• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Zarenthye

Smash Rookie
What part of Illinois are you from, fellow Roy? :o
I'm from the southwest Chicago suburbs, though I attend and live at UIUC for now.

I actually plan on reviving the match up thread soon so I'll probably answer that question in there when I do.
Cool.

Match-up knowledge against non-spacies is something I'm sort of lacking. I go into tourney expecting an onslaught of lasers and shines and get Peaches and Marths instead.

On that note, I got the free-est kill ever on a Peach at Dreamland. She pulled a Mr. Saturn and threw it, I caught it and threw it back, breaking her shield. Fully charged Flare Blade and she's gone at 0%. :lick:

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Hey guys, midwest green Roy player here. Recently placed top 8 at a tournament and I'm feeling positive about improving my game. Can I get some input on the Shiek matchup?

Sidenote: @ darkoblivion12 darkoblivion12 It was awesome seeing you on stream at Big House 4, it affirmed my decision to stick with Roy for the tournament and in general. What did you think of Wizzy's falcon? It seemed like he was getting out of uair > fsmash combos by just jumping out immediately every time. That, and death-touching you from every grab x_x
Oh hey. Thanks for the support.

So I'm gunna take a moment to john here. I played spectacularly ****ty against Wizzy. I've never been on the main stage of a large tournament before, and with TBH's crowd, it's really tough to keep composure. So basically, I lost because of inexperience at high levels.

But anyways, what the pressure does do is make tight follow ups really tough, especially placing Roy's incredibly precise falling aerial combos. So yeah, he was jumping out a lot, but I shouldn't have let him. It's because my play was sloppy.

Next thing: Wizzy's Falcon is solid. It has an amazing combo game and he punishes hard every time. But his neutral game just gives you all the space in the world and just wants you to hit his shield. So I was hoping to win there, but I ****ed up hard.

For reference, I was going even with Gahtzu in friendlies earlier in the day, so like, I can do it, I just need more high level play.

On the topic of Shiek, you have to dash dance really hard. The general flow chart is as follows assuming FD:
(Yes FD is awful for the matchup)
On a micro level:
Dance dance and wait until she throws needles. Jump over them or shield them.
If she commits to something that isn't that, move in (dash dancing) and try to dtilt.
At this point you get into a close range battle, where you lose like 70% of the time.
Focus on making her whiff a grab, at which point you can get yourself a grab. Upthrow utilt works-ish. I kinda like just tech chasing.
If she jumps, beat it with DED, dtilt etc. and tech chase.

On a macro level of the matchup, the goal is to make better trades, not get grabbed, and force her to jump with dtilt, while avoiding chip damage from needles.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
So vZakat and I did Roy dittos at Apex. Was fun.

It's actually crazy how differently we play for maining a character with like... 2 options.

vZakat

Half Genie
It's actually crazy how differently we play for maining a character with like... 2 options.
I was thinking this when we played. Amazing how different such a simple character can be played. lol

What place did you get in that tournament? :o
I know you weren't asking me but I had 2 wins and 2 loses in my pool. That was like 7th or 5th in the pool. I 0 to deathed PC Chris but pretty much no one was around to watch it lol.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I hit 4th in my pool. Don't think I beat anyone notable. Woulda been 3rd but MDZ decided he wanted to be 1st seed. On a brighter note, I did pretty well against Eikelmann.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I know you weren't asking me but I had 2 wins and 2 loses in my pool. That was like 7th or 5th in the pool. I 0 to deathed PC Chris but pretty much no one was around to watch it lol.
Zero to deathed PC Chris?! How did that happen? :O

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Can Roy play an effective poke/keep-away game with his big disjointed sword if the player is dedicated enough, or is the noodle not enough to protect his delicate body?

Rexis

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, with all this hype of Smash, I couldn't just sit back and let it pass. I really want to up my game with Roy. I've recently taken a liking to SH>U-air>Grab. It has a good range and in some cases, if the opponent gets hit , it gives a weird hit animation for the opponent making the character be raised in the air but the character seems to be still standing in the ground. (I'll try to get some footage so you can view it).
As many here, I would like some advice on Sheik, Marth and other non-spacies. For they are one of the hardest match Up. I live in Puerto Rico so it's hard to meet up with some of you but that is why this exists, right?

P.S. Anyone here having trouble with the Ganon matchup?

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Eddy: Roy's noodle can protect him if you can space properly. There are a lot of things you have to watch out for. Especially when people come down from above you.
Rexis: Ganon is hard. Do rising aerials instead of falling ones. Your air stuff is fast than his.

So I just got 5th in a tournament beating a peach, so let's talk about that since the matchup is hard as hell.

Peach is hard. Really hard. You basically need to dash dance away from and into her turnips until you can find an opening to get a grab or a DED. The DED must be full range or you will get CC'd. Make sure you can outspace dsmash with grab. Make sure you are patient and read defensive options a lot. Peach has plenty of them so be prepared for lots of nairs OoS and dsmashes. Figure out peach's flow chart for fc aerial into things. It usually goes fc fair/nair, jab 1/2, grab/dsmash. Best way out is usually to roll, but you can get out of that if you read appropriately.

Rising fairs can combo her. Tippered dairs combo in fsmash. DED1 dsmash can kill her. Up throw kills on FD around 180, BF around 190, PS 165, YS probably like 160, FoD 200, and dreamland at like... 220?

Anyways, the real winners here are dash dancing and reading defensive options.

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
I recently watched a GF set of sethlon vs a peach (good set actually)
MNM 15 Melee - FX DFW Sethlon (Roy) vs UTDZac (Peach) - Grand Finals

I was curious about a few things.

Sethlon keeps going for Uairs when peach gets sent high, and they usually don't sweet spot. I feel llike that's dangerous. Would it be better, do you think, to just shark (DD) under her and try for a lower sweet spotted Uair or an Utilt? Or sharking a rising Fair and landing on a platform to followup?

Also, I was curious about an edge-guard option. If peach is on the ledge, how do you think charging a D-smash would work? You can hit her if she does a normal get up or roll in stage. Her DJ is slow enough to react with releasing the smash. She could ledge drop up-B or get up attack from ledge, but I though D-smash might be cool.

Sethlon gets punished for DED so much in this set, why not just DD grab as a safer option? What followups can we get off of throws on peach?

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I recently watched a GF set of sethlon vs a peach (good set actually)
MNM 15 Melee - FX DFW Sethlon (Roy) vs UTDZac (Peach) - Grand Finals

I was curious about a few things.

Sethlon keeps going for Uairs when peach gets sent high, and they usually don't sweet spot. I feel llike that's dangerous. Would it be better, do you think, to just shark (DD) under her and try for a lower sweet spotted Uair or an Utilt? Or sharking a rising Fair and landing on a platform to followup?

Also, I was curious about an edge-guard option. If peach is on the ledge, how do you think charging a D-smash would work? You can hit her if she does a normal get up or roll in stage. Her DJ is slow enough to react with releasing the smash. She could ledge drop up-B or get up attack from ledge, but I though D-smash might be cool.

Sethlon gets punished for DED so much in this set, why not just DD grab as a safer option? What followups can we get off of throws on peach?
1. Tippers can combo into things. Depends if you're trying to combo or stack percent. If they're high enough, you can uthrow kill.
2. Charge dsmash = bad. She can shino stall. Stealing the edge is sexy though, so do that.
3. You can't just do the same options over and over and expect not to get punished. If they know you're fishing for grabs, they'll nair it, or float away. DED is a good antiair that will catch peaches trying to fc aerials. DED1 -> dsmash is about as guaranteed as SD1->utilt with Marth.

vZakat

Half Genie
Just posting in here to say that I'll be playing on PPMD's stream this friday. Everyone should tune in to see my roy in action.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Decided I wanted to main Roy after playing a few games as him after a long break from Melee, so I brought him out at my local. First guy I sit down next to is a Marth main I've known a little while, so I pick Roy, and he says "you should play another character", so we play a match and he ***** on me because he's a better player overall, and then asks what my tag is? I use the tag "MXTP" when playing Roy, so I explained to him that my tag was Mixtape, because my Roy is fire. He says "you think you're ****ing clever" and counterpicks Roy for the dank Roy dittos.

I lost, though it was close, and he said my Roy was respectable, so I decided to stick it out and try and go only Roy all night. Actually beat two Fox's and a Peach.

Pretty proud of that as a first story for my Melee Roy.

Last edited:

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Approaches imo
Nair
Wavedash dtilt (can hit with any part of the sword and basically get a free fair/nair followup)
side b...?

I don't like fair, if you fail, you're done. Nair can be misspaced (hit with the tipper) and still get a little bit of mileage.

Edgeguarding tools
dtilt
neutral b
nair (if timed properly)
side b
down b
jab

KO moves
neutral b (ehhh)
fsmash
side b
-not really viable-
dair
tipper dsmash*
tipper usmash

*You can kill at 70-80% with this. But when I say tipper, I don't mean Marth leniency tipper, I mean like just barely hitting and almost a phantom, so it's basically not viable unless your spacing/reading is impeccable.

Shield pressure options
Time a SHFFL'ed nair just right > dtilt > WD back/repeat
If above > uair > uair > uair > uair > maybe a nair, nah, uair
Side b
Mindgames, lol

Last edited:

Orion_

Smash Rookie
Don't forget Counter as an edgeguarding tool against certain recoveries. It can **** up a misplaced Fox/Falco up-B, as well as Bowser and Donkey Kong because of how high they have to rise over the ledge to get back. There may be others, but those four stand out.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget Counter as an edgeguarding tool against certain recoveries. It can **** up a misplaced Fox/Falco up-B, as well as Bowser and Donkey Kong because of how high they have to rise over the ledge to get back. There may be others, but those four stand out.
Oh yeah, that's right, Marth has that tool too. i'll add it to the list.

Scorpio750

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, that's right, Marth has that tool too. i'll add it to the list.
idk does Marth's counter actually work as an edgeguarding tool? The fact that Roy's knockback scales is what makes it viable for edgeguarding spacies at mid-high percents.

vZakat

Half Genie
Marth's counter has enough knock back that it can set up for very favorable edge guarding scenarios. It's overall more viable as an edge guard move than roy's counter

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Oh yeah, I can't be a good Roy player without being red. NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!1111!!11!111one1!!111!1!eleven!11 But still, ledge-cancelled Blazers are t3h b3st becuz t3h ph1r3
Don't you mean Yellow Roy?
Some people would even say that Green Roy is the best. There was a thread about it a while back.

I love coming back to this thread and seeing all these new Roy players. I need to keep up!

Last edited:

Freakanoid

Smash Rookie
Don't you mean Yellow Roy?
Some people would even say that Green Roy is the best. There was a thread about it a while back.

I love coming back to this thread and seeing all these new Roy players. I need to keep up!
Green Roy Kregasm

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol by taking a break from Roy and playing Marth, it somehow made my Roy better. that pewpewu shield pivot stuff is super good with roy

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
A marth matchup isnt hard because roy is a "clone" of marth so you can easily use the same combos but be close to your opponent because roys sweet spot is at the handle.

Last edited:

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
A marth matchup isnt hard because roy is a "clone" of marth so you can easily use the same combos but be close to your opponent because roys sweet spot is at the handle.
Not to be rude but I don't believe you've played Roy if you think you can do marth combo's with him. Marth pushes people away and chases them, Roy Just kinda grabs them and doesn't do much

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Not to be rude but I don't believe you've played Roy if you think you can do marth combo's with him. Marth pushes people away and chases them, Roy Just kinda grabs them and doesn't do much
I have and I do use marth combo's its my style of play

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I'm more curious than anything what you mean by marth's style of combos because I think you and me hve been looking at very different marths
I use the Ken combo and some of m2ks combos with Roy and I don't need to explain myself its your opinion not mine

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I use the Ken combo and some of m2ks combos with Roy and I don't need to explain myself its your opinion not mine
I'm sorry if I came across as mean or insulting I just don't see how you could get a ken combo or most Marth combos without killing yourself, seeing as how Roy's spike is above him so if you get someone with the spike your probably gonna die from the end lag of the move too. And true you don't need to explain yourself but this is the Roy strategy thread where we talk about different strategies with Roy. So explaining yourself would be helpful. Again sorry if I came off as a jerk or something like that.

Top Bottom