• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Furret24

Smash Master
Hello MK mains. I'm bad with introductions, so I'll just say that I'm a Game and Watch main who wanted to try out Meta Knight. I'm really liking him so far. I seem to be doing decently with him (in FG, so take that with a grain of salt).

I hope you enjoyed my terrible introduction here.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Explain please.
It can landing sync/cancel as well.
I may have actually properly remembered to save a replay of me doing it, to those who doubt... I'll have a look for it later and see if it passes the Radical Test.

It does alright damage, it can kill, it's a lot safer than you'd expect, especially if ledges or platforms are near by.
There's likely combo set ups into it that are of more benefit in a given scenario than tornado or perhaps shuttle loop even.

Although everyone and their mother would think "Nah mate, i'm just going to dash attack/grab in a tech situation instead", you can cover most options with it at once, bounce cancel on a misread, and if you are near the ledge and pull them with you slightly off stage and angle it in such a way that you grab the ledge afterwards, you have ledge drop nair/bair as a feasible set up. In general, using drill rush near the ledge as an edge guarder is under explored.

Also a lot better in doubles IMO; I'd say it's closer to brawl tornado in terms of doubles utility than S4 tornado.

I'm yet to do it, but I have the dream of up airing someone above me, waiting/reading the air dodge, than drill rushing into them angled upwards for a stock. It will kill off the top stupidly early if you can drag people up there, it's just how are you ever going to be up there for it? Reason the idea came up originally was from a janky disadvantaged state mix up, which I guess could be worked on in itself and probably be reliable, but THE DREAM.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
It can landing sync/cancel as well.
I may have actually properly remembered to save a replay of me doing it, to those who doubt... I'll have a look for it later and see if it passes the Radical Test.

It does alright damage, it can kill, it's a lot safer than you'd expect, especially if ledges or platforms are near by.
There's likely combo set ups into it that are of more benefit in a given scenario than tornado or perhaps shuttle loop even.

Although everyone and their mother would think "Nah mate, i'm just going to dash attack/grab in a tech situation instead", you can cover most options with it at once, bounce cancel on a misread, and if you are near the ledge and pull them with you slightly off stage and angle it in such a way that you grab the ledge afterwards, you have ledge drop nair/bair as a feasible set up. In general, using drill rush near the ledge as an edge guarder is under explored.

Also a lot better in doubles IMO; I'd say it's closer to brawl tornado in terms of doubles utility than S4 tornado.

I'm yet to do it, but I have the dream of up airing someone above me, waiting/reading the air dodge, than drill rushing into them angled upwards for a stock. It will kill off the top stupidly early if you can drag people up there, it's just how are you ever going to be up there for it? Reason the idea came up originally was from a janky disadvantaged state mix up, which I guess could be worked on in itself and probably be reliable, but THE DREAM.
I'd like to learn about that landing cancel. Drill Rush definitely has its uses, especially for recovery, but I still feel that it could be better. It's probably the most situational side B of all my mains, but I'd like to make good use of it if I can.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I think one of the reasons it's underused is that enemies can pop out of it easily, especially if they DI (I would imagine). And that makes it pretty risky, especially dragging them off stage because if you fail to land the last hit on them, you don't get the pop back and you will straight up die. It's alright as an edgeguarding option for low recoveries as in jump offstage, drill back to the ledge, because if you catch them it's likely that they get stage spiked when the drill cancels on the ledge ( ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology does this I think).

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Welp some more results down here but I'll keep it short this time:

Back to placing 9th at the monthly, but it was a massive climb in losers after dropping a set in winners early due to incompetence with my controller at the beginning of the day. (been playing a lot more 3DS lately for screwing around, going back to a GC feels weird every time since don't have an adapter)

Outside of some close matches with Falcon, Fox and Wario, funny game I'm gonna point out:
Won a set over a Sonic by getting a 2-stock via a sour-spot shuttle loop (launches extra high, out of range of the second hit), causing him to fly off the top at (if I remember), 60% and 40 something% with a bit more rage in the same game.

---

With that video about drill rushing the wind box, didn't Tech do something similar by exploiting rising moves via pushbacks with tornado and FLUDD?

With that done, I go back to lurking for another month...

busken

Smash Ace
I'll PM it u when I get in fam, wanna keep it for mk users yknow.
thanks man! Also I finished my d-tilt analyis frame data where I look at the frame advantage and choose the most optimal option trip or not. I'll post the thread later today

busken

Smash Ace
Uh...when is a lot of this information from Ulevo coming back? I regularly link people to the Meta Knight Resource and the fact a lot of that information now isn't here is kind of obnoxious.
Pls don't share with non mk mains it could be detrimental

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Pls don't share with non mk mains it could be detrimental
I share it with people who have picked up MK. Last person I sent that list to was M2K, who was interested in the thread. Meta Knight is now one of his three primary characters.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I think one of the reasons it's underused is that enemies can pop out of it easily, especially if they DI (I would imagine). And that makes it pretty risky, especially dragging them off stage because if you fail to land the last hit on them, you don't get the pop back and you will straight up die. It's alright as an edgeguarding option for low recoveries as in jump offstage, drill back to the ledge, because if you catch them it's likely that they get stage spiked when the drill cancels on the ledge ( ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology does this I think).
Yep. Wrecks certain people's recoveries that rely on going low. You can also just curve the Drill to where they pop out of it from the bottom and if they have a recovery that is weaker on vertical trajectory...RIP.

I've been saying Drill Rush is underrated for months now.

Dogivet Dogivet - Yes, that was me also. In fact, on a funny side note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=8&v=rkCZPTUs1FU

This was posted yesterday and the internet peoples immediately jumped in to defend this as mine and S smasher1001 's. Too good. LOL @ SoCal tryna claim a Midwest creation. We invent those.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
It's such a fun combo. Just upward hitting shenanigans in general. We're also working out the Metaknight/Megaman doubles meta slowly, which has some interesting synergies as well aside from the instant anywhere on stage sacrifice KO.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Wow those guys are like 3 months late, inb4 someone does nado + marcina shieldbreak and act like its their creation. Not like ito and tearbear did it first and made kiraflax rage.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
PM me that info too. Or maybe have a googledoc/pastebin that only we have the link to.

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
lol that drill thing looks so cool i have use it when peps roll a lot u can read rolls with drill but u gotta be sure of that read nado can read rolls too is just ur decision on what to style with lmao and i have been thinking on using u tilt more on chars that cant land for *** it makes a cute path too the u airs but i heard it cant true combo into nothing thats why i dont abuse of it

I'll PM it u when I get in fam, wanna keep it for mk users yknow.
i did saw that u released it and it makes sense better keep it only for us we dont want peps seeing or secrets

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Can I get the info too? I haven't been playing smash 4 as much lately but I'd still like as much data on my main for when I do play as possible.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So I picked MK for an online tourney to test things out and see what buffs/nerfs MK got from the patch. So. I joined a que, picked MK with my Gamecube controller (this is important later), and played in practice waiting for the que. After the que finished, the tourney screen popped up showing the bracket, my match was chosen, I was sent BACK into the training room (where something odd happened), I got into my match, and I SD'd after realizing what went wrong.
During the time I was sent briefly into the training room for my first match, it automatically switched from Gamecube controller to Gamepad, which I have no idea how to play smash with, ergo the SDs. This happened THE FOLLOWING 4 times. My Gamepad was on a flat surface where nothing was touching to buttons, and my GC controller was plugged in correctly, so it HAD to be a bug. I decided to test this further, as I went to FG and FF afterwards to just see if it's an online issue, which isn't the case.

Last edited:

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
so apparently we didnt got any buffs just one in up b 3 2 frames more active hitbox i guess we are looking good and they nerfed luigi d throw he cant kill at 90% he has no more true combos from d throw like nair cyclone anymore for those who dont know

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Opinions on the patch in general? (not including mk because #buffcity) I'm not really sure if this patch was a positive change or negative one right now. Only time will tell i guess

thanks man

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Opinions on the patch in general? (not including mk because #buffcity) I'm not really sure if this patch was a positive change or negative one right now. Only time will tell i guess
Definitely overall positive. Luigi nerfs, global shield change that helps Sheik less than most other characters, Samus buffs. Today was a good day.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
This is kinda late but meh.

Got 17th in my first official tourny. Won a few matches, sent to losers by the capital's champion who plays a badass Pac-man (managed to take it to game three and a very close last hit situation) had a nice run in losers, stage spiking everyone for the win (the irony) . Lost a to a friend of mine who plays Pit and Dr. Mario. I know this will sound like a John, but I was exhausted by the time I had to play him. I had to run around and shout at people for very long amounts of time and couldn't eat a single thing since morning. I bet I could have won if I wasn't that tired.

Tourny was a success over all. Officially the biggest in the country with an attendent count of 49 people. Pretty happy with the number and im optimistic about them all showing up again. **** happened regarding controllers cause of pro controllers syncing and desyncing, I also had to allow some to use gamepads and it wasted no less than an hour or even more over all.

Best part about all this is that I'm probably getting a sponser. I need capture cards and lag free TVs cause I don't want to have to borrow all of them again. I hope he provides me with enough $$$ to buy the things I need.

Satisfied with the whole event pretty much. I'm going to learn from my mistakes and work to make my next event even better.

Last edited:

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
idk but the shield thing hasnt affected my playstyle maybe when i fight someone like a hard agressive sheik or pika i will see the difference im happy luigi got nerfed now i can do mk and pika

EDIT: now i understand the shield thing well is gonna be fun to see what peps do with that change or what we could do with it.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
I tried using d-air to camp on people's shield. It's not good lol.

Edit: So Shaya Shaya you play Mk now? You've been stalking the board for a bit

Last edited:

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
true i have seen Shaya Shaya here recently and yo i think something like fair or bair would be better when we need to get kills if we end up missing the chain because of the multihits fair to shuttle loop and bair kills im gonna try it more often so see how it goes

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Just played today and really didn't notice that big of a difference in like anything. Only the shield thing made me mess-up the timing on some punishes like dash grabs o other stuff, but nothing really besides that.

Btw, I'm so bad that I can only kill puff from 0 with Uairs and Shuttle Loop, haven't gotten any better against other characters, and on Saturday there will be a tournament, I'm pretty worried of doing not that good, at least I have a decent neutral game, I hope that helps and I don't mess-up my Uair strings

Top Bottom