• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
I will be there tonight. Probably be there around 7.
@Foos and ratking: you guys are lame.

Also im house sitting for my aunt so I was thinking about a smash fest. Tomorrow would work out the best for me anyone interested?

:phone:

Binx

Smash Master
Hopefully its warmer tonight than last wed, I can't play like that lol, dunno how much it affected everyone else but I couldn't do anything.

Binx

Smash Master
I thought you played IC's
I think ICs are the most technically demanding character, there are a lot of very precision chaingrabs and because of their range and limited movement you need to be very quick to hit openings correctly.

They have some easy stuff as well just like any other character but I don't think it's common to get that as much as it is the harder openings. I play almost the entire cast and I definitely have the most trouble taking advantage of openings with them unless I'm really on my game, where with Fox Falco Peach Sheik Puff and sort of Falcon its much easier to take advantage of an opening.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I think ICs are the most technically demanding character, there are a lot of very precision chaingrabs and because of their range and limited movement you need to be very quick to hit openings correctly.

They have some easy stuff as well just like any other character but I don't think it's common to get that as much as it is the harder openings. I play almost the entire cast and I definitely have the most trouble taking advantage of openings with them unless I'm really on my game, where with Fox Falco Peach Sheik Puff and sort of Falcon its much easier to take advantage of an opening.
hahaha I know i was just playing. You should embrace the cold, its your element :)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Speaking of playing Smash when cold. There was this time in November that Aftermath, Jesse and I were outside and it was like 30-degrees and Aftermath hooked up a car-battery converter to a GCN and started up an impromptu tournament with all the random non-smashers outside with us. We could barely wiggle our fingers, so everyone (except me) played Marth and c-sticked.

Juce

Smash Ace
Speaking of playing Smash when cold. There was this time in November that Aftermath, Jesse and I were outside and it was like 30-degrees and Aftermath hooked up a car-battery converter to a GCN and started up an impromptu tournament with all the random non-smashers outside with us. We could barely wiggle our fingers, so everyone (except me) played Marth and c-sticked.
******, i played falco!

Juce

Smash Ace
well, we could meet at my place if that'll work for everyone. not sure when kyle gets off work, but if ya'll come to my house around 5 tonight (if we all decide we want to stay at shanes house tonight [7 people already being housed there {5 EWA and 2 canadas}]) we could have a smashfest with some locals before we go.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Hey, I had the idea that I can help out with the Melee Oregon Power Rankings if you guys are still looking to get one made.

A while back I introduced a system of ranking players based on their wins and losses over multiple events. I'm not sure it got a lot of exposure, but I was thinking 'why not?' I could pull up all the data for the previous Season of Melee tournaments and process it into a ranking system.

It can take a lot of time to calculate the data, but I'd be willing to put in the work if you guys are interested in seeing the results.

Here's a run-down on how the ranking system works:

1. Win Ratios
Since flat tournament data isn't very accurate in an overall sense, the ranking system ranks players based on their individual performance.
I.E. Just because someone takes 4th at a tournament doesn't automatically make them 4th best in the state - instead, it's who they beat on their way to 4th place that is counted.

2. Opponent Strength
It's also agreed that it doesn't matter what place you take in a tournament but rather the strength of the opponents in your bracket. The ranking system will modify rankings based on whom each player wins against in each bracket - this will mean that you can attend a 132-man bracket full of scrubs and not get an overinflated rank.
I.E. If you beat better players you'll be ranked higher.

3. Personal Strength
One thing you hear a lot is how consistency is an important quality of being a high-ranked player. In this ranking system it's important to maintain consistent results, or improvements upon consistent results, in order to maximize your ranking.
I.E. Beating a good player once won't artificially bump a lesser player into high ranks, nor will 'having a bad day' destroy your ranking.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
So wait, we're leaving tonight? I was under the assumption that we were leaving tomorrow. It's a little late for me to plan to leave now. Besides, I'm not driving an hour south to go north. Also, shane's house is not a place I want to sleep.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Have you guys talked with otto? He might be able to house you. Shane's place is already pretty packed it seems. Really hope you guys can come through to gc! :D

Bing

Smash Master
Hey Guys my name is Brad, Im a Canadian smasher from Ontario, Im going to be in Burns Oregon from the 16th to the 25th, so I was wondering if anyone lived around there? Wouldnt mind playing some new blood. If someone could inbox me that would be awesome :p Cheers guys.

debaser

Smash Lord
wow, that's pretty out there.

there are possibly people to play with in bend. which is about 1-1.5 hours away from burns as the car drives. try contacting zodiac mofat, oregon's official bend guy.

but real talk, I don't think many people live around there in general.

Binx

Smash Master
@ Timmy - While I agree with your requirements and I think they make sense, it's hard to put a number value to any of those things in my opinion. I think it would be a very difficult way to rank people because you have to assume the level of skill of people while you are ranking them initially which is no more accurate than just naming who the best players are from the get go.

I think right now the best way to rank people would be to set up a small panel 3-5 people, have all of them create a PR from a list of names of all active players, rank people, then with that and the data from recent tournaments we could take the average ranking of each player and rank them, the same way they do with the PTR for melee in the BR.

This will at the very least help some with the player bias, and we will have a PTR to start with, obviously after several results people could be moved around, OR the current PR could remain for a 1 or 2 month period with notable names or something added to the bottom and redo the same original voting system with new information.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Binx, yes it took a good amount of thought and work but as I said the ranking system is already developed and in use - it's simply a matter of tabulating data that's already available to public.

The funny thing is this system of performance-based ranking was developed due to dissenting opinions with previous panel-based PRs. :\

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
PR(Sort of in order):

Gage
Juce
Minh
Binx
Ratking
Keeper
Debaser
Bird
Jonny
Foos

Let's make a starting PR and then change it based on tournament results.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I like how ive never fought minh.

edit:Whens the next bestbout? I need to MM Debaser, Bird, and Binx. Allen too if your interested.
second edit:We should have a falcon only tournament so I can get first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom