• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-The no longer official Toon Link Video Critique Thread- *ignore this thread*

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I watched the first vid. When doing those fairs, try to hit there shield. Just the tip. When you have a bair string like that.. keep going. You missed out on some good damage. Learn to arrow cancel in opposite directions.. unless your doing it as a mind game. Good TL though, its different, and I like it. Nice ending too.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
To be honest. You just need to keep playing more. Seems like you guys dont have to general brawl game down yet. Things like dash attack at very low percent, and not even off the ledge, is really bad. You also need to upgrade your item usage skills by alot =/

Frosty10001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frosty10001
Thanks for the critism, but I've been playing Brawl since it was released, I guess my suckiness will never be released, even all the pointless brawling I'm trying to do..

NearZzz

Smash Lord
I watched the first vid. When doing those fairs, try to hit there shield. Just the tip. When you have a bair string like that.. keep going. You missed out on some good damage. Learn to arrow cancel in opposite directions.. unless your doing it as a mind game. Good TL though, its different, and I like it. Nice ending too.
Got it. and thanks xD

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Thanks for the critism, but I've been playing Brawl since it was released, I guess my suckiness will never be released, even all the pointless brawling I'm trying to do..
Haha, dont worry about it man. Try watching more video's, and entering some tournaments. Then you'll get better alot faster.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I watched the first vid. You was being wayy to predictable. Too many forward smashes also. Only do those when you know they will hit. Also, dont punish openings with bombs.. thats when you might want to use those forward smashes =p. When it comes to killing, dont get upsmash crazy. I know how you feel, I had the same problem. Just relax, and think of other ways to kill. Like uptilt's and fairs. You had nice dair usage, but just be careful. I dont know if you was just getting lucky, or actually reading your opponent. Missing a dair can lead to some serious ****.

Conker315

Smash Lord
Noraa try using more projectiles to your advantage.Also, dont be afraid to aproach with zair, follow by a grap, etc.It's really useful and leads up to good damage using your moves correctly.Space yourself when your feeling uncomfortable and see your opponents movement.Overall you will find some sort of pattern, and if he changes then you know what to do.Be patient and dont play in such a rush.

Conker315

Smash Lord
In my opinion your slow, so I recommend speeding it up a bit, but dont rush alot.Also you missed your grabs so many times...
Try knowing when to actually use them properly and grab your opponent.MOre prjectiles would be nice also, like more bombs maybe?
Your arrow cancels weren't that good also, so try working on that.
Just keep training and playing different opponents and youll get better in no time.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion your slow, so I recommend speeding it up a bit, but dont rush alot.Also you missed your grabs so many times...
Try knowing when to actually use them properly and grab your opponent.MOre prjectiles would be nice also, like more bombs maybe?
Your arrow cancels weren't that good also, so try working on that.
Just keep training and playing different opponents and youll get better in no time.
I hear ya. This was a Wifi match. Usually, my arrow cancels aren't this bad. Was there anything that id id right? Dx

Conker315

Smash Lord
Umm you got around the DDD ok but you need to do better.Spacing, I really saw none, but you did keep somewhat of a distance.Remember, dont get grabed by a D3 =[

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I need this critiqued:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vmbZ6F_RQ&fmt=18

Oh yeah, for those wondering what the random FSmash charge up was at the beginning, it was cuz I was trying to Pivot Walk at the start of the match. Apparently, that failed xD
You didnt do so bad, but the D3 wasnt exploiting your mistakes. I've played some of the best DDD's and they chain grab alot. This one was letting your bad spacing go unpunished.. so dont be surprised when you face other D3's. Remember that D3 cant really approach well, so zair spam his ***. I would personally try attacking from the top.. dont know why though.. it seems to work. When they do there UP B, use your up air, it goes through if done correctly. Get that grab range down.. all those misses could also lead to chain grabs. Also.. dont upsmash D3 at 70 something %.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
You got too predictable with your SH bomb pull, then you full hop to boomerang. Also, try to up your arrow game, with quickdraws generally every time you land. Unless you stop to mix it up. And dont use up air to DI.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I didnt want to critique doubles vids tbh. Doubles is alot different, and I dont feel I am good enough at doubles yet to critique you.

Jeeves

Smash Cadet
These are a couple matches of my toon link. If you wanna see some more, just visit the other brawl videos on my channel. Anyways...:

Toon link vs. Diddy kong 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8H_bRI7Vz4&feature=channel_page
Toon link vs. Diddy kong 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXscqYbVQxY&feature=channel_page

These videos of me are ok, but I took a break from Brawl for a little while, and I got a new BULKY gamecube controller cause my others are starting to die

One thing I will say now, is I know I was using WAY too much boomerang. and a little bit too much dair. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Please bear with the crappy quality!

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Wow, I watched like half of the second vid. Ok, that diddy needs to learn how to play diddy. I cant critique your TL, if your playing against someone who isnt even playing their in a competitive way. I didnt see one banana D: As for as your TL goes, you did alot of SH's, then pause, then a attack. It was really predictable. Try working on your zairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49G9tWy3GEY
Even though this is kind of old, and we both have progressed our playstyles alot, you can see that diddy uses alot of banana's in his game. You could also see some of the things I do against diddy, and in general. It should help your game.

Edit: lol, this is during the time I was learning to BBQ =3

TLMarth

Smash Ace
@ Lucia:

So...

I'm not really experienced with matchups, having nobody to play with, but I can tell you

Don't use smashes so much:
1: Not when you're really far away from the opponent. He's probably not going to run into it.
2: Don't use your upsmash early in the game. It's supposed to be saved for killing. You used it only once though, just pointing it out.

Lasers:

Use SH Airdodge, jump around to avoid lasers. If there are platforms, use them to get away. Try to use your projectiles to attack him at the same time as avoiding his lasers.

General attacks:

Your main attacks should be Nair, bair, utilt, zair.
Don't use dair and dash attack so much.
Your approach should not be 'run up, stop, dsmash' or dash attack
It should be Nair/zair

Projectiles:

Short hop most of your projectiles. This lets you quickdraw bomb throws and bomb pulls, and it's just better in general for angling and stuff

Killing:

Don't spam randomly.

@ Doom Link:

Quite solid, yet somehow doesn't feel like very Toon Linky. Maybe because I'm used to the standard zair-> nair routine.
Since it was a CPU I can't really say so much...

Usually, using Usmash a lot is a bad idea, though you managed to kill him easily enough. It's a matter of playstyle, but don't use your kill moves (fair, Usmash, Uair) too much before kill percent.

Work on using zair and short hop and quickdraw, yet preserve some uniqueness so that you don't become predictable.

Wait, I didn't say you were exactly predictable
I said avoid in the future because in my experience I play too predictably

1Zero99Lucia5

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice, I know most of my smashes are kinda useless when I use then on a distance.

And I just found out that SHDA combined with a bomb throws your opponent of the ledge, and leaves them open for a spike.

=D

1Zero99Lucia5

Smash Cadet
@ Doom Link:

Your Toon Link is quite good for someone who just started. But I saw you don't drive your oppponent to the ledge for the spike. I don't use spikes that often though, 'cause if you miss your opponent you can easily lose the matches. Also when the match is starting it is easier to start with some strings, like:

DownThrow --> SH --> Bair --> Bair --> Bair --> DownSmash.

That's how I start most of my matches.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
I played a couple of money matches with Xonar on my latest smashfest, and decided to upload some for a rate my Toon Link thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcPfofVeo0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XquHA...eature=channel

I know my spacing and campgame can be better, and my DI (wich i don't have xD) can also be better.
For falco approach with more Zair, dont just run upto him, at 1:13( 1st round) perfect chance for a Dair spike. if hes at high percentage pressure him with Fairs or use Up smash for a suprise finish(you could follow up with Zair). do not always Fsmash, use more nairs or Bairs also quickdraw. try not to camp falco he could outcamp with lasers.

i hope this helps ( or more)

1Zero99Lucia5

Smash Cadet
All advice is valued, I know my campgame must me better. Less smashes to, I'm going to The New Order Tournament III, so a good chance to train my Toon Link.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Haha i rlly need to get a vid up some time i feel like such a doosh givein ppl advice without one but i got a pretty big fest comin up and may get some foootaaggge ^^

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Maybe spot dodge a little less...
And maybe JC throw bananas down at their shield if they're close to you.
And at 2:25 you could bomb pull ->quickdraw or just quickdraw instead if they're out of Zair range.

But you're too ****, Jerm. <3

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I was actually thinking about that saturday. Throwing the banana's down at their shield. I need to test it out.

Top Bottom