• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Anyone feel like having a MU against any of the new characters since we'll be seeing them a lot for now? I know that they just came out but I think at least discussing basics and things to look out will go a long way. Especially against Ryu.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I can tell you right now that we have absolute power over Roy offstage. I'll upload a set later today probably.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah I've gotten to play around with that myself. If you can get them before you use Blazer (super armor on the start and invincibility later; I wish our Up B had that lol), they're done lol. Looking forward to seeing the set.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

That's how I feel too. Lucas feels like the most free to them all. Sure he can run away a bit and wavebounce his PK Fire but that won't really stop us. I feel like his extreme floatiness is a major liability for him in the MU. And his aerials are insanely unsafe on shield. Doesn't help that he has a tether grab too (it's not as bad the others but still).

I feel like Roy wants to do many of the same things as us and maybe he has an easier time closing the spacing gap because of his much better aerial acceleration and he has useful tools like Blazer and a nice combo game but I feel like Meta Knight does what Roy wants to do but better and on top of it has the ability to control space better and run because of the additional jumps. I don't think Roy is free at all though (at least in neutral).

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Can we 0-death Lucas with footstools like Ness?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Can we 0-death Lucas with footstools like Ness?
Yes you can, i got a replay where i got the footstool into FF Nair i then got 2 uairs but i dropped it and went for Bair. Nice 37% though.

Due to his floatiness he gets abused by Ftilt stuff. Edgeguarding him is like edgeguarding Ness.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
As in N-air > Dash attack > U-air
Or
N-air > U-air?

Ras99

Smash Rookie
I think Meta Knight wins consistently vs Lucas and he has a small advantage vs Roy, but It is too early, so I think we should wait.
I can't say anything on Ryu...

ZTD | TECHnology

7th out of 59 today.

Lost to some Diddy in my sponsorship group and the same Oli Mar I always lose to. I'm really starting to hate the Diddy MU.

I'm considering a secondary but I don't want to play anyone else. No one really feels as good to me. If I could I'd just solo MK all day. But I've hit a wall now. Stuck at 7th place. Keep losing to the same people. Keep dropping sets to people below my seeding because they play a better character and then everyone goes nuts saying "You beat Technology?? Great job!!". It's irritating. Not sure what to do. It's definitely affecting my morale.

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Shame to hear Tech, I still see that as a good result, just don't let it get to you. This can just happens sometimes.
I've won against people that were beating me constantly before hand, the opportunity will come eventually. Sometimes the opposite also happens where the person I've played and beaten before, comes out close and finishes it.
Best thing to do is shrug it off and move on.

Finally got a chance to practice, however, I'm kinda left with just computers so not much help there for my habits.
I also think I may be coming across the person who knocked me out of losers last time, played a very reactive Pit.
The two things if I remember that got me was being out ranged in the air and limited options on ledge getup (dash attack covered ledge drops and quick dash grabs on getup). Any of you guys have some advice maybe around that?
I know it's a little bit vague but I feel that you guys have more experience of defensive/reactive players.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I am beginning to think that MK is a top 5 character the more I play him

Does anyone feel the same way

Also I think Roy is extremely overrated

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meta Knight is good and is definitely slept on, but lets just keep that between us and let outsiders believe what they want to believe.

So I know that MK's jab got buffed, but is it really good enough to use now? I saw ITO using it earlier lol.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Meta Knight is good and is definitely slept on, but lets just keep that between us and let outsiders believe what they want to believe.

So I know that MK's jab got buffed, but is it really good enough to use now? I saw ITO using it earlier lol.

I don't really see any reason to use it over the new f-tilt, which has slightly improved range and much less lag

Although I heard somewhere that MK's jab is frame 1

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Name: Arkaizer (In red please, same color as my sig)
Talents: Playing smash counts, right? Wait, wait, I'm pretty decent at Touhou games. Maybe that could count.
Dislikes: for glory
Goals: Participate in a locals tournament and bring home the moneys
Other facts: uh

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Oh I guess I'll do that too

Name: Peter Park
Talents: Drawing
Dislikes: People with ****ty mentality
Goals: Have fun
Other facts: Been a competitive Smasher since '09

warionumbah2

Smash Master

Depends really, i use jab to set up tech chases against fast fallers. But floaty characters get abused by Ftilt.

Although I heard somewhere that MK's jab is frame 1
I don't trust anyone outside MK boards when it comes to MK. Period.

His jab and Ftilt come out at the same time: Frame 6

Edit: Love how Ito goes default and everyone uses top tiers with customs, hope default becomes a thing after EVO.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
ive been using spaced jab at the ledge to cover some options instead of tornado in some situations.

it covers ledgehop, neutral ledge get up and ledge attack and most characters that try to drop down and attack. it doesnt cover every frame in front of him so sometimes theyll slip through hits on neutral ledge get up and shield but then theyll get pushed back a lot and probably shield poked for final jab hit. as for why you would use this and not nado when it does less damage, this also covers people who hang on the ledge and just wait, so its covering an extra option over nado. it also has less startup time so its harder to react to.

i also hear dss on the mic saying that the mk boards list sheik as a 55-45 mu our favor and i never agreed to that lol...i guess thats more his fault than katakiris but honestly id rather we not have that number as i honestly dont believe any character actually beats sheik tbh

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I'm pretty sure it's frame 7 for jab, 6 for ftilt.

Agreed, we should rediscuss sheik asap.

About ledge options, what do you guys think of Usmash? I've been using it with great success to kill, and it's less risky than up B.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Meta knight's jab and F-tilt BOTH come out on frame 6.

EDIT: my b, wario. I didn't see you say that earlier. I was just referencing my guide/data thread.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Just to spark a discussion, how about we post an opinionated MU chart? Doesn't have to be the whole cast just ones you're confident in or play often. I'd like to see how our thoughts look next to each other y'know.

Plus im ****ed from the party yesterday so im kinda locked in my house lol

:4bowser: 70:30
:4falcon: 40:60
:4darkpit: 55:45
:4dedede: 70:30
:4diddy: 50:50
:4dk: 65:35
:4drmario: 80:20

:4falco: 60:40
:4fox: 45:55
:4ganondorf: 60:40
:4gaw: 60:40
:4jigglypuff: 70:30
:4kirby: 60:40
:4wiremac: 80:20
:4lucina: 55:45

:4luigi: 50:50(would be in our favor but too many MKs aren't camping, so its even due to MKs being sissies)
:4mario: 50:50
:4marth: 50:50

:4mewtwo: 70:30
:4ness: 60:40
:4olimar: 60:40
:4palutena: 70:30

:4pikachu: 45:55
:4pit: 50:50
:4rob: 40:60

:4robinm: 70:30
:rosalina: 60:40
:4sheik: 45:55
(God forbid anyone beats Sheik, everyone thinks she's an unbeatable God so whatevs idc)
:4shulk: 60:40
:4sonic: 40:60
:4villager: 60:40
:4yoshi: 40:60
:4zelda: 60:40
:4zss: 25:75
(if you main ZSS and lose against MK, you got serious problems and should really step up your game and stop sucking)

80:20 (big advantage)
70:30 (clear advantage)
60:40 (slight advantage)
50:50 (what do you think)

not including dlc characters that came recently, wanna give em a chance to actually develop their meta.

EDIT: my b, wario. I didn't see you say that earlier. I was just referencing my guide/data thread.
Nah its cool.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Not really imo.

I guess my snide comment is extreme but real talk, you're using a top tier with a clear advantage how could you lose this MU? But tbh this is based off pre patch MK and his neutral has been buffed thanks to his Ftilt buff.

Regardless of buffs its still our worst MU.

ZTD | TECHnology

I feel like you have to have a secondary for ZSS until you're Ito level (assuming your opponent is competent and has a rudimentary idea of what to do/look for against us).

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Doesn't have to be Ito level, just straight up high level and confidence. Out playing people gets you far, its a good thing ZSS is lightweight.

Just play the MU religiously, or you can spare yourself the work and get a secondary.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I just watched the matches from last night. Man, the buffs benefit Meta Knight's neutral game so much. Now if only Meta Knight's side special was safer move. Pretty much 90% of the most infuriating suicides I've gotten from Meta Knight have been a result of that move going wrong in weird ways.

ZTD | TECHnology

I've been focusing a lot on getting creative with Drill Rush and I've found all sorts of fun uses for it. You can aggressively edgeguard with it, tech chase with it and get some interesting punishes with it through mixups.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
My issue with drill rush is that I mis-input it all the time when I meant to use shuttle loop. I mainly play on 3ds, and maybe I'll stop doing it after I get a GCC adapter for my wii u, but idk. Does anyone else have this issue?

ZTD | TECHnology

I used to but you just gotta practice the inputs a bit just like everything else. It's not too hard and Drill Rush certainly has uses.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Can you link me to a current mk frame data?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Yeah, every MU discussion along with the data thread for more in-depth stuff. I can put the data in my guide too if you'd like.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Hi

Name: Jamurai
Talents: Pretty good at League, Smash and ultimate frisbee. I work in a bioscience lab
Likes: Games and sports/esports, music, Italian food, MK buffs
Dislikes: Inconsiderate people, lag, playing against Pit
Goals: For the near future, go to local tournaments and generally just improve

I love MK as a character, I played him in Brawl but I kinda went off him because of how broken he was, so playing with friends wasn't fun for long unless I switched; I am fairly good with a lot of the cast but my best are Falco, TLink and Sheik. Now he's more balanced I am dedicated to maining him and possibly Mario. I also like Fox and DK.

I'm hoping to improve with help from you guys, I aim to go to more tourneys in the UK when I have money (broke student atm) and do well as I gain experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom