• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Im practicing Ryu in train mode while thinking about how we can use jab, i can't think of anything tbh. The end lag is hella low like F-smash low but still.

Ftilt is now viable near the ledge, not only does it have slightly more range than F-smash but also comes out on frame 6. I just tested it with the best DI i could do and Gdorf died at 145%

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
The reach on F-Tilt 1 was buffed a lot. It matches its sword-trail now. The only move left that has bad sword trails is D-Smash, which is unchanged

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
are you really killing him at 140%? i couldnt kill diddy in training at 140% near the edge with ftilt

i think jabs final hits knockback was nerfed a bit but i cant be sure.

im seeing the less cooldown on jab and 8% ftilt buff

i dont see any change to fthrow at all or any other moves atm

i see a lot of potential in tech chasing at low%s starting from jab at 0-40 and ftilt at 0-10. it seems you can reach them before they have any options if they miss a tech and they are still stuck in hitstun before they hit the ground.

combo that i think might be viable now is sweetspot dash attack at 0 vs fastfallers into jab, then tech chase when they hit the ground.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
is the landing lag on mks nair different?

ok im 99% certain it was lowered

i just got nair into the ground to dash attack to register as a true combo on falcon at 10%

ok im 100% certain it was lowered there are lots of true combos from it now

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
is it just me or did nair's landing lag also get reduced a little?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Yep it's landing lag is changed, the animation when he nairs into the ground is quicker and as ito said it sets up DA on falcon if you sweetspot. Nair oos is the ****--ftilt overall got buffed the most.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
So Metaknight got buffed? Sweet. Can some of the good player here give some applications for the buffs(like new combos or general usefulness of the buffs etc.)

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
No Luigi nerf guys. At least the Dthrow one is purely misinformation.

But life still got a bit easier. Moar 2 stocks for Ito!

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
is the landing lag on mks nair different?

ok im 99% certain it was lowered

i just got nair into the ground to dash attack to register as a true combo on falcon at 10%

ok im 100% certain it was lowered there are lots of true combos from it now
I count 14 frames of landing lag on N-Air. It used to be 20 frames so yeah.

Our N-Air now ties with Luigi's N-Air landing lag at 14 frames. Neat.

Edit: It may be 16 frames. I'm not 100% sure. Testing frames in training mode is finicky but N-Air lag was significantly reduced either way.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Just finished at Smash N Splash. I got 1st seed in my first pool but 4th in my 2nd pool so I failed to make it out. I went 100 percent vanilla MK in a mini national customs event. 182 for singles I think. I conquered Palutuena, Mii Brawler and more. I did lose to some jank though.

Doubles I got Top 8 so I made money there.

I have so much work to do. But I impressed a lot of people. I got a lot of props too..

And yeah I found out about the buffs. That makes me sooooo happy about F Tilt.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I wish I was as excited as a lot of you, but I'm so infuriated by the unnecessary nerfs given to Diddy Kong that I might just quit this game competitively because it's clear Sakurai doesn't know how to balance a fighting game at all. A character like Captain Falcon gets nerfed, yet a character like Shiek is left alone. Makes zero sense, except that Sakurai pays attention to so few tournaments that a single win by ZeRo at a Japanese tounment probably had a huge influence on the direction of the balance patches. https://twitter.com/ZeRoSSB/status/610177076600172545

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I'd need to test how ftilt is affected by rage. It doesn't kill that early without it. BUT the angle is so great for putting the guy offstage. It's a great setup for a Bair / reverse Nair / SL.

Landing with Nair is still dangerous but it'll be doable as a mix up from dj dair and ff behind to grab. Neat.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
ftilt 1 into upb is a pretty good trap at 100+%. it kills and the only way to escape is by jumping + mash airdodge. anything else and they die i think

Ulevo

Smash Master
ftilt 1 into upb is a pretty good trap at 100+%. it kills and the only way to escape is by jumping + mash airdodge. anything else and they die i think
This does not work. They buffer a shield and you eat a punish. Forward tilt 2 might at certain %, maybe past 120%.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Since Sakurai seems hellbent on butchering my favorite character in the game and probably will continue to do so until ZeRo stops winning tournaments with that character, I'm seriously thinking about dropping him and just focusing on Meta Knight. With Diddy's nerfs and MK's buffs, I strongly feel MK is better than Diddy Kong now.

-Diddy Kong has some of the worst kill power of any character in the game.
-His most recent up air nerf hurt its frame data and range, which hurt his combo game badly.
-His grab game got nerfed hardcore two balance patches in a row.
-Vulnerable recovery.

His weak kill power and vulnerable recovery didn't hold him back too much when he still had a fantastic grab and combo game, but these nerfs and possible future nerfs just make this character's future look bleak. I hate Sakurai so goddamn much. The nerfs to Diddy Kong were so unwarranted. But at least MK got some nice buffs. -_-

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Since Sakurai seems hellbent on butchering my favorite character in the game and probably will continue to do so until ZeRo stops winning tournaments with that character, I'm seriously thinking about dropping him and just focusing on Meta Knight. With Diddy's nerfs and MK's buffs, I strongly feel MK is better than Diddy Kong now.

-Diddy Kong has some of the worst kill power of any character in the game.
-His most recent up air nerf hurt its frame data and range, which hurt his combo game badly.
-His grab game got nerfed hardcore two balance patches in a row.
-Vulnerable recovery.

His weak kill power and vulnerable recovery didn't hold him back too much when he still had a fantastic grab and combo game, but these nerfs and possible future nerfs just make this character's future look bleak. I hate Sakurai so goddamn much. The nerfs to Diddy Kong were so unwarranted. But at least MK got some nice buffs. -_-
Thats what happens when people go around tier-whoring.

If it means we wont be seeing nearly as many diddy dittos n tournaments, I say nerf him into the ground. I literally could not care less about diddy. In brawl, he was whatever, but in smash4 he got stupid and people jumped all over that. I think it's more of a case of diddy being brought back to down to what he used to be as opposed to being "nerfed."

MK got nerfed hard; diddy just got reined in.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong was my #1 main in Smash since about a week after it came out and he's my favorite character in Brawl and Project M. He's also my second favorite video game character of all time, with DKC2 being one of my favorite games out there. I think he was perfectly fine in 1.07 and many people who hated Diddy Kong in 1.04 thought he was finally fair when the 1.06 balance patch released, so it's really bizarre he got nerfed to this extent. Wanting to see a character nerfed to the ground because he's a popular character is just a really selfish, cruel opinion to those who invest a lot into him. It's like I get sick of fighting Captain Falcon all the time, yet I think the changes made to him with the latest balance patch is absolute bull****.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Diddy Kong was my #1 main in Smash since about a week after it came out and he's my favorite character in Brawl and Project M. He's also my second favorite video game character of all time, with DKC2 being one of my favorite games out there. I think he was perfectly fine in 1.07 and many people who hated Diddy Kong in 1.04 thought he was finally fair when the 1.06 balance patch released, so it's really bizarre he got nerfed to this extent. Wanting to see a character nerfed to the ground because he's a popular character is just a really selfish, cruel opinion to those who invest a lot into him. It's like I get sick of fighting Captain Falcon all the time, yet I think the changes made to him with the latest balance patch is absolute bull****.
Well Diddy is still plenty good. Im sure some people love Charizard and Donkey Kong but they're on the bottom of the tier list.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Well if you ask me, if he truly was your favorite character, you wouldnt drop him just because he doesnt have an easy-bake throw combo anymore. You'd suck it up and make it work, despite the new limitations. Isnt that what us MK mains have been doing since smash4 launched?

And I checked the falcon boards. Didnt they only slightly nerf his upair? Doesnt sound so bad.

ZTD | TECHnology

I just got home after a 6 hour car ride home. Naturally the first thing I do is try out the new characters and MK.

The new F Tilt is beautiful. The knock back for killing is eh but the new setups we get.... I'm so stoked!

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I'm not even sure that it's a nerf tbh, it might combo even better now just like what Sheik's fair "nerf" did.

Jesus stop complaining about nerfs, diddy was still top 5 and now is still high tier. He'll be much more interesting to play since he can't win with cheap things and a frame 3 kill move. If he had been that way since day 1 (and he should have been), you would have loved playing him.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Hope no one decides to 'conveniently' try out MK AFTER he got buffed. Would be pretty y'know. <_<

Ftilt is looking sexy, got my rage kill move now, potential kill setup with slightly buffed range. Still don't know about jab but i guess its good for early tech chases.

Diddy got what was coming, him and his bandwagoners knew what Sakurai will do if they keep on cheesing him. Buuuut, it gives a pretty bad look on the community, cry cry cry until it gets nerfed. :/

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Diddy got what was coming, him and his bandwagoners knew what Sakurai will do if they keep on cheesing him. Buuuut, it gives a pretty bad look on the community, cry cry cry until it gets nerfed. :/
Does it though? When you have like 1-3 characters that are as blatantly dominant as diddy was, it creates a centralized metagame; diddy was really, really good, so a lot of people gravitated towards him because he was "braindead" and easy to win with. A character like diddy is actually very unhealthy for the meta of a game.

Another way to look at it is this: if you've ever played competitive pokemon (like say, on the pokemon showdown simulator), you'll probably remember a little pokemon called aegislash. It started out innocently enough, but once people discovered it's true potential, it run amok. You either brought a dedicated aegislash counter (sometimes two), or you lost to aegislash. This limited teambuilding, which of course means less creativity and diversity, which meant the game would become boring to play. Aegislash was so good, he outright invalidated certain pokemon. So before long, they banned aegislash from standard play, and the metagame only improved, as more pokemon become viable choices.

Some may see it as crying for nerfs, but I dont see a problem when it's an issue of balance. Diddy was too good, and now he's being balanced. The only reason you see diddy mains complain about this is because now they have to actually work for their wins like the rest of us do.

And if I'm being honest, I'm not a fan of tier lists. They're useful, but they also cause people to gravitate towards certain characters and avoid others. I've seen tier lists that have dedede as bottom or near bottom, but that simply isnt true (slight bias). He is a powerhouse in the right hands, but because he isnt as easy to use as LOL MUH TOP TIER, he's thought of as a weak or bad character.

tl;dr F U diddy.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Well Diddy is still plenty good. Im sure some people love Charizard and Donkey Kong but they're on the bottom of the tier list.
It's not like DK and Charizard went from high or top tier to bottom tier (though I wouldn't describe DK as a bottom tier character). No character should have been nerfed to the extent Diddy Kong, Little Mac, and Greninja received.

Well if you ask me, if he truly was your favorite character, you wouldnt drop him just because he doesnt have an easy-bake throw combo anymore. You'd suck it up and make it work, despite the new limitations. Isnt that what us MK mains have been doing since smash4 launched?

And I checked the falcon boards. Didnt they only slightly nerf his upair? Doesnt sound so bad.
His up air has lousy range, it's laggy, only does 6% damage, and its knockback is not strong by any means. Messing with the frame data and range of that move trashes his previous combo game and hurts his neutral game badly. A lot of his combo setups flat out don't work anymore. I don't even consider his up air a good move anymore. It got nerfed that hard. They also nerfed his grab game again, which was really unwarranted, but I could deal with the most recent nerfs to his grab game. I am not willing to deal with what was done to his up air. I also wouldn't say he was an easy-bake character after the previous balance patch. He was still a top ten character, but had to work much harder to get kills, his down throw had less hit-stun, and forward smash (one of his only strong moves) had added end lag making it a much more punishable move to where a bad read could be the end of his stock.

At this point, I feel like the only reason to continue maining him is pretty much out of character loyalty, but I feel he has a horrible future ahead of him because Sakurai doesn't know how to balance his own games properly. He just pays attention to one tournament that ZeRo won with Diddy Kong and Captain Falcon, and assumes they need to be nerfed. Diddy Kong will probably continue to receive nerfs for as long as ZeRo mains him.

Jesus stop complaining about nerfs, diddy was still top 5 and now is still high tier. He'll be much more interesting to play since he can't win with cheap things and a frame 3 kill move. If he had been that way since day 1 (and he should have been), you would have loved playing him.
In 1.06, I considered Diddy Kong a top ten character, but not a top five character. Now, he is low high tier at absolute best.

The problem more so is that the first balance patch complete ignored him, so he established an insane amount of dominance in the game. He was fair after 1.06 and his dominance reduced considerably after that balance patch.

Does it though? When you have like 1-3 characters that are as blatantly dominant as diddy was, it creates a centralized metagame; diddy was really, really good, so a lot of people gravitated towards him because he was "braindead" and easy to win with. A character like diddy is actually very unhealthy for the meta of a game.
Diddy Kong unhealthy for the metagame, but he wasn't after 1.06 patch. Prior to that balance patch, he pretty much invalidated about half the roster and was stupid easy. But with the 1.06, considerably more characters became viable because of his nerfs and he was no longer over powered. One of the best Diddy Kong players in the tristate area, Jtails, actually managed to lose a Ganondorf player sometime after 1.06 came out. That would've never happened prior to that balance patch.

Some may see it as crying for nerfs, but I dont see a problem when it's an issue of balance. Diddy was too good, and now he's being balanced. The only reason you see diddy mains complain about this is because now they have to actually work for their wins like the rest of us do.
He was balance with 1.06.

And if I'm being honest, I'm not a fan of tier lists. They're useful, but they also cause people to gravitate towards certain characters and avoid others. I've seen tier lists that have dedede as bottom or near bottom, but that simply isnt true (slight bias). He is a powerhouse in the right hands, but because he isnt as easy to use as LOL MUH TOP TIER, he's thought of as a weak or bad character.
King Dedede is an underrated character, but I wouldn't put him above mid tier. Though one bad read against Dedede and you can be dead at hardly anything. lol

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus : How are enjoying the character right now? Are you finding everything alright so far?

And man, I think I might end up playing with Roy if there's even an ounce of usefuleness MU wise for us there. He's a lot of fun. And I really dig non projectile characters as a whole. His speed and combo game feel great. Blazer makes me melt.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Same here, Roy's so fun! His ground game is crazy.

I'm pretty sure he'll get bodied by Sonic, Luigi, Yoshi and Zss => useless for me since these are the only MU where I'd need backup.

ZTD | TECHnology

I believe most of us can sympathize with the feeling of having your character nerfed. It is unfortunate. Diddy is still a really good character. Up Air's nerf does not break the character. He's still easy viable and really good. With that said, complaining about that to a character board who would be lucky to even be recognized by the public as Top 20 will not yield you too much compassion.

Also, this is the Meta Knight boards. I would much rather talk about Meta Knight things. I'm sure the Diddy boards has a thread or two for people pissed off about the patch. But people are overreacting in general. Welcome to patch life.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
You don't need a secondary to beat sluguigi. Period.

Just get a character that does well against ZSS, but that's only if you don't feel confident with MK for reasons related to not being good enough or something.

Everyone besides diddy mains seem to welcome the nerf out of hatred for the character, his reign of terror during the wii u patch was long. So long that he got nerfed twice.

The number of MKs wont increase because of the buff, he still has a high skill ceiling so you will still suck for like a month before seeing results. The buff benefits those who stuck with him for awhile since its basically adding more tools onto the kit we've somewhat mastered.

Nair expands our combo game and footstool combos
Ftilt expands are kill set ups, kill power and ks overall our official jab
Jab expands our combo game too but I don't think I'll use it much

Last edited:
Top Bottom