• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I actually couldn't remember if it was spelled "snoodude" or "snooddude" so I opted for two words seeing as it was the concept that really mattered, mwahah.

Not sure if rolling into a room dressed as Snake is part of some wild fantasy or not, but that is something Snood probably has done. Except he would also be wearing a crazy Pikachu hat as well. X^D

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Did Foos actually come down to Eugene yesterday? I think I missed out. T_T

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Nope you didn't miss out, I was gonna go down for the Eugene melee smashfesty thingy but I ended up goin to a party on saturday and didn't wake up til 3pm sunday so I decided to not go.

kwanzai

Smash Rookie
My friend and I recently moved to Hillsboro, and we are old school melee players who are now getting into Project M. I was just wondering if there is any place people play in the area. The only place I've heard of is Best Bout, but I don't know much else.

Also, if anyone feels like smashing in Hillsboro, we've got a lagless stream setup and we play pretty much every other day.

Binx

Smash Master
Is there a link to the changes made?

On one hand I kind of like it cause it can bring new life to some characters, but on the otherhand I don't really like patches in games because they cause people to abandon strategies based on nerfs and buffs rather than experimentation and refinement.

I dont even think the metagame is stale right now, falco on fox are maybe a little bit too strong but other than that I feel like anyone in the game can beat anyone else provided someone is good enough and not playing pichu or kirby.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Shane and I have our new place, so we'll probably be holding smashfests more frequently once we settle in. We live right off the max line, so it's an easy commute.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Is there a link to the changes made?

On one hand I kind of like it cause it can bring new life to some characters, but on the otherhand I don't really like patches in games because they cause people to abandon strategies based on nerfs and buffs rather than experimentation and refinement.

I dont even think the metagame is stale right now, falco on fox are maybe a little bit too strong but other than that I feel like anyone in the game can beat anyone else provided someone is good enough and not playing pichu or kirby.
There's no list of changes yet, don't know why but its supposedly coming up. Right now its just fun to play with; it was just released and with so many changes, it's obviously not balanced yet. But in time it could and likely will be really legit. If it can be made to be more balanced than the original, with no serious downsides, I don't see why a community-built mod couldn't be taken seriously. The biggest obstacle to that is that not everyone plays on a Wii or would be willing/able to mod their Wii. That said, they did a good job making this project easy to install for someone who has never modded. All you need is a melee .iso and an SD card or usb hard drive. There's a program that makes all the changes to the iso for you.

Also, this is worth trying out just to kick *** with Ness...just saying...his down b is pretty much a shine rofl

edit: changelist here: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/forum-196.html

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think there should only be minor changes, otherwise the characters will play differently. Basically the top tier characters should see only very minor changes if any and the lower tiers will be the ones getting moves buffed here and there.

It would be cool if they started off using the changes found in PAL since that is technically the 'newest' version of Melee. It already has a few interesting tweaks, most notably Sheik's d-throw sending the opponent further out in order to prevent her from chain-grabbing half the cast.

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
I think they changed Sheik into PAL Sheik. They might have made a few more changes to her, idk. From what I've read, I think they mainly just messed with the lower tiered characters since they suck.

Not sure if I'm interested in it though. Project M seems vastly superior.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm thinking that people play Melee for the fact that it is Melee and if you start changing it then you're no longer playing Melee. At that point you might as well be playing Project M.

It's still interesting enough for me to try out.

Edit:
Here's a link I found to a 'preview video' that was produced for SD Remix:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRNU8CHevf0

It's looking like they're taking the project in the right direction. :)

Binx

Smash Master
Ya i kind of agree with timmy might as well play project M if your gonna change melee.

Better graphics new characters similar gameplay.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I like the graphics of SSB more. It looks infinitely better than brawl lol. There is something to be said about the charm of simplicity.

keeper

Smash Champion
Melee don't got playable Charizard
Neither does Brawl
Zing.

I like the graphics of SSB more. It looks infinitely better than brawl lol. There is something to be said about the charm of simplicity.
I like the graphics in Melee the most in that I like the character model sizes in relation to the screen and stage the most. They've gotten progressively larger through the series.
The problem I have, even with Project M, is that the characters don't feel like they carry the same weight that they do in melee and they retain their Brawl model size to stage ratio. No light shield kind of sucks too.
Modded Melee seems fun, especially if they make Fox and whatnot (except Ganondorf and Samus) the same as their PAL counterparts, that sounds good. Though, I would be a little salty about Sheik since I feel the way her dthrow works is the reason she can do anything to Fox, but maybe my opinion would change after playing against PAL spacies (also, why did they change her Uair?).

The keeper I knew never used to put money before Smash.
I would always complain about money spent at tournaments, lol. Never had a job back then either.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That didn't seem like a zing to me since Brawl does have a playable Charizard. :\
I'm with Gage in thinking that Charizard is awesome. :charizard: rawr

I like the graphics in Melee the most in that I like the character model sizes in relation to the screen and stage the most. They've gotten progressively larger through the series.
Wait, doesn't SSB have the largest model-to-stage ratio in the series? I'm just going by what I remember, but I've played a lot of all three games and it definitely feels like the original Smash had the largest characters.

The problem I have, even with Project M, is that the characters don't feel like they carry the same weight that they do in melee
Agreed. Fox feels funny to me in Project M, and that might be why. Then again, I'm pretty adaptable with falling speeds since I play all kinds of characters: Kirby/Fox in Melee; Kirby/Dedede in Brawl - those are very sharply contrasting falling speeds in their respective games.

Modded Melee seems fun, especially if they make Fox and whatnot (except Ganondorf and Samus) the same as their PAL counterparts
I don't know enough about PAL, so I'll have to ask what it was they changed about Ganondorf and Samus and what it is that you don't prefer about it.

I would always complain about money spent at tournaments, lol. Never had a job back then either.
The keeper I remember was kind-hearted, wise, fashionably-dressed, and never complained about anything.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Just hosted a little tourney with SD remix yesterday. Ness and mew2 are lookin pretty damn high tier. Ness can pressure for days with DJC backwards>pk fire. And that shine. He can break out of some combos, like fox upthrow to upair at some percents, and even follow up possibly. Its also pretty good for shield pressure, but it's not so fast that there's nothing they can do about it.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Shane, Pwneroni, and I now have the newest Project M. If you're trying to get down on playing any character besides Fox, Mario, and Link. You guys can come on over

keeper

Smash Champion
That didn't seem like a zing to me since Brawl does have a playable Charizard. :\
I'm with Gage in thinking that Charizard is awesome. :charizard: rawr

Wait, doesn't SSB have the largest model-to-stage ratio in the series? I'm just going by what I remember, but I've played a lot of all three games and it definitely feels like the original Smash had the largest characters.

Agreed. Fox feels funny to me in Project M, and that might be why. Then again, I'm pretty adaptable with falling speeds since I play all kinds of characters: Kirby/Fox in Melee; Kirby/Dedede in Brawl - those are very sharply contrasting falling speeds in their respective games.

I don't know enough about PAL, so I'll have to ask what it was they changed about Ganondorf and Samus and what it is that you don't prefer about it.

The keeper I remember was kind-hearted, wise, fashionably-dressed, and never complained about anything.
I like Charizard. He's who I settled on in Project M back in one of their beta phases. In actual Brawl, he's pretty bad since you can only use him for two minutes.

The stages are all much larger in comparison to the characters and their move speeds. The best examples I have of this are Dreamland [64] and Sector Z/Corneria. I like Melee's relationship between the characters and the stages the most, but perhaps that's because I've played it much more than SSB, but playing SSB is something I do more with friends than to be "good" at.

It's not even falling speeds, because I think they did get that right. There's something that feels off with momentum and movements. Like if I were to SHFFL Nairs across a stage in Melee vs. PM with Fox. Maybe I am delusional.

The nerfed Ganondorf's Fair (knockback) and Dair (the percent it does). They got rid of Samus's extended grapple for some reason in PAL as well.

Current me is perpetually tired and jaded. Though, I did wear a turtleneck to school once already this term.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Newest Project: M as in the newest one that's publicly available (2.1) or did you somehow get the new one with Ivysuar and Squirtle and ledge-techs?

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Did my Link scar you guys that much ;)

I tried Squirtle out, he's pretty fluid, combos well, and is harder to kill than Charizard it feels like. Bubble spikes and trips are ****. It's pretty easy to outspace him though :(

I entered my first PM tourney here and was losing to Axe until I played Ike, what a fraudulent character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom