• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Counter Game: Read the **** Rules or the Thread Get's Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
WOUW, HOW YOU GONNA KILL JACKIE-CHAN? MEANIE-FACE! :p

You killed Jackie-Chan. You're such a Stinker... and It Takes One to Beat One... or something like that...

Skuntank @ Life-Orb *I miss my Choice-Specs! ;.;*
Modest/Aftermath
174Specialattack/142specialdefense/192speed
DarkPulse
Sludgebomb
Flamethrower
HiddenPowerGround

Psychic = 0 Damage
Calm Mind = Not enough to stop the 2 hit killing Dark Pulse
HiddenpowerFighting = 3 Hit kill with the Calm Mind Boost (admitedly, when both are used at max power, Skunktank is left with 1 hp, not factoring in Leftovers)
Shadowball = 4-5 hit kill, even with Calm Mind Boost, not factoring Leftovers

Dark Pulse = Stab move, 2 hit kills Chimeco, while having exactly 1 extra speed point to outspeed it for said kill.
Sludgebomb = Stab Move, 30% Chance of Poison to stop Stallers.
Flamethrower = Stops Pure Steels, Bugs, and noticably forces Toxicroak to pick it's Death.
HiddenpowerGround = Stops Steel Rock Hybrids, Toxicroak's other death.

Weird to use a Skunk for a Special-Sweeper.... Nintendo people are crazy! Also, if the Aftermath does enough damage to kill a target after the target kills Skuntank, would it still be a counter? Just curious.

WouW

Smash Lord
Breaks the choice rule. Not a counter.

Pink Reaper, I demand you to replace Rule 7 with the following:

7) The following moves are banned: Acupressure, Assist, Baton Pass, Beat Up, Bind, Block, Camouflage, Clamp, Destiny Bond, Double Team, Explosion, Fire Spin, Fissure, Foresight, Grudge, Guillotine, Healing Wish, Helping Hand, Horn Drill, Lunar Dance, Magma Storm, Mean Look, Memento, Metronome, Mimic, Minimize, Miracle Eye, Nature Power, Odor Sleuth, Perish Song, Present, Pursuit, Roar, Sand Tomb, Selfdestruct, Sketch, Spider Web, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, U-Turn, Whirlpool, Whirlwind, Wrap.

Anyone want to add/remove?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I actually used Odor Sleuth on a counter a while back to make one of the most ridiculous F.E.A.R sets out there. Needless to say, it was difficult to counter. Aside from that no one has ever attempted to use any of the moves on that list to my knowledge but I'll add it to the rules anyways.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I checked the posts and I understand now. All moves would have to be able to defeat my counter, and I have HiddenPowerGround... I was hoping I could get away with having Darkpulse to do the work, and having teh awesome Special-Attack with Choice-Specs. If I have to, though, replace Choice-Specs with Life-Orb.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Weird to use a Support-Pokemon for Offense, but oh well...

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers
Adamant/Syncronise
252hp/252attack/6specialdefense
Payback
Return
Screech
Curse

I can't wait to see how many people make a counter that outright walls this set. This one is so easily stoped... But oh well....

Being female, Umbreon uses Nidoking's Rivalry against him, making all of his attacks do 75% of normal. Because of that decline, it takes Nidoking's strongest move, Earth Power, 6-7 turns to defeat Umbreon, not factoring in Leftovers. Meanwhile, Umbreon gets to Curse itself as long as she wants, to get as high attack power as she wants, and then 3 Screeches lets her shatter Nidoking's defenses. Payback becomes an instant kill, whether Nidoking attacks before hand or not.

I wonder if anyone else feels like using Gender in battler, or whether it is going to be banned from being used from now on.... It seems like using Gender against a specific enemy type would be a perfectly viable option... I don't want to have to use Uxie or Hitmonlee when my Umbreon works just as well....

WouW

Smash Lord
Rampardos @ Life Orb
Adamant/Mold Breaker
252Atk/60Spe/196HP
Head Smash
Superpower
Earthquake
Rock Polish

If you use Payback, I OHKO with Superpower.
If you use Return, I take less damage and OHKO.
If you use Screech, I don't take any damage and OHKO.
If you use Curse, I hit you hard, survive a boosted Payback and then KO, remaining with little health after factoring Life Orb, if you hit with max damage.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Phew... I was scared that you were going to say "GENDER DOESN'T LET YOU COUNTER AN ENEMY!"

Someone else will probably have countered Rampardos by tomorrow, but I gotta study for the Sats. Wish me luck!

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Snap I'm sorry about those evs. It was only 6 in special defense. Man I keep making dumb mistakes. I'm gonna need a lot of luck to get a good grade on the Sats at this rate! :p

I think I'll keep working on the Math Section though, by countering Rampardos... but something with that much attack power is hard to beat.... who could possibly switch into that and strike back? Hm...

Marowak @ Thick Club
Adamant/Rockhead
90attack/252defense/168speed
Earthquake
Giga Impact
SwordDance
Stoneedge

I'm sure I have the evs right this time. I need to stop mistyping everything. 1 point above in speed means that Marowak barely outruns and gets an instant kill with Earthquake. And thanks to Marowak's defensive bulk, it can survive any solo hit and strike back.

I hope I didn't mess anything up here.... And Wouw, thank you. Would you mind if I added you later? I'll definitely have to do it later though. I have GOT to rest and study. And I can't afford to make the mistakes I made here. I'll see you guys later!

WouW

Smash Lord
Glaceon @ Expert Belt
Modest/Snow Cloak
168HP/252SpA/88Spe
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Fighting
Water Pulse
Shadow Ball

Survives (with 1 HP if necessary) and outspeeds and OHKOs with Ice Beam. Rest is coverage.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
You know that Marowak has a chance of an instant kill StoneEdge, without the Critical, right? Just making sure...

I had to get in one more before I went to sleep.

Magmortar @ ChoiceScarf
Modest/Flamebody
252hp/252specialattack/6speed
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
HiddenPowerGrass
FocusBlast

Naturally outspeeds, but with the Scarf, it gets to outspeed a heck of a lot of enemies. It can take a hit as well, and instantly kill Glaceon with Flamethrower. The rest of the moves are for coverage.

Wouw, you're really good at this stuff. What else do you play/do?

c3gill

Smash Ace
Glaceon @ Expert Belt
Modest/Snow Cloak
168HP/252SpA/88Spe
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Fighting
Water Pulse
Shadow Ball

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Adamant / water absorb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Waterfall
Brick Break
Ice Punch
Earthquake

survives 2 attacks and 2HKOs.

EDIT- **** too too long typing. I blame it on the Duke game.:ohwell:

RE-EDIT: Da- D, here is a quote from the rules:
14) For Choiced movesets, make sure that ALL moves work against what it's supposed to counter. For example, don't post a Choiced Slaking with Shadow Claw on something like Lopunny, as Shadow Claw would not be able to beat the previous counter.

Your Magmortar's HP Grass wouldnt beat that Glaceon (spamming Water Pulse). soooo my counter again!

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Adamant / water absorb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Waterfall
Brick Break
Ice Punch
Earthquake

survives 2 attacks and 2HKOs.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold / Own Tempo
212 HP/252 Def/44 SAtk
Slack Off
Toxic
Surf
Calm Mind

You hurt me very, very little. I toxic and wait for you to die from that + life orb recoil.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Kill stealing meanie face.... I hate that Choice-Rule.

As for the Slowbro,

Mr Mime @ Pecha Berry
Modest/Filter
Thunderbolt
Taunt
Psychic
Calmmind

Taunt to force you to use Surf, then Calm Mind until Surf does nothing, then kill with Thunderbolt. Even without Taunt, I can take 2 Surfs, and kill you with 2 Thunderbolts. You won't be able to stall fast enough with Slackoff. It can and will still get you in the end.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Kill stealing meanie face.... I hate that Choice-Rule.

As for the Slowbro,

Mr Mime @ Pecha Berry
Modest/Filter
Thunderbolt
Taunt
Psychic
Calmmind

Taunt to force you to use Surf, then Calm Mind until Surf does nothing, then kill with Thunderbolt. Even without Taunt, I can take 2 Surfs, and kill you with 2 Thunderbolts. You won't be able to stall fast enough with Slackoff. It can and will still get you in the end.
Using this counter the way you described it it doesnt work. Heres How:

Slowbro used Calm Mind!
Switched in Mr. Mime.

Mr. Mime used Taunt!
Slowbro used Surf! (Mr Mime lost 49%!)

Mr. Mime used Calm Mind!
Slowbro used Surf! (Mr. Mime lost 37%)

Mr Mime used Thunderbolt! ( Slowbro lost 70%)
Slowbro used Surf! (Mr. Mime fainted)

your banking on Toxic over Calm Mind, and you dont 2HKO because of it. If you dont taunt your screwed regardless. This counter isnt 100%. Your totally dependant on rolling Min damage and outpredicting, but Slowbro can easily win this one.

EDIT- oh I assumed Slowbro rolled about Min, and you rolled about Max :)

WouW

Smash Lord
Da-D-Mon, I seriously hope you won't make mistakes like those today.

And the Choice rule is to prevent things like:
Rampardos @ Choice Band
Adamant/Mold Breaker
252Atk/252Spe/4Def
Head Smash
Earthquake
Hammer Arm
Crunch
Vs. Slowbro:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly/Dry Skin
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Swords Dance
Cross Chop
X-Scissor
Stone Edge

Swords Dances three times, then OHKOs. You can't harm me.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Actually, I thought Mr Mime's natural defenses let him get through this one, but I forgot Calm Mind increased them, preventing my Thunderbolt from being a straight up 2 hit kill. Darn.

Ah, oh well. If I had shown up in time before Wouw did, I could have fixed this. I had actually ment for him to have a Life-Orb, which was what I had been factoring into my calculations, but I got paranoid of the Toxic, and forgot to modify my calculations again before posting my calcuations.

DUDES, WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT!?! MY TEACHERS MAKE TESTS THAT ARE HARDER THAN THE SATS! HECK, THIS COUNTER-GAME IS HARDER THAN THE SATS! WHAT THE HECK!?!

As for Toxicroak,

Nidoqueen @ LifeOrb
Adamant/Poisonpoint
200hp/100attack/100defense/100specialdefense
Earthquake
IcePunch
Crunch
Thunderpunch

Un"ev"ed, it can resist any of Toxicroak's Sword Danced attacks, and without the LifeOrb, it can still instantly kill with Earthquake. It lasts even longer with the extra bulk, and can do more damage to it's potential counters with extra power and attacks.

If I can know nearly all but 5 questions on the SAT and have no problem with answering them, then I shouldn't make as many dumb mistakes as I make here. This one should be done right thought.

I just realised, I'm addicted to the Bolt-Beam Combo. I love Electric and Ice types.

And the next time I want to use any of the Choice Items, I have to be able to kill the counter with every single one of the moves? So unfair. Not allowed to have others just for coverage. ;.;

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Adamant/Own Tempo
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Swords Dance
Aqua Tail
Return
Wish

With Leftovers, Earthquake fails to 3HKO. (Max 38.95%, I heal 6.25% each turn)

I switch in to Earthquake
You take 10% from life orb

You EQ again
I Aqua Tail, you lose at minimum 43%

You EQ again
I aqua tail, you die

c3gill

Smash Ace
Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Adamant/Own Tempo
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Swords Dance
Aqua Tail
Return
Wish

With Leftovers, Earthquake fails to 3HKO. (Max 38.95%, I heal 6.25% each turn)

I switch in to Earthquake

You EQ again
I Aqua Tail, you lose at minimum 43%

You EQ again
I aqua tail, you die

Using your math, you dont counter. heres how:

We must assume max damage on his part and min on your part. so hes doing 38.5% and your doing 43%- we assume this to ensure that it is a 100% counter.

You switch in Luck
Nido EQ- Luck loses 38.5%, Nido loses 10%.
you get 6.25% back
Nido- 90%
Luck- 67.75%

Nido EQ- Luck lose 38.5%, Nido loses 10%
Luck Aqua Tail- Nido loses 43%
you get 6.25% back
Nido- 37%
Luck- 35.5%

Nido EQ- Luck loses 38.5%, Luck dies. Nido loses 10%

Nido 28.5%
Luck is dead.

This is based on the numbers you gave, so if they are correct, its a failed counter.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Rule 10: Don't assume max damage all the time.

Also, that the counter is forced to always hit min is ****ing ********.
notice how when he wrote the numbers he said max was 38.95%? I didnt use max. actually, you could assume EQ hitting about 37% (basically 2% lower than max) and the counter still fails.

A counter is something that is guaranteed to survive and pose a threat- guarantee means 100% of the time. In some percentage of that 100%, Nido will roll max and Luck will roll min. If, in that scenario, the counter does not work (which it wouldnt) then it is not a counter.

As for assuming Max on the "to be countered" and Min on the "counter", I use this to be sure that it works. This is a true counter, but Ill send a PM to Reaper, just in case, to ask him to clarify and verify. :)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I'd only assume minimum damage if it was a guaranteed instant kill... otherwise, I usually aim for the random value being at around 92.5, which is usually the average. It's the number I use during my calculations, anyway. Midway between 85 and 100.

As for Lickilily,

Registeel @ Leftovers
Modest/Clearbody
100hp/100defense/200specialattack/100specialdefense/10speed
FlashCannon
Ancientpower
Focus Blast
Hyper Beam

A crapy special sweeper, but still. Focus Blast 2 hit kills, with the bulk to live through 2 Sword Danced Aqua Tails. The evs give it extra bulk and extra attack power. And the combination of attacks isn't too bad, since there isn't anything that can resist the first 3 moves. Hyper Beam is there just because it rocks.

WouW

Smash Lord
notice how when he wrote the numbers he said max was 38.95%? I didnt use max. actually, you could assume EQ hitting about 37% (basically 2% lower than max) and the counter still fails.
Not max. Yay to be funny with .45% difference.

If you take the average, which is 35.5%, it actually does fail.
Back in the old counter game, platypus/someone else had made the 'Eye of the Tiger' rule, which basically boiled down to 'if it's 50% or more, it works'. This case has about the chance of failure as Focus Blast missing. Do we whine about that? No.

A counter is something that is guaranteed to survive and pose a threat- guarantee means 100% of the time. In some percentage of that 100%, Nido will roll max and Luck will roll min. If, in that scenario, the counter does not work (which it wouldnt) then it is not a counter.
But that's where 'do not assume max damage' comes into play.

As for assuming Max on the "to be countered" and Min on the "counter", I use this to be sure that it works. This is a true counter, but Ill send a PM to Reaper, just in case, to ask him to clarify and verify. :)
I wrote the rules.

WouW

Smash Lord
No. That was the point I was making.

Also, coincidentally, I was thinking about a random low accuracy move (Focus Blast) before I even saw your counter. Lol.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I wrote the rules.
lol, "because I wrote something I am correct". no, that isnt how the game works. A counter works 100% of the time (barring ridiculous crits). Not just in certain conditions, like taking an average of damage. a true counter is guaranteed to work, regardless of rolling minimum damage, and taking maximum damage in the process. that is what a counter is!

I am done with this for the moment, I will await Pink Reapers decision. as he said

If there is a disagreement about something don't ****ing spam my thread with why you think you're right. Bring it to my attention and I will work it out.
I await his decision, and i urge yall to stop posting and wait until he has decided on what is correct and informed us. After all, it is his thread.

WouW

Smash Lord
lol, "because I wrote something I am correct". no, that isnt how the game works. A counter works 100% of the time (barring ridiculous crits). Not just in certain conditions, like taking an average of damage. a true counter is guaranteed to work, regardless of rolling minimum damage, and taking maximum damage in the process. that is what a counter is!
So now anything with Bright Powder/anything with +evasion/-accuracy would be too broken here because you cannot 100% counter it? Or even moves like Air Slash should be banned for chances of missing? Heck, then why are there pokés that counter others without their 100% chance of winning in the actual metagame? Seriously, I give horse sh*t about 5%, 10% or even 30% of failure.

I await his decision, and i urge yall to stop posting and wait until he has decided on what is correct and informed us. After all, it is his thread.
So? Wii4Mii created the original game, wrote the rules, I improved on those rules (rewriting it completely), and Pink Reaper gets like all credit for it?

Vs. Registeel:

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Modest/Levitate
252Spe/252HP/4SpA
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Rest

This is going to be a loooooong battle...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
So? Wii4Mii created the original game, wrote the rules, I improved on those rules (rewriting it completely), and Pink Reaper gets like all credit for it?

*is now countering so this is not just spam*
Wii4Mii wrote the original rules, I added on to them with the choice rule and UU/BL rule and moderated the old thread as well as this new one. I don't get credit for the rules, but I am the one that enforces them.

c3gill is correct in this situation however. If there is a chance your counter will fail, then it is not a 100% counter, which is what this game calls for. You can't say "I have an 80% chance of surviving" and be a counter because there's still a 20% chance you'll fail.

Counters must be 100%, they will always KO and never be KO'd themselves.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Accuracy has always sort of been a "70%" thing. Moves with 70% or more accuracy have always been considered "Will not miss" moves. I actually don't know why that is, why people just ran with that, but that's how it has been and I guess it does make the game easier.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I guess it's because of the huge power differences between attacks like Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Icebeam against Fireblast/Thunder/Blizzard. People like the higher attack power,so they try not to care about the accuracy.

As for Mesprit,

(I can't believe I'm doing this, and it's dead so fast, but... )

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Relaxed/Sturdy
252hp/6defense/252specialdefense
PowerTrick
GyroBall
Encore
Rest

This seems like one of the most likely scenarios.

Turn 1:Mespirit uses Calm Mind. Shuckle switchess in.
Mesprit = 100%. Shuckle = 100%.
Turn 2:Mespirit uses Thunderbolt/Icebeam. Shuckle uses Power Trick.
Mespirit=100%. Shuckle = 76%.
Turn 3:Mespirit uses Thunderbolt/Icebeam. Shuckle uses Gyroball.
Mespirit = 34%-23%. Shuckle = 52%.
Turn 4:Mespirit uses Rest. Shuckle uses Gyroball.
Mespirit=34-23%. Shuckle = 52%.
Turn 5:Mespirit is still asleep. Shuckle uses Gyroball.
Mespirit = R.I.P. Shuckle = 52%.

This is not factoring in Leftovers, nor is it using Encore. I don't feel that 23 hp back to Mesprit each turn will save it. And Shuckle actually doesn't need it. He just has it just to have it. I only picked the extra two attacks instead of a Calm Mind and an attack because a Double Calm Mind Boosted Ice Beam will actually do less damage than two Calm Mind Boosted Thunerbolt. If Mespirit attacked instead of Rested when it did, it would have died that turn, as Shuckle would have still been able to with 28%. And all of Mespirit's attacks, I factored at Max Damage, just to make sure that this definitely worked. It just seems like it's more efficient that way. The fact that Max Damage isn't going to happen all the time only cements Shuckle as being able to counter this.

I went back and did the match because I got scared because I was using Azelf's offensive stats and wondered if Mesprit's stats might not match up right. Going back and checking, Shuckle can live through 6 unboosted attacks, 5 attacks that have been boosted once, and 3 that have been boosted twice, all without Leftovers. Please tell me if I'm making a huge as heck mistake, but I feel quite confident about this counter, despite it being a Shuckle. Basically, Shuckle lives for a minimum of 5 turns (including the switchi n), and it can use that much time to end the battle, no matter what Mesprit does. (I need to stop mispelling it as Mespirit. It just seems to look and sound like a "Me-Spirit" rather than a "Me-Sprite".)

Shuckle is so dead. A counter to him is definitely going to be something physical that resists Steel, and the slower it is the better the counter it will be. I also see a Taunter being able to destroy him, and a Trick Set would do the job quite well. Heck, a Toxicer or Burner that has a resistance to steel could inflicked the status, and just sit there. Shuckle can only rest so many times.

WouW

Smash Lord
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Relaxed/Sturdy
252hp/6defense/252specialdefense
PowerTrick
GyroBall
Encore
Rest

Shuckle is so dead. A counter to him is definitely going to be something physical that resists Steel, and the slower it is the better the counter it will be. I also see a Taunter being able to destroy him, and a Trick Set would do the job quite well. Heck, a Toxicer or Burner that has a resistance to steel could inflicked the status, and just sit there. Shuckle can only rest so many times.
-It doesn't resist steel
-It's not dependent on being slow
-It doesn't taunt
-It doesn't trick
-It doesn't use toxic or burn

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Adamant/Slow Start
252HP/252Atk/4Def
Crush Grip
Substitute
Focus Punch
Thunderpunch

I crush thee.
If you Power Trick, I can OHKO with Crush Grip

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I am both mad and happy with this counter... Mad because ;.; I WANTED TO USE REGIGIGAS TO COUNTER SOMEONE! AND NOW I CAN'T USE IT! I'm trying to avoid using the same pokemon... I know I used the other Regis alot, but I'm going to try to not use the same counters over and over. Once I've used like 100 of them or so, I'll start using them again.

Happy because you did everything that I didn't think you'd do, and you still pulled off a perfect counter. Very nice job. Commendable. You're a worthy opponent.

I like this. We get to keep using Pokemon we don't normally get to use.

Steelix @ Chesto
Brave/Sturdy
252hp/58attack/200defense
Curse
Rest
Gyroball
Earthquake

Turn 1:Regigigas uses Substitute. Steelix Switches in.
Regigigas=75%. Steelix=100%.
Turn 2:Regiggas uses Focus Punch. Steelix uses Earthquake..
Regigigas=75%. Steelix = 65%. Regigigas' substitute is dead.

At this point, Regigigas knows it's gone. Steelix can break the Substitutes with Earthquake. And there will be a point that Regigigas can't substitute anymore. Regigigas won't get a Focus Punch in without a Substutite. And Crush Grip won't shatter Steelix like it did Shuckle. Thunderpunch does nothing, so Focus punch is the only way Regigigas can do damage. Focus punch also has a LOW chance of 3 hit killing Steelix at max power. Otherwise, Steelix can still make it through them.

Curse is there so that Steelix can try to take a physical hit (special attackers will kill Steelix easy), and strike back with a stronger Earthquake, or, if the enemy is fast, a GyroBall. And Rest lets Steelix heal, and the Chesto berry wakes him up that turn, so he can still fight. On a random note.... HOW DOES STEELIX "hold" ANYTHING!?!

I'm waiting for a special attacker to destroy Steelix.

WouW

Smash Lord
Vs. Steelix:

Clamperl @ Deepseatooth
Quiet/Shell Armor
252HP/252SpA/4Def
Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Electric
Double-Edge

I tried to make it as slow as possible.

Status