• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
SF > Smash bros

Smash bros "omg top tier, oh ryus high tier omg his FADC and dp are dumb"
Street fighters "hmm lets see what this character can do first, lets hit the lab and wait for results"

The difference is like night and day.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It's true. People draw conclusions on things way too fast in the community. Hours after the patch, I already see my facebook blowing up with "Ryu and Roy are busted and are Top 10 easily". I'm like bruh. This literally just came out. -_-

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
I've messing around with :4feroy: for a while, and I think :4metaknight: really doesn't have a problem against him. He wants to play aggro like Captain Falcon, but doesn't have the SH auto-cancel aerials to back it up. As long as we don't sit in shield long enough to get grabbed, we shouldn't be put in danger.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Nothings change MU wise other than Diddy getting nerfed, Falcon getting nerfed. We basically do better against characters we go even with or beat.

But we haven't really done anything with the buffs, its the first time we got a real buff.

I also think MK does well against Ryu, but Ryu has room to grow and MKs need to adjust with their new power.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah I'm gonna spend the next few days just labbing it up with F-Tilt for a while. Really excited to see what this adds to our gameplay.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I am not going to say Meta Knight does or does not do well against Ryu, but you cannot take him for granted. Ryu's input SRK has a massive hit box in front of him, to the degree that even longer range sword characters cannot viably space against his shield without risking a punish. This puts Meta Knight in an awkward situation because if you commit to something that is not a true combo or attempt to pressure Ryu you will die very early. At the very least, this match up is going to be far different than any other in the game exclusively because of this one move.

I feel the buffs we received are being misconstrued in their use. As far as I can tell there are no viable combo opportunities or set ups out of standard attack that are true or even remotely as good as the options he already has. The standard attack buff means very little. The neutral air buff is a nice perk, but if you were playing Meta Knight properly before it is not something you would even notice. I have attempted to combo this move at varying % with varying characters and they can always act out of neutral air 1 or 2. It does not truly follow up to anything, and you are never going to be in a situation where landing with neutral air looks like a good option.

The forward tilt trajectory change and the hit box change were the meaningful buffs this patch. I was over zealous to call this a kill move. You will not be killing people with this move unless you have excess rage and they are at high %, likely near the ledge of the stage. However, it does send characters off stage very well, and this is good for us. The set ups for forward tilt 1 and 2 are also good for us as it gives us a mix up option at varying % against certain characters. The biggest benefit is the range increase and the reduction in forward tilt 3 cooldown. Forward tilt 1 and 2 do not out range forward smash, but the difference in negligible. Forward tilt 3 definitely does. This makes our neutral game better, which was one of our weak points depending on stage position and match up.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
That's why i said 'Ryu has room to grow'. I know what im on about, any MU discussion related to Ryu is bullcrap since out of all dlc characters he has the most growth potential. He's already claimed to be the best dlc character yet and this is 1 day after his release.

I don't main Ryu, he's my secondary if anyone's confused.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

The more I play :4feroy:, the more he reminds me of :4metaknight:. It's weird. But would explain why I like playing him so much. Anyone else feel that way?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
The more I play :4feroy:, the more he reminds me of :4metaknight:. It's weird. But would explain why I like playing him so much. Anyone else feel that way?
They both have kill setups off of throws along with flashy looking strings?

Idk, but I've updated my guide to talk about our new buffs. I'll probably make a video explaining them all too.

D

Deleted member

I feel the same way actually. It's weird though because I thought I'd enjoy Lucas the most out of the new DLC characters, guess I was wrong. There's only one true swordsman for me, though. :4metaknight:

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
I'd be VERY wary about Ryu, he just looks like a flat out better version of Mario to me. He can get ridiculous ~80% kills with dtilt/utilt into manual Shoryuken, but the range play and spacing needed to pull that off is much harder in Smash than in Street Fighter where you can facehug, back them into a corner, and vortex them much more often. His recovery is about on par with Mario's (might actually be somewhat easily intercepted by MK with a decent read). TATSMUMKAIFSAUNOEAPOUNDCAKE has a lot of priority. Shoryuken OOS is like shuttle loop OOS. All his aerials are quite usable and have low landing lag/autocancel. He doesn't exactly have any glaring weaknesses as the "all-around" character of Street Fighter, just like how Mario doesn't have anything very notable weaknesses except for maybe his range and recovery relative to most of the cast.

He might fall fast enough for MK to do some nasty thangs to him though. Ryu is definitely a character I will look forward to spectating in future Smash 4 tournies, it'll be quite funny since a lot of Smash pros lack even basic SF knowledge and quite a few of them might be stumped on how he works while others will know him like the back of their hand.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Meta Knight's ground game is not miles better. Roy's ground game is solid.
His DA is worse, his dash grab is worse, his dash into shield is worse, his rolls are(probably) worse, his throw game is worse.

Yep miles better. Ryu also has frame 3 and 4 confirms into SRK.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Roy feels great. I've been landing KOs with Fsmash at like 50% against lightweights. But I don't think MK will have a problem against him. Roy likes to keep the opponent in the air and catch landings, but MK should be able to land fine against him.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
If someone says that MK is bad, agree with them we welcome more buffs. Unless MKs in Japan get gud and win loads nothing will happen, its impossible for MK to dominate FG because skill barrier,sucky in lag and skill barrier.

Buffs only benefit those who stuck with him, Ito keep calling him trash pls people listen to you more. Ryu is absolutely disgusting, everyone should keep an eye on the world warrior more than those other chars that came as well forgot their names cuz Ryu stole the show.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
if mk was bad i wouldnt use him

i used diddy when he was #1 because he was my best chance of winning, then i used mk because he was my best. i thought it was pretty clear i was joking when i said he was bad lol

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
if mk was bad i wouldnt use him

i used diddy when he was #1 because he was my best chance of winning, then i used mk because he was my best. i thought it was pretty clear i was joking when i said he was bad lol
I can't count the number of commentators that quoted you in all seriousness saying that "according to ito, mk's bad". You really messed up with the opinion. :p

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I could've sworn the last time I watched Come on and Ban I heard a commentator say that he (Ito) thinks Mk is one of the best characters in the game.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
His DA is worse, his dash grab is worse, his dash into shield is worse, his rolls are(probably) worse, his throw game is worse.

Yep miles better. Ryu also has frame 3 and 4 confirms into SRK.
Roy has a better standard attack, he as an actual short hop game to work with, a really good down tilt, a dash grab that is solid, the ability to cancel his run in to a disjointed special, and his grab game leads in to a vortex. You're honestly underestimating the character.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Roy has a better standard attack, he as an actual short hop game to work with, a really good down tilt, a dash grab that is solid, the ability to cancel his run in to a disjointed special, and his grab game leads in to a vortex. You're honestly underestimating the character.
Sh game? That's not ground game sorry.

I'm not underestimating him, MK is just better at playing the ground game. Of course it'll look like im underestimating him since you're literally comparing him to a character that excels at this aspect. MKs Ftilt is now hella good for more than one reason and im glad you agree that MKs dash gab is much better was getting worried.

MKs grab game leads into kill moves too and MK has 2 kill throws, their ground game is nowhere near close. Roy has better ground speed,range and power. His OOS move has better kill power, but that's his only OOS tool while MK has 2(Nair oos sucks not counting that).

MKs ground game is better, probz won't reply to the next one i'm not really gaining anything out of this.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Alright. You can compare them all you like. All I am saying is you are either underrating Roy or you are overrating your own character. Probably both.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
It's not good to jump to conclusions on either side, not only this early but when "better" is extremely subjective in this game to begin with.

I mean Roy has super-armor on his grounded Up-B from frame 4-10 which seems to immediately transition into invincibility on frame 11; even move for move comparison's are difficult due to each character's different traits. There's a lot about the DLC characters we need to figure out how to utilize before anyone starts talking of viability and match-ups. Even play-styles are very open-ended at this point. I and a few other smashers I travel with share the opinion that Roy plays like a much stronger Brawl Sheik. One of Ohio's strongest Sheik players is picking up Roy for that reason. I myself am actually enjoying my old Brawl main in Smash 4 more-so than I do any other character thanks to the patch.

Speaking of MUs tho, if any of you suspect a MU may have changed due to the buffs or nerfs that MK or any other character received, post about it in that character's MU thread. Due to the patch, MU discussions will resume next Monday (likely Sunday night) with:4pikachu:.

This week I'll get a resource directory up and stickied because @ Ulevo Ulevo has been putting in major work recently but the threads keep getting buried under thread clutter...

ZTD | TECHnology

It's not good to jump to conclusions on either side, not only this early but when "better" is extremely subjective in this game to begin with.

I mean Roy has super-armor on his grounded Up-B from frame 4-10 which seems to immediately transition into invincibility on frame 11; even move for move comparison's are difficult due to each character's different traits. There's a lot about the DLC characters we need to figure out how to utilize before anyone starts talking of viability and match-ups. Even play-styles are very open-ended at this point. I and a few other smashers I travel with share the opinion that Roy plays like a much stronger Brawl Sheik. One of Ohio's strongest Sheik players is picking up Roy for that reason. I myself am actually enjoying my old Brawl main in Smash 4 more-so than I do any other character thanks to the patch.

Speaking of MUs tho, if any of you suspect a MU may have changed due to the buffs or nerfs that MK or any other character received, post about it in that character's MU thread. Due to the patch, MU discussions will resume next Monday (likely Sunday night) with:4pikachu:.

This week I'll get a resource directory up and stickied because @ Ulevo Ulevo has been putting in major work recently but the threads keep getting buried under thread clutter...
Sweet. I meant to take care of this bit that school life has me lock lol

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Sometime I get bored and get myself into artsy projects.
That's neat. Someday I want to paint my controller or do something as well. I feel like I should replace my shell though, it's kinda scratched up and in bad condition. If I follow through I'll probably end up replacing the stick too, because it's worn down as hell.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
You play with a pro controller? I always thought the position of the second stick was bad, but do you like it/how did you adjust to it?

I think I need to get myself a plushie, too...
I had to force myself to get used to it due to the shortage of adapters. I really just like the position of the buttons, like having both jump buttons next to A and B. I don't have too much of a problem with the C-stick. Since I play Mk I don't find myself needing to do things like retreating f-air. I usually don't touch it unless I just do it accidentally by instinct lol..

Top Bottom