• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ The most even match-up's ~

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, we have a new thread about each characters worst match-up's now but let's rather talk about something more interesting: the most even match-up's in the game. Obviously, every player should know, which character he does bad against. But once a match-up isn't in either characters favour things get far more interesting.
Just because a match-up is labeled 50:50, doesn't mean it's perfectly even. There are always some minor points, that make a match-up in one characters favour - even if it's only by a small margin. In this topic you can write, which you think are the 3 most even match-up's in the game. Based on your experience they can be strictly subjective but always post good arguments. No stupid posts without any explanations, please! You don't have to do 3. Just do as many as you want but 3 is recommended. Here is my list, fell free to post yours or comment on mine if you like (mods move this if it's general Brawl discussion...):

NO DITTOS!!!

#3: Falco vs Kirby

I assume this is known for awhile now: Falco vs Kirby is an extremely balanced match-up, one of the most even in the game. Those, who don't know much about Falco, would most likely give Kirby the nod: He can duck under or float over lasers, can be CGed only twice (afaik) and his Edgeguarding abilities vs one of the worst recoveries ... this match-up seems to be completely in Kirbys favour. If you look deeper into the match-up, a bunch of details becomes more obvious, that makes this match-up so balanced. First of all, Kirbys approaching options are rather poor - not as bad as somebody like let's say Fox but they are by no means great. In fact, approaching can be a royal pain in the @$$ against Falco, who can camp like mad here. Kirby is forced to get close to him, in order to land one of his comboes on him (Gonzo combo), knock him off the stage quickly and gimp him for a fast kill. Obviously, Falcos prime goal is to prevent this from happening. Therefore he has to use all of his defensive capabilities to deal with Kirby. Camping and Hit + Run tactics are the best way for Falco to deal with Kirby. Falco doesn't have the aerial mobility of his fellow Spacie Wolf, who can just DI away after using an aerial attack on Kirby, to prevent shield grabs. One succesful grab is one of the worst thing that can happen to Falco (and the other Star Fox characters), when facing Kirby. This is where the match-up becomes interesting, tactic wise. Falco has to stop Kirby from coming and exploit the small openings he'll find - via laser, via a grab, whatever chance he can find. Once Kirby has enough % he should be rather easy to KO.
Kirby has to do his best to somehow get his hands on Falco...
If Falco manages to play a perfect defensive game, Kirby will hopelessly try to get through somehow. If Kirby manages to knock Falco of the edge once, he almost has a stock for sure. It just comes down to who's the better player.

#2: King Dedede vs. Mr Game And Watch

I got seriously flamed for saying this and I really don't know why. Both characters have to make full use of their strengths to win this battle and both have equal chances to win this one. G&W has to make full use of his agility (especially in the air), his range and Dededes massive hurtbox. Dedede is pretty much always forced to space his ftilt perfectly to outrange G&Ws bair or he gets *****. In exchange G&W can't afford to make the slightest spacing mistake or he'll get grabbed, which means ~16% DMG from a bthrow. On the other hand, Dedede has to be campy without spamming his Waddle Dees - one Waddle Doo is a already a full bucket for G&W. G&W is known for destroying spotdodgers (which is why he has such an advantage over ROB), something Dedede is usually good at.
KOing is a non-issue here: Dedede lives virtually forever against most opponents but G&W has ridicoulusly overpowered finishers to KO Dedede faster than he likes. Dedede can't deal that much damage without his Chain Grab but G&W is extremely light - utilt and bair are devastating.
G&W has to play an all-out risk game to get in bair range and Dedede has to be patient and must wait for his chance, while G&W constantly pressures him. This can be tedious for both of them: Both of them play their preferred game but neither of them is really happy with that. G&W can take the offense but has to penetrate Dededes defense without making a mistake. Dedede can play defensively but has to deal with that annoying little guy the whole time and has to keep him at a distance without making a mistake.
It's one of the most exiting and underrated match-up's in the game. Either side has the same chances to win.

#1: Wario vs R.O.B

I always think of Wario as the new Captain Falcon. He's powerful, fun to watch and his presence alone brings an exitement into the game, that's hard to compare with something else. R.O.B on the other hand is a pure, unfiltered camping machine, who's only goal seems to be to disgust every opponent to death with his Sidestep -> dsmash or his dsmash out of shield. Both characters are the complete opposite of each other. The only things they have in common is their heavy weigth and their really good recoveries. Other than that, they are completely different: Wario is the quirky type, who moves around in the air like a baloon (or rather like a puffball), who is high-risk/reward playing and who completely obliterates the Shield of his opponent. He minimizes them with his dair in no time and the rest gets eaten by his bite. His fsmash is one of the most broken finishing moves in the game, something even R.O.B has to worry about. But he also has a glaringly obvious lack of range on his moves, one of his only weaknesses.
R.O.B isn't downright slow but compared to Wario is rather immobile, especially in the air. He doesn't take risks at all, he's the safety first kind of character. Don't attack your opponent if your not sure to hit. Rather do a sidestep -> dsmash, fire a laser or play some nasty ledge camping games before you mess up anything. Both characters are strong in the air in their own way, which can lead to some interesting duels.
This is where the two most different kinds of gameplay meet each other:
Wario is creative and has a mindgame potential that can overcome many match-up issues.
R.O.Bs defense is a force of his own and is hard to crack for most characters.
Wario is one of the few characters, who has the right tools to break R.O.Bs defense and to play his beloved kick@$$ game. R.O.B is one of the few characters, who has the right tools to stop Wario from coming and play his beloved kick@$$ game.
And who wins? The better player of course

kr3wman

Smash Master
*cough*Dittoes*cough*

Oh yeah, and Wario is not the new Captain Falcon.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
this is pretty good. are these all of the even matchups or the top even matchups?

J4pu

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but I disagree with Kirby vs Falco
I think kirby has 55-45 or 60-40 advantage
(it could just be personal experience playing bias)
but Kirby gets a grab on Falco and it's like Falco getting a grab on DK (although Kirby's CG/combo takes a bit more skill imo). Kirby can avoid lasers by ducking which forces a stalemate from afar, so kirby doesnt gain anything but neither does falco.
I will say that SHDL will force kirby to face Falco in the air so he can't do any Bair WoP spacing but overall imo kirby has the advantage

EDIT- even though I don't play either (yet) I think you are very wrong with D3 vs GW
sorry for disagreeing so much i guess, i just dont see it

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lol, Sonic and Snake, but people will trash me for saying that.

I don't feel like getting into the whole thing, but Sonic can get past every single projectile snake has. Nades are the biggest problem, and thats not much of a prob because Sonic can use them against snake very well(unless if a nade counter of course).

Sonic is one of the few characters that has the speed to get through Snakes defenses and punish any whiffed moves.

Sonic> Snake in the Air, Sonic can gimp Snake relatively easily.

Snake can kill Sonic really early, and has better range in the ground. But then again, he can do that to just about anyone else anyways =P. Thats just about the only thing he has on Sonic.

Don't mention priority, please.

And how about Marth vs like, everyone not named mk? =P

Amide

Smash Lord
Mario Sonic? MK Snake? IDK...

And did someone really just say Sonic Snake?

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I always think of Wario as the new Captain Falcon. He's powerful, fun to watch and his presence alone brings an exitement into the game, that's hard to compare with something else. R.O.B on the other hand is a pure, unfiltered camping machine, who's only goal seems to be to disgust every opponent to death with his Sidestep -> dsmash or his dsmash out of shield. Don't attack your opponent if your not sure to hit. Rather do a sidestep -> dsmash, fire a laser or play some nasty ledge camping games before you mess up anything.

The above sentences are BS. You sir, fail. You where right about ROB not wanting to be risky, but you had too much fun playing on stereotypes.

But Wario = Melee falcon just ***** it all.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Shut tp. If you don't have anything to say, you should get your @$$ out of this topic

Foxy

Smash Master
Shut tp. If you don't have anything to say, you should get your @$$ out of this topic
Judging by the topic you made, you didn't have anything to say, either. Get off of the boards?

Seriously, this is the most pointless thing I've ever seen. Dittos are the most even, and apart from that there are countless almost-even matchups but no difinitive calls can be made.

And who the hell wants to know? It's not beneficial in any way.

And since I NEED to contribute, I'll throw in Ganon vs. Ganon, Bowser vs. Bowser, and Ike vs. Ike as the three MOST even matchups in the game, because even in dittos playstyles count as matchup differences (at a deeper level) and those characters are the slowest and have the least amount of variety in their options to give birth to many playstyles. Both players should have the exact same style.

Guess what learning that did for anyone? Nothing, apart from finding out that slow character-dittos are as boring as Brawl.

Amide

Smash Lord
But it's cool to know the most even matchups... What's the problem?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Judging by the topic you made, you didn't have anything to say, either. Get off of the boards?

Seriously, this is the most pointless thing I've ever seen. Dittos are the most even, and apart from that there are countless almost-even matchups but no difinitive calls can be made.

And who the hell wants to know? It's not beneficial in any way.

And since I NEED to contribute, I'll throw in Ganon vs. Ganon, Bowser vs. Bowser, and Ike vs. Ike as the three MOST even matchups in the game, because even in dittos playstyles count as matchup differences (at a deeper level) and those characters are the slowest and have the least amount of variety in their options to give birth to many playstyles. Both players should have the exact same style.

Guess what learning that did for anyone? Nothing, apart from finding out that slow character-dittos are as boring as Brawl.
It's already been established that dittos are obviously not what this trhead is about. Good job raging over nothing.

Foxy

Smash Master
But it's cool to know the most even matchups... What's the problem?
How the heck is this cool to know? Give me on reason why knowing the most "even" matchups is interesting or useful.

It's already been established that dittos are obviously not what this trhead is about. Good job raging over nothing.
If it's not about dittos then it isn't about anything. They DEFINE an even matchup. No other matchup can even be close to even (other than with large amounts of guesswork) because characters are so different. There may be a similar win probability among the two, but it still isn't "even".

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Peach versus Ike is generally regarded as the posterboy of even match-ups. Every flaw Peach has, Ike can capitalize on it. The problems Ike displays? Peach has the tools for that. Makes for a fun match.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Marth and Ike were agreed to something like 60:40 or 65:35 Marth. If you think 60:40 is moreorless even, then be all means go ahead with it, nobody is stopping you.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Snake vs. Lucario is more even than Lucario vs. Lucario (since two aura-multipliers=tiny mistakes make huge consequences) IMO. Lucario's F-smash competes with Snake's ridiculous tilts, and although Snake has good damage, Lucario combos easily.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think Falco against Zelda is very, very even. Falco can't chain grab, his aerial approaches in general get in trouble from Zelda's upsmash. However, he out camps, so Zelda has to move in and disrupt his camping game with unorthodox tactics. I use double lightning kicks to approach. Another cool thing is that Zelda can get hit by a laser while Din's is out, Din's will go all the way hit the ground and explode, but the laser frees up Zelda to do whatever she wants.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Snake vs. Lucario is more even than Lucario vs. Lucario (since two aura-multipliers=tiny mistakes make huge consequences) IMO. Lucario's F-smash competes with Snake's ridiculous tilts, and although Snake has good damage, Lucario combos easily.
I wish I had a facepalm pic somewhere on my computer....

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
IMO the Kirby vs Falco matchup swings in Kirby's favor if he finds a good way to approach. Personally I use Final Cutter a lot, take advantage of its disjointed hitbox without worrying about being reflected. The projectile's range is short enough that reflection isn't that big an issue anyway, and it sets up nicely to put Kirby within range for his offensive options. Also, the DI capabilities during FC mean I can react during the move if Falco changes his patterns.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
"First of all, Kirbys approaching options are rather poor - not as bad as somebody like let's say Fox but they are by no means great".

Lol, I seriously don't get what you have against Fox.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sheik vs Mario

They can both combo

They can both gimp

They both have there respectable projectile

and most impotently neither of them holds any large if any advantage in ground, air or off stage combat.

Top Bottom