• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-The no longer official Toon Link Video Critique Thread- *ignore this thread*

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Oni the Wolf- I saw ur match against the Link. I can tell u have improved but u used too much dair at the beginning and keep doing random smash attacks. Use more bombs and use them more strategically. Also, learn to short hop bomb pull arrow cancel, it helps a lot when you want to pull a bomb out and stay relatively safe. Nice returning boomerang to pivot grab at 3:12 in the video. :) The ending is absolutely ridiculous lol.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I'd like either one of the two Fox matches and the one vs. MK critiqued if you would =o

2nd fox vid's a 3 stock so I dunno if it's viable.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Saw the first fox vid-

Nice stage spikes. At 0:29 instead of avoiding ur oponent's invincibility u shoot an arrow and get punished for it. Never do grounded arrows against upclose opponents especially if they have invincibility frames :S. on to the second fox vid.

Second fox vid says its no longer available.

THe mk vid-
At 0:28 u zaired the wrong way.
0:33 u shot an arrow right in front of him and grounded.
0:41 bad zair spacing.
0:49 u approached with an angled down boomerang. Bad move.
1:33 risky risky risky never try to tether hog mks upB NEVER. U WILL get stage spiked u were lucky this time :p.
1:51 u grabbed the wrong way and get naired.
2:58 U got stuck >_>.

Overall, a decent tink but u make too many mistakes that cost u a lot especially with ur arrows. Dont do grounded arrows to stop approches if u want to stop approaches go with bombs, zair, nair. And dont use arrows upclose not even arrow cancelled.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Odd... never thought I did so many grounded Arrows, usually always try to do QD's, but you're right.

also the 2nd fox vid should work O_o, it does for me, but you could go into my channel and look for it, Slash vs. Zaya 2

TheJerm

Smash Champion
TLM, approaching with an angled down boomerang is good. Well, if your coming from a SH.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
This may be a bit selfish since I just got critiqued, so I'm willing to go after DTL and Oni, but I feel these two games vs. Rust's Olimar show more of what my TL is about than my sets with Zaya and TDL, since I felt Zaya had given up at that time and me and TDL hated wifi with the input we were getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOKju7VUGlc&feature=channel vs. Rust 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurYGlGqnTk&feature=channel vs. Rust 2

the only standing arrows in there is explainable and it's in Rust 1, wasn't sure how to address that situation.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
DTL-

The first video-
U start the fight without even moving and then u pull a bomb on the ground when u could have started with a SH bomb pull quickdraw. After u pull out the bomb u 2 (the snake too) start rolling around like crazy. OMG my eyes hurt rolling with tink is bad bad bad.

0:23- u got cornered. Auto bad zair spacing when cornered, so when ur cornered: Zair is not the best option since u wont be able to space it well.
0:38- jumped out of the ledge yet again with zair. Got punished for ur predictability.
2:37- I assume that empty jump with the bomb was an attempt at a JC throw. Learn to Jc throw properly its great for regaining spacing.
2:47- Who u throwing the bomb at? Another failed JC throw.
2:53- Who u zairing?
2:56- Rolled right at him after zair and got utilted.
3:40- Horrible zair spacing. U get shield grabbed.
4:18-4:19- Predictable much? U should try mixing ur get ups to the stage.

Nice ending though. That snake was so predictable and rolled so so much man. I also saw no mortar slides from him. This isnt a snake vid critique thread but i just had to say it...

Second vid-
0:48- Was that luck?
1:41- Another cornered zair.
1:52- A close up arrow u get ftilted.
3:07- Predictable getup yet again...and u get utilted yet again...
3:16-3:18- U start spotdodging like crazy. Keep ur cool man. That doesnt mean dont spotdodge just dont do it wildly :S.
3:27- Kill percents u shouldve followed up zair with usmash not dash attack. U could have grabbed and started pummeling him to refresh everything too.
3:33- Awful zair spacing u eat 20 dmg from a ftilt.
3rd stock's start- Why oh why do u keep doing zair if everytime u do it u eat a dash attack. Stop being so predictable with it. U ate so much dmg because of predictability alone.

Third vid-
U need to pummel when u grab DTL so that u refresh ur other moves. U got a grab 3 times at 100+ percents. That means u could have gotten at least 3-4 pummels in to refresh our other moves. Instead, u simply uthrowed without not even one pummel.
Otherwise, this vid is the better one of the three.

DTL-
U need to work on your bomb pull quickdraws and jc throws. Two techs that allow you to pull out bombs safer and space better respectively. Also, work on your predictability. U were way too predictable at times especially when getting back to the stage from the ledge. Ur zair followups were poor. Mix it up in a while instead of always nairing after zair u should also throw in a grab once in a while to mix things up if nair is getting shielded. U also need more usmash when trying to get the kill. It was ur least used attack in all the matches and that says something...Good job though. U have a good tink keep working on it.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8tvkUnlbus&fmt=18 vs Kirby (Not my best peformance, I know)

If it sais the video is unavailable, then keep refreshing the page.
Ok, get I know how to fight kirby. My friend is prlly the second best kirby in the nation. Anyways.. I only watched the first one but here's a few tips. If your gonna zair kirby, make sure its low to the ground and well spaced. You did neither. Those Sh nairs everywhere wasnt really doing much. Also, dairing randomly from that high up wasnt smart. Kirby's fsmash kills us early. I suggest spaced bairs, boomerangs, and up airs.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
And also bombs Jerm ;). Never fsmash, it is not recommended to fsmash in any matchup (except for punishing very laggy moves which are not often seen in competitive play) but even less so in the kirby matchup. His bair is beast and his fsmash is ********. I would know since I play against kewk's kirby all the time :S. Beware of random kirbycides. They can easily cost u the game.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Well, TL, I dont like to use bombs too much on very floaty arial charcters, like kirby, and wario. They always catch them. But sometimes I throw one for them to catch, then a boomerang right after to it blows up in there face when they throw it lol. And yea, forgot, dont fsmash kirby, he easily gets out of it.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Oh I meant that part where u empty jumped the snake fsmash. I asked if that was because u saw the fsmash coming or if it was luck u got up that way.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Nah... I just saw it coming. Whenever Max (Kenji) Does a F-Smash, I like to just jump over it. I believe I do it at least twice in the videos.

Do you see any potential in my Tink? I have some major problems with spacing (only against DDD and Snake... I hate them...) but is it on the right track?

BTW I can JC throw perfectly consistently. I have no idea what I was doing there. I'll get some new vids up taking your advice. Also, about the whole U-Smash thing...I love the move and it is his best smash, but in the beggining I got so reliant on it that I tried to barely use it. I'll get back to it again.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yeah ur definetely above other tinks. U have potential ;). U just need to get better at spacing like u said, overall decision making and mixing it up. Ur on the right track :).

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Some offline matches :) (I played kinda bad I guess since I end up DAir suiciding in the first match by accident. I have noticed that I have improved my arrow and bomb usage, and stopped "pure ZAiring", and decided to airdodge and use other attacks besides USmash. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi5kaUmrdo&fmt=18 Match 1 vs Olimar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeKz1LrwaWQ&fmt=18 Match 2 vs Olimar

ONLINE MATCH RECORDED BY SOMEONE ELSE (So no Y. Link texture :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGRqCvAk3c&fmt=18 Match vs Snake (I played REALLY horrible, and thath's purposely why I would like this one to be definately critiqeud)

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Oni the wolf and power of slash- hang on utube is gaying me again so no videos for me >_>. Ill get some tinks to critique u :).

Oh, and YL texture ftw! As well as the outset one. <3

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Slash.. your zair needs to be a bit lower when fighting olimar. You spaced them well enough tough. I would say less bombs in that match up, but whatever works for you is fine. When you did that drop off the ledge to bomb pull, if you would have just thrown the bomb up, you wouldnt have gotten spiked. You shouldnt have been getting spiked like that. Try to have a projectile covering you when recovering. I liked your downtilts, but down tilt to grab was pretty risky. But not too bad, I actually watched both vids.. usually I dont xD.
+10 for using purple =]

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Purple TL ftw =D

Thanks for reminding me of the recovering thing going to keep that in mind next time I play.

I do have a bit of trouble getting the Zair any lower than that, less bombs is a definate was forced into too many awkward situations with a bomb in my hand vs. Rust(these matches weren't recorded).

Thanks for the critique Jerm =o

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Just practice zairing more.. it'll become natural to you. Also, ibomb, if you have to use a bomb when fighting olimar. Specially ones who think you cant use bombs.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Some offline matches :) (I played kinda bad I guess since I end up DAir suiciding in the first match by accident. I have noticed that I have improved my arrow and bomb usage, and stopped "pure ZAiring", and decided to airdodge and use other attacks besides USmash. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi5kaUmrdo&fmt=18 Match 1 vs Olimar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeKz1LrwaWQ&fmt=18 Match 2 vs Olimar

ONLINE MATCH RECORDED BY SOMEONE ELSE (So no Y. Link texture :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGRqCvAk3c&fmt=18 Match vs Snake (I played REALLY horrible, and thath's purposely why I would like this one to be definately critiqeud)
I watched all of them. I know you want the last one critiqued but I'm not gonna do it because it's an online match and you can obviously tell from your two SD's and the very slow game lol. Basically, you did bad because of the lag, you're obviously not that bad all the time.

Okay, as for the other two matches, here's some advice.

1. Your bair autocancels so you always have to remember that. As soon as you land on the stage with a bair, you can immediatley jump back in the air. This will make bair combos more effective since it gives your opponent less time to get out of them and it will make you faster.

2. Fast fall aerials. Obviously you don't have to for arrow cancels, but sometimes you would zair to nair the olimar with no arrow cancel but you'd fall slow. After you nair, fastfall so you can follow up with even more attacks.

3. Projectiles looked good, zair needs a bit of work. If you shorthop so you can zair and your opponent would move, it seemed like you wouldn't zair. Simply follow your opponent whether they're moving towards or away from you and then zair them.

4. Gimping. I didn't see too much of this in any of your matches. It's one of Toon Link's best kill moves XD. I would follow your opponents offstage. Our recovery is broken xP

5. Grabs. Your sheild grabs are very good, but your at other times, you seem to grab when you feel like that. That's not too smart with Toon Link due to the immense lag after missing. You should only grab when you're sheildgrabbing or when you predict your opponent is gonna land with a spotdodge.

That's all. Your projectile game is pretty solid and your reactions are pretty good too (offline lol). Oh, and only play 3 stock matches. :chuckle::chuckle:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Help me with the Olimar match up.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Zair, nair, arrow cancel sasuke. Thats mainly all we can do =/. Also, go for gimps alot. Not spikes, but other ways.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Hes just too gay. ._.

I've tried that.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Erm bomb the pikmin and punish when he gets more, dsmash gimp, ibomb > utilts/usmash and what jerm said

you could always just tell em to get a real character

or you could be santi that would help alot in oli match up

Jeeves

Smash Cadet
These are a couple matches of my toon link. If you wanna see some more, just visit the other brawl videos on my channel. Anyways...:

Toon link vs. Diddy kong 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXscqYbVQxY&feature=channel_page

Toon link vs. Diddy kong 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8H_bRI7Vz4&feature=related

These videos of me are ok, but I took a break from Brawl for a little while, and I got a new BULKY gamecube controller cause my others are starting to die:ohwell:

One thing I will say now, is I know I was using WAY too much boomerang. and a little bit too much dair. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Please bear with the crappy quality!

(I had a thread b4, if a mod wants to lock it. and people can critique here)

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Chaos, against Link, go for the gimp to kill. He's too heavy to kill any other way except for horizontal kills. As for racking damage, he's you, but slower and stronger. Get through the wall and just use quick moves at close range. Don't spam, he'll spam back, and his projectiles hurt more. He can do everything you can, except recover, so just treat it with a bit of caution until he's off the stage.

(Also, someone may be able to help you out more. That's pretty general info...)

Top Bottom