• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I find it interesting at how all our workout pump up songs are so different. The one I closest relate to is NeverKnowsBest.

The other two, I think the barbell would just be stuck on my chest.

Jane

Smash Hero
Here is mine. This song is one of the few songs that help me push when I have nothing left.

http://youtu.be/yVNOMj7ozfs
this song was dope. thanks for sharing, definitely a song that would get me through a workout hard.

this is actually my favorite nicki minaj song. lol. dat bass

SO 90s. i ****ing love it haha.

i suppose i'll share a workout song. well, actually i'm gonna share a part of a song. i mean, this is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, but this specific part of the song... i was running and was about to stop because, you know, i was tired and ****... but this part came on and at that moment i realized how powerful music can be, cuz i probably ran for an extra mile simply because of this 1:30 long part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkH0Yoj9fsc#t=3m50s

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I find it interesting at how all our workout pump up songs are so different. The one I closest relate to is NeverKnowsBest.

The other two, I think the barbell would just be stuck on my chest.
Obviously it's because you're not feeling the vibration.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ugh, I think I strained my left shoulder really bad trying to do dumbbell cleans. I could barely lift the 55 lb ones, and that lift off just felt wrong on my left arm. Shoulder is really sore in general. Guess I'll be moving back to barbell cleans.

I hope this pain goes away soon.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Ugh, I think I strained my left shoulder really bad trying to do dumbbell cleans. I could barely lift the 55 lb ones, and that lift off just felt wrong on my left arm. Shoulder is really sore in general. Guess I'll be moving back to barbell cleans.

I hope this pain goes away soon.
Whatever you do, respect shoulder pain and give it plenty of time to heal. It's a strong but fussy joint. At one point two years ago, I hadn't let my shoulder heal completely after a minor strain, and tried to bench because the pain was almost totally gone and I hadn't benched in a couple weeks. I felt a little pain (the bad skeletal kind, not the regular muscle soreness or burn or fatigue) but pushed through it anyway, and realized very quickly it was a mistake. A mistake that put me out of commission for four months, during which time I couldn't do any chest or shoulder work, heh.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'll definitely be careful. Woke up today, and shoulder feels better than last night. Still a bit sore. Just doing the basic stuff now like applying ice every now and then, and taking advil.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well this is lame. My shoulder had been feeling fine the last few days. Go do upper body workout and a bit into my workout, my shoulder starts giving me pain. Finished my workout, but it hurts worse than before.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
So yesterday I had a terrible day at the gym. Was benching 45s and after my first set of 10 I couldn't get past 4. So I decided to use dumbells. 45s couldn't get past 5, 40s couldn't get past 5, 35s struggled to finish a 2 sets of 10. As soon as I finished that set I knew something was wrong.

My friend who is now a trainer at the gym now came up to me and told me it was probably a number of things like stress, lack of food intake, (I was eating well under cutting and haven't been drinking water) and only getting 5 hours of sleep a day.

Been really struggling these past few days because I finally hit 209lbs and then had a binge day with my family for my cousin's birthday at a Korean BBQ. Ever since then I've jumped back up to 215, and have had a hard time mentally.

Ugh, the struggle is endless.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I have been in what seems like a never ending stressful few weeks.
It has really taken a toll on my exercises, I am slacking and I can feel myself be weaker and weaker every day.
I need to get my **** together so I can continue doing this.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Today at my local YMCA was the start of the 2nd annual 100 mile Swim Club. The goal is to swim 100 miles in one year. I'm not much of a swimmer at all, but I have decided to take on the challenge. Wound up with 0.50 miles today. That's a lot more than I expected from myself. My form wasn't pretty by any means. I hope to become a better swimmer.

I also ran 5.60 miles in 45:43 today. The weather was crisp.

11/1/2012-10/31/2013 Swim Miles: 0.50 Miles

Update

11/2/2012: Swam 0.50 Miles, Ran 5 Miles in 41:36

11/1/2012-10/31/2013 Swim Miles: 1 Mile

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I swam a half mile about 2-4 minutes faster in the pool today than Friday. I didn't feel quicker, but the time seemed to go quicker. I'm not exactly what the benefits are in full for swimming aside from working a lot of muscles, but it's fun to do and I love the challenge of going 100 miles in a year so far. Up to 1.5 miles in the first 5 days. I swam 3 of the 5.

11/6/2012: Went for another half mile swim. I now have 2 miles on the year goal. Even though it's still early in the training, I feel a tad bit stronger at swimming and feel the form is coming along a bit as well. If I keep this up I will be excited to see how much I might improve at swimming by at least March of 2013.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I feel a lot stronger in the pool now compared to when I first started swimming two weeks ago. Overall, I'm nowhere near being a decent swimmer, but my stamina feels much more improved. I need to swim a mile non-stop soon, for I've only been doing half-mile swims.

Up to 3 miles on the month.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm about to go to the gym wearing short shorts. trying not to gaf

They're a gift from the bf, but most importantly they have back pockets! Finally I can deadlift without scrapping against my phone!

Jane

Smash Hero
dude last time i wore short shorts to the gym, i felt like such a baller. im serious, and no, i dont know why.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Have officially switched from strength training (5 reps) to more of a muscle building one (8-12 reps). Some different exercises too. Also, a 4 day split instead of 3. Chest day left me sore.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So I gained 10 pounds but I don't feel like I did. I don't really know how I gained that much poundage but my mind's now beginning to worry that I feel like I have to go back to "desperate weight loss" me.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Really enjoy Steve Nash gym, got a 2 week pass there. Sadly it costs so much to join, unlike my other gym that's like...50% the price. Ugh.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Really enjoy Steve Nash gym, got a 2 week pass there. Sadly it costs so much to join, unlike my other gym that's like...50% the price. Ugh.
Isn't it only $19/month?

Also, you should play Melee/Brawl with the Vancouver players :)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Any of you guys use creatine?
Yeah, it's quite a useful supplement. There's a lot of creatine in red meat too, a lot of people don't know that. Also so does fish.

Still, supplementing does help in terms of getting more out of your workouts.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm thinking of buying a bottle of some. Been googling around for some basic info, but my main questions are this...

1. I've heard you have to increase water intake by a lot? Confirm?

2. Do you take it before, after, or on off days of working out?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well creatine does cause water retention and such things so during the loading phase you're definitely going to be thirstier. Just listen to your body in that regard.

I personally just take some before and some after the workout so I'm always at good levels.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd recommend being very attentive of your water intake when on creatine. Which reminds me. *glugs down water bottle*

You will feel very very bad if you don't get enough water. Creatine is dehydrating. The kind I take is loaded with a ton of caffeine as well - I take it a little before working out and it gives me a HUGE boost in energy.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Isn't it only $19/month?

Also, you should play Melee/Brawl with the Vancouver players :)

Nope, $100 activation fee, then 30 or 50 a month after. My other gym is like...20/month. No activation fee.

I would, cept I have no idea where tournaments are even hosted in Vancouver! Otherwise I would come a rockin with my Luigi haha.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I've never really had a problem keeping hydrated. I don't really get how you can end up not getting enough water when it is readily available. o.o

Like dude, you will get thirsty and want to drink. Wat.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Nope, $100 activation fee, then 30 or 50 a month after. My other gym is like...20/month. No activation fee.

I would, cept I have no idea where tournaments are even hosted in Vancouver! Otherwise I would come a rockin with my Luigi haha.
Wow that's crazy. I pay like $16.something after taxes at Club 16 :p

And the tournament venue is super convenient (a few minutes walk from Royal Oak station) and our next tournament is THIS Saturday. There are also Smashfests almost every Saturday there to fill your Melee, Brawl, and PM cravings :) (We have an extremely active community for all three games!) Check this link out for all the details and to just hang out! (You should introduce yourself!)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290293

:peach: <3

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I've never really had a problem keeping hydrated. I don't really get how you can end up not getting enough water when it is readily available. o.o

Like dude, you will get thirsty and want to drink. Wat.
One of my better habits is always keeping a water bottle on hand, but I didn't always use to get a proper amount. I used to be, and I know a lot of people that almost entirely subsist on soda. :urg:

Proper hydration is always important, but even moreso on creatine. It can be really really nasty.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Wow that's crazy. I pay like $16.something after taxes at Club 16 :p

And the tournament venue is super convenient (a few minutes walk from Royal Oak station) and our next tournament is THIS Saturday. There are also Smashfests almost every Saturday there to fill your Melee, Brawl, and PM cravings :) (We have an extremely active community for all three games!) Check this link out for all the details and to just hang out! (You should introduce yourself!)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290293

:peach: <3
Wow really? Royal Oak is less than an hour away too. Maybe I should check it out...

And on another note, running 4 km a day to the gym is great to improve cardio!

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I have no idea what the proper amount of water should be on a daily basis. Isn't it 1 liter, or 32 Fluid ounces? It's basically the same as a Gatorade waterbottle you see in sports on television. Also, if your urine is clear, or a straw yellow it's an indicator you are well hydrated.

I swam a half-mile once again today. Up to 3.5 miles for November in the pool. I've been lacking on the weights, and shockingly the running as of late. I really got to get dedicated to all three in unision and not worry about how I feel/results. If the weather doesn't get too cold, biking should be in the plans as well.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
One of my better habits is always keeping a water bottle on hand, but I didn't always use to get a proper amount. I used to be, and I know a lot of people that almost entirely subsist on soda. :urg:

Proper hydration is always important, but even moreso on creatine. It can be really really nasty.
Carbonated drinks make me thirsty lol.

Top Bottom