• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mostly Critique Thread; COMPLETELY UPDATED 3/11/10; Just for Scabe! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
This thread is completely and totally updated, like, 100% indubitably fresh.

On a side note, yum, Orbitz Bubblemint Gum. :3

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Punish him when he fishes for grabs, he was really blatantly doing it over and over and you didn't punish his grab approaches at the beginning.You have the right mindset of what to do at 0%, camp and don't give a **** if he reflect or camps you. As long as he doesn't CG you it's all good.

Careful when you jump, you ran into a lot of SHDLs and you ate some damage that might have been a tad unnecessary. Nothing else struck out to me as bad, I'm still LOLing at your good read on his roll and the gimp at the end.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Good critique! :link:

I do get scared when I spot dodge a grab, I'm pretty sure I would have enough frames to punish him for something but it's something I haven't tried too much yet. Thanks Red Ryu!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Scabe :link: vs Attila :falco: 11 April 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUGp...os=lf4fPsrhUjM

This is one MU I play regularly.
In general you have to approach Falco, this one let you play at a distance a lot and he let some of your attacks slip through but he did lots of laser damage when you were trying to bombpull. The galeboomerang is a great tool, because it won't hurt Link when reflected and the shine lag lets you bombpull. Falco's chaingrab>dash attack>Usmash combo or Dair spike is a real pain but Falco can seriously out camp us so you have to move in. My favorite way to approach (preferably with a bomb) is SH air dodges on small stages. You can fast fall them and cancel air dodge anytime with zair. If falco dashes in for a grab, Zair>landing cancel jab/jab cancel- spacing is very strict which makes this MU very difficult. If you air dodge/shield a shine, Fsmash or Dsmash or dash attack. Shine only attacks going out but reflects for the whole duration.

At higher %s Falcos like to run in and pivot grab or dash attack>Usmash combo. You're countering with shield grabs and some roll dodges, these are easy to punish. Spotdodge>utilt or dsmash is a great punisher in this situation.

He did some forwardB attacks and recoveries. For edge guarding I throw the boomerang forwards or up if Falco's high enough then shoot an arrow. If Link's spaced right and the 'rang misses because Falco drops the arrow will hit him when he goes for the edge (Then edgehog). Make sure the uncharged arrow passes under the edge.
If there's no time or Falco's FowardB attacking, powershield and pay attention to where his fowardB ends. You can usually get a Dsmash or backwards Fsmash (depending on spacing) right after falco passes your shield or cuts the move short. You must be fast.

You're being too direct and predictable with bombs. Hold bombs and play airdodge/Zair mind games with the occasional bomb Fsmash. Vertical traveling bombs can't be reflected: Bomb up/Down throws, drops and invincibombs are good. Maybe throw your boomerang to bait a shine and forward bomb throw at the end of the move. Sometimes I mix in an approach with forward jump>down bomb throw> fast fall Nair.

Zair and jab cancel more. Also Zair edge hog too. Ledgestall quickdraw if you predict an edge guarding falco will rush you.
If you get momentum juggling Falco combo as much as you can, don't retreat. Utilt>Utilt>Usmash or bair. Zair>Dash attack>Fair. Uair platform landings. Zair is great to start combos. Falco is vulnerable once you start juggling.

If you are grabbed or chaingrabbed DI away and mash 'Z', Zair stops most follow ups. For Falco's chain grab>Dair spike, DI down and mash 'Z' like whiplash, the Dair should miss. If you think he will edgehog or some thing UpB will land on the stage or stage spike falco off the edge. Be careful, Falco can gimp by dropping from the edge and Bair-ing so recover quick.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I've been getting alot of Falco matchup,

I find that gimping him is quite harder than you think. The different heights he chooses to recover with his side B makes it hard to choose either boomerang or arrows, nair or edgehog. Also the landing lag he has is so hax, usually you think you can grab him but then he'll have enough time to spot dodge.

Against Falco I play really basic. At the start I'll spam get hit by lasers and reflector on purpose so that I don't get that chaingrab. I'll try to do as much damage as I can during that period without caring about my percent.

I really should start mixing up the bomb stuff like MES said because I find that reflector totally works against it.

I also have no idea how to deal with his reflector, do you guys have any ideas on what may work? Usually, I'll have a bomb when he uses reflector, I think the best option would be to go in and grab but I'm not too sure what I can do with the bomb.

We should totally quote this stuff and put it in the Falco matchup export!

Thanks for the critique guys even if I didn't really ask for it though haha, so thanks alot for that. I'm thinking of taking over this thread or maybe making a new one when I have some time.

Rizen

Smash Legend

I find that gimping him is quite harder than you think. The different heights he chooses to recover with his side B makes it hard to choose either boomerang or arrows, nair or edgehog. Also the landing lag he has is so hax, usually you think you can grab him but then he'll have enough time to spot dodge.
From the right places on small stage you can shield and counter with Fsmash/Dsmash/Utilt and be fast enough to hit if you don't have to move. I meant use range and edgehog if Falco far away or going for an edge grab. Gimping is hard unless he's low.

I also have no idea how to deal with his reflector, do you guys have any ideas on what may work? Usually, I'll have a bomb when he uses reflector, I think the best option would be to go in and grab but I'm not too sure what I can do with the bomb.

Thanks for the critique guys even if I didn't really ask for it though haha, so thanks alot for that. I'm thinking of taking over this thread or maybe making a new one when I have some time.
Either run in and powershield the reflector, bait it with the boomerang at an angle, or airdodge/Zair mindgame bait it. Once it's past Link you get a free smash.

...Sorry I thought you wanted a critique, my bad.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nooooo don't be ashamed of critiquing! I usually feel bad when I critique someone and they don't like respond back so I don't know if they read it or not and they like come back and post more vids and I'm like should I even?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
From the right places on small stage you can shield and counter with Fsmash/Dsmash/Utilt and be fast enough to hit if you don't have to move. I meant use range and edgehog if Falco far away or going for an edge grab. Gimping is hard unless he's low.

Either run in and powershield the reflector, bait it with the boomerang at an angle, or airdodge/Zair mindgame bait it. Once it's past Link you get a free smash.

...Sorry I thought you wanted a critique, my bad.
What are you doing? It's MY job to angst about stuff. :dizzy:

I've already given my views on the player in other threads, but I still want to critique you in how you did in this MU.

Scabe, mostly try to bombpull in the air, away from the Falco's lasers. A lot of the damage you took on the ground seemed to be because you were trying to bombpull as the lasers hit you. You could also try RR's advice, which seems good imo. Try to get more boomerang out there, although I guess why you weren't was because you were afraid of losing positioning on the stage. If so, just shield and move towards Falco before throwing the boomerang, and when you do it will reset your positioning.
Also you had a great read on the Falco last stock (lol). It was really cool how you ledgehogged him.

Also, now I will go angst about how my critiquing sucked, thank you very much Mes.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Falco's reflector has a crap load of ending lag, it's bait able I've done it before against Falco's who were reflector happy. I've tried SHFF shield they reflect, thanks for the free Fsmash Falco, lol.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Wow, great match Scabe! I probably shouldn't offer any criticism since you know what you're doing better than me, but I would definitely have said to be a little more aggressive after out of chaingrab danger (then again, I play very aggressively for Link. I remind myself of a drunk/poorly playing Izaw :D ). You certainly did a great job of playing patiently though. Nice ending, too. I can imagine why everyone was going nuts when you won that match.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think that Falco's reflect the most when I have a bomb in hand. I need to somehow use that bomb as bait and get a punish in. Maybe I can somehow run in and shield, then bombsmash? Is it possible to bombsmash after you shield?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can. Actually, I'm pretty sure you can hold shield in to press A so you can do the bombsmash if you weren't already holding in A. If not, I know for sure you can during a spotdodge if you do it fast so it doesn't get put in the buffer.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Also, now I will go angst about how my critiquing sucked, thank you very much Mes.
Sorry for my angst.

Yeah spot dodge might be the best way.
Nooooo! Falco's reflector has a short time when it actually attacks and he won't do it up close; it only reflects projectiles the whole time it's out. Air dodge>landing cancel attack or shield it and attack when the center of the hexagon is past Link or returning to Falco. Even if you miss the powershield, the shine's attack is such a short time relative to the end lag you can drop your shield and Fsmash or Dsmash. Spot dodging wastes 25 frames.
I have the 'R' trigger set to 'attack' so I can airdodge>Zair with 'R'>bomb Fsmash or hold 'R' during any animation lag and bomb Fsmash after. Any time you have a bomb, are on the ground in a normal state, not dashing, and holding 'R' (or any 'attack' button), you can bomb Fsmash.

@ Anonano:
I don't have any good matches up and my wii's not hacked so the good matches i play run too long. One of the people I play semi-regularly mains Falco and seconds Sheik; I'll see if he will play some 2 or 1 stocks so I can post them ASAP.

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hi everyone, long time no see you.

I'll been reading this thread very offten but I haven't post in a while. Here I came with new vids, I hope you like them and criticize every thing. Thanks for watching my vids

Vid 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD96mOuyglg
Vid 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4Lce6_aME
Vid 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQEUtLq7ls
Vid 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfXCT2GnxhU

Thanks for everything. Bye bye (Y)
I only really have one thing to mention. You'll have to get some critique from more experienced and talented Link mains (Scabe, Anonano, etc...) to get the finer points addressed.

Don't approach so aggressively. Time and time again you would rush in with Z-Air, a bomb, a boomerang, or what have you. The Falco would shield, grab, tech chase, rinse, and repeat.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Don't approach so aggressively.
I totally agree. Although, I also agree on the waiting for someone who knows more what they're talking about to come and give you better pointers too, hahaha. Actually, we were just discussing a match Scabe had in a tournament against a Falco a few posts back. One big no no I came away with it was just deal with Falco's spam and spam back as best as you can until you're at 50% or so to avoid the chaingrab.
Some things you can work on are:
-jab cancelling, which I didn't see a lot of, and is an excellent tool
-A bad habit that I have too that you got punished for is getting greedy with the dair edgeguarding; it's awesome, but if you get predictable with it or miss, you're in an awful spot.
-Don't be afraid to throw a boomerang when you're off the edge to stop people from simply edgehogging Link. We gotta use everything in our arsenal to make it back.
Some things you did well:
-I liked the bombstool at the end; that was pretty sweet.
-You did well with the pivot grabs, too, something I know I need to work on fully implementing into my play.
- You used the JCT (or whatever it's called) really well I thought.

Hope this helps some. Again, I think I've gotten much better over the past month and a half under the wise tutelage of the Link board regulars (seriously, you guys are awesome:bee:), but I'd wait for someone who's really good to give their input.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Chuck's Link is so amazing to watch. I watched the second vid, I don't really have much to say since I'm in one of those depressive moments about my Link and I've been trying to rethink things over with how to play him. And what are you guys saying? You guys are good at critiquing!

Your habits:

Landing right in front of your opponent: This happened with bad spacing with Zair. Also it happened when you got hit a certain distance it's a common reaction where your instinct tells you to jump back on stage. It also happens with poorly spaced aerials as well. Anyways doing these will get you grabbed!

If you notice that they do shield grab you, you can either space your aerials so that you don't get grabbed and if they try to shield grab you, they'll miss and you get a free hit. Or you can do alot of double jump fakeouts, jump once, double jump and nair BEHIND their shield. Or double jump away.

Shame about the failed Dair edgeguard, next time instead of a short hop Dair offstage, try one full hop Dair, if you miss and their still hanging on to the ledge you can use that double jump you still have left with a back air to stage spike them. But only use it if you notice that your opponent stays on the ledge long enough that their invincibility frames die out.

Use more tilts! They're good for damage racking.

Less Fsmash, I think Fsmash is like one of Link's best kill moves, so I think that Fsmash should be kept fresh, so try and use more Ftilt instead.

Stuff I liked:

I really like how your always moving, there was a time where I used to do that, now my game is sorta just stand and wait, I'm going to try and go back to my constant moving ways.

Epic bomb footstool Dair finish!

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP
Thanks fot watching

It really helped me, thanks for the comments Huggles... I really appreciated them

Scabe, long time no see you, how is it going? :D

I really like that you enjoy my vids, it gives me courage to keep getting better. Ill try to keep in ming everything you and ZEUS said to me, about the space, Dair, Zair and tilts, im sure that will help me to improve even more (I hope so), and Ill try to think before throwing Fsmashes like crazy :).

Thanks for watch my vids, and ill be checking this thread very often, so if i don't post, don't panic :p. Bye bye

PD: HURRAY FOR MY EPIC FOOTSTOOL DAIR FINISH :D

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, no problem, Parade. I do my best, but I'm still learning, and trying to get better. I went back and watched some replays from even just two and a half months ago (I picked up Link as my legitimate main sometime in late January) and it shocked me how much more robotic and forced all of my moves looked. My spacing was absolutely horrible and I was way too bold off the edge and had no variety to my recovery. I had no mid-range game, rarely using bombs, boomerangs, hookshots, or grabs (and I certainly never pummeled). There is definitely a correlation of my getting better to when I signed up here and started pestering all you guys for answers and help :laugh:

All I have are videos against computers for now, (the before and after if you really care to see the style change and how much more fluid my Link has gotten since joining SWF) but in a week I go home for the summer, and I plan on getting some videos against real people. Haha, it turns out I had met Ryanarius, who's supposed to have one of the best Pits in the southeast from what I hear, in real life and had no idea he even played Brawl. I'm definitely gonna try to play him and learn as much as I can from him, and maybe even get some real videos in for actual critiquing, too. I'm definitely excited.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I just picked up Link as my main after playing this game for two years. I'm hoping sometime down the line I can get some matches recorded for analysis. I've been lurking around the Link section here and there and these videos along with some advice on how to generally use Link have helped my game a lot.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Awesome! Welcome to the Link boards, SharkAttack!
If you've been lurking like you said, I'm sure you know that Link has a pretty steep learning curve; it takes time to get good as Link. But he's a ton of fun to play. So keep at it!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey don't worry guys, I'll be opening up a recording replay shop soon, so you guys can get your replays recorded and uploaded to YouTube for free! (Not sure why I said shop in the first place :p)

Anyways I'm just finishing off a thread first and after that I'll get to the recording thread. :)

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Hey don't worry guys, I'll be opening up a recording replay shop soon, so you guys can get your replays recorded and uploaded to YouTube for free! (Not sure why I said shop in the first place :p)

Anyways I'm just finishing off a thread first and after that I'll get to the recording thread. :)
Wait it costs money to upload videos onto Youtube? I never thought it did. Did things change with the new layout? I haven't uploaded a video on that website since April of 2008.

That's awsome about your web shop Scabe. The hard work with it will pay off.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Haha well I'm only joking about the money thing. :p

I'm not sure what to call the recording replay thing yet. Would it be more of a business type thing or shop, or neither. :psycho:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
All right! I got to play some wifi friendlies with Anon24 this afternoon. It was a ton of fun. We both got to play a whole bunch of characters. Haha, Anon was great at all of them, especially his Link and Marth. Here are some of the videos from us playing (quality is semi-poor). Only the last one has Links in it, which is a mirror match that happened at random, haha. I know it's still a step down from playing offline since the lag can change things, but what do you guys think? What needs work? EDIT: Aside from the sound on my camera. Wow, I didn't realize it was so quiet....

Epic Link showdown is number 5.

Pit vs. Ike
Peach vs. Jigglypuff
Zelda vs. Mario
Yoshi vs. Game & Watch
Epic vs. >9000

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey wow it's good to see your Link actually playing a human this time. Your Link's really solid and quite good. I had a hard time seeing your bad habits. Also wow, YouTube's changed.

I've sorta known this for a while but I realised that doing jab up close with Link can get you punished. There are times where I'd do a jab up close and the opponent can shield grab has enough time to shield grab in between the second and third hits. Sometimes they can even block in that situation. So maybe a Dtilt would be better? It's something I'll experiment with. Sorry to get side tracked but some point in the video made me realise that.

I like seeing how your Link's got an aggressive game something I don't have. Add in more bombs, figure out some bomb combos, pull them out after hitting your opponent away, make sure to pull them out when you far away.

Sorry this isn't much, I personally had a tough time critiquing this one because you played quite well. So keep up the style with Link. And for next time, get some games where either you get ***** or the matches are really close and not a ditto. That'll make things much easier to critique. Because when you think about it, you can't really critique someone who ***** in the match, they're probably doing something right you know?

Anyways I hope someone can give a better critique then I did.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
Yeah well Ive improved my Link (or regained some of the skills I lost since Ive been playing "safe" when I randomly choose him) due to that match against. I really didnt care about winning just about having fun. And yes I have to agree with Scabe about how aggressive Huggles link was, helped me reconsider some of the moves I was doing. Ill make sure to incorporate many of the Links techniques that I didnt use in that match. Continue the great work Huggles and when I do get the chance Ill be free to continue those random matches we had :)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Here's some double vids of my Link. We failed hard :(

Tedeth (Wario) & Atyeo (Snake) VS Silfa (ROB) & Scabe (Link) [2]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rWMdRqQFBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rWMdRqQFBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tedeth (Wolf) & Atyeo (Snake) VS Silfa (DK) & Scabe (Link) [3]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5E1xgWLFkLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5E1xgWLFkLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First match I went Jigglypuff, the other two I went Link. I think that I might know what to do in the future for doubles. But yes critique please!

Edit: Even more vids:

Scabe (Link) vs Meteor Master (Sonic) 9/5/10 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xYxmsb2Y8

Scabe (Link) vs Meteor Master (Sonic) 9/5/10 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97C_vka_Qw

Scabe (Link) vs swordsaint (Falco) 9/5/10 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F6CiD2NXzQ

Scabe (Link) vs swordsaint (Falco) 9/5/10 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLw9NJwRmU

Scabe (Link) vs Nanda (MK) 9/5/10 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEUxhygBeI

Scabe (Link) vs Nanda (MK) 9/5/10 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_z8d3uZoM

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Scabe (Link) vs Nanda (MK) 9/5/10 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEUxhygBeI

Scabe (Link) vs Nanda (MK) 9/5/10 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_z8d3uZoM
Focusing on these for the moment.

Game 1:
0:00 - 1:49 - you had more bombs, but dang it Scabe you were doing more than fishing for a kill you were firing rockets in the air pretty much throwing any kill move out there to try and get that first stock. Be more patient, it'll help in the long run.

1:49 - 2:09 I think the kill was avoidable, like if you Upb at thw right time you could have avoided a gimp, but I dunno just a gut instinct.

2:09 - 2:21 lots of arrows and bombs but no boomerang mix-up.

2:21 - 2:39 Your rolling too much, I noticed it earlier but now it's even more apparent. Spot dodge spamming Link is kinda ok since Link has one of the best spot dodges in the game, roll spamming not so much. He ain't Lucario.

2:39 - 3:07 You slowed you game down a bit and go for a few dairs. I think Dair is more effective on aerial opponents, more so MK when he has to stop and think since Shuttle Loop + dair = death. Get your camp game going a bit faster.

3:07 - 3:39 enough dair?

3:39 - 3:55 Ok, that's a combo video moment. Save that!

3:55 - 4:30 You stopped camping, and still went for unsafe smashes like Fsmash. Keep that spam going, making MK feel like he's pressured will result in mistakes on his part. And we need every chance we can get.

Game 2:
CP stage: Good pick on Halberd vs MK.

0:00 - 0:15 I'm surprised how you camp. I usually try and change up how my camp goes and rarely go back to what I used a second ago. I don't think arrow to retreating arrow is the right move. Arrow to sh bomb is something I'd recommend changing to.

0:15 - 0:29 this is partly why I think your camp was kinda weak, because you lost momentum and it led to a gimp.

0:29 - 0:59 Now here is the Scabe I know and like, you camped correctly and then did good mix-ups up close.

0:59 - 1:13 you read his roll and punished it. :laugh:

1:13 - 2:09 In the wise words of Anonono, "Dair is a kill move not a toy." Again I need to stress camp more and be careful with rolling, your doing it a tad too much.

2:09 - 2:43 Scabe, I like this moment. You camped, found an opening so you Zair leading to a dash attack. This is good.

2:43 - 2:56 teach me your bomb tricks, Bomb down to double jump to nair is sexy.

2:56 - 3:15 trick I do against MK on stages where he can go under and come up, float Dair. He's going to panic usually and be much more careful with shuttle loop.

3:15 - 3:23 you spammed KO moves and you got punished for it.

3:23 - 6:10 Huge gap I know but this deserves it, you played correctly a bunch of times during this interval. Your lived til 196% and almost killed him with Fsmash at one point. Look at this more closely, you used dair correctly instead of using it obnoxiously. Look at the later portion more, you camped into openings and took advantage of them.

Sorry if it sounded like I was ripping you apart, it's how I critique.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nah Red Ryu that was perfect! Keep it up, I think I might start stealing your way of critiquing. :grin:

My spam game has been really bad lately. I really don't know how to spam now. I use the short hop arrow cancels to see if my opponent shields then I go for a grab. I totally forgot about the Bomb to arrow cancel move.

And yeah I spam Dair soooo much. I've started using it as a punisher move to rack up damage instead of a kill move but your probably right that I should start saving it.

Also I should stop fishing for the kill and just keep my spam game on. Bah my style keeps changing.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nah Red Ryu that was perfect! Keep it up, I think I might start stealing your way of critiquing. :grin:

My spam game has been really bad lately. I really don't know how to spam now. I use the short hop arrow cancels to see if my opponent shields then I go for a grab. I totally forgot about the Bomb to arrow cancel move.

And yeah I spam Dair soooo much. I've started using it as a punisher move to rack up damage instead of a kill move but your probably right that I should start saving it.

Also I should stop fishing for the kill and just keep my spam game on. Bah my style keeps changing.
It's part of development, play-styles change and people pick up good and bad habit.

Critique is a to ask others and figure out what you are doing right or wrong.

It's all good.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Scabe; First game vs Falco
-You spot dodge too much. It get's you grabbed and fsmashed among other things.

-Your ledge guarding skills have diminished over time. You're letting people get to the edge so you can pull out a bomb. In this situation (especially against a Falco) you have more to gain from applying the pressure, instead of falling back on your defense. Also, when you did try to edgeguard, often they were all predictions, and they were rather bad predictions that got you nothing. It allows people to get back too easy. Instead you should wait to see what method they choose to recover and react accordingly.

-You need to use the platforms more. All of Links projectiles can be throw at a downwards angle. You play on the ground too much against Falco. Falco > Link in terms of ground game. It becomes harder to fight a Link using the platforms and playing from above, especially when you dair is a freaking magnet. =P

-All of your projectiles were really predictable and always got reflected, your bombs in particular. You're not learning to bait the reflector and chase it in for a heavy punish.

-Someone else said you have begun to roll too much. I have to agree.

-You were just tanking those lasers instead of avoiding them or shielding them.

-Falco's camping > Link's. The lasers are just too good. I have to say that. Falco has more trouble against anyone who attempts to apply pressure, something you just didn't do. You still don't want to be aggressive, but you don't want to be so far removed as to be considered camping.

Scabe; Second game vs Falco
-The smaller stage here forced you to not 'camp' as much. Naturally, and probably without noticing too much at the time, you were pressuring a little more because of the stage. Neither of us have the same camping options here, so our match up is almost forced to be a little more close up action, baits and reads.

-Most of what you did wrong in the first game was corrected here. As I said though, it was because of the stage forcing you to play the match up properly. Play like this on every other stage, and you'll find yourself doing much better.

Overall
-If you're going to stand on a platform, Falco will just SHDL both lasers high. They have a habit of shield poking. So expect this, and jump or move accordingly.

Link boards seems hella dead.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Oh yay Scoot critique thanks man. That was really good.

I have a big problem with the reflector, I haven't found a way to punish it yet. I've gotten some good ideas that I'll have to test out on someone.

The projectiles thing with downwards is interesting I may start spamming my Projectiles like that now if it's any good.

Definitely going to try to remember all this.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Against Falco, having your projectiles come from a upward angle is difficult. It becomes a little dangerous to use the reflector, because sometimes they manage to fly over the top and hit Falco anyway, and even if they do get reflected (the boomerang in particular) it'll reflect in the angle it hit the reflector. So instead of coming back at you, you'll find it should go over your head and you can chase in the reflector when it returns to falco.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
"If you play Link and beat good players, that means you have a 27-inch *****, according to [Legan]."

Hahaha, truly, the height of the Link metagame. Excellent work, Legan.

Is there any way to avoid that nasty spike at the end of the chaingrab? I've heard you can DI towards the stage, but does it always work? I don't know any good Falco players, so I don't have any way of testing it, and it saw a vid of Scabe getting killed by it earlier, and if both Legan and Scabe are getting hit by it that kinda pops up flags in my head. Or was Legan just a little tipsy, haha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom