• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I probably would be better off posting on Yoshi boards, to be honest. I'm pretty good at the game, but we now have a Yoshi and I just don't understand him. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the welcome anyway. Look me up if you're going to either MLG Anaheim or CEO.

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
No. It's pretty random. You just need to learn to follow a tech chase with it. People will definitely panic and use their default roll instead of a thoughtful one.
That's unfortunate.

In the first vid, the first stock as Roy was nice, it really supports the surprise factor. And that up b on the cliff.
Your movement is almost as sexy as mine in each set.
I play against a good falco and all I can say is SDI the shines.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I've noticed that on spacies if you're near the edge facing towards the stage, grab>backthrow>fsmash is pretty much a guaranteed kill. Keep in mind that I've only tested this on FD, and I don't know if DI can help escape this. It works at relatively low percents.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Reverse Blazer kills puff on PS, YS, and FD (with no DI). It will kill puff off the top platform on DL64 and the lower platform on BF, and the middle platform on FoD if it's raised high enough.
You can also do some silly things on mid weight characters (marth, shiek) on PS with dtilt reverse blazer on the top of the rock or the windmill. Also Peach will die without the dtilt on the rock or windmill.

Against spacies at the edge, you want to back throw WD towards the center of the stage and dtilt the edge. This covers a lot of options and sets up a DI trap. If they get hit by the dtilt, you can keep dtilting (usually ~ 3), and then fsmash them off.
If spacies are getting caught by back throw -> fsmash, they have the worst DI ever. Usually after getting back thrown off stage, people will double jump back on and attack or fall below the ledge and double jump to it. If you see them going for the edge a lot (and people will because Roy sucks at covering it), do back throw->WD to the edge (forces them below the stage), then WL on stage and edgeguard.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Admittedly, I haven't studied many Roy videos and can't really help too much with specific matchups, but I do realize that I haven't seen any Roy players chaingrab the spacies at all. Even if it doesn't lead to too much, it could be very demoralizing (who wants to get chain grabbed by Roy), and depending on DI, you could get them to the edge to do whatever Roy does. Just a small amount of input from a Ness player.

While this may not be an unusual tactic, I figured it should be something to be brought up. I feel as though free percent is amazing, especially as Roy, and considering (I think) he can dtilt into grab, it shouldn't be a terrible set-up.

Also, I would like to bring up the dancing blade (if it's still called that; I know that's what Marth's is called). Just from watching the few videos of Roy I have seen, it looks like you get the most shield poke opportunities from the up variation of the fourth hit, the down variation of the third hit, and the down variation of the fourth hit.

I don't really know how much of that last paragraph is true considering the very small amount of times I have played Roy and the few Roy videos I've watched. I don't really know how much of Ken's Roy got footage, but he does have a twitch and I doubt he'd mind talking about it since it was his "playing for fun" character.

Oh, and one more thing. The Marth matchup has been talked about (at least really early in the thread; 26 pages is a lot), and I figured I could add one thing. Do not forget about the edgeguard specifically made for Marth where you light shield and DI toward the ledge so you can beat him there. People seem to forget about that edgeguard now because I rarely see it used, but for low tiers like Ness and Roy with bad recovery, it seems like a pretty good option.

I really don't know how much of this has been mentioned. As I said, 26 pages is a lot, and I am just a lowly Ness player. I feel your pain as a low tier player, but it is so much fun. XD

vZakat

Half Genie
Okay I'm gonna start posting more around here. Might as well add whatever Roy knowledge I have to the mix.

Admittedly, I haven't studied many Roy videos and can't really help too much with specific matchups, but I do realize that I haven't seen any Roy players chaingrab the spacies at all. Even if it doesn't lead to too much, it could be very demoralizing (who wants to get chain grabbed by Roy), and depending on DI, you could get them to the edge to do whatever Roy does. Just a small amount of input from a Ness player.
Chain grabbing is pretty important to Roy's game against spacies. Like NJzfinest said. If you get a grab on FD it should lead to a stock if not 60ish% at the least.

Also, I would like to bring up the dancing blade (if it's still called that; I know that's what Marth's is called). Just from watching the few videos of Roy I have seen, it looks like you get the most shield poke opportunities from the up variation of the fourth hit, the down variation of the third hit, and the down variation of the fourth hit.
Roy's is called double edged dance and often abbreviated as ded. Side be on someone's shield usually shouldn't go to the 3rd and 4th hit unless you are pretty sure you are gonna shield poke with it. It's more to bait a reaction out of shield from your opponent. And yes up on the 3rd and 4th hit are good for poking high and down on the 4th hit are good for poking low. 3rd down not so much.

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
I showed up here to post some tournament matches, cuz I love you guys. Critiques if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RxDAzDUreI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqrxJIIxeY
Well your combos seem rather lack luster. You usually go for the quickest route to fsmash which isn't always the best thing to do. Your grab game is rather weak as well. You should definitely be tech chasing with down and forward throw more. Because you didn't do this you gave your opponents many chances to return to neutral game. This is very obvious on platforms. Also FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP UP-BING OUT OF SHIELD. You're gonna give me cancer with the junk man lol.

Also double post because I'm cool :awesome:

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
This is completely unrelated to what we were talking about before but I just wanted to bring it up since I just found it out and find it helpful.

For the longest time I've had trouble turning around with an up-b and getting the highest vertical angle. What I found out though is that if you get the half angle (in between up and up-back) you can get it every time. It's the same angle for getting fox's up-b in between the eight "normal" directions. Hope this helps everyone recover more. :)

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
This is completely unrelated to what we were talking about before but I just wanted to bring it up since I just found it out and find it helpful.

For the longest time I've had trouble turning around with an up-b and getting the highest vertical angle. What I found out though is that if you get the half angle (in between up and up-back) you can get it every time. It's the same angle for getting fox's up-b in between the eight "normal" directions. Hope this helps everyone recover more. :)
You mean the reverse Blazer? Yeah, that thing's pretty cool.

vZakat

Half Genie
You mean the reverse Blazer? Yeah, that thing's pretty cool.
Well I'm talking about reverse blazer as a recovery not an attack. I've started to jump out and flare blade people to edge guard them (when appropriate) but would have had problems recovering afterwards because of the recovery time on flare blade. But turning around during an up b with the most vertical height you can get is helpful to resolve that. If you are using reverse blazer as an attack (like for killing puff) you would want the more horizontal angle for reverse blazer so that you only get the first hit (which is the hit with the most knock back)

Jumping feels pointless with Roy. I think dash dancing constantly is about the only thing you can do in neutral.
I don't think it's pointless but it's not the greatest thing to do. In neutral you can bait approaches with empty jumps or go for a tipped fair on a shield to bait a shield grab. It's also stage and match up dependent. If you are on FD against a falco, dashdancing will only lead you you eating a million lasers.

This leads to a good question/ discussion topic. What's the best thing for Roy to do in neutral? Or rather, What's the best way for Roy to transition from neutral to the offensive or from neutral to the defensive?

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Well I'm talking about reverse blazer as a recovery not an attack. I've started to jump out and flare blade people to edge guard them (when appropriate) but would have had problems recovering afterwards because of the recovery time on flare blade. But turning around during an up b with the most vertical height you can get is helpful to resolve that. If you are using reverse blazer as an attack (like for killing puff) you would want the more horizontal angle for reverse blazer so that you only get the first hit (which is the hit with the most knock back)
Well, yeah. I use that a whole lot. I don't know how many times I've been knocked offstage and the best way for me to recover was to reverse Blazer.

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
Well, yeah. I use that a whole lot. I don't know how many times I've been knocked offstage and the best way for me to recover was to reverse Blazer.
Haha sorry, whenever I hear reverse blazer I think of it as an attack. I usually don't refer to it by name in any other case. Though I can't really think of a situation where you would need it the way I described aside from if you jump off the stage yourself. Wouldn't side-b turn you towards the stage? *shrugs*

And for the question I asked earlier. I'll answer it when I have a bit more time. I kinda plan on giving a long post. But long to me isn't really that long lol.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Haha sorry, whenever I hear reverse blazer I think of it as an attack. I usually don't refer to it by name in any other case. Though I can't really think of a situation where you would need it the way I described aside from if you jump off the stage yourself. Wouldn't side-b turn you towards the stage? *shrugs*

And for the question I asked earlier. I'll answer it when I have a bit more time. I kinda plan on giving a long post. But long to me isn't really that long lol.
I mean, in some cases side b would have enough lag to force me to be out of range or w/e. But sometimes I like to use it as a mixup.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
@Zakat on blazer OoS: I was using it to counter vertical approaches mostly. It was something I was testing and it was working for a little while. I do need to do a little more figuring out with it. I think it's an interesting tool.
Also you're pretty right on the combo game. It was a tournament set so I chose to end combos early instead of getting the opportunity to drop them. I actually have a pretty solid combo game, but I can't always convert into stocks.
My platform tech chases I've been working on. My reaction game is pretty bad and I rely on reading techs. So that's another thing I'm working on.

Best approach is DD dtilt. You really just need to read movement and dtilt their ****.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Reverse Blazer kills puff on PS, YS, and FD (with no DI). It will kill puff off the top platform on DL64 and the lower platform on BF, and the middle platform on FoD if it's raised high enough.
You can also do some silly things on mid weight characters (marth, shiek) on PS with dtilt reverse blazer on the top of the rock or the windmill. Also Peach will die without the dtilt on the rock or windmill.
I also made a video detailing combos Roy can use to lead into the Blazer.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I showed up here to post some tournament matches, cuz I love you guys. Critiques if you can.
When it comes to using the Blazer, do not use it on heavy/mid-weight characters. The Blazer is only good against lite characters (best with Jigglypuff) and instead of using it out of shield, use it in a combo like a low-to-the-ground Fair/Nair into reverse Blazer or spike with upsmash (if they miss the tech) then reverse Blazer.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
When it comes to using the Blazer, do not use it on heavy/mid-weight characters. The Blazer is only good against lite characters (best with Jigglypuff) and instead of using it out of shield, use it in a combo like a low-to-the-ground Fair/Nair into reverse Blazer or spike with upsmash (if they miss the tech) then reverse Blazer.
That's a pretty incorrect assessment. The blazer is useful for things other than killing. It's Roy's only move that's guaranteed to break CC on any character.

I watched your blazer videos. Thanks for documenting all the kill stuff. I knew a lot of it, but didn't know about some of the more obscure floaties (mewtwo, zelda). I assumed it would work, just never had the necessity to test it.

Also, I placed 5th at a local. Go me. Videos on the way.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
That's a pretty incorrect assessment. The blazer is useful for things other than killing. It's Roy's only move that's guaranteed to break CC on any character.

I watched your blazer videos. Thanks for documenting all the kill stuff. I knew a lot of it, but didn't know about some of the more obscure floaties (mewtwo, zelda). I assumed it would work, just never had the necessity to test it.

Also, I placed 5th at a local. Go me. Videos on the way.
Breaking Crouch Cancel? Sweet! I'll have to test that out myself. But I think sometimes you've got to watch out in the event the fast-fallers retaliate after the Blazer, ledge-cancelling them (when able to) can be a good safeguard for those who attempt that kinda punish. Glad I could help you out with my vids by the way, more will be coming along the way. ^u^

vZakat

Half Genie
@Zakat on blazer OoS: I was using it to counter vertical approaches mostly. It was something I was testing and it was working for a little while. I do need to do a little more figuring out with it. I think it's an interesting tool.
Also you're pretty right on the combo game. It was a tournament set so I chose to end combos early instead of getting the opportunity to drop them. I actually have a pretty solid combo game, but I can't always convert into stocks.
My platform tech chases I've been working on. My reaction game is pretty bad and I rely on reading techs. So that's another thing I'm working on.
Well I've never actually played around with blazer as an attack I feel like it's just way too much lag afterwards to be of any use. Does it really stop ccing? I still can't see it being that useful. As far as comboing I feel like it's always good to alternate between long and short combos as a mix up to throw off DI. I can definately understand going for shorter guaranteed stuff in a tourney set. I do that a lot too lol. The best way to follow up on a platform is to jump up and air dodge down onto the platform then shield. this way you can block their get up attack or shield grab or pivit grab if they roll or even just jump away if for some reason you are unsafe.

Also congrats on 5th. Excited to see vids.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
So the platform thing is kinda weird. There are a couple of options, WL, usmash, uair, fair, ftilt, etc. but i'm working on some of that. WL -> grab/dtilt is probably the best option but also the most precise. I tend to mess up the tech chase a lot.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
So I've noticed some weird things about Roy. His tipper seems to be not as bad as some people make it out to be, because at kill percents (100% ish) I've gotten some kills off of it. When I was against a Sheik on netplay, I tippered an fsmash and it sent her off the top left. Thoughts? Or is something wonky going on?

EDIT: Nope. The sweetspot makes it look like a tipper. I'll see if I can make a video.

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I am very disappoint because no Red Roy. But otherwise, it's pretty cool!
Oh yeah, I can't be a good Roy player without being red. NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!1111!!11!111one1!!111!1!eleven!11 But still, ledge-cancelled Blazers are t3h b3st becuz t3h ph1r3

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
As a Red Roy, I must say thx for all the info on the blazer :p and nice tech skill video man :)
You're welcome and thank you! And the reason Pika, Peach, and Popo all died off the top from a lower point in that video is because of a frametrap I discovered, where if the opponent is hit by the blazer's sweetspot, then they touch a hitbox near the end of the animation, then their knockback escalates; therefore, the opponent could possibly DI into that, too.

Zarenthye

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, midwest green Roy player here. Recently placed top 8 at a tournament and I'm feeling positive about improving my game. Can I get some input on the Shiek matchup?

Sidenote: @ darkoblivion12 darkoblivion12 It was awesome seeing you on stream at Big House 4, it affirmed my decision to stick with Roy for the tournament and in general. What did you think of Wizzy's falcon? It seemed like he was getting out of uair > fsmash combos by just jumping out immediately every time. That, and death-touching you from every grab x_x

vZakat

Half Genie
I actually plan on reviving the match up thread soon so I'll probably answer that question in there when I do.

Top Bottom