• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-The no longer official Toon Link Video Critique Thread- *ignore this thread*

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
People need their own thread for video critiques.

Matchups idk. Theres an inquiry thread, but whatever.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
People need their own thread for video critiques.

Matchups idk. Theres an inquiry thread, but whatever.
The marth boards have it like this and it works very well. I suggest you guys give it a shot.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It only works if the OP maintains the thread very well. Steel is like always on for at least an hour everyday.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
@ Viet- Im always on for at least 3 hours everyday. So, Ill keep this as organized as possible. If u have suggestions or anything let me know.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
You have a pretty decent TL. Got all the basics down. But you became a bit predictable. I also do it at times. Also, I couldnt tell much because your opponents seemed to not be able to fight TL at all. Or they just werent very good.. or both =/

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
seemed pretty good to me, i can't really critique as i haven't shown any videos, but it looked nice. i keep up the tempo going fast a lot though, though that may be because of the guy above me, Jerm through talking to him and watching him go has made me, as Hiza says "very down to business and aggresive"

speaking of which im gonna have water upload a few vids next week

ya hear me water i need you :B

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
@ Kaze-

I saw the first match against the Game and Watch. I must say that Game and Watch was very lacking. But your Toon Link looks good still. Ill just point some mistakes (which are not that much) and good stuff I saw.

0:28- You forgot your bomb was there. Then you zair, the bomb hits you. That was a great opportunity for the Game and Watch to punish you but the Game and Watch didnt capitalize on this.

0:57- Bad zair spacing. You get dsmashed.

1:09- Good stuff. Nice bomb dair combo ftkill.

1:14- At first I was like no u noob "why land in front of him, ull get punished" but then I saw the bomb went out. Good mindgames.

1:32- Nice ibomb.

Overall, a very good Toon Link. But the Game and Watch is severely lacking. I saw no nairs from game and watch :S. And he also didnt seem to know how to play a Tink. But, still u have a very good Toon Link you just need to be less predictable now I saw u doing too much of the same stuff. Vary it a bit for next time. Good job.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
It only works if the OP maintains the thread very well. Steel is like always on for at least an hour everyday.
i havent updated the critique thread in forever, i also hardly do critiques anymore. but im glad other people are doing them.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
i would post but you all have seen my videos. I just suck horribly. Though when I get the chance this year I'll post some vids. Hopefully this thread will still be alive by then.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i havent updated the critique thread in forever, i also hardly do critiques anymore. but im glad other people are doing them.
yarly, you don't need to update it, lol. I made one in the Kirby boards a couple months ago, and it just got stickied two days ago, and I was like :O

And yet people still fill the boards with "RATE MY KIRBY" threads.

And no, I didn't copy the Marth boards...I got the idea, so I made it. And you don't have to ask me permission to make one for the TL boards XD

<3 Toon Link boards

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice

Hyro

Smash Lord
Shadepaw, just watched the first match, not really going into detail but you seem to like to roll a lot and Toon Link's roll is pretty nasty. I would do it a lot less. Try adding zair and arrow cancels to your game.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Oni Wolf-

I saw all the matches and decided to not critique your Toon Link ditto. Ill point a lot of mistakes you do. So that u dont repeat them in a match ever again. This may seem harsh :S. Anyway, here I go:

The Pokemon Trainer vid-

0:10- Random Arrow on a platform when it wouldnt hit :S.

0:36- Random Fsmash.

1:03- You fail to hit him out of his pokemon change because u got desperate.

1:07- You usmashed after zair when Nair would be far better, save your kill moves.

1:21- You throw bomb and hurt yourself the pkmn trainer reacts to this and hits you with fair.

1:26- Random usmash.

1:30- Random dash attack. :S

1:37_1:40- Random zair, usmash and nair when they wouldnt hit. Dont do moves wildly and expect them to hit.

1:41- Random fsmash charge >_>.

1:46_1:48- Learn to DI.

1:50- Random fsmash again. Stop it plz. My eyes hurt.

2:26- Save your usmash for the kill please.

2:33- Usmash....again!

3:31- Random fair when it wouldnt hit.

3:41- Learn to DI.

Hmmm, U seem to be doing attacks wildly trying to connect. Please know when to use ur attacks. Also kill moves like usmash, fair, fsmash should be used either at the beginning of the battle or at the end of their stock to get the kill. At the beginning because u are certain u will land 10 more hits to refresh the move so it becomes as powerful again to get the kill. Moves decay and decrease their knockback and damage so using a kill move repeatedly will get u nowhere. K onto the Captain Falcon one-

CF vid-

0:28- Bad zair spacing. You get fsmashed.

1:18- You didnt sweetspot the ledge. When taking bombs out offstage always let go of the ledge downwards instead of sideways, while falling bomb pull, jump and upB.

1:22- Learn to arrow cancel correctly. Instant nair when jumping is the way to cancel the nair into an arrow.

1:45- Random grab.

1:55- Random grab again when ur opponent is on the ledge :S.

1:57- Bad boomerang against a better player that would be unsafe and get you severely punished.

I know its wifi but your Toon Link still needs a lot of work. Please stop the random attacks. Attack only when you know you will hit or most likely will. Also, stop grabbing so much with Tink. Better players will read the grab and punish you severely. Im not saying dont use grab but try to limit the amount of grabs you do. Dont be Lobos. Also, when you zair, usmash is a good followup and all but nair is the safest and doesnt decay your best kill move. So go with insta nair when u land a zair and to mix it up: grab sometimes after the zair when they least expect it. Overall, your Toon Link needs a lot of work but keep working and improving and dont be discouraged by this critique. On the contrary, Im telling you this stuff so that you can improve and become a better player. Have a nice day.

PS- People Im not the only one allowed to do indeph critiques if you want to, just do it. Also, shadepaw if no one has critiqued you until tomorrow, I got you.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Oni Wolf-

I saw all the matches and decided to not critique your Toon Link ditto. Ill point a lot of mistakes you do. So that u dont repeat them in a match ever again. This may seem harsh :S. Anyway, here I go:

The Pokemon Trainer vid-

0:10- Random Arrow on a platform when it wouldnt hit :S.

0:36- Random Fsmash.

1:03- You fail to hit him out of his pokemon change because u got desperate.

1:07- You usmashed after zair when Nair would be far better, save your kill moves.

1:21- You throw bomb and hurt yourself the pkmn trainer reacts to this and hits you with fair.

1:26- Random usmash.

1:30- Random dash attack. :S

1:37_1:40- Random zair, usmash and nair when they wouldnt hit. Dont do moves wildly and expect them to hit.

1:41- Random fsmash charge >_>.

1:46_1:48- Learn to DI.

1:50- Random fsmash again. Stop it plz. My eyes hurt.

2:26- Save your usmash for the kill please.

2:33- Usmash....again!

3:31- Random fair when it wouldnt hit.

3:41- Learn to DI.

Hmmm, U seem to be doing attacks wildly trying to connect. Please know when to use ur attacks. Also kill moves like usmash, fair, fsmash should be used either at the beginning of the battle or at the end of their stock to get the kill. At the beginning because u are certain u will land 10 more hits to refresh the move so it becomes as powerful again to get the kill. Moves decay and decrease their knockback and damage so using a kill move repeatedly will get u nowhere. K onto the Captain Falcon one-

CF vid-

0:28- Bad zair spacing. You get fsmashed.

1:18- You didnt sweetspot the ledge. When taking bombs out offstage always let go of the ledge downwards instead of sideways, while falling bomb pull, jump and upB.

1:22- Learn to arrow cancel correctly. Instant nair when jumping is the way to cancel the nair into an arrow.

1:45- Random grab.

1:55- Random grab again when ur opponent is on the ledge :S.

1:57- Bad boomerang against a better player that would be unsafe and get you severely punished.

I know its wifi but your Toon Link still needs a lot of work. Please stop the random attacks. Attack only when you know you will hit or most likely will. Also, stop grabbing so much with Tink. Better players will read the grab and punish you severely. Im not saying dont use grab but try to limit the amount of grabs you do. Dont be Lobos. Also, when you zair, usmash is a good followup and all but nair is the safest and doesnt decay your best kill move. So go with insta nair when u land a zair and to mix it up: grab sometimes after the zair when they least expect it. Overall, your Toon Link needs a lot of work but keep working and improving and dont be discouraged by this critique. On the contrary, Im telling you this stuff so that you can improve and become a better player. Have a nice day.

PS- People Im not the only one allowed to do indeph critiques if you want to, just do it. Also, shadepaw if no one has critiqued you until tomorrow, I got you.
I know my TL game isn't great, but I never knew that I make so many mistakes O_O! Thanks man! I assure you, my Tl has improved since those last three matches since they aren't current (The TL ditto was on Friday, though). And I save my USmash more now ^_^! Plus, I annoy people with BAir to Bow cancel. So I will try to get a current match up here asap, but still, thanks for doing this for the community. I guess my friends saying that my TL is godly is not true, and I know it. Maybe I need to expose my TL game to better TL's so I can learn from them. Currently, I only know two TL's that are better than me, but I can never play them :(

Lobos

Smash Master
NO! I think the correct way is "You can't be like Lobos" :) No one can grab like me.....maybe chip but no one else!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I grab a lot now Lobos. >_>
And combo out of them now. <_<

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
I may not be very good, but I can say a couple things.

In the first match:

Rolling way too much. Toon Link has a really bad roll.
Attacks thrown out randomly.
Too many whiffed grabs; a few times, he didn't punish you, but he began catching on.

That's my two cents.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I gladly accept any criticisms (I roll too much, noted) but may I ask you give advice while you do so, so I can improve? I may roll too much, but what do I do instead? You understand what I mean?

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
I gladly accept any criticisms (I roll too much, noted) but may I ask you give advice while you do so, so I can improve? I may roll too much, but what do I do instead? You understand what I mean?
Yeah, sorry, sorry.

Instead of rolling, in a lot of the situations you did and especially against what your opp did, get airborne and harass him with your boomerang, while simultaneously moving back and reassessing the situation. Gauge their reaction and fight accordingly. Rolls have their place, however, especially if your opp doesn't punish them. (I see you main Lucario. Now I know why you roll a lot. :p)

You threw your attack out randomly. The only advice I can give here is watch your opp and know the hitboxes and speeds of your moves. When in doubt, throw projectiles if the space is sufficient. Otherwise, SH Zair or Nair to attack, Zair if they're at the tip range of Zair, Nair if they're closer.

Grab only really works if lead into with TL, since he has so much lag at the end if you miss.Try Zair->Grab, or grab if they shield a lot. You can also try and bait a spotdodge and grab them after it.

This is just what I do, though, and it seems to work. Others could probably give you better advice though.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I should play some good people and get vids up. =(

And Oni, I like what you did with the Zair to avoid Snakes Fsmash when recovering.
That was nice. ^_^

Ashraf23

Smash Apprentice
This is a good thread and idea. But i think people usually view the topic more if one person just post their own topic, just my thought though.

nice thread

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I finally have internet again. ^_^. Onithewolf sorry for making u wait but i will have to critique u tomorrow. Kinda busy today. >_>

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Following videos are vs a snake and a GnW.
The snake video was a friendly. I was explaoring Snake having never actually played a Snake before. He is definitely not the best snake in the world and I sd'd my self at 28% while trying and failing horribly at something :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCrgqkiYFc&feature=channel_page

The GnW match was a tourney match. I get nervous during tournies and make some dumb mistakes. I know there was an isntance I spammed 4 Usmashes for some reason. I use dair a few too many times (occassionally on accident), and I used Fsmash once or twice when I shouldn't have. I like to try and mind game with it by doing the first part of fsmash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA0b38TTwe8&feature=channel

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Hey Pho, sorry it took so long but after a day I have finished your critique. I'll send it to you via PM. I think you know me well enough to trust my judgment, I trust your critiques so tell me what you think.

Lobos

Smash Master
The GnW match was a tourney match. I get nervous during tournies and make some dumb mistakes. I know there was an isntance I spammed 4 Usmashes for some reason. I use dair a few too many times (occassionally on accident), and I used Fsmash once or twice when I shouldn't have. I like to try and mind game with it by doing the first part of fsmash.

Seemed you did good job critiquing yourself lol, anyways you did spam usmash which is a no no. You did a good job of not getting hit by g&w fsmash on the edge. Use less charged arrows and more cancel arrows.

Anyone else wants a critique? I'll post a little of what I see but not paragraphs lol

Hyro

Smash Lord
Following videos are vs a snake and a GnW.
The snake video was a friendly. I was explaoring Snake having never actually played a Snake before. He is definitely not the best snake in the world and I sd'd my self at 28% while trying and failing horribly at something :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCrgqkiYFc&feature=channel_page

Basically your just lacking shorthops. You need to use a lot more aerials like zair, nair, bair, zair....and zair. And the stuff that Lobos said. :chuckle:

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I feel I definitely needed more bairs. I have actually been using less bairs as I have been so focused on other parts of my game that I have almost forgot that it existed recently. I also noticed a few spots where grounded up b would have been effective.

As for zair, I don't use it a whole lot because the people I play against anyways predict it and shield it a lot. So I use it sparingly to catch them off guard. It also allows me to pull off the zair to nair combo. I don't use zair with a bomb in hand much because it telegraphs that a zair or bomb throw is coming and they shield it.

But zair is something I am gradually getting the hang of but people like Dazwa, Toil, Darc etc have been difficult to pull of zair "combos" on. I may just not be quick enough. They are not strangers to Toon Link so they expect this stuff.

I do hope to make it a more effective part of my game though. Thanks for the tips. I will be psoting some vids vs an Olimar in the next month or so. I hate this match up with a passion.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I should have new vids on Friday/Saturday since that's the only time I'll play someone worth going all out against, so I'll have an update on what I've done to improve, and the other mistakes I might be making.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
As for zair, I don't use it a whole lot because the people I play against anyways predict it and shield it a lot. So I use it sparingly to catch them off guard. It also allows me to pull off the zair to nair combo. I don't use zair with a bomb in hand much because it telegraphs that a zair or bomb throw is coming and they shield it.

But zair is something I am gradually getting the hang of but people like Dazwa, Toil, Darc etc have been difficult to pull of zair "combos" on. I may just not be quick enough. They are not strangers to Toon Link so they expect this stuff.
People expect marth's to fair, falco's to chain grab, snake's to uptilt. But they still do it xD

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
People expect marth's to fair, falco's to chain grab, snake's to uptilt. But they still do it xD
This is true, but their moves are not quite so telegraphed and easy to shield. That is why I use it sparingly to catch them off guard. But like I said I continue to practice it and make it a part of my game. But I don't agree with being zair crazy like some people suggest. I've tried it and I just get a power shielded zair and punishment. But I do agree I definitely could use it more and better. I just need some more practice with it. I literally get to play people twice a month MAYBE.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Jman 115- If theyre grabbing ur zair its not necessarily that it is a telegraphed move. Ppl may see it coming but u could see them coming too, so u retreat with it so that u hit them with the tip and they cant shield grab u. I actually had that problem and i thought i was getting predictable with it (which i was) but now i use it while retreating and they cant do anything about it. So evaluate what u are doing wrong with zair and get better with it :)

Top Bottom