• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Smash Champion
Braaaannnddoonn.

I don't know how often you read the boards (I remember you saying when I was at your place once "why don't I post more? It's my homepage!"), but I'm free Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday if you'd like to play.

"SOregon" has that many people because of the schools there. Albeit I'd really call Eugene and Corvallis Central Oregon. Not many people really live in actual SOregon. The same thing happens for NorCal. Not many people live up near Redding and Lake Tahoe when compared to the rest of the state.

Capncone, you wouldn't happen to go to U of O would you?

Pita

Smash Apprentice
If I went to the Eugene tournament, would I be able to play both SSBM AND SSB64? Because that would be legit. I love SSB64 except I can't play it very often because my N64 is PAL and my TVs are all NTSC... Also my controllers are broken.

Also, Allisbrawl doesn't show the entrance fee. What is it? What do we get for it? It's kinda far for some of us, so let me question if it's worth it.

If I do end up going, I'm offering rides in exchange for gas money.

keeper

Smash Champion
If I went to the Eugene tournament, would I be able to play both SSBM AND SSB64? Because that would be legit. I love SSB64 except I can't play it very often because my N64 is PAL and my TVs are all NTSC... Also my controllers are broken.

Also, Allisbrawl doesn't show the entrance fee. What is it? What do we get for it? It's kinda far for some of us, so let me question if it's worth it.

If I do end up going, I'm offering rides in exchange for gas money.
I posted on the page asking for such information.

I kind of hope Smash 64 will be on the virtual console so I can actually play it. >.>

capncone

Smash Apprentice
Braaaannnddoonn.

I don't know how often you read the boards (I remember you saying when I was at your place once "why don't I post more? It's my homepage!"), but I'm free Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday if you'd like to play.

"SOregon" has that many people because of the schools there. Albeit I'd really call Eugene and Corvallis Central Oregon. Not many people really live in actual SOregon. The same thing happens for NorCal. Not many people live up near Redding and Lake Tahoe when compared to the rest of the state.

Capncone, you wouldn't happen to go to U of O would you?
Yes I do happen to go to U of O.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
capn, we should get together and smash or something =o since we live way closer to eugene than any other smash area >.> also... you know G&W is amazing <3

Surreal

Smash Ace
Capncone, who do you play?

Btw don't let Cactuarz try to talk you into playing low tiers. Most of them aren't fun and they really do suck.

If by chance you do play a really bad character, expect me to beat you a lot out of grudge to help you see the light of good characters.

£:V

capncone

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry I play marth, but I do think low tiers are are great. And cactuarz I would love to play sometime. I haven't had a chance to play anyone but the kids in my hall yet.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
i'm not gonna convert him or anything =o he should play the char he thinks is fun to play as *G&W* what?

Get on the aim you have on here and i'll talk to ya, we can play pretty often =o

debaser

Smash Lord
hey capncone, I'm a guy in Eugene who likes to play melee (just finished at UO).

when you're not busy we should meet up and play :D

Surreal

Smash Ace
I like playing against sheik with characters who are at a disadvantage against her, aka marth falcon and ganon.

Btw for my fellow falco players of OR I have stuff I want to share that I found out practicing today:

On battlefield, if you run/walk off the lower platforms towards the middle of the stage, keep moving that way when you jump off, and then jump and do an aerial, you'll ledge cancel off the top platform like 95% of the time. You gotta hold forward the whole time though.

You can do this on YS too but it's a lot harder and I'm not entirely sure what makes it so you can't always do it, but I think it has to do with the timing of your jump. If you do fair though it's easier to ledge cancel. It's not really a bad idea to use it there anyways since it has good range and it'll ledge cancel anyways.

You can do it sorta on FoD but it's weird with their platforms. To do a ledge cancel off the top platform from the lower ones, you have to wait until you're just barely above the ground before doing your jump.

On Dreamland you can't do a ledge cancel on the top from lower platforms, but you can full hop from the bottom and ledge cancel off the top. You can do it with running when you jump when you're in that gap in between the lower and the top platforms.

I'm probably just late to the party on this stuff but if you guys didn't know, then...yeah. If you're a pro and can just ledge cancel anywhere wherever you want then disregard this, but for people who suck at setting up ledge cancels like me these are some nice things to note for easy ways to edge cancel off certain parts of the stages. They're mostly impractical but there may be times they could come in use.

£:V

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Capncone, who do you play?

Btw don't let Cactuarz try to talk you into playing low tiers. Most of them aren't fun and they really do suck.

If by chance you do play a really bad character, expect me to beat you a lot out of grudge to help you see the light of good characters.
I kind of take offense to that jeff. Saying a character is bad is one thing and obviously obvious, but trying to say that any character is not fun for no reason is totally opinion and stating it as fact is not kosher. At least Eriq isn't being serious when he calls someone shiek (or in my case pika) scum.

<3

Surreal

Smash Ace
I honestly don't see how it can be fun maining a character with little to no options for everything and not being able to do much to a lot of characters.

It is a fact that they have less options, it is an opinion that having to try and win under such circumstances is painful. I'm not really one of those people who has to win to have fun, but if I'm gonna play someone, I at least want the character to have some use, man.

I'm sorry I didn't say "imo" at the end of that sentence.

Btw Eric actually does hate pikachu and he's not joking around.

Surreal

Smash Ace
I don't even care about the double post, but is anyone from NOregon going to the Corvallis thing on the 16th? I wanna go! :< I'll give you 5 bucks in gas money. >.>

And to Corvallis, do you guys want to have a tourney on that day?

keeper

Smash Champion
Playing a character that basically puts you at a huge disadvantage, with less options, and in some cases just has stupid **** (the entire character that is Yoshi), is hard to imagine as being fun.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
The thing about playing low tiers is bragging rights. If you beat someone with Mewtwo you are amazing.

And yes we should have a tourney on the 16th. 1 or 2 dollar buy in imo, Round Robin possibly.

Surreal

Smash Ace
K now I reaaaaally wanna go down. Jesse's coming and he said he'd do doubles with me if I came. We would finally get to be a doubles team in tournament. :3

ChinesePanda777

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty cool to just play characters that you really like even if they're terribad.

Yoshi is just so awful though haha. And if Kirby was at least semi-decent, I'd main him.

<3 <('. ' <)

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
PIKA SCUM! actually i love pika a lot haha. just the matchup vs G&W is kinda boring. Sheik vs G&W is one of my favorite matchups of all time, doesn't stop me from calling sheik scum <3. It's a sutherlin thing.

Pika/G&W/Yoshi have a lot more options than most low tiers, mostly because they're all EXTREMELY mobile. I can't attest to why people like their low tiers, but I LOVE playing G&W mostly because his metagame is so underdeveloped, that I feel like I'm creating his metagame as I play. I feel like he has a lot more options now than when I first picked him up. His great waveland and easy edge cancels are really fun.

His non campy (by force =o) playstyle with high movement capabilities fits my general playstyle. Also his long range helps me mix it up. I don't notice this "huge disadvantage" while I play honestly =c fox is the only one that comes to mind, and I'm pretty much over that now that I'm getting good at avoiding stupid shinespikes at 10%.

Basically, we play low tiers (wad/me/chuck/whoever) because we have fun with them... the game is about having fun. If you think picking falco is fun, play falco, if you wanna **** with bowser, go for it.

The only thing I call you guys seriously is tier***s... cause you guys really can be tier***s, and don't realize that it can be fun to not be no items, fox only, final destination...

All Items on low, Mushroom Kingdom 2, 4 player guard match... GET AT SUTHERLIN

Surreal

Smash Ace
Yeah, having no L cancel on three of your aerials and not being able to jump OOS isn't at all a huge disadvantage in options compared to other characters.

Also, I like how only the low tier kids got mad.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Jeff you only notice the disadvantage and lack of options because you've been spoiled by playing upper tier characters. When you start out playing a character that you want to play simply because you want to play with it, in my case a low tier character, it makes you view the game differently than if you started playing with easier characters just to have a head start on being good. I believe that when you play with low tier characters, your skill level has to catch up even more to be able to match that of the people around you. I think it's discriminative for someone to tell other people they shouldn't play low tiers just because they're not good or competitive. Anyone who does has been hanging around gage too long. And if you're going to exploit weaknesses, do it to make people better, not to make people switch characters. That just has negative nancy written all over it.

Anyway, I will be out of town this weekend, so you guys have fun at your smashfest. Monday might work for me though if you guys were up for that.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I forget G&W can't L cancel those 3 aerials all the time. Cause it's not an important thing in his playstyle. I'm not saying that they aren't at a disadvantage, but i'm saying it doesn't make them not fun. I have fun with G&W, it's a game, games are supposed to be fun =D

I've said it before, I don't play melee to win tourneys haha, it's just a great game to have fun with, of course I wanna get better, but having fun is more important.

Surreal

Smash Ace
Tyler, you forget that I've seconded like 4/5 of the cast. I've put a lot of time into low tiers and played them seriously. Pichu, Roy, Link, Kirby, Bowser, and so on. I haven't been spoiled at all from high tiers, I just know that they're the better choice and I have fun being able to choose what I can do in a match instead of being restricted with spamming two attacks over and over (not cause you don't get a choice, but you basically HAVE to if you want to actually hit the other person). I know full well what it's like to play characters like fox with characters like bowser or pichu (though pichu does that his techchase, but that's besides the point and he still sucks against fox), and I know it's not easy at all.

When I exploit weaknesses, I exploit both the player's bad habits (such as baiting them to roll and fsmashing them), as well as exploiting their character's bad qualities (remember when you turnip camped my DK and I kept getting shield poked. Yeah, it's exactly like that). When you exploit a character's weaknesses, there isn't much the other person can do to avoid it. Game and Watch will always have a bad shield no matter how smart the player playing him is, and the smarter alternative to shielding with GaW isn't really smarter at all (never using shield basically and being forced to be super aggro which makes them predictable).

I do wish for people to play high tiers, not for the sake of hostility towards people who play low tiers, but because I've been down that road, and I'm trying to advise people to not make the same horrible mistake a lot of people make when they first join the scene. It's admirable to become good with low tiers, it really is. But for a majority of the people, that goal won't happen and it will only cause frustration and they'll end up switching anyways usually. I'm trying to save them time.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
*cough* G&W can play defensively... dire was probably the ultimate defensive G&W. It's like playing as marth, cept you duck where marth sheilds haha. I mix the aggro and the defensive style when I play, if I'm actually trying haha. Also the light sheild isn't bad for G&W, just use it to push yourself away, but know when you can get away with it and when you can't.

You know I can play almost the entire cast =o I think I've been playing longer than you as well. I have mained high tiers (peach/jiggs, some fox/falco) for probably 4-5 years straight, till I realized they weren't my style. I have so much more frustration playing as say, jigglypuff and missing 1-2 bairs or not being able to break out of a combo with fox than I do by getting shinespiked by fox at 10% on stage, to my death. Mostly cause I'm stuck playing as a playstyle I don't like, or feel fits my style than I do with my G&W. It's hard to get frustrated when you're having fun =D.

Some low tiers who have to use 1-2 moves (uhhh dk? maybe roy? zelda has a few) I don't like cause they aren't fun. Pika you have a lot of movement, G&W too. Movement creates options and lets them do more than 1-2 moves.

Honestly, if you have fun with your char, you won't get frustrated as much. I honestly bet my jiggs would be my best char if i spent a week or two getting used to it again, but I couldn't do that to myself, cause it's not fun... I kinda like fox, but my tech skill isn't on point, and I don't feel as motivated to learn him as I do with my G&W. Probably cause I feel like i'm making some minute difference with G&W. It makes me feel good haha.

tl;dr Frustration tends to not occur when you're having fun =D

Binx

Smash Master
<3 Oregon

So before I mained Ice Climbers I mained Marth, and after enough time I got bored playing Marth and stopped improving because his playstyle fit me in some aspects but not all and my play stagnated considerably.

So one day I watched a bunch of videos of all the characters on youtube and what convinced me to start playing ICs was some really really bad player doing a nanapult blizzard, its where nana runs jumps and blizzards half way across FD without Popo.

I lost my next 100 games, but eventually after enough dedication I started winning and now I feel like I can be as creative and reactive as I want because my limited options force me to use the options I have smarter. Also because of desynchs and tricks and stuff I can be really unpredictable. Also they suit my playstyle of primarily defensive play with a focus on hard punishment.

So I think that some characters are primarily limited and if you arent willing to put in the work to be good with them they will be much worse than some higher tiers like sheik fox ect. But if you enjoy them you will improve no matter what and its awesome.

debaser

Smash Lord
<3 Oregon

So before I mained Ice Climbers I mained Marth, and after enough time I got bored playing Marth and stopped improving because his playstyle fit me in some aspects but not all and my play stagnated considerably.

So one day I watched a bunch of videos of all the characters on youtube and what convinced me to start playing ICs was some really really bad player doing a nanapult blizzard, its where nana runs jumps and blizzards half way across FD without Popo.

I lost my next 100 games, but eventually after enough dedication I started winning and now I feel like I can be as creative and reactive as I want because my limited options force me to use the options I have smarter. Also because of desynchs and tricks and stuff I can be really unpredictable. Also they suit my playstyle of primarily defensive play with a focus on hard punishment.

So I think that some characters are primarily limited and if you arent willing to put in the work to be good with them they will be much worse than some higher tiers like sheik fox ect. But if you enjoy them you will improve no matter what and its awesome.
nice story, and beautiful closure at the end.

I sometimes fear I'm reaching a stagnating point with falco, but for me it's fun to find new ways to improve my overall game. high tiers are nice because it feels like there are less limits on possible improvement. sorta like there are no boundaries. I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom