• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I always look to support the Portland scene, if WA is coming down maybe we can find our way up there again. Oregon definitely should not disappoint out of state guests. :^]

And I missed out on the Aria game. The only thing I can think of is Castlevania: Aria of Sorrows.
That's all I got, sorry X^D

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Best bout is the 3rd weekend this time around. It will also be the last one I'll be hosting cause I'm moving to salem again and can't say for sure if I'll be there.

:phone:

Binx

Smash Master
anyone doing smashfest soon? im itching to play.

Or does anyone wanna just come over to my place in gresham and smash for a bit get some practice in?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Next Wednesday, Shane and I will probably do a project M smashfest at Pitas house for any of you who remember him. I'll talk to him and see if he's down to have more people over.

Binx

Smash Master
lets do tuesday, my brothers bday is monday

my phone number is 503 460 7374 just text me sometime with the time you wanna come by.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
^ as in you want a few people to come up, or a smashfest? :o

Either way, IC vs Yoshi is fun, so I'm down.

IC vs Yoshi is reallly fun.

Binx

Smash Master
I only have 1 tv but if people wanna bring more i could have like 4 people or so over comfortably, after that we'd be pretty cramped for space my gaming room is pretty small.

keeper

Smash Champion

keeper

Smash Champion
I enjoy watching it and I don't play too much. I hate watching Archon toilet win games though because it's ********.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Is Ike banned yet?
Haters gonna hate.
I don't think he's broken, so he shouldn't be banned, but he is obviously and definitely OP. The other characters need to be buffed up to his level and everything should be fine after that.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
T!mmy, please read what you just said. . . are you actually saying that if Ike is better than every other character, it is a problem with every other character, and Ike isn't broken?

You drive down the highway going 55, and notice everyone is going 25:
Is everyone wrong and you should keep going 55, or could it be that the singular outlier, yourself, is wrong, and you should slow down?

Summary: Nerf Ike, don't buff EVERYONE. -.-

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
T!mmy, please read what you just said. . . are you actually saying that if Ike is better than every other character, it is a problem with every other character, and Ike isn't broken?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I go by the actual gaming term of 'broken', not the term that has become commonplace among scrubs to exaggerate an 'over-powered' character (also known as 'cheap').

'Broken' literally means the character 'breaks' the game, as in causing it to crash/freeze or otherwise become unplayable. It's easy to see how this became the go-to adjective to describe a character when complaining about why said character should be banned.

If there's some sort of glitch with Ike that I am unaware of, then just let me know and I will join in with anyone calling him broken. Until then, I will simply agree that he is 'overpowered' and perhaps even 'cheap', and leave it at that.

You drive down the highway going 55, and notice everyone is going 25:
Is everyone wrong and you should keep going 55, or could it be that the singular outlier, yourself, is wrong, and you should slow down?
I would suppose some indication as to the speed limit would give better insight in answering this question. From what I gather, Melee players would want somewhere around 100 mph while Brawl players would want it to be about 25 mph. Everyone going 55 is just playing a slow version of Project: M where the real fun is with Ike at almost-Melee speed.

keeper

Smash Champion
It's really hard to make it so every character is good and has moves that are all usable, useful, and complement other moves from that character. Here's a list of examples of really good melee characters that have some insanely good moves with others that are either the most situational ever or are pretty much entirely useless: Peach dsmash to Peach utilt and ftilt, Fox usmash to Fox fair, Sheik most things to Sheik downb.

Usually the better a character is, the more likely it is that none, or few, of their moves are useless. Marth and Falco's most useless attacks are still really good. Sheik's most useless is changing to another character. That's kind of why watching low tier and playing lower tier characters is boring, you have to abuse their very few good moves while also dealing with their other vulnerabilities that would make any other character fragile. Such as how Mewtwo, Pichu, Kirby, Mr. Game & Watch all suffer from being incredibly light, but don't have the power to back it up like Jigglypluff, Fox, or Falco. Similarly how Mewtwo and Bowser both suffer from having massive character models that make them easy to pressure or hit with projectiles. At least with Project M they can change it at almost any time and can test things, unlike any other fighter game I've ever heard of or seen (afaik the dudes at Capcom at least try really hard, but it's not like they hold open betas or something). That's something I've always felt was really neglected in the "scene" by developers even though I know Nintendo doesn't care whether or not their game is competition friendly.

It's more so that they need to make it so the flow works. If every character is dying between 60%-90% when they aren't gimped, perhaps attacks need to have a little less knockback or something. This works from the opposite direction (the Brawl direction) where stocks feel "too long" and you're expected to die around 125%-150%. Ideally (at least I think so), not including the variable of stage sizes, characters of medium weight should be getting knocked into the blast zone from 95%-105% by attacks that are meant to kill.

I'm a professional game designer with many credentials, obviously. Next week I'll discuss why most games have horrible controls or interfaces that are clunky and make little sense (or whenever if anyone actually wants to read that).

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Oh, T!mmy. Read my message and read yours. As much as I like your breakdown of the term broken, I never said he was. You simply defended that he wasn't, I said "Is Ike banned yet?" I want to know this,, because he holds an unfair advantage over the other characters to the point where I think the game would be more interesting without him. Also, I was talking about the logic behind Ike, even if I used the term "Broken" it would have been beside the point, because the exact word I would have used is a technicality.

Also, Keeper, have you seen my Yoshi play, it is low tier, and I use every move. Yoshi ftw.

I don't m,ind if some characters can't use all of their moves btw, as long as there is a ,legitimate attempt to keep the entire character balanced.

keeper

Smash Champion
Yoshi has it so that pretty much all of his moves are usable, but none of them are particularly great. I'd argue that his side-b is almost entirely useless except for having fun.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Side B has some versatility, on sloped stages it becomes super fast and strong (kills Jiggs @ 60% on the non-legal Yoshi stage)(moves the wing on Corneria to the tip in about 1s) and is a decent shakeup for recovery, but if an oponent suspects it / is ready for it / edgegaurded it several times before, they can kill you decently with it.

I would say that if he had a move like Marth's FSmash or Falco's Dair, his game would move around the OPed move, though.

keeper

Smash Champion
There's like, 1/6th of a stage with a slope on it (the PS transformation). I'm pretty sure Corneria isn't legal anymore. That move would have been okay if it wasn't so slow on the start-up and could have almost anything hit through it. Kind of like Falcon Kick.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
PS doesn't really work, oh well.

Moral of the story is: Yoshi is a viable character, even though he intentionally sandbags 100% of his matches because he doesn't use his hands.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh, T!mmy. Read my message and read yours. As much as I like your breakdown of the term broken, I never said he was.
Yes you said 'banned' and not 'broken' but from my perspective you don't slap a hard ban on a character unless he's broken, so my previous post is a good springboard into the discussion. Plus I never said you said he was broken, either. ;)

It's possible a fighting game can be 'better' with everyone agreeing not to play a character that is obviously leagues above everyone else, so for that I'll concur with what you're saying. The question at hand is whether or not Ike is such a character. I don't think he's obviously and massively better than all other characters in Project: M. There are at least a handful of characters who seem to be about on par with Ike, though the learning curve is obviously different. Lucario and Ganondorf come to mind, plus there are a few other characters that can get wins against Ike even if the match-up is slightly in Ike's Favor (these match-ups are sort of debatable since it's still relatively early in the game's life, but I hear Bowser and Falco among others can do well vs Ike).

Since Project: M is still in 'Demo' release, I will conclude there's no reason to ban Ike. Personally I feel his level of play is about spot-on for Project: M and I would rather see other characters buffed up to his level before thinking about dishing out possible nerfs to Ike.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Considering it is a demo, there isn't a large scale ruleset for the game, so no viable way for him to be banned, I was making a lighthearted play at how annoying he is, and I think he is definitely better than all the other characters. Although Gannon and Lucario? I haven't really seen anyone play Gannon, and isn't Lucario pretty average (but flashy)?

Also, I don't see why they banned Yoshi.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
to sum up your boring conversations

Melee sucks, Yoshi sucks, Project M is the best and Ike isn't that broken (This is coming from the person who will complain about him 24/7 while playing the game)

Binx

Smash Master
if anyone is playing gw2 im on northern shiverpeaks now since my brother couldnt join darkhaven due to it being full

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Ike's good but not great. Sheik still handles him easy, and I'd imagine a technically consistent Fox wouldn't have serious issues in that matchup as well. I would rather prefer everyone be buffed rather than one character be nerfed, though that's not practical. Ike also doesn't have any great moves with near-instant start-up and fast cool down, which is what really holds him back.

Yoshi is underrated but STILL SUCKS.

YEAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom