, Conner etc all do crazy fun stuff to see with Peach. Unfortunately most Peach players only know how to Dsmash spam, dash attack and FC's.

Also, most Puff/Peach mains I've seen can ONLY play Puff/Peach. Almost any techie spacie player can play almost everyone.

Also, no one is turning on you. Relax.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
The difference between a good and bad Peach; the use of Dsmash as a panic button rather vs a legitimate combo tool.

I've gotten to like Dsmash spam Peach now. So easy to bait, hence why good Peach's don't really have to.

EDIT: Alex, I will happily retire your Mewtwo anyday. <3

MacD, I see you there standing on platforms Dsmashing. Tell me how wrong I am.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Dark demonstrates a lot more than random tech skill in that video. The different skill set argument doesn't really work because he's applying just about every skill demonstratable in a combo video and shows an immense knowledge of game mechanics and ways to exploit them.
any noob can make a combo video if they are technical enough and playing against other noobs

dark's vid was a lot more of "hey look what crazy **** i can do to real people with tech skill" (which is the point of the video as far as i'm concerned) more so than "look at my reads and how i can combo." to say he demonstrates a lot more than random tech is kinda hard to argue

the vid was def a WTF factor, but you can't deny the fact that the main WTF is the tech skill and that the combos are semi auto combos by the tech skill he has. i mean i remember one SS combo from genesis where he combo'd the person, and he read a tech/spot dodge by taunting right in front of his face

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOL you half read me, but you incorrectly read the point of my point pp... though i'm tempted to do a post on that too.... hmmmmm

aka i didn't see those posts till i finished this one

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I was bad at understanding most non-Falco characters for a good while.

I think it just depends on a level of focus you decide to dedicate to the game/multiple characters, regardless of main. Most spacie mains tend to play more characters but I doubt that has to do with tech skill proficiency lol.

MacD

bleh, i can't find the grev combo video they made when they first started, they were all noobs but the combo vid looked nice and made them look really good

plur said it well, i mean in reality, you can break down a lot of characters to like a few move sets

i think i used all my energy on that last post haha, idk what else to say, oh foxes go into panic usmash mode son

people just complain about peach cause it's easy to CC dsmash and "dsmash is broken," to which i say, learn to ****ing DI, you can take 1 hit even at 0, hell i can get punished if i dsmash people at 0 and they DI

MacD

oops, i deleted that out of my post

he was def better than grev was like 2 years ago haha, but to use that video and say "he is good, did more that just tech skill" is bull crap

didn't mean to bring him down as a player, but you can't just say he is amazing/super smart because of that combo video

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
He has a lot of potential though, if nothing else really. He has the immense difficulty of controlling one's character in 2011 down and at a better rate than anyone has seen prior to his video. Since he only has the mental game to work on now, that makes his life much easier than that of a typical Fox main, as mid-match tech skill is probably more habitual for him than for most Fox players.

That said, I think it's fair to say that he needs to develop it more if weon-X is still considered better than him and is certainly not as technical. Dark has improved tons lately, so that comparison could be stale by this point and there's no way of actually knowing how good he is.

Also, to use an example to support Dark: Ice, the rising German player, lives in a small village. There's nothing to do so he just practices tech skill all of the time. He has become ridiculously technically proficient with several characters and took 2 games off of Amsah in Sheik dittos in their set at BEAST(huge EU tourney last month). Maybe there's a parallel to how much that hard work is paying off for the both of them?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
you can retire me all day but im still gonna let you know
Looking forward to this because it means you will be in the same place as me and that is always good.

define "can play" please
As in can play with most of the cast more comfortably because spacies teach you the most complicated, tight timing windowed, input intensive versions of all advanced movement/tech stuff.

To be fair, you could say that most falco mains just know how to laser spam, Dair shine stuff and utilt.

No troll
You definitely could and I agree. Most Falco mains are bad.

I was bad at understanding most non-Falco characters for a good while.

I think it just depends on a level of focus you decide to dedicate to the game/multiple characters, regardless of main. Most spacie mains tend to play more characters but I doubt that has to do with tech skill proficiency lol.
I agree with the first part. Not sure I can follow you on the latter part. Elaborate?

plur said it well, i mean in reality, you can break down a lot of characters to like a few move sets

i think i used all my energy on that last post haha, idk what else to say, oh foxes go into panic usmash mode son

people just complain about peach cause it's easy to CC dsmash and "dsmash is broken," to which i say, learn to ****ing DI, you can take 1 hit even at 0, hell i can get punished if i dsmash people at 0 and they DI
Yes, you can. Luckily high level Melee (except for Cactuar fox <3) is pretty good about making you utiliize larger chunks of your moveset to maximize efficiency. Hence why I love this game. I hate the way most people "combo" aka they don't.

Panic mode Usmash is annoying but does not beat spot dodges, shield poke (normally), or do x3 damage if you crouch cancel.

There are a few situations where I can't really see how to take at least two hits. Also the nature of fast falling during aerials makes it super to get sucked in and ***** before you can react (I DI/tech out of Dsmash a lot lately so I know it's possible, just extremely difficult to react to always). Wavedash back Dsmash scraped Kevin a few times in GF vs Armada for that reason.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
peach's downsmash "The Blender" is just so cheap. Even if I crouch cancel it nothing helps.
Nah, there is nothing cheap at all about a move that can be done laglessly after any given aerial that can do 50%+ off one input. Nothing at all.

EDIT: Alex's trolling is my favorite part of SWF, real talk.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Josh: Every character tends to focus on certain skillsets/tech requirements that all vary in a unique way for that particular character. When you think so much to try and be successful with said character, then it can become difficult to adjust to other characters because your foundation as a smash player comes from your foundation with that character as well. It's almost like working from the ground up again(which is why I say there's a lot of focus/dedication involved).

Anyway, spacie tech skill is probably easier to transfer since they require more inputs on average than any other character so it's more of a winding down to transfer over(not to mention that putting all of that time into spacie tech tends to mean you could have time to devote to other characters as well). Peach, on the other hand, has rather specific tech skill(FC'ing is still super weird to me lol) and it takes a very different understanding of smash and tech skill to control other characters(I once heard of Doll thinking every other character was slow when he played them because FC'ing is faster or something).

MacD

Panic mode Usmash is annoying but does not beat spot dodges, shield poke (normally), or do x3 damage if you crouch cancel.

There are a few situations where I can't really see how to take at least two hits. Also the nature of fast falling during aerials makes it super to get sucked in and ***** before you can react (I DI/tech out of Dsmash a lot lately so I know it's possible, just extremely difficult to react to always). Wavedash back Dsmash scraped Kevin a few times in GF vs Armada for that reason.
i just hate making this argument with people, because in the end it comes down to "dsmash is one move and has the potential to do 60%" and that's that

i don't have the energy/thoughts to want to make this argument but yes i agree, it is one move that can do lots, but at the same time, it's super punishable and easy to bait as you said, ergo why noobs who do it may beat other noobs, but lose to everyone else in the end and why people don't do it as they get better

and things like wd back > dsmash, that's basically getting a read or reacting, i mean i could take one dair from falco for doing something stupid/getting read, and end up taking 50% even if i DI well

welcome to melee, it sucks

MacD

obviously

Nah, there is nothing cheap at all about a move that can be done laglessly after any given aerial that can do 50%+ off one input. Nothing at all.
and see, as i was making my post, he posted exactly as i said everyone does, it's so annoying

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i mean thats why everyone should play brawl. everyone who cares about tech skill gets to sit in a corner and play diddy dittos by themselves, while people who actually care about the game get to have fun in the other corner with mk dittos. brawl4life

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I think people need to stop being mad

Melee is melee and that's why we love it

everything in Melee is awesome

expect for phantom hits

fuuuuuuuuuck phantom hits
I wish I had a GIF of the last stock of your match vs Theo during the crew battle where you died from a Dthrow Tipper at 0% with Peach.

EDIT: Also, I don't know who is mad? I'm just killing my last few minutes at work. haha
Me too.

Id make theo sig it.

I should have just marth dittoed him
Reasons why all of this bull**** is irrelevant:

I **** all of you idc matchups w/e u all are terrible

MacD and PP **** me. Badly. Like, Ive got no chance.

In the same way, they **** both of you. Badly. You've got no chance. So leave the bull**** to them to discuss cuz their opinions actually matter. If you want your opinion to matter, win more. Otherwise why the **** are you disagreeing with macd? if u cant get through the blender, there is a problem with you. there is a problem with you.
there is a problem with you
problem with you
with you
With YOU
WITH YOU
YOU
YOU
YOU

:woman:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon is so ****ing broken. Once he his you, it is insta-death even with perfect DI. Not to mention he's ungimpable and has the best and fastest approach in the game.

Top Bottom