• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
why is mario a tier and a half above luigi? A TIER AND A HALF WTF

I agree with the top 4 and the bottom 2, I don't know enough about 5-10 so I can't form an opinion on it, but looks accurate to me
to add to what others said, Mario is a much better gimping character, Luigi's d-air is much more easy to smash DI out of, and Mario has a much better approach/priority. Mario's u-air/d-air chain is incredibly good.

Mario also does well vs Falcon while Luigi has problems vs. virtually anyone above him outside of Jigglypuff. Most floaties are just bad in ssb as they have difficulty keeping up shield pressure.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Er... it's far from balls. It's probably mid-high tier for up-tilts. It's just not as good as it was in the Japanese version.
I just can't reliably juggle with it the way I can with the Japanese up-tilt. And it doesn't kill until insanely higher percentages.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Link's (U)tilt
c wat i did thar
doesn't combo from 6% like its (J) counterpart but I don't think that automatically makes it worse. Both Utilts are very handy in different situations, you just have to learn when/where to use the American Utilt.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Link's (U)tilt
c wat i did thar
doesn't combo from 6% like its (J) counterpart but I don't think that automatically makes it worse. Both Utilts are very handy in different situations, you just have to learn when/where to use the American Utilt.
I agree, but one of my favorite scenarios is to get the opponent trapped at a low to very low percentage by the green house of death and start up-tilting their *** into a long combo.
With the American one they can just tech out of it, the Japanese one does more damage and has a more vertical trajectory (it can still be teched out of but still way more reliable).
Or even at a random part of the stage, build up a good chunk of damage through straight up-tilts.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's absurdly easy to link a couple U-Tilts here and there, punctuate with a close range boomerang, then finish with any number of moves.

It's not that the (U) U-Tilt is bad, it's just that the (J) one is ridiculous.

Even in the **** tent, U-Tilt > grab > U-Tilt > something. It works. Don't just use tactics from (J) in (U) and you won't have that complaint.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If it combos Falcon legitly at 0%, I say it's ridiculous.

It's hardly perfect, it's still has meh start-up speed and is still punishable if you hit a shield in front of you.

(U) Link needs his U-Tilt as well, it's a valuable combo tool, it lets you walk and U-Tilt an opponent, and it sets up to plenty of kill moves and edgeguard attempts. (J) U-Tilt would make him better, that's all. He doesn't *need* it, unless you mean that he needs it to rise half a tier or something.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
No, Kirby's u-tilt is ridiculous, Link's J up-tilt is perfect, and he NEEDS it.
They are both ridiculous, but Kirby's one is easily the most ridiculous of the two.

Link doesnt need it, what he needs is the (E) air speed + the (E) recovery

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I've heard about that but never actually seen it.
Would the air speed and momentum in a European tier list make him low or even mid tier?

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Well I can't lie. My Luigi was ****ty back then, but I was still kicking *** for a person who didn't wth was z-canceling or even DI was. I just learned on my own no guide no ****. HaHa :awesome: I would DI without even knowing such thing existed. Then I saw ppl taunt canceling and I thought it was cool so I just followed my opponent and just did what it seems like they were doing and I learned it. After a while I wanted to get better so I checked out the guide, which wasn't that long ago and it help me a bit. I'll read it in school and they be like wtf are you reading, and I be like you missing out. :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Sheer inspired me to play Yoshi when I was a n00b in smash I was like wtf when he wanted to play 2v1. Took off most of our stocks and I was like wow....After that day I wanted to play Yoshi, but I hated him with a passion because maneuvering his DJC was hard for me. After a while I got hella better and now I'm lovin Yoshi ^^

t3h Icy

Smash Master
The 64BR were supposed to do stuff, so someone else can change the list if you guys want to.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
I don't think samus should be bottom. sure, she might not have much in the way of combos but she is played in such a way that that doesn't really matter all that much. she gets wtfpwned by the top 5 or so, but the others? no. her jab, fsmash, bair and dair are all completely ridiculous. when played by someone who is defensive, she's near impossible to approach.

I honestly can't see how jiggs is better, she has one of the worst approaches in the game. it's difficult to start combos unless you get a grab with heavier characters, or your opponent just walks into an utilt, seeing as her dair is pretty much useless against people with good DI.

Just throwing that out there, feel free to shoot me down or try to persuade me otherwise.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Samus isn't bad by any means and can hold her own sure but every other character is just plain better. Jiggs might not be amazing at approach but if she can get the approach in she can often get a stock off. No doubt others will post more detailed explanations.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
ciasa is right, Samus is good, but it's also about the match up she has, tha other chars do slightly better, if not way too better.

okisme

Smash Cadet
So when is luigi gonna be greater than jiggs :o
never, puff is my worst matchup and kirby is a close 2nd, too much garanteed damage for both of them and a million jumps which i cant stand at all.

i dont even bother trying against a half good puff or kirby anymore

Olikus

Smash Champion
I don't think samus should be bottom. sure, she might not have much in the way of combos but she is played in such a way that that doesn't really matter all that much. she gets wtfpwned by the top 5 or so, but the others? no. her jab, fsmash, bair and dair are all completely ridiculous. when played by someone who is defensive, she's near impossible to approach.

I honestly can't see how jiggs is better, she has one of the worst approaches in the game. it's difficult to start combos unless you get a grab with heavier characters, or your opponent just walks into an utilt, seeing as her dair is pretty much useless against people with good DI.

Just throwing that out there, feel free to shoot me down or try to persuade me otherwise.
I kind of feel the same way. Like you said without the top 5, she is one of the caracthers I have most problems with. Im not saying she should be number 6 ofc, and her posision makes sense with the match up chart. But when you play samus at the highest level of play(wich this list is all about) I dont feel that samus is the caracther that has the least to offer, but that maybe just me.

And allso players like josuke and JaimeHR dominates with samus. We have yet to see the same with other caracthers low on the list( with exeption of one man).

Dont misunderstand me samus shouldnt be placed much higher than she allready is, maybe only 1 spot, Im just not feeling her being the worst caracrther.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The fact that Samus can pretty much only ever be defensive IMO puts her on the bottom.
Link may suck at approaching too, but his projectiles also double in the purpose of defending against opponents, and allowing him to approach. Samus doesn't really have anything like that.
She also lacks any potential for long combos.

Mahie

Smash Lord
You can be aggressive as Samus, just not on Hyrule.

On another topic : Fox and Kirby should be together in S tiers, and Pikachu should have his own SS tiers.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
The fact that Samus can pretty much only ever be defensive IMO puts her on the bottom.
Link may suck at approaching too, but his projectiles also double in the purpose of defending against opponents, and allowing him to approach. Samus doesn't really have anything like that.
She also lacks any potential for long combos.
If you are good enough, you can dodge links projectiles all day. Also no matter how good you are, if you get thrown out as Link, you'll die really easily.
Also, what Mahie said (in his 1st line)

Top Bottom