• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mostly Critique Thread; COMPLETELY UPDATED 3/11/10; Just for Scabe! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Ive been able to tech the ledge once or twice before, i think it really matters how close to the edge Falco is during his last Dthrow before the spike. Ive also found it to work sometimes if you just fast fall away from the ledge instead making Falco miss the spike itself, since hes probably assuming your going to head to the ledge. If he does miss you, Link might be able to foot stool Falco or just plain edge hog him with the hookshot.

So basically, DI toward the stage (with both Sticks), when Link ends the chain grab near the ledge. Or DI away and fast fall if Link is further away. Either way neither solution is 100% going to work, but its better then just sitting there and taking a foot to the face.

That and idk how the hell Legan manages to deal with the Falco spam.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Found some recent vids of Legan playing the Falco matchup! He does it so much better than I do. :)
Get out of my thread imo. ;) I joke.

I watched those games, and I dunno. He may play the matchup better, but it just seems like Scabe is better to me. LOL

Scabe

Successful Businessman
^:laugh:

There's this odd thing called "Chinese DI" which will help you survive the spike, it's something like quarter circle the analog stick towards the stage while tapping the Cstick.

It's odd though, sometimes I can survive the spike but other times it's like pure death and I can't make it back. It could be the timing on the meteor cancel. I don't know. :urg:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
That sounds interesting. Hmm maybe it induces some sort of fast fall +DI toward the stage making it easier to tech the stage?

Hmm i should probably get some Link vids up for critique. But i never get any replays of me doing badly or losing because it takes longer then 3 mins. Is it hard to input the replay hack? Considering i have no experience in hacking.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I guess that could work. Hmm i bet im no good at ditto matches with link. But then again that would be perfect for showing flaws in my gameplay if its someone i have trouble playing against.

If you want you could just record the one replay i do have of link thats recent. Though its against a kind of stupid metaknight. Not really bad. Just well... yeah.

Either one would be great. I was actually thinkin of changing my main to Link since the Pit boards are so dead.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Link boards are quite dead as well probably moreso then Pit :urg:

I gotta open up a recording replays thread soon. It seems to be like the one thing everyone needs. So I'll work on that ASAP.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well i doubt it could be more dead then Pits thread. Atleast there is discussion going on here. Pits thread has like nothing.

And thats a good idea. I remember oddler use to do that. IDK if he still does.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I wouldn't call the board dead; maybe kinda slow. One nice thing though is we don't really seem to have too much of a spam problem, and what we do have the mods are pretty good at getting rid of it quickly. That and discussion is pretty good.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Scabe is stealing our videos, Swordsaint! RAWR hands off my bread! Haha jk :D

You Links have GOT to hold more bombs! ;) I don't think the matchup would even be that bad if you didn't get bored and forget that you can just hold bombs and then not die until like 200%, haha.

Seriously it would scarcely be more than a moderate disadvantage for link because it's almost impossible to get a chain grab off, much less kill with it, when you are playing a character like Link that can just bomb hold and then kill you at like 100% or so because Falco is a bird with hollow bones :p

Not saying it's easy, but it's very doable.

But yeah... Legan's giant weiner is probably the only reason he does well, hahahaha.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Alright, guys. We're getting a little off-topic here. We can move these discussions (match-up and Legan's yoohoo) to the Link General Discussion Thread :chuckle:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Well, your Link looks solid fundamentally to me. The biggest problems I saw were you could have DI'd a little better, which, quite honestly, just takes practice to get it second nature, it's not really something you can just stop doing or fix. Most of Ike's kills on you, if DI'd perfectly, were survivable. You can also work some on mixing it up with jab cancels. Personally, I prefer hopping around a lot while using projectiles to help with spacing, while you were staying mostly grounded, but that's a matter of style, I think, although you can work on fullhopping bomb pulls and arrows (also useful for double drawing), which can be incredibly difficult if you don't have a custom control scheme (if you use X to jump try setting Y to special attacks maybe?). Also maybe a little work with your tether grab, especially when launched low, but again, that comes with practice. Maybe use tilts a little more (I know utilt can be a pain to get off with tapjump on)?

Your spotdodging was good, I thought, as was the fact you were patient and waited for the kill to come to you rather than trying to force a dair or something. I hope this helps some.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm if i were going to fight that specific Ike. He seemed really good with at being defensive. Really good use of his shield. Most of your attacks he shielded and didnt really spot dodge all that much. Which might be something to use against him. I would probably abuse grabs more often until he starts catching on. Stuff like approaching Zair into a grab might actually work against his shield, since he seems to like to be more stationary while defending your approach.

As the guy above stated, more use of SH projectiles. Arrow cancels might be useful against him as well since he likes to chase after hitting throwing you off balance. Example at lower %s when he launches you horizontally, use the arrow cancel to both regain your balance as well as preventing him to continue with a ground assault. If he shields it or dodges it can only benefit you as well since it stalls him for a second which you can you to either punish him or prepare for his next assault. If hes really close a grab might work with all his shielding, if far away a SH bomb pull to another arrow cancel. But these are just suggestions.

In your first match, when ever he attempted to fall directly above you, and you tried to counter with an upsmash. He timed his dodge and then attack you in the lag huge lag of that attack. Try using more utilts in that position, and time them so the tip of your sword hits him, as you swing it. If he does air dodge it, you still have time to either try again or roll away to prevent the jab canceling of Ike to wreck havoc on you.

Also about his Jab canceling, or Cwalking w/e hes doing. He seems to like it alot. If you do manage to shield the first hit, its time to get out of there rather then continue to shield it, spot dodge, or try retaliate. Rolling, might be best since he probably has the mind set to just continue his Jab Canceling. If you do get hit by it, best bet would be to DI up and away, jumping when your clear with an air dodge. However he might catch on and go for an attack when you land.

Also for opponents who are really offensive, i like to do a retreating zair into a forward sliding Ftilt or Fsmash. Both have good range. You could also try zair with a bomb in hand, bomb smashing, or just tossing a bomb up or down. To keep your bomb game harder to predict. Also watch for jab lock chances, i think you might have had one at 28 second on the first match right after his failed fsmash.

I'll just leave it at that. Hopefully that may help.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Meniel is female btw.

Thanks for the input, I start working on what I can and I'll play as much as I can to drill in things that need to be instinct.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
A female you say?...

I'll get critiquing those vids of yours by today. Was this at a recent tourney? If so you should totally bump my tournament results thread :p

Scabe

Successful Businessman

Man everyone's got this stage texture, I want it.
First 10 seconds good spacing with Zair.
0:30 You had the best jab lock opportunity I've ever seen but you missed it.
1:20ish: Really nice use of Dash attack, I actually haven't seen anyone do bomb throw run up and dash attack and odd coincidence is that I was talking about this as a new thing.
1:57 was a lame SD.

I don't know if this would work but as Soon as Ike's jab hit's your shield, roll away.

Less use of Upsmash, I think it's safest to use this move when the opponent is on the platform one as high as Battlefield. Another time to use it is to watch if your opponent's used up their double jump and you predict where they might land that's when you can use Upsmash. You don't even need to make it connect all three hits since the last part is the only good part. But yeah in those situations you could use Uptilt, but usually if you see them airdodging then you can do a short hop Nair into jab.

0:20: You spotdodged Ike's Nair and then Jabbed before Ike did, I wonder if this always works.

So I noticed that everytime you get hit, you'll immediately jump back on to the stage. Which can lead to a free hit. Keep your cool and just recover to the ledge, pull out a bomb when your going to the ledge or when your on it.

0:40 Was another cool thing, throwing the bomb which blows both of you up, and then you both went in the same direction and you got to hit with Nair. Something we'll have to look into further.

You need to aim your bombs better, hold them until you know your bomb throw hits their shield or them.

1:49 Nice KO! I didn't even expect that :grin:

2:26 That was so brutal, I had no idea Ike could do that.

I was suprised at the direction Dtilt sent you. Worse direction ever.

Anyways this is the end for this thread. We've got a new and improved critique thread now, so take all your videos here for critiquing: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275935

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom