• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What exactly does that mean?

Like fire/ psychic form Darmanitan?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
kind of disappointing that MegaBlaziken gets speed boost, if Blaziken was uber with speed boost....i don't even want to think about it

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Okay, so Game Freak has and currently is doing some crazy stuff, I'll admit that. But a base 90 Attack Pokemon with Huge Power is NOT going to happen. That is just absurd. There's been a lot of powercreep, granted, but all powercreep has been slow and gradual. Huge Power MegaMawile with a slightly increased base Attack has 20% more Attack than any other Pokemon in the game. That #2 Pokemon only beats out #3 by like 4% more Attack. #3 beats #4 by a mere 2% or so. This huge jump would be literally unprecedented.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
All of the presently announced Mega Evolutions look really cool, in my opinion. Mawile and Absol in particular.

But I'm with TRG 100%, and this quote is exactly my first thought when I saw this:

GameFreak has officially jumped the shark with this move.
Mawile and Absol especially. Both of them are single-evolution Pokemon and neither is very good, why didn't they just evolve them traditionally?

If Pokejungle is correct, then you can only use the Mega evos during battle.
That's interesting, and would make me feel a bit better about this; thanks for sharing that. I have a question regarding that, though: Granted, I only ever watched I think one episode of Digimon, but isn't that exactly how Digivolution worked?

I don't know, if this tidbit is true, I'll feel a lot better about it, and the more it sets in I'm feeling a little bit better, too. But I don't know, it seems unnecessary. And TRG is right: Everybody is going to be screaming for Mega[insert Pokemon here] if we don't get everyone right off the bat, and I'm sure we won't.

ChKn

Smash Ace
That's interesting, and would make me feel a bit better about this; thanks for sharing that. I have a question regarding that, though: Granted, I only ever watched I think one episode of Digimon, but isn't that exactly how Digivolution worked?
In terms of the anime, yes. In terms of the games, no, but that somewhat varies based off of what game you look at lol.

It's pretty early for me to make my judgment on the Mega evos mechanics wise, but I like most of the designs, except Lucarios'. It might be because of the brown hands/feet. Blaziken's is pretty awesome. I don't think that it'll be overtly broken though.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I will only approve if I get Mega Farfetch'd and/or Mega Dunsparce. Nothing else will sate my hunger.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Even if they're forced to hold an item (aka no CB/LO/Lefties to abuse) and Mawile's attack doesn't get any higher, Huge Power 85 Attack 2HKOs the whole game after Stealth Rock with its movepool.

dafuq

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I think it's very lazy of Gamefreak. Seriously, why couldn't they just have those certain pokemon evolve. I like it even less if it only can be used in battle because that is just stupid and a waste of time and make the game way more complicated.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It also makes it certain those pokemon will never get a true evolution

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I think it's very lazy of Gamefreak. Seriously, why couldn't they just have those certain pokemon evolve. I like it even less if it only can be used in battle because that is just stupid and a waste of time and make the game way more complicated.
Imagine Blaziken, Lucario, and especially Mewtwo with the eviolite.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Even if they're forced to hold an item (aka no CB/LO/Lefties to abuse) and Mawile's attack doesn't get any higher, Huge Power 85 Attack 2HKOs the whole game after Stealth Rock with its movepool.

dafuq
In all fairness, that doesn't really say anything since your moveset has to be like Iron Head/Crunch/Fire Blast/Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Thunder Fang. Though addition of Fairy STAB would likely help a ton.

Though, I suppose being able to 2HKO a 252/252 Skarmory with a base 65 power move is an accomplishment in and of itself.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Wave, it has Sucker Punch. It should be banned from competitive Pokemon. If it doesn't then it will be at the top of Ubers.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Honestly the Mega Stone will probably just get banned or something. Anything that gets a Mega form so far looks like it could quite feasibly sit in Ubers residency.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Ubers isn't a tier

It's a banlist

like BL

there literally can't be a tier above Ubers because you can't have a tier above the main metagame banlist.

Megas like this will just roam Ubers freely

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Megas will likely be much better then Ubers and they won't want the Ubers tier to be too large so I believe at they will have a tier that will allow the best Megas.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Another thought is that every single Pokemon will get a Mega evolution and we'll just drop down the entire Ubers tier, and we'll start from scratch. Then Ubers will only be 40 big again with only the strongest stuff (like MegaKyogre and MegaArceus)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lol lets be real here there's no way GF is gonna give every fully evolved Pokemon a Mega evolution... Those that don't will probably have to wait till more are added during Gen 7 or whatever...

Such a shame Gen 6 was really looking promising too... I've accepted all forms of change since Gen 1 but this is the first circumstance where I'm completely turned off by a new mechanic. This time GF tried to hard to do something different with the series.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
what would happen if some mega forms are actually balanced (like MegaAmpharos let's just say), should we just ban them all or just not ban the ones who are actually okay

i think they only showed a few megas just to tease us

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Mewtwo, revealed because he's already been revealed
Blaziken, revealed because he's a relatively popular starter
Ampharos, reveal because of his story-related role in the gen II games, the anime, and the manga
Lucario, revealed because he's the de facto mascot of gen IV (see Brawl)
Absol and Mawile, revealed because they're two single-stage Pokemon that could really benefit from having an evolution, likely chosen due to looking super mega awesome or something

Also worth nothing is that Blaziken has an X on his chest, while Lucario has a Y

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Well there are reasons to include every pokemon. Well whatever, it won't really matter, I'm just curious if every pokemon will get Mega evolutions or just a select few.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mewtwo, revealed because he's already been revealed
Blaziken, revealed because he's a relatively popular starter
Ampharos, reveal because of his story-related role in the gen II games, the anime, and the manga
Lucario, revealed because he's the de facto mascot of gen IV (see Brawl)
Absol and Mawile, revealed because they're two single-stage Pokemon that could really benefit from having an evolution, likely chosen due to looking super mega awesome or something

Also worth nothing is that Blaziken has an X on his chest, while Lucario has a Y
Since the Torchic that's going to evolve into Mega Blaziken is being the first distributed pokemon after the release, it might just be a coincidence.

...Anyway I'm thinking water/ steel Mega Blastoise. I believe the whole rainer rumor back in the day had Blastoise as a water/ steel and have wanted one ever since

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
It be funny if this is just how Pokemon get their Hidden Ability this gen, like Dreamworld last gen.
Not only would that fix Politoad (and ruin Ninetails) but it would be a nice solution to a problem we were wondering about.

It feels like a little bottom-up design too.

"We want to give Mawile this ability that doubles her attack power"
"Give her another mouth"

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Such a shame Gen 6 was really looking promising too... I've accepted all forms of change since Gen 1 but this is the first circumstance where I'm completely turned off by a new mechanic. This time GF tried to hard to do something different with the series.
I mean, I think it's sort of silly too, but I don't think this is a reason to necessarily write off Gen 6 immediately. From everything we've seen about it so far, it seems like it's going to be 100% optional in-game. As far as competitive play goes...assuming that some of them are not too powerful to not get banned to Ubers, does it really matter there? The only difference is that you get changed types and new abilities and whatnot and you're looking at a different sprite.

We should (IMO) at least know exactly what we're dealing with before we come to any final conclusions about it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Aura Sphere and higher Speed.
Faster speed doesn't mean anything when you're switching into Darkrai.

And if you're not switching into Darkrai, Insomnia would have no effect because you just ****ing kill him.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
So Mega Evolutions get higher stats confirmed now

Mawile is literally about to steamroll through everything.

God that's not something I would've ever expected to say.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I mean, I think it's sort of silly too, but I don't think this is a reason to necessarily write off Gen 6 immediately. From everything we've seen about it so far, it seems like it's going to be 100% optional in-game. As far as competitive play goes...assuming that some of them are not too powerful to not get banned to Ubers, does it really matter there? The only difference is that you get changed types and new abilities and whatnot and you're looking at a different sprite.

We should (IMO) at least know exactly what we're dealing with before we come to any final conclusions about it.
I understand I'm whining a lot but make no mistake about it there's no way I'm missing out on any new Gen no matter how bad it could potentially end up.

I highly doubt these Mega evolutions will win me over but I still have a lot of other stuff to look forward to such as the new Pokes, region, graphics, and Fairy type.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Pokebeach put up a bit of information regarding the mechanics detailed in the scans. There's also a new video from the official website.

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHgE0vtOXU

Info links: http://pokebeach.com/2013/08/official-english-names-information-for-mega-evolutions
http://pokebeach.com/2013/08/clearer-corocoro-scans-more-information

Some notable info:
  • Not all Pokemon have Mega Evolutions.
  • Mega Evolutions have increased stats, with CoroCoro citing two examples: Mega Lucario has higher Attack and Mega Absol has higher Attack and Speed. Mega Mewtwo obviously has higher Speed as we saw in the Genesect film.
  • The Super Training area allows you to increase your Pokemon’s “Kiso Points.” These are probably what we fans have termed EVs all these years going by what our source said about the facility increasing EVs.
  • The next CoroCoro will feature the new type chart reflecting the Fairy-type, new Pokemon, and new Mega Evolutions.
  • Only certain Pokemon, under certain conditions, can achieve Mega Evolution. One of those conditions is a special item called a Mega Stone. These special stones exist for every Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, and each is named for the Pokemon to which it grants power. To use a Mega Stone, give it to your Pokemon to hold. Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution will gain access to their potential only if they first carry a Mega Stone into battle. Other things are needed for Mega Evolution to succeed, and those secrets will be explained later! Some of the many Mega Stones seem to be hidden in secret places in the Kalos region. Finding every one of them will be one of the challenges awaiting you in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y!
We can also see EV stats through a meter, which is extremely nice lol.

From the link with the video, MMewtwo has a boost in Sp.Atk as opposed to Speed in the previous day's link, so I don't know which one is right. MBlaziken has an increase in Attack.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Strange, the American pokemon site only has Mewtwo, Lucario and Blaziken revealed...

Does this "Super Training" increase base stats at random, or is there some kind of way to choose which ones you want to increase?

Or are they trying to completely redo the base stat system from previous games

ChKn

Smash Ace
Well it might be like Monster Rancher, where you can choose to improve X stat, or in this case EV.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm betting it's a different mini game depending on which stat you want to improve. Or at least hoping

Judging from the screen shots, either the person controlling the game just like leveling everything like crazy (for no reason) Or it's random

Top Bottom