• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Crimson King said:
You guys really don't need to be so offended by all this. It's going to be ok, they are just toys.
You sure spend a lot of time talking to internet users on a message board about toys, then. Might wanna reconsider some things, y'know.

Just saying.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You sure spend a lot of time talking to internet users on a message board about toys, then. Might wanna reconsider some things, y'know.

Just saying.
I post between classes, you know school. But, I guess time-management isn't a big thing to you anyway.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
ooh, you got me bad there. feel the burn!!!

(no, time management's not important. working 60 hours and going to school full time isn't a big thing.)

Zink

Smash Champion
Can we please get back to console debates? :psycho:
I do't think ports will be too important. Name 3 ports for the GCN that did well besides Soul Calibur II.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Giygas, you could spend that 60 hours repopulating the rain forest. Crimson, in between classes you could find the cure for cancer. Almost anything we do can be classified as unimportant. If anyone wants to come here on their free time there is nothing wrong with that.

We can have discussion about games just like anyone can talk about sports, movies, books, etc. The only point is that you don't need to be offended when someone disagrees with you. And you don't need to resort to personal attacks if someone makes a different choice.

On Ports: Zink, the cross platform/port issue may be bigger than you think. If a company can have a succesful game on the other systems but it doesn't do well on Nintendos system, why would they make it? You might think that means more exlusives. I don't know how well most cross platform games did so I can't say if they did well or not. But if they did poorly did that result in the gamecube having more exlcuisives?

Zink

Smash Champion
I think the ports are becoming less important as time goes on. The last big important one was probably SC II, which still had exclusives for each console. I'm talking here about ports TO Gamecube btw.
I don't think most ports did too great. I DO think the exclusives did better.
Also there is that power issue. Maybe the Rev just won't have the horses for every port. Rev gets a stripped version, people complain, port does badly.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Zink said:
I think the ports are becoming less important as time goes on. The last big important one was probably SC II, which still had exclusives for each console. I'm talking here about ports TO Gamecube btw.
I don't think most ports did too great. I DO think the exclusives did better.
Also there is that power issue. Maybe the Rev just won't have the horses for every port. Rev gets a stripped version, people complain, port does badly.
Yea why are people all worried about ports? Most ports this generation weren't all that great. There were a couple good ones, but most were just alright. So if games don't get ported to the Rev. it probably wouldn't even make that big of a difference anyway.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So you're saying with the Revolution missing out on big name titles released for the 360 and PS3, it won't hurt it at all? With games like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter hitting every console except the GameCube, you think that doesn't hurt the GameCube? Look at this month's releases. The PS2 has 11 games left to be released in March, while the GameCube has 2. Missing out on ports hurt the GameCube dearly this generation, and it will do the same to the Revolution.

Zink

Smash Champion
Those ports are big names for the PS3 and 360. So they have a different target audience than the Rev will.
Plus the PS2 has both more developers and more intrest- many of Nintendo's miracle workers are messing around with RevCubes now.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The same thing was said about the GCN in when it came out. That ports don't matter and that Nintendo's best were working on it.

Look at the ports that the GCN missed out on due to whatever reason. GTA is the biggest. The game sold a few million units and had it gone to the GCN it could have helped move that console. Sure, PS2 got lucky this gen with it's surprise hits, but also look at how well it did with the non-exclusive titles (Ghost Recon, Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate, Tony Hawk, and King Kong come to mind). Fact is without ports the Rev loses mass appeal.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
the thing is, most ports suck and i wont miss them. unfortunately, all the 10 year olds seem to like their system with lots of games. not good games, just a lot.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
It wasn't GCN lack of ports that hurt it. It was it's lack of 3rd party support. It has the 3rd party support now so Nintendo really has nothing to worry about now. Yea they may not get port's from the other two, but **** they get something better. Exclusives.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Your saying that companies choosing to make games for the other two wouldn't affect the Rev? You think that without games like Tony Hawk, Spider-Man, X-Men Legends, Soul Calibur, etc, that the system would be unaffected? Don't kid yourself. A lack of cross platform games does not gaurantee exclusives.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That didn't help them as much last time. God of War was a PS2 exclusive. Look how that did. Halo was an XBox exclusive, that was a great game and sold really well for the XBox. Fact is all consoles have exclusives. Remember Resident Evil 4? Great game, but it went largely unnoticed at most user awards because simply put from X-Play, "Not that many people have a GCN."

Fact is gamers are fickle. They want a wide array of games not just similar games. Most aren't like me that can afford them all (at some point at least) and most are like me and just don't play games enough anymore. ( I am leaning stronger on PC as of late, what with Oblivion, Spore, and Civ 4) Nintendo needs to create some ground breaking games that EVERYONE wants not a small minority.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
I'm not saying lack of cross platform games means exclusives. I'm saying third party support means exclusives because of the simple fact that you can't recreat Rev. games on the other systems. And since Rev. has the third party support that the gamecube didn't then they're getting a lot of exclusives. And exclusives tend to be better than cross platform games. Just look at the PS2. It's not the cross platform games that sold it, it was all the (good)exclusives it had.

Zink

Smash Champion
And would a game like GTA really fit into the atmosphere Nintendo is trying to create anyway? I know for one that I don't want to play a game centered on urban crime. Dunno why, I guess making hits and running drugs just doesn't appeal to me.

btw King I see you are anticipating Spore as much as I am. That game looks amazing. I'm sure you saw the half-hour gameplay video?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Zink said:
And would a game like GTA really fit into the atmosphere Nintendo is trying to create anyway?
What about a game based around a Psychotic serial assassin? Killer7 wasn't a kids game at all. Neither was Resi 4.

Zink

Smash Champion
I dunno where they were going with Killer 7, I don't think it got too great reviews. Resi 4 was an expected continuation of a seires. Plus they do want to have SOME of the "normal" gaming market. Nintendo doesn't have to be pink and fluffy, but it is a good way to gain a foothold in a previously almost untapped market.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
btw King I see you are anticipating Spore as much as I am. That game looks amazing. I'm sure you saw the half-hour gameplay video?
Actually I saw the HOUR uncut footage. It's exactly what you saw just expanding on the ideas. Like it doesn't just blow the planet up, it explores it, stuff like that. That and Oblivion will own my soul this year.

Zink

Smash Champion
Oh where is that vid? On the web? Can you put up a link please?
OK back on topic.
Has anyone thought of this- OK so all next-gen consoles will have some kind of online system, right? Well what if they could mesh with each other so someone with a PS3 version of, oh any game, like maybe SC III or something, could play with people with the Rev and 360 versions? Note that this is not really a serious idea. I can already see an lot of flaws. But it would still be kinda cool.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The Xbox 360 is going to have cross platform online gaming against the PC.

RaptorHawk, why are you assuming that all these 3rd parties will be making exclusives? As I said earlier, people didn't think you could take PC games that use the keyboard and mouse and change the controls to fit a standard game controller, but it happened. The same thing will happen with the Revolution controller.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I saw it on a link at another forum, but I think it was removed.

At GDC there is scheduled to be more information. My friend will be attending and I'll ask him for some inside stuff. I think he works with THQ. He was on IGN a while back too. The internet is ever amazing.

The main problem is the coding issues. The same reason you can't play Mac vs Win online due to different interfaces.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Cashed said:
RaptorHawk, why are you assuming that all these 3rd parties will be making exclusives? As I said earlier, people didn't think you could take PC games that use the keyboard and mouse and change the controls to fit a standard game controller, but it happened. The same thing will happen with the Revolution controller.
I'm not saying all will. Just most. Chances are the games made for the Rev. are not even gonna be attempted to be put on the other two systems because it's not gonna be the same. Think about it. Why havn't any DS title's been attempted for the PSP? For this same exact reason. It just wouldn't work right.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No DS titles have been attempted because they are mostly Nintendo made.

In fact, save for Castlevania and Trauma Center, I can't think of too many 3rd party titles for DS that were good.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Bomberman DS was good, Another Code was supposed to be decent.

And some games can be played Win vs Mac. WoW is one of them.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
just putting this here, cuz i was too lazy to dig up the PS2 topic

http://www.gamedaily.com/news/?id=10198

sony lost the appeal for the Immersion Tech lawsuit, and will either become a licensee or pull the dual shock, PS2 dual shock package, and many games off the shelves. I'm guessing at the former.

as to third part DS games:

Age of Empires DS
Bomberman
Castlevania DS
Meteos
Metroid Prime Pinball
Nanostray
The Sims 2
SOnic Rush

etc..

Zink

Smash Champion
Wow, Sony finally caught stealing... this could be real big. How might this affect the boomerang? More problems for the PS3, eh?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
if you'd bothered to read the article you'd have noticed that they comment on how the boomerang may have been a response to the original loss last march. It might be that the redesign doen't infringe any patents.

Zink

Smash Champion
ChRed2AKrisp said:
if you'd bothered to read the article you'd have noticed that they comment on how the boomerang may have been a response to the original loss last march. It might be that the redesign doen't infringe any patents.
I meant as in other changes, in the inside of the controller such as wiring, that don't infringe.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
umm..correction mic

they lost the original case a year ago, and just lost the appeal a few days ago. at least it was officially announced a few days ago.

another person who needs to read before posting.

Zink

Smash Champion
That's beauracracy for you.
So this is the reason for the boomerang... and I thought Sony was trying to be original. :ohwell:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Let's get some insight then.

Why do you love a manufacturer? I mean I can understand enjoying their products ( I long for Firaxis and Bethsda releases) but why would you go as far to say you love them?

Nite

Smash Champion
Love may be a strong word......nah. I just love Nintendo's releases and a lot of their products that they are a part of. As a gamer, I was raised on Nintendo and they have always given me a great game to play when I am in need of one. They have yet to fail me to this day, so I am going to support them as well as they have me.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
my only problem with nintendo is delays and secrecy. i understand they're for good reasons, but it still bugs me.

i shouldn't complain though. i've never gotten a first or second part game for a nintendo console that i've been dissapointed with, and i've never had a problem with the hardware either. bought a gba when it first came, out, its still working perfectly 6 years later. my n64 i got in 96, its still works after 10 years. Nintendo always provides unusal and innovative concepts in gaming. there's been gyroscopic gaming back to the n64, i'm happy they've delved more into that. the touchpad on the DS, two screens, it was so bizarre, but i love it. I was really happy when the eyetoy came out for the PS2, because I felt like other companies were just starting to get the innovation craze too, and that's something i really like. it would be awesome if all the next gen consoles were completely unique in different ways, so that each console would essentially be a completely different gaming experience.

zarbityugi

Smash Cadet
Yeah, if each company was "specialized" in a certain innovation/area of gaming, that would really be something. MS can have the FPS's, sony can have the M rated (my opinion) junk (GTA) and racing games, and Nin can have the RPG's, strat's, and their classic char games. I would buy Nin first, then MS, then Sony. It would loosen the competitive edge that all the companies have, if they all had different specializations. Because that implies that they would be unchallengeable in that area of gaming. That might become boring. Ah well, it probably won't happen anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom